Bamboozler 14 MK II: Analysis and Thoughts

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I've never been terribly good with any charger class weapons but I did give the MK II a try last night. It's not the best weapon at ink coverage I've found - or perhaps I just haven't found a way to use it most effectively in ink coverage. The weapon may take two hits to kill but it's good for sneak attacks when you're catching your opponent off guard. I suppose that as someone who likes close range weapons like rollers and sloshers, I'm used to attempting sneak attacks so I was able to efficiently use it to catch people off guard.

It's not that much of a bad weapon to be honest.

Darcain

Inkling
As someone who has played agaist people using this: It is disgustingly broken when all clothing slots are stacked with damage-up only, it just increases the damage to insta-splat levels, and combine that with the incredibly fast charge times and the result is a weapon setup that is not really fun to play against, or even with, it gets too hard or too easy respectively.

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
As someone who has played agaist people using this: It is disgustingly broken when all clothing slots are stacked with damage-up only, it just increases the damage to insta-splat levels, and combine that with the incredibly fast charge times and the result is a weapon setup that is not really fun to play against, or even with, it gets too hard or too easy respectively.
What weapon do you use?

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Well, sadly it can't "instasplat" so stacking that many damage ups is a complete waste of time. It is pretty damn good though.

adamjoseph

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Adamjosephc
If you play it like a Shooter, then you're crippled since you have to get dangerously close to Gunners who are far better at mid-range combat.
I don't really see this issue too much. Sure, you have to get closer than a charger does, but you don't have to get dangerously close. You still pretty much out range every mid range weapon, and if you're keeping a relatively safe distance and not overextending, you shouldn't end up face-to-face with anyone. If you play carefully, you can avoid most people sneaking up on you or surprising you and ending up in their ideal range. Echolocator obviously helps a lot with this, which I like.

Of course - you can't avoid every surprise, but it's nice that with this weapon you actually have a fighting chance since the charge time is barely anything, and you're still pretty mobile.

Oh, and I got a Quad Kill last match which is cool :p
Nice! I feel like I only ever get this accidentally...

"Oh no, quick, fire the killer wail here! Ugh, that was terrible placement, why did I rush that without thinking?"

splatted everyone

"oh."

adamjoseph

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Adamjosephc
I've never been terribly good with any charger class weapons but I did give the MK II a try last night. It's not the best weapon at ink coverage I've found - or perhaps I just haven't found a way to use it most effectively in ink coverage.
Yeah, I haven't had too much success using it in Turf War, but I've found that you can cover a lot of ground by aiming high and rapidly firing in all directions. It's not great for efficiently covering all the nooks and crannies, but in open areas you can cover a decent amount of ground.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Yeah, I haven't had too much success using it in Turf War, but I've found that you can cover a lot of ground by aiming high and rapidly firing in all directions. It's not great for efficiently covering all the nooks and crannies, but in open areas you can cover a decent amount of ground.
Yeah where Turf War is concerned, this is best for open maps. Especially since this kit has Disruptors.

Garo

Inkling
Had some time with this in Rainmaker yesterday. It's probably my favourite Charger since it's very adaptable and you can quickly switch between offense and defence depending on the situation, while still not putting yourself in an immediate danger against many weapons. I also like the sub and special combination.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Hmmm.... That might have been the issue I was having with it. I was shooting the Bamboozler like I would any charger - which is typically in a straight line forward. Now that you mention it... Aiming a bit more upward could be beneficial. The Bamboozler is different than the other charger class weapons so firing it a bit differently may be beneficial~

I've found that the flatter the ground, the better the Bamzooler is. It has a bit of trouble covering slopped turf because it leaves empty spots.

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
I'm a bit late to the party here, but I absolutely love this weapon. The Mk II's kit compliments the main weapon soooo much better than the Mk I's kit. If you can manage to Disrupt an opponent with nowhere to hide, even from a distance, they're practically dead already. Rollers are basically free kills (though Dynamos that see you coming might be a bit of trouble), and the only weapons it doesn't outrange are non-Squiffer chargers and the Hydra. I've been able to singlehandedly stop multiple opponents from claiming entire large portions of a map because of the Mk II's defensive capabilities. I've even started maining the thing. One of my favorite weapons for sure. Overall, as long as you keep a safe distance from other players and remember to use your kit, especially your Disruptors, to your advantage, this weapon has massive potential.

Last edited:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I'm a bit late to the party here, but I absolutely love this weapon. The Mk II's kit compliments the main weapon soooo much better than the Mk I's kit. If you can manage to Disrupt an opponent with nowhere to hide, even from a distance, they're practically dead already. Rollers are basically free kills (though Dynamos that see you coming might be a bit of trouble), and the only weapons it doesn't outrange are non-Squiffer chargers and the Hydra. I've been able to singlehandedly stop multiple opponents from claiming entire large portions of a map because of the Mk II's defensive capabilities. I've even started maining the thing. One of my favorite weapons for sure. Overall, as long as you keep a safe distance from other players and remember to use your kit, especially your Disruptors, to your advantage, this weapon has massive potential.
It's okay, I'll be late to the party too, because if all goes well I'll be first trying this weapon tonight.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
:ability_damage:Yes yes I know I'm super late for this weapon; I've been delayed for a fortnight.

So I tried out this weapon first thing when I got back to this game, and if any of you remember, I made a thread a few months back about how the original MK I made me question viability because no matter what, I could not grasp the weapon (I still need to try it again, but that's for another time). This weapon, on the other hand, I adored. The new kit of Disruptors and Echolocator is just wonderful with the main weapon. I could easily shut down opponents at long range with the sub and pick them off with ease by means of the special. It just felt natural to use it, and it is definitely a far better setup than the MK I, at least in my opinion. Splash Walls, while good, do not leave enough ink on the main weapon to have any leave of error, and Killer Wail seems clunky on such an offiensive-type sniper. This loadout was amazing and if anyone wants to main a Charger like this, this is the one I would recommend. Here are the abilities I think work best here (I used a Damage Cap (3 mains and 1 sub) with this weapon and it works wonders):

Stackable:

:ability_damage: (lots of this one!)
:ability_defenseup:
:ability_bombrange:
:ability_runspeed:
:ability_specialduration:

Main-Exclusive:

:ability_comeback:
:ability_openinggambit:
:ability_bombsniffer:
:ability_inkresistance:
:ability_haunt:

Albatross

Senior Squid
NNID
Zacrowski
Last night I was experimenting with only firing half-charged shots instead of full charged+uncharged. I was met with rather great success, and I must say only firing half charged shots certainly makes the weapon more fun. The pressure you can apply to someone increases tremendously. I was still using my usual 2 Damage Up mains and 5 Damage Up subs, not sure how it will fair without it.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
I've been playing around with the bamboozler (mk. I and II) and i've really fallen in love with them. I've tried/dedicated time to all chargers, but the bamboozler is definitely the ones that fit me most.

My aim with scoped chargers/eliters is horrid, i have like a 1/3rd chance of actually hitting what I'm aiming at. My aim has improved however because before I tried any of the chargers I wouldn't be able to hit anyone with one.

Idk, My aim seems to be best when I have the range of bamboozler/heavy splatling/ jet squelcher, but super bad if I have more than that and not as good if I have less. Like I'm ok with a .52 gal or tentatek but I'm not op/carry my team like a lot of them are. Not my playstyle either.

a lot of people say that the bamboozler mk.1 is hurt by having the splash wall (from what i've read on other threads and such) but having that protection helps a lot and you can mitigate the ink cost with gear.

I heavily prefer mk.II though. Disruptors + Echolocator not only helps me support the team heavily, but they support me as well. Both help with aim (and in echos case where to aim my disruptors too) and bamboozler doesn't cover turf very well so echo helps with not getting flanked all the time.

I'm still working on my aim, getting an optimal gear set, and getting the full charge+insta flick to kill down, but I'm having a ton of fun with this weapon. :3

Ber

Full Squid
NNID
Bernee
Just wanted to say that 1 main and 1 sub :ability_damage:s are enough to turn the completely uncharged shots into 3 hit splats on oponents without any def ups.
Not sure about oponents with some sub :ability_defenseup:s since I can't test that in the practice area and also not sure if 3 uncharged shots are faster than 2 mid charged shots but this might be worth something.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
This weapon is so much fun. Distuptor and Echolocator are two of my favorite sub weapons and specials, respectively and having them both on a fast 2HKO weapon is amazing. I struggled with it at first because I didn't realize two charged shots were unnecessary for kills (1 charged shot + 1 quick shot are enough), but once I learned this small aspect of the weapon, it clicked with me.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
LONGEST. POST. EVER. I feel like @Award here.

TL;DR - it's fun, hard to get the hang of, plays like a shooter/charger hybrid, and can't turf the ground or walls to save its life - definitely a killer and unimaginably dangerous in the right hands. Disruptor and Echolocator synergise with this weapon unbelievably well but the MK I might prove more useful for flat TC maps.

I decided to give this weapon a go recently, despite hearing a number of reviews saying it was arguably the hardest main weapon to learn in the game and has a steep learning curve. Admittedly it is very tough to get the swing of it, but it's not nearly the month-long grind I thought it'd be; it took me around 20 minutes of Rainmaker to figure it out. That said, the rapid blaster and Tentatek may have gotten me to mid S rank, but my charger play is unquestionably lower, at maybe B+/A-.

The Bamboozler has a very tricky playstyle associated with it. It would be best to describe this as a hybrid with the long range and rapid fire rate of a Jet Squelcher, paired with the charge mechanic and brutal precision of a Squiffer/Splat Charger. Again, this weapon is unusually tricky to get used to and doesn't have the saving grace of being a one hit kill, but what it does have is a lot of leniency with its shots, as you have plenty more to work with than an E-Litre would give you. You also don't have to hide your laser when you charge this thing, as it's basically instant.

This is going to come across as silly, but when I play this weapon I try to imagine I simply have a 4 metre long pole in front of me, and every trigger release is a "poke", with longer charge times being a stronger hit; the fact that its range is independent of its charge helps this visualization a bit.

Ideally you want to connect the first hit as a full charge, then start spamming the uncharged shot to try and make it connect, as it's usually much tougher because they know you're after them. Usually if I miss two or three hits, I'll disrupt the enemy and take them out or leave them to cower in a corner for a few seconds and think about what they've done. Pesky enemies, always doing things to annoy me like existing and stuff.

This weapon's hardest counter seems to be longer range chargers, while squiffers seem to pose less of a threat. Even so, don't underestimate the quick charge of a Squiffer, as they have the one hit kill that you don't. I have such an easy time poking at Dynamo rollers with this thing, it's beautiful. It's also splendid for taking out campy chargers if you can sneak up nearby and catch them while they're peering down their scope. In this case you wouldn't want to disrupt them, as this would alert them to your position too early on for you to connect two shots, and if they're high up they'll likely scooch back a bit and hide behind the edge's lip (Walleye comes to mind).

Flatter maps tend to be better for this weapon, such as Kelp Dome, Walleye, and especially Camp where you can completely lock down Mid. You can easilly reach enemy chargers on the perpendicular wall, but obviously not the part that heads downwards towards their respawn. I'd avoid using it on Flounder, as this weapon has trouble hitting over bumps and is terribad at making a path up walls. It IS nice for poking away at opposing chargers that've parked themselves on that lower box near their spawn area thought - you can hit them pretry easily from the overlook at Mid.

This weapon's biggest downfall, other than its heavy demand for accuracy, is its awful turfing capability. You won't be able to do much other than sidestep to make a patchy rectangle in front of you, so you'll want to have a teammate cover Mid for you while you take out any advancing opponent.

I suggest a bare minimum of enough Damage Up to make it a 3 hit uncharted shot kill, which is around 1 main 1 sub (I'll check that later). If you want to take advantage of this weapon's high hitting charged shot, you can bump this up to whatever a 99.9 damage shot would require. I know I've pegged a few unfortunate souls that've stepped in my ink with this one, and it's hilariously satisfying. Other than that, mobility is key and Ink resistance is invaluable. I'd also run Cold Blooded to aid stealth or Haunt to retaliate against agressive opponents that want to take advantage of your exposed position. Just let those disruptors fly!

I wouldn't suggest this weapon for Zones or for Turf Wars, but you can make do with it on Tower Control. Ideally you want to find a spot roughly the same height as the tower platform to stand on, then if an enemy starts pushing it forward you quickly cover the tower's platform with an uncharted shot to either side of the central spire. At this point, the enemy should be caught in your ink and comes out of squid form. Use this opportunity to land a full charge on their larger body and knock them out, which is super easy if it hits 99.9. I might argue that the wall and killer wail make the MK I version better suited for this mode though. The Bamboozler is also spectacular for Rainmaker; it pops the shield like nothing and can further impede enemy carriers with the disruptor. If you're going to learn to use this weapon, I honestly don't suggest playing in Turf Wars unless you like losing. -a lot. Just allow yourself to lose your vanity rank and play in the more competitive scene; you can earn it back later.

Last edited:

AbsentPlayer

Full Squid
NNID
absentplayer
I just picked it up a couple of days ago and it's now one of my favorite weapons in the game

Well, sadly it can't "instasplat" so stacking that many damage ups is a complete waste of time. It is pretty damn good though.
But stacking tons of damage up is still really useful because if an opponent is hit even once by one of your teammates SPLAT! or if they step in your ink for even a second (if that) SPLAT!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom