Neo Sploosh-o-Matic: Analysis and Thoughts

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Cold-blooded is also a very useful Main-Exclusive ability. i'd say it's better than all the ones you mentioned above.
I guess it depends on how this weapon is played. For the normal Sploosh-o-Matic, Cold-Blooded is seriously useful, because that is a very sneaky type with its Squid Beakons and Killer Wail. But its Neo variant, given its loadout, is much more offensive and pushing-based, so Cold-Blooded probably is not quite as useful as it is on the normal SoOM.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
Oh, cool they cam up with a new version of the Sploosh :3

They even added a kraken! I'll be sure to try this out as soon as I take back my rental copy of Yoshi. I never tried a Kraken before, but that will soon change...

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Oh, cool they cam up with a new version of the Sploosh :3

They even added a kraken! I'll be sure to try this out as soon as I take back my rental copy of Yoshi. I never tried a Kraken before, but that will soon change...
It works really well on this weapon. I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Reactions: blu

Toaster

Senior Squid
Do you guys think that comeback is a good ability to use with this weapon?

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
Just tried the neo Sploosh, and I like what it offers. Very deadly skill set. Since it puts heavy emphasis on close quarters, its sub weapon gives you a heavy advantage on your opponents since you can drop it anywhere, and cover a wide range of who's in the area. It almost feels a little too good, to be honest. It also seems to work on unpainted turf as well. I wish I knew its exact duration, but its safe to say it will track anyone within moments after you planted it; turning an area into an instant trap within minutes.

As for the Kraken, its quite good when combined with the Sploosh. You now have more options as to how to take care of opponents. Chase down opponents, or activate it to ensure a safe kill in case their is another team member waiting to avenge their squad. I also like how I can become the kraken, take care of business, and make a clean exit since you turn right back into a smaller squid; allowing that opportunity to remain in the shadows so as long as you made a path back to your ink in time.

There is a lot to like here. Lots of options that somewhat changes the way you use this weapon while giving you good advantages in both distant and close range combat. I think a Special duration up buff would do some good in carrying the kraken further, but I don't think its too severely needed so a long as you plan your escape when the meter runs out.

Ametrine

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ferrethugger98
As an avid user of the Sploosh, I've got to admit that I was a bit sceptic to the loadout at first. But after using it in the field, I can say that the Neo is to the Vanilla what the 89 is to the 85: the nilla version's loadout was made with supportive play in mind, while the Neo was made for a defensive/offensive playstyle. One of the nilla's weaknesses is that it's hard to get out of sticky situations, but I think the Neo fixes this to some extent. The point sensor, while not being something that directly harms the opponent, can draw your teammates' attention to you and force the enemy to retreat, and the Kraken, while a tad bit overused, is a great tool for saving yourself when cornered.
I'd recommend speed boosting gear, as well as gear such as Special Saver, Special Charge Up and Special Duration Up.
If you like being able to smoothly switch between an offensive and a defensive playstyle, this should be a great weapon choice for you.

Last edited:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I tried it last night with mixed results; probably from inexperience.

I think this kit is easier to play and definitely more offensively minded. But I guess I haven't played the vanilla sploosh in awhile and I'm used to weapons with more range because I hard a hard time splatting people quite often. When it worked it was very satisfying: tagging people with the point sensor then sneaking up and splatting them. It also could have been lag because it was terrible last night, but I definitely had trouble making it work.

I feel like with practice this gone could be really effective. It might need some more dedicated ink saver slots though because point sensor eats more ink than I was expecting.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I tried it last night with mixed results; probably from inexperience.

I think this kit is easier to play and definitely more offensively minded. But I guess I haven't played the vanilla sploosh in awhile and I'm used to weapons with more range because I hard a hard time splatting people quite often. When it worked it was very satisfying: tagging people with the point sensor then sneaking up and splatting them. It also could have been lag because it was terrible last night, but I definitely had trouble making it work.

I feel like with practice this gone could be really effective. It might need some more dedicated ink saver slots though because point sensor eats more ink than I was expecting.
When you have a hard time splattling people because of the range, Defense Up and Run Speed Up are the things to stack. Ninja Squid wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Last edited:

deepseadiva

Full Squid
Comeback reduces Sub Ink Tank Consumption? I should research that ability more...
Not just because it makes the Beakons cheaper to drop, but because Beakons let you take better advantage of Comeback. Comeback only lasts 20 seconds - Beakons let you abuse that ability best by getting you right into the fray.

There were some popular gear sets that used Comeback + Quick Respawn with the vanilla. I'm not a personal fan of kamikaze sets like that, but they're fun.

The Neo could probably do the same, but I'd rather focus on Kraken and Point Sensors rather than constantly dying...

RascalTC

Inkling
Alright, I've put in ~10,000p's worth of Turf War, here's my initial impressions. Got 6-8 kills surprisingly often, managed to get 9 at one point.

• I retain my stance that Point Sensors are so anti-stealth it hurts. They feel much more helpful in securing my teammates's kills than my own. Bomb Range Up doesn't seem like a bad choice, but it doesn't seem like something I could recommend, either.
  • High mobility build is as good as ever, probably better in fact, since Swim Speed Up affects the Kraken as well. I was outswimming opponents with my Kraken who did not have Swim Speed Up themselves. It was fun in an evil sort of way.
  • The Kraken makes me feel safer. Big open maps like the new Museum are a grating experience with the normal Sploosh, now I don't feel like I'm dead the moment I step foot onto an open battlefield. Similarly, while there's nothing wrong with using Cold-Blooded on the Neo, the Kraken makes it feel less important. With the normal Sploosh you'd basically be benched for ~10 seconds anytime you got tracked without Cold-Blooded; there was nothing of worth you could really do.
  • A lot of the time I could make do without the Wail, but there was one particular match where I really found myself missing it.

There was a Charger positioned firmly on that grate there and my team just could not seem to do anything about them. I really wanted to help, but we couldn't push far enough for me to go aaaaaaaaaaaall the way around just to get them. This is what I was talking about in the other thread. I'm a solo queue player and in solo queue, the more things you can do by yourself, the better. Holding off that Charger for even just a few seconds is not something I can do with the Neo Sploosh.
  • Regarding the third bullet point, I think the Kraken gives the Neo better comeback potential. If your team loses the initial confrontation on certain maps, the normal Sploosh can't do ****. Farming up a Kraken with the Neo at least allows me to go in and get a kill or something. It's more helpful than the Wail in situations like this (assuming that my team is the blue):
Overall I like the Neo, but I really don't like the Point Sensor. I guess it can be nice for checking enemy ink and/or corners, instead of having to rely purely on your own wit like you would with the normal Sploosh, but meh. I'll probably pick it up alongside my regular Sploosh and hop back and forth between the two to suit the current map+mode.

(Also this is totally becoming the new Krak-On Roller already. At least in the sense that people are using it just because it lets them build up EZ Krakens, instead of trying to actually make full use of the weapon.)

Last edited:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Alright, I've put in ~10,000p's worth of Turf War, here's my initial impressions. Got 6-8 kills surprisingly often, managed to get 9 at one point.

• I retain my stance that Point Sensors are so anti-stealth it hurts. They feel much more helpful in securing my teammates's kills than my own. Bomb Range Up doesn't seem like a bad choice, but it doesn't seem like something I could recommend, either.
  • High mobility build is as good as ever, probably better in fact, since Swim Speed Up affects the Kraken as well. I was outswimming opponents with my Kraken who did not have Swim Speed Up themselves. It was fun in an evil sort of way.
  • The Kraken makes me feel safer. Big open maps like the new Museum are a grating experience with the normal Sploosh, now I don't feel like I'm dead the moment I step foot onto an open battlefield. Similarly, while there's nothing wrong with using Cold-Blooded on the Neo, the Kraken makes it feel less important. With the normal Sploosh you'd basically be benched for ~10 seconds anytime you got tracked without Cold-Blooded; there was nothing of worth you could really do.
  • A lot of the time I could make do without the Wail, but there was one particular match where I really found myself missing it.

There was a Charger positioned firmly on that grate there and my team just could not seem to do anything about them. I really wanted to help, but we couldn't push far enough for me to go aaaaaaaaaaaall the way around just to get them. This is what I was talking about in the other thread. I'm a solo queue player and in solo queue, the more things you can do by yourself, the better. Holding off that Charger for even just a few seconds is not something I can do with the Neo Sploosh.
  • Regarding the third bullet point, I think the Kraken gives the Neo better comeback potential. If your team loses the initial confrontation on certain maps, the normal Sploosh can't do ****. Farming up a Kraken with the Neo at least allows me to go in and get a kill or something. It's more helpful than the Wail in situations like this (assuming that my team is the blue):
Overall I like the Neo, but I really don't like the Point Sensor. I guess it can be nice for checking enemy ink and/or corners, instead of having to rely purely on your own wit like you would with the normal Sploosh, but meh. I'll probably pick it up alongside my regular Sploosh and hop back and forth between the two to suit the current map+mode.

(Also this is totally becoming the new Krak-On Roller already. At least in the sense that people are using it just because it lets them build up EZ Krakens, instead of trying to actually make full use of the weapon.)
Point Sensors should be used to prevent sneaky rushdowns. Often, such adversaries will use Ninja Squid to pop out of enemy ink unexpectedly as you rush in at the front of the fray, taking you out. Therefore, throw a Point Sensor or two into enemy ink before pushing, so that doesn't occur. If you catch one trying to rush you down, see if you can find a route to go around and flank him/her. Point Sensors are also great for support, as you said. Voice chat situations would be optimal for such things.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
Comeback reduces Sub Ink Tank Consumption? I should research that ability more...
Well if you haven't already looked it up, comeback boosts Ink Saver (Main and Sub), Ink Recovery, Run Speed, and Swim Speed for 20 seconds after respawning. It's personally my favorite ability just for the run and swim speed boosts. If you've already got some swim/run or both speeds on your gear, then after respawning not only does it make you feel really fast, but you can get back into the fray quicker (when jumping isn't an option). And it lasts for 20 seconds, which I've found in a lot of situations is longer than i need it to.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Well if you haven't already looked it up, comeback boosts Ink Saver (Main and Sub), Ink Recovery, Run Speed, and Swim Speed for 20 seconds after respawning. It's personally my favorite ability just for the run and swim speed boosts. If you've already got some swim/run or both speeds on your gear, then after respawning not only does it make you feel really fast, but you can get back into the fray quicker (when jumping isn't an option). And it lasts for 20 seconds, which I've found in a lot of situations is longer than i need it to.
Best on the smaller maps for sure. I should consider running some on WW TC.

Nurematsu

Inkling
NNID
Nurematsu
I've only been playing with it for a couple of days, and I have to say despite my initial reluctance for adopting a new sub and special on my favorite shooter... I LOVE Neo Sploosh-o-Matic. It's a very aggressive style as opposed to the more support-style of the stock Sploosh. The point sensors (now that their area of effect has been buffed) are amazingly useful for chasing down a straggler, or spooking a sniper, or marking your victim before turning on the Kraken.

I played around with my gear a bit on this one, and I really loved feeling like a superhero with 3 Quick Jump mains. I could join a teammate in a flash to assist in a potential fight. My current loadout that I'm really enjoying is 1 Swim Speed up, Haunt, and 1 Quick Jump (which I may replace with quick respawn, run speed, bomb range up, or ink saver sub). Haunt is amazing because even if I fail to nail someone with a point sensor before I get splatted, I at least know the person who killed me will be seen by everyone.

Last edited:

Toaster

Senior Squid
So I've been using the neo sploosh for a few weeks now and I just love the play style of this weapon. This is the weapon that brought me into S rank but I have one question is this a good set to run on the neo sploosh?
I want to put comeback on this but I really like having special duration up as well. I don't want to get rid of my swim speed up since it really helps out the kraken a lot.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
So I've been using the neo sploosh for a few weeks now and I just love the play style of this weapon. This is the weapon that brought me into S rank but I have one question is this a good set to run on the neo sploosh?
I want to put comeback on this but I really like having special duration up as well. I don't want to get rid of my swim speed up since it really helps out the kraken a lot.
Hmmm. That looks good, except I'd recommend, if you have a lot of snails and/or coins, to reroll that Hero Jacket for 2X Swim Speed Ups or 2X Special Charge Ups. Just me though.

Toaster

Senior Squid
Hmmm. That looks good, except I'd recommend, if you have a lot of snails and/or coins, to reroll that Hero Jacket for 2X Swim Speed Ups or 2X Special Charge Ups. Just me though.
Thanks, I'll have to try to get a good roll on the jacket once I get some snails from the next splatfest. I've been trying to get something decent on it for a while now but rng just doesn't like me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom