Your most commonly used abilities?

SwiftySquid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
PlatninumGamer
What abilities do you guys use most often? I have a few that I like to use for a few reasons.

Damage Up: Gives me great killing power. Also, when I play Splat Roller, I can land great hits from yards away. (OP!)
Defense Up: Helps me to get to the front lines and stay alive for a long time. My mission is to kill, so it really helps.
Ink Saver (Main): I use the Krak-On Splat Roller, so it REALLY helps me keep inking without having to refill.
Ink Saver (Sub): For weapons such as the Custom Splattershot Jr. and Splat Roller, they have good subs. It helps me to use them more often.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
My most preferred abilities:

Bomb Range Up: Most of the time I pick weapons with throwable subs, so this ability will help my range game.
Quick Respawn: I don't want to be stuck waiting to respawn for long, especially when my teammates can't cover for themselves/take advantage of me distracting foes, so of course I want an ability that puts me back int the game sooner.
Special Charge Up: Since I feel that Special usage can make or break a game, I want to be able to get my gauge filled as soon as possible...
Special Saver: ...while also keeping as much of it as I can when I get splatted.
Quick Super Jump: Same logic as Quick Respawn, only applied to getting to a teammate in need.

SwiftySquid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
PlatninumGamer
My most preferred abilities:

Bomb Range Up: Most of the time I pick weapons with throwable subs, so this ability will help my range game.
Quick Respawn: I don't want to be stuck waiting to respawn for long, especially when my teammates can't cover for themselves/take advantage of me distracting foes, so of course I want an ability that puts me back int the game sooner.
Special Charge Up: Since I feel that Special usage can make or break a game, I want to be able to get my gauge filled as soon as possible...
Special Saver: ...while also keeping as much of it as I can when I get splatted.
Quick Super Jump: Same logic as Quick Respawn, only applied to getting to a teammate in need.
Ah. What are your mains?

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Ah. What are your mains?
I use the Splash-O-Matics the most (especially the Neo version since I maxed out the original), followed by the Dual Squelcher, the N-ZAP '85, and most recently the Heavy Splatling Deco. Basically, anything with great ink coverage and/or the ability to spoil foes' locations.

SwiftySquid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
PlatninumGamer
I use the Splash-O-Matics the most (especially the Neo version since I maxed out the original), followed by the Dual Squelcher, the N-ZAP '85, and most recently the Heavy Splatling Deco. Basically, anything with great ink coverage and/or the ability to spoil foes' locations.
Nice. My weapons are much different from yours...

Zolda

Full Squid
Swim Speed Up: This is a great ability that's pretty much universally applicable. It's great for getting back into battle, quick escapes, and just general movement. I use this on almost every one of my builds.

Ink Saver (Main): I've gone back and forth between this, Ink Recovery Up and Ink Saver (Sub), but I find that I get the most ink efficiency out of this than the other two, regardless of which of my preferred weapons I'm using.

Bomb Range Up: I've started using this one frequently only recently. My main is the Luna Blaster Neo, and this ability complements it incredibly well.

Quick Respawn: Even though obviously you should try to minimize how often you die, this is a great ability that really helps when you do die and when you're playing a game mode that just often results in a higher average number of deaths.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Back when I dabbled with the Slosher a bit, I had one each of Bomb Range Up and Ink Saver (Sub) on pretty much everything I wore. That was when I used and abused the Burst Bombs, thinking I could emulate Bomb Rushes with the amount of bombs I could throw whilst being able to hit things that were out of the Slosher's range. I concluded later that neither were really necessary for that.

Then, unintentionally, I managed to get 6 Quick Respawns on a Skate Helmet and Camo Zip Hoodie. The effect was definitely felt, and I did like being able to get back into the fray so quickly, but I didn't like losing 5 sub-slots to a single ability—especially one that had little applicability for battle.

Recently I got lucky with a triple Ink Saver (Main) roll (grazie, Spyke!), so I've been running that a bit. I haven't felt the effect that much, but as I've been using the N-ZAP 85 recently, I'd guess it's because I abuse the Splat Bomb fairly often, leaving me little ink to work with in general. Why it never occurred to me that I should get those Ink Saver (Sub) sub-slots back until I typed this out, I'll never know.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ink Recovery Up: Since the Heavy Splatling already gets about 4 1/2 full charge bursts with no Ink Savers, I prefer to be able to return to the fight quickly rather than staying in for about 3 more seconds and still having to flee

Run Speed Up: Ever heard of Blade Dancing? Well, here's Splatling Dancing

Comeback: This one... well, let's say Nintendo only put in one mask that I really, really like :(

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Swim Speed Up. I use it with practically every weapon I play.

Inky Corruption

Full Squid
NNID
ShaneTC
With long-range Chargers, I tend to stack a metric ton of Damage Ups and fill the rest with Ink Recovery Up. This is especially useful with the standard 3K where I may need an extra Burst Bomb to deal with a close-range threat.

With the current Bamboozler I like to run a lot of Ink Saver (Sub) to cut down the cost of Splash Wall, since ink recovery is heavily delayed when using it. It grants me a couple of extra shots as well as the ability to immediately deploy a second wall should the first one break down under heavy fire. I also run Swim Speed Up to emphasize on the mobility that the Bamboozler requires and Cold-Blooded so that the enemy can't keep track of me.

I've yet to build a loadout for the Squiffers, though. That might be interesting.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ink Resistance: My bread-and-butter Main Ability. I have 3 pairs of shoes with different subs to go with this (Sea Slugs with 2 Ink Recharge Ups and a Quick Respawn, Red Hi-Tops with TRIPLE Swim Speed Up, Moto Boots with 2 Run Speed Ups and another sub ability in the third slot).

Haunt: I like combining this ability with some Quick Respawns. Come back faster, and your getting splatted will still help the team.

Cold-Blooded: My choice for a Echolocator/Point Sensor metagame. being able to slip detection early allows me to ambush enemies who are now predictably hunting my teammates.

Ink Recharge Up: Superior to both Ink Savers on the Inkbrush and the Splatlings. Works even better paired with Ink Saver Main for maximum ink economy and stamina.

Polimario

Inkling
NNID
Polimario
Ink Saver (Main): I never go with out this. Helpful for when I use Gals or other ink-hungry weapons. I've been debating on replacing it with Ink Recovery Up though, since I primarily use the three Splatlings, and the Splattershots and O-Matics don't really need Ink Saver (Main).

Run Speed Up: Did I mention I use the Splatlings? That's why I always pack Run Speed. Really useful for mitigating the walking speed while charging and firing, and also works for when I use one of the Splattershots or Splash-O-Matics.

Ink Resistance: Honestly, this is an ability I've always like since Day 1. I hate being glued down if I end up in enemy ink. Even with the nerfs, I find it useful for escaping should I find myself in bad positions.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
:ability_ninjasquid:
I really like ninja squid, but I don't use it as often as I used to because of the swim speed. Nevertheless, when I do run ninja squid, I find that I can much more easily escape krakens and other situations where I need to flee, or if I need to sneak up on a charger. I wish I had a hat with 1 main swim speed and 3 subs so I could use this more often.

:ability_swimspeed:
Speaking of swim speed, I usually have at least 4 swim speed subs or one swim speed main because I think fast movement is imperative. Super jumping is often a bad idea, so swimming back into the fray is preferred, which means I need a lot of swim speed.

:ability_inkresistance:
I don't have too many loadouts without ink resistance. I know it can be considered a crutch, but the movement it provides is awesome when in a jam.

:ability_inksavermain:
I try to have at least 1 main or at least 3 subs of ink saver main because I detest running out of ink. It always seems to happen at the worst times, like when I need ONE more shot to splat someone.

I use a bunch of other abilities, but those are in almost every build.

Ayasha89

Full Squid
NNID
Ayasha89
I mainly do SZ, and kind of a Jack-Of-All Trades seems to do me well due to diminishing returns.

One main or 3 subs each of: Attack Up, Ink Recovery, Ink Saver Main, Special Charge Up/ Quick Respawn, whatever random subs.

Depending on the maps and my choice of weapon, I'll switch out some with Run Up or Swim Up. I got almost to A recently, so it's at least holding through the A ranks. I can't say if I'll strive for S+ or if that strategy would still be effective.

Last edited:

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Definitely :ability_inksavermain: and :ability_inkresistance:

Having more ink works for about every weapon: it gives you more time to attack and strike enemies. Since I often run out of ink in combat, I pack a few on my :wst_roller_brushnormal00:,:wst_roller_heavy00:,:wst_shot_explong00:,:wst_shot_gravity00:,:wst_shot_heavy00:,:wst_shot_heavy01:,:wst_shot_long00:,:wst_shot_quicklong00:, :wst_shot_quicklong01:, and sloshers. I also have a :clothes_shirt006: with :ability_inksavermain:l:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inkrecovery: and a :head_hat001: with:ability_inksavermain:l:ability_inksavermain::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksaversub:.

If you use a offencive weapon, Ink Resistance is great. If you fall into ink near an enemy, you often are a sitting duck for thier fire. Ink resistance gives you time to move out of the way and into your own ink.

Ayasha89

Full Squid
NNID
Ayasha89
Definitely :ability_inksavermain: and :ability_inkresistance:

Having more ink works for about every weapon: it gives you more time to attack and strike enemies. Since I often run out of ink in combat, I pack a few on my :wst_roller_brushnormal00:,:wst_roller_heavy00:,:wst_shot_explong00:,:wst_shot_gravity00:,:wst_shot_heavy00:,:wst_shot_heavy01:,:wst_shot_long00:,:wst_shot_quicklong00:, :wst_shot_quicklong01:, and sloshers. I also have a :clothes_shirt006: with :ability_inksavermain:l:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inkrecovery: and a :head_hat001: with:ability_inksavermain:l:ability_inksavermain::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksaversub:.

If you use a offencive weapon, Ink Resistance is great. If you fall into ink near an enemy, you often are a sitting duck for thier fire. Ink resistance gives you time to move out of the way and into your own ink.
It seems like you see Ink resist less often in favor of other abilities recently. I'm not sure why, because like you said it can help a lot. Especially with Run Up for escapes or a bit of strafing.

By the way, can I ask how to put ability/ clothing/ weapon symbols in? I just joined on Saturday and still am trying to get the basics. It would save me some typing lol.

Polimario

Inkling
NNID
Polimario
It seems like you see Ink resist less often in favor of other abilities recently. I'm not sure why, because like you said it can help a lot. Especially with Run Up for escapes or a bit of strafing.
I blame the mentality of "if something is nerfed, it sucks" for that. Ink Resist is still pretty great, even after being toned down.

ShinyTogetic

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Maikaru
Switch Friend Code
SW-3468-6485-0599
Mostly run speed up because of this weapons in my sig shines with it (though Idk about hydra....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom