• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

My personal 'rule of thumb' tier list

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
I'm loling at regular Dynamo so high and Gold Dynamo in bad. Golds kit is amazing in both Splat Zones and Turf War. Splat Bomb is a fantastic sub and the rate at which you charge your special means constant Ink Strikes, which either allows you to force the enemy out of cover or keep them away from the point. I've lost track how many times I've solo capped Port Mackeral in the first minute because I used an Ink Strike to cover my entry on the lane closest to the zone.

I see absolutely no situations where regular Dynamo outclasses Gold. And yes I am an A+99 Gold Dynamo user.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
I think he just doesn't like Burst Bombs so his personal tier list places burst bomb stuff low.

Burst Bombs aren't easy to use so it takes a little bit "more" to make them useful. That, and they aren't popular.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
Hue ; I alway found kelp charger variant to be superior then the normal variant.

the rest seem accurate for me

EpicB13

Inkster Jr.
NNID
EpicB13
I actually want to try the Inkbrush in ranked to see if it is as bad as you claim it is. Hopefully not.

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
I actually want to try the Inkbrush in ranked to see if it is as bad as you claim it is. Hopefully not.
I managed to get to A- rank with it so it cant be 'unusable' as some claim it to be. just a matter of knowing how to use it.

Ultimatum

Full Squid
NNID
Ultimatumm
It's a melee range gun with awful TTK (Time To Kill). Your only option for kill people is to get behind them, but other weapons getting behind enemy lines could probably do more anyway. The only major advantage Inkbrush brings is speed which isn't actually that dramatic in Splatoon, especially since there's a lot of maps that don't really allow you to get behind the enemy (Arrowana, Port Mackeral, Kelp Dome.)

You COULD succeed with any weapon theoretically, but Inkbrush is basically a goofy handicap and anything you could achieve with it could be matched even higher by other weapons.

Ultimatum

Full Squid
NNID
Ultimatumm
I think he just doesn't like Burst Bombs so his personal tier list places burst bomb stuff low.

Burst Bombs aren't easy to use so it takes a little bit "more" to make them useful. That, and they aren't popular.
Suckerbombs and splat bombs (w/e they're called), make this little area that enemies have to move from/can't walk on. Burst bombs just throw some ink out for some mediocre damage and ok ink coverage. I've never really been killed by, or had my movement affected by, burst bombs in any manner a suckerbomb/just shooting me wouldn't have done.

Exception goes to chargers who can actually have some solid AoE damage by mashing RB which can be situationally very useful.

0404Link

Inkling
NNID
Pmush
Personally, I would swap the splattershot pro with the forge splattershot pro.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Suckerbombs and splat bombs (w/e they're called), make this little area that enemies have to move from/can't walk on. Burst bombs just throw some ink out for some mediocre damage and ok ink coverage. I've never really been killed by, or had my movement affected by, burst bombs in any manner a suckerbomb/just shooting me wouldn't have done.

Exception goes to chargers who can actually have some solid AoE damage by mashing RB which can be situationally very useful.
It sounds like you haven't seen anyone use them optimally yet.

Three Burst Bombs uses the same amount of ink as one normal grenade. If you throw three Burst Bombs it denies the same amount of space for the same amount of time. This is bad because you have to keep looking in that direction and not shoot. This is good because it gives you more options. For example, if I know someone is going to backpedal when they see my first bomb hit them, I can throw the other two behind the first one by jumping when I throw, and if one of the others catches him I get the kill. I kill Chargers and Squelchers like that all the time. You can't do that with the other grenades.

Damage Ups change the burst bombs completely, because it takes them from doing mediocre damage to leaving whoever you directly hit weak enough to die from one shot from almost anything. The splash damage is strong too. This is good for 1v1 fights because you can retreat and throw a bomb after you see one hitmarker and get an easy kill. When both teams are firing at each other and a few burst bombs get tossed into the mix, people start dying. This is a threat because you can throw them so often.

It only takes 2 subs of damage up to accomplish this, or more if you're worried about enemy defense ups. That's one of the primary problems with the Splattershot, you NEED Damage Ups to be viable, so there's an opportunity cost of other abilities the more you invest.

I don't think the Splattershot is top tier, but it's high tier. It doesn't have a good enough Special to be top tier. It's definitely not mediocre or bad though, even if people aren't using it properly yet.

Last edited:

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Aerosprays and Gold Dynamo Roller as bad? wat

Aerosprays are basically a better version of the Jr. and Gold Dynamo Roller can kill with just a fling. List definitely needs to be rearranged.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Aerosprays and Gold Dynamo Roller as bad? wat

Aerosprays are basically a better version of the Jr. and Gold Dynamo Roller can kill with just a fling. List definitely needs to be rearranged.
I don't think the Aerospray is a threat in Splat Zones, it's only good at spraying ink and sucks in combat, although the Inkzooka is something to think about. The Gold Dynamo Roller is always a threat simply because it's a Dynamo Roller lol.

You gotta remember though that this is per personal tier list based on his personal experience in A+.

AGES

Full Squid
NNID
Snicks
Aerosprays and the SSJR lose to almost every gun in the game by themselves with awful range and poor damage on shots, but the JR has bubble which gives it a niche in the meta as it is one of the 3 weapons right now that has it, and the only rapid fire weapon that has it.

I still don't like the JR though personally as it can only do one thing decently well but eh

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
?? They don't even serve the same role. Bubble is inherently a very strong ability.
Inkstrike is a pretty strong ability too. Use Inkstrike as you're about to take zone then finish it off by shooting ink to retake it completely. You're good as invulnerable while the Inkstrike is in effect.

I don't think the Aerospray is a threat in Splat Zones, but the Gold Dynamo Roller is always a threat simply because it's a Dynamo Roller lol.

You gotta remember though that this is per personal tier list based on his personal experience in A+.
I'm also A+ and I used to use the Aerospray RG in Splatzones. People just dont like it because of its poor range. But they forget it has Inkstrike so it can take out chargers or retake zones so I don't think putting it as bad is rational.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Inkstrike is a pretty strong ability too. Use Inkstrike as you're about to take zone then finish it off by shooting ink to retake it completely. You're good as invulnerable while the Inkstrike is in effect.

I'm also A+ and I used to use the Aerospray RG in Splatzones. People just dont like it because of its poor range. But they forget it has Inkstrike so it can take out chargers or retake zones so I don't think putting it as bad is rational.
My thing is that other, more threatening weapons also get Inkstrike. I will say though that none of the most obviously threatening weapon get Inkzooka, and there's an Aerospray that gets Inkzooka, so that's definitely worth thinking about.

What else is there that gets Inkzooka and doesn't suck? Tentatek Splattershot and Luna Blaster? Tentatek is nice, Luna Blaster is situational so far IMO.

@AGES I haven't given time to learning how to exploit the Splattershot Jr yet but at some point I want to. My next goal is the Custom Blaster, so it's hard to want Jr lol.

Last edited:

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
?? They don't even serve the same role. Bubble is inherently a very strong ability.
Bubbler is almost useless on the JR because of its short range. My splattershot pro never gets killed by a bubbling JR.

Ultimatum

Full Squid
NNID
Ultimatumm
Bubbler is almost useless on the JR because of its short range. My splattershot pro never gets killed by a bubbling JR.
It does let you dive around corners/swim in real close without a care in the world.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
My thing is that other, more threatening weapons also get Inkstrike. I will say though that none of the most obviously threatening weapon get Inkzooka, and there's an Aerospray that gets Inkzooka, so that's definitely worth thinking about.

What else is there that gets Inkstrike and doesn't suck? Tentatek Splattershot and Luna Blaster? Tentatek is nice, Luna Blaster is situational so far IMO.
More often than not you're going to be at close range with other players in this game, and Aerosprays do just as well as longer range weapons in that regard. Simply putting it as bottom tier just because of the range isn't reasonable.

Luna Blaster has Inkzooka, not Inkstrike, but it's still a decent weapon imo. I wouldn't say any weapon with Inkstrike sucks except maybe the Inkbrush.

EDIT: @Ultimatum I really think the Mediocre/Pretty bad tiers ought to be separate.

Last edited:

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
More often than not you're going to be at close range with other players in this game, and Aerosprays do just as well as longer range weapons in that regard. Simply putting it as bottom tier just because of the range isn't reasonable.

Luna Blaster has Inkzooka, not Inkstrike, but it's still a decent weapon imo. I wouldn't say any weapon with Inkstrike sucks except maybe the Inkbrush.

EDIT: @Ultimatum I really think the Mediocre/Pretty bad tiers ought to be separate.
I meant to say Inkzooka, not Inkstrike.

The thing is, even if an Aerospray gets up close it doesn't kill very fast compared to the Gals and some other weapons that do well at range, and it's probably going to miss a full bullets on top of it. If I get killed by an Aerospray it's because I got snuck up on (which any weapon can do) or I made a bad decision. If the Aerospray and I are playing equally well, he should never be able to kill me. Well of course, there are laggy Aerosprays that can trade with me, but again, that's every weapon.

The Aerospray does have great ink coverage and can get specials often, but I don't think that makes it a threat.

That doesn't mean someone can't be good with it, it just means it's not very threatening and IMO needs to be picky about what its teammates are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom