• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
That quote isn't exactly news. :p
Yeah I know that's why I said,"... as you may have known ..."

Still I wonder how in the world are they going to figure out how to make the octolings wear those headgear without looking awkward?

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Still I wonder how in the world are they going to figure out how to make the octolings wear those headgear without looking awkward?
Probably an alternate tentacle shape that will fit smoothly underneath the hats, as well as adjusting the angles of the not-hats (such as headbands and the hairclip.)

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
This is taken from Inkipedia so it may be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually correct.

According to their original Japanese name, takozonesu (From octopus and amazons), it seems that they all are female. To support this, the Octolings that the player encounters appear to be female.

The amazons as you may have known are all female warriors in mythology.

Of course we did see DJ Octavio who is male so it's not entirely out of the question that male octolings cannot be a thing.
The Latin American localization calls them "Octoamazonas" as well (I know this info second hand. I can't stand Spanish localizations, and "calamar" doesn't have as many pun opportunities as "squid")

As I've said before, it could be a Gerudo kinda deal, with only so many male Octolings being around at any given time. Or it could be like the Turians in Mass Effect in that they're supposed to have males and females in equal numbers, but for some reason they mainly show only one of them.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Sigh. . . Fine, I'll bite. . .
I'm not a troll, so you don't have to "bite my bait". You'll have to excuse me, as I was tired so I was out of line. In any case, I won't be continuing this and let's see what happens. I guess what I was trying to do is warn you as to why they may not happen but I came off as confrontational, so I'm sorry about that. I know what I'm saying doesn't make up for how I acted, but I do want the same thing as you.

Yeah, there are male Octolings proven by the Sunken Scroll. They don't appear in game at all but that won't stop Ninty if they wanted them to get in. Now, I'll see myself out of the best thread, because there's nothing more to talk about at the current moment. :p

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I'm not a troll, so you don't have to "bite my bait". You'll have to excuse me, as I was tired so I was out of line. In any case, I won't be continuing this and let's see what happens. I guess what I was trying to do is warn you as to why they may not happen but I came off as confrontational, so I'm sorry about that. I know what I'm saying doesn't make up for how I acted, but I do want the same thing as you.

Yeah, there are male Octolings proven by the Sunken Scroll. They don't appear in game at all but that won't stop Ninty if they wanted them to get in. Now, I'll see myself out of the best thread, because there's nothing more to talk about at the current moment. :p
It's all gravy. No need to apologize I get into these things all the time. Happens more often than I'd like to admit. :p
On that note there really isn't much else to talk about though. Now it's just a waiting game. Who knows how long we may be waiting.

Sunstone

Let's ink it up... together!
NNID
Paleamethyst
Miqo'te rules, wherein there is a 1 to 10 male to female ratio and thus the males are usually kept within the confines of the tribe for breeding value. The females do the grunt work and fighting since they are more numerous.

I'm in the camp that we're less likely to see males as they really never pushed them forward. Not impossible, just not as likely.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Inkling Girl is the mascot of the series, so is natural most players gravitate towards her. That doesn't mean Octoling Boy wouldn't have his fanbase should he be added, after all, a lot of people play Inkling Boy (even I switch from girl to Inkling Boy at times, just to shake thing up a bit). That being said, I am not confident we are getting Octoling Boy... I hope we don't, though!
There are indeed a good amount of people playing as Inkling Boys. It's just that more people play as Inkling Girls due to being more popular and like you said, mascots. I admit that I play as her myself not just for the fact that I'm female, but it's also because I find her too adorable. :P

Demonic Labrys

Pro Squid
NNID
Omega_Snakey
There are indeed a good amount of people playing as Inkling Boys. It's just that more people play as Inkling Girls due to being more popular and like you said, mascots. I admit that I play as her myself not just for the fact that I'm female, but it's also because I find her too adorable. :p
Yeah she is cute but the male victory pose for the slosher is weird XD

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
I don't think it is weird. He's just got the moves :)
The female has the same animation, with the difference being the male has a disgusting smirk on his face.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I think by now it's pretty clear by this point that Nintendo's return on investment in the Octolings (if they do release them as paid DLC) is going to be absolutely MASSIVE. :p
Of course. I have no doubt it'll be a guaranteed profit turned, as the effort to make what is essentially just another character model or two is relatively low compared to, say, new characters in Super Smash Bros. 4 or a new course in Mario Kart 8. Still, my point was that it's NOT free money. Somebody has to get a paycheck.

Nintendo is a business, first and foremost. They have always thought about the long term and do not like to spend large amounts of money on things that are not hardware. This hasn't changed very much for years. They are not broke, but they are not going to spend extra money on something that would be played by a fraction of the players.
The stages in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U seems to have been largely ignored, but they still make them. In order to play on them in With Anyone, every player has to have the stage, and places like Suzaku Castle and Super Mario Maker come up so infrequently that I don't think even one-fifth of the player base has them, compared to the DLC characters, who seem to be everywhere.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
The stages in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U seems to have been largely ignored, but they still make them. In order to play on them in With Anyone, every player has to have the stage, and places like Suzaku Castle and Super Mario Maker come up so infrequently that I don't think even one-fifth of the player base has them, compared to the DLC characters, who seem to be everywhere.
The difference is that Smash Bros is already a well-established franchise.
They can take more freedoms there, with little risk involved.

Splatoon is an entirely new IP however.
And most importantly, Nintendo's first step into a genre they are NOT familiar with.

They obviously took baby steps so far.
Carefully making one step after another, without trying to blow anything, in their first online shooter game.
So of course they are much more careful with Splatoon, as they are with Smash Bros.
It isn't a long-running series and not as well-established as Smash Bros yet.
With that in mind, it is no stretch to think they are more careful here, since they do not yet know just how far they can stretch it, without it blowing up on them.

Same reason why we get "Federation Force" as a new Metroid-game, because of the failure that was "Other M".

So Noire's points are actually all valid in my eyes.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
I am a pretty big Mario fan but I'm actually glad Nintendo decided to leave Splatoon as its own entity pretty much. It gives it a unique atmosphere and vibe that I haven't felt from a Nintendo game ever since ... well Pikmin!

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
I am a pretty big Mario fan but I'm actually glad Nintendo decided to leave Splatoon as its own entity pretty much. It gives it a unique atmosphere and vibe that I haven't felt from a Nintendo game ever since ... well Pikmin!
Well before Splatoon, Pikmin was their newest IP. So that is to be expected.

But why are we talking about Mario and Pikmin now? o_O

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Sometimes, I feel like the only male Inkling in a world of female Inklings

I'm pretty sure this is the plot to some kind of book
Sounds like a good idea for a story. The only male Inkling is trying to find his place in the world of female Inklings and he's already not accepted by them. It'll be a pretty tragic tale for him.

I'm very thankful Splatoon didn't end up being another Mario game. I'm really tired of seeing other Nintendo IP's get turned into a Mario game like what happened with Metroid on the 3DS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom