Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Well before Splatoon, Pikmin was their newest IP. So that is to be expected.
What about the Wii series, consisting of the sub-series Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Wii Play? Brain Age, nintendogs, Style Savvy, and DS Navi also came after Pikmin. There's also some REALLY low-key stuff like The Denpa Men, and Level-5's DS and 3DS efforts (Professor Layton, Inazuma Eleven, Fantasy Life, and Yo-kai Watch) are so tied to Nintendo they're pretty close cousins of Nintendo's own IPs. StreetPass Mii Plaza has become big enough to be given multiple nods in Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS.

I would put Meteos in there too, but it kind of jumped ship to the Xbox line. As much as Masahiro Sakurai denies it though, the Cross Bomb item in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS functions exactly as it does in the Meteos series.

Last edited:
NNID
namine753
Im currently stuck at SARC repacking, because Splatoon apparently uses a different implementation than any other Nintendo game, so I'll probably have to rewrite my SARC packer to support that.

Well, I think I'm faster than Nintendo, so expect to see some results soon :p
thanks so much, take your time.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I am a pretty big Mario fan but I'm actually glad Nintendo decided to leave Splatoon as its own entity pretty much. It gives it a unique atmosphere and vibe that I haven't felt from a Nintendo game ever since ... well Pikmin!
I wouldn't even be here if it was another Mario game. It would've got thrown in the Mario Spin-Off bin along with the rest of them and the creativity would've suffered. And the Inklings and the Octolings wouldn't have even existed! I'm extremely glad we got what we got.

The servers are really bad this weekend. I'm getting lag when I normally don't. Are they doing background work on the servers or something? Also, another five/six hour maintenance tomorrow. Expect to get kicked off from 1PM to 7PM PST. It may be like last time where nothing happened, but it may not. It's also the last week of OCTOber, so this is the week that Nintendo would announce the Octolings, if I'm right from all of that teasing this month.

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
Im currently stuck at SARC repacking, because Splatoon apparently uses a different implementation than any other Nintendo game, so I'll probably have to rewrite my SARC packer to support that.

Well, I think I'm faster than Nintendo, so expect to see some results soon :p
I'm expecting results worthy of a Garry's Mod animation. Or Pikaman.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
The servers are really bad this weekend. I'm getting lag when I normally don't. Are they doing background work on the servers or something? Also, another five/six hour maintenance tomorrow. Expect to get kicked off from 1PM to 7PM PST. It may be like last time where nothing happened, but it may not. It's also the last week of OCTOber, so this is the week that Nintendo would announce the Octolings, if I'm right from all of that teasing this month.
Maybe it's crunch time to get the Octolings out? Or maybe they're working on a 2.0.0 update to Super Mario Maker. Who knows?

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
Ah- so they're working on something within the background?
I guess that would explain ALL THE LAG AND ERRORS I got on Sunday around... 8pm-9pm CT.
But oooh- I hate bein' teased with all this content and octolings floating around!
I just really hope one of the Octo-related stuff they can release this month is THE NEW OCTOBRUSH. THAT'S OCTO-RELATED. LET US END OFF THE MONTH WITH THAT NINTENDO!

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Ah- so they're working on something within the background?
I guess that would explain ALL THE LAG AND ERRORS I got on Sunday around... 8pm-9pm CT.
But oooh- I hate bein' teased with all this content and octolings floating around!
I just really hope one of the Octo-related stuff they can release this month is THE NEW OCTOBRUSH. THAT'S OCTO-RELATED. LET US END OFF THE MONTH WITH THAT NINTENDO!
Yeah, my sister was playing yesterday evening, and 3 to 5 people would get disconnected per match. It was getting out of hand. Something is going on.

It'd be hilarious if they explained it as interference from the Octolings or from DJ Octavio though. It'd fit within Octavio's skills.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
i'd like to think so, but at this point ninty's just delaying now.

there isn't much left to do if they wanted to include playable octos. slap a kraken in, set models to on. they've had plenty of time to mod the clothing. they're milking the clock now. using it as a last gambit once the maps have released. hopefully we won't have to wait that long, but still.

since the data's just sitting there, and only animations were touched, they most likely modified their update packets to spoil dataminers. the bare 2.2 update kind of backs this up. now they'll only include the minimum required in each update, until they're ready to release.

the new weapon was a surprise alone. who'd have thought a new type would appear. it could also explain why it's taking so long: more, or better content than we can imagine at this point, all being worked on at once.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
It's been long enough since launch and I would assume most of the work has been done and they're just sitting on them until they decide to release them whenever that is. With all of that teasing and nothing to show for it shows that people, myself included look too far into things and we should just wait and see what happens. I will admit, my hype is killed because Nintendo's been extremely transparent and I highly doubt we're getting them this week. But I did that to myself. So you can say I killed my own hype.

Now, I'm focusing on getting the real game started by reaching level 20. It'll take my mind off this whole thing.

Last edited:

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Tbh, I kinda got my hopes up a bit as well since I thought we were getting playable Octolings this month. Meh, I don't care if they were playable or not. I prefer playing as the Inklings anyway.

Now, I'm focusing on getting the real game started by reaching level 20. It'll take my mind off this whole thing.
I'm almost to level 20 myself. :P

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Tbh, I kinda got my hopes up a bit as well since I thought we were getting playable Octolings this month. Meh, I don't care if they were playable or not. I prefer playing as the Inklings anyway.
Me too, I was looking forward to them greatly as it would make the games more interesting online, but I don't think we're getting them this week. I could be proven wrong but I doubt it.

I'm almost to level 20 myself. :p
Nice! :) I was going to do that today but the servers said no. I couldn't even join a game. Thanks for the maintenance, Nintendo.

Sunstone

Let's ink it up... together!
NNID
Paleamethyst
Yep, I'm with you guys on thinking the Octoling stuff is gonna be used as a push for the Holidays.

At this point, I have zero doubt in them coming, at least.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
They most likely are saving the Octolings for the holidays. I have a hunch they might along with announcing the next DLC characters for Smash. Just gonna refrain from being optimistic, though.

Nice! :) I was going to do that today but the servers said no. I couldn't even join a game. Thanks for the maintenance, Nintendo.
Glad I wasn't thinking on playing it today. After having my power off for four hours earlier and having it back on 2 and a half hours before the online maintenance started, I'm not in the mood to play it anyway. Been playing games on Steam instead. :P

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
I wouldn't really mind if Octolings were not released this week. Would be nice if they do get released, but at the very least we do know they're working on them, and that's good enough for me.
that's what it's about. octoling hype. doesn't matter when. only that there's hype. they're being worked on, and will be released.

if you lose hype, i will carry it for you. octolings are coming. and we will welcome them with loving tentacles. make it a holiday in splatoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom