Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

NNID
namine753
Yeah I noticed as well. The more quiet Nintendo gets the more I'm worried how much the company has changed when it comes to communicating with their fans.

Of course they could announce the new weapon any time now but we'll have to wait and see.
the whole bad communicating with fans thing always depressed me but it is true.

Also happy 500 post in best thread :3

fakecake

Inkster Jr.
So basically, we know the files are new animations, but have no method of viewing them?
Well, I could try to search the new animations and swap them with the inkling ones, but it likely wouldn't work since the bone structures are different.

Reactions: Rob

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I imagine part of Nintendo being quiet has to do with Iwata's passing. He was the focus of the Nintendo Direct format, and they have to rebuild the whole thing now that he's gone. They have said that the Directs will continue, but imagine how hard they must be thinking about how to go forward without the centrepiece they had for so long. It's like trying to do an Iron Man movie without ol' Bob Downey Jr.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
inklings popping and locking like zombies, because the elbow doesn't fit...
I imagine part of Nintendo being quiet has to do with Iwata's passing. He was the focus of the Nintendo Direct format, and they have to rebuild the whole thing now that he's gone. They have said that the Directs will continue, but imagine how hard they must be thinking about how to go forward without the centrepiece they had for so long. It's like trying to do an Iron Man movie without ol' Bob Downey Jr.
Yeah, but they've proven they can release info without directs. There's nothing holding them from making a press release, tweet, or anything to get info out.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Last week is the last week for OCTOber. And if that was what they were planning on the whole time with all of that teasing this month, then well played, Nintendo. There's another five hour maintenance on Monday, but that may not do anything big. So don't get your hopes up.

From what I'm reading, the game is coded to handle the Octolings as paid DLC. That's not going to stop me after waiting since June for them! I'll pay.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
Last week is the last week for OCTOber. And if that was what they were planning on the whole time with all of that teasing this month, then well played, Nintendo. There's another five hour maintenance on Monday, but that may not do anything big. So don't get your hopes up.

From what I'm reading, the game is coded to handle the Octolings as paid DLC. That's not going to stop me after waiting since June for them! I'll pay.
I knew it. My gut kept saying, "hey aqua! this is a lot of effort for optional content, and no male octos. bet they'll make it dlc!" So where's the dlc info? anyone been tweeting today?

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I knew it. My gut kept saying, "hey aqua! this is a lot of effort for optional content, and no male octos. bet they'll make it dlc!" So where's the dlc info? anyone been tweeting today?
Nope, just a assumption based on how the game dealt with Octolings in the plaza from the new update. It ignores anyone with Octolings in the Plaza and what confirms it is, If you're playing as an Octoling, when you go in the tower, the game will change your character back into the female Inkling, as if it was checking for something. Which is likely the DLC key. Some say it's just a way to deal with the hackers, but my hunch tells me it's a kill two birds with one stone situation.

They know they can make a lot of free money from the Octoling with the hype they have now. As we were speculating, the update feels half done. And the other half could be coming soon for all we know. The teasing Nintendo did the whole month leads to something. And it's next week or never.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
Nope, just a assumption based on how the game dealt with Octolings in the plaza from the new update. It ignores anyone with Octolings in the Plaza and what confirms it is, If you're playing as an Octoling, when you go in the tower, the game will change your character back into the female Inkling, as if it was checking for something. Which is likely the DLC key. Some say it's just a way to deal with the hackers, but my hunch tells me it's a kill two birds with one stone situation.

They know they can make a lot of free money from the Octoling with the hype they have now. As we were speculating, the update feels half done. And the other half could be coming soon for all we know. The teasing Nintendo did the whole month leads to something. And it's next week or never.
oh, ok. settle down gut. no new info yet. seems they can still go either way with it, but dlc's a likely option.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
It isn't free money; there is most certainly at least one programmer getting paid to put in all this Octoling stuff. If it's paid DLC, they will have to try to turn a profit from that (but I think they will).

Sunstone

Let's ink it up... together!
NNID
Paleamethyst
Splatoon has given us such a multitude of free content that it may make good sense from a financial standpoint to use something like Octolings as paid DLC.

A large chunk of the work was done for them during the main game's development. All the preliminary design work and background was finished with the full team, so gathering a couple people to poke away at adding the bits needed to make them compatible, which, for example, is much less labor intensive than adding a character in Smash, probably looked like a great chance to get some more money out of a game that's already given us a HUGE amount of expanding content. For free.

Flipz

Senior Squid
NNID
FlipzMCL
It isn't free money; there is most certainly at least one programmer getting paid to put in all this Octoling stuff. If it's paid DLC, they will have to try to turn a profit from that (but I think they will).
I think by now it's pretty clear by this point that Nintendo's return on investment in the Octolings (if they do release them as paid DLC) is going to be absolutely MASSIVE. :P

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Has it crossed anyone's mind that maybe just maybe they have yet to drop this on us because they are working on male octolings? I mean, seems like more than enough of a reason to keep it from us. I doubt they would keep Octolings female and leave the males screwed out of luck. I have a gut feeling they're working on male octoling models, and when they do finish, they may announce it.

I just have a hard time believing they'll leave male players out in the rain.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Has it crossed anyone's mind that maybe just maybe they have yet to drop this on us because they are working on male octolings? I mean, seems like more than enough of a reason to keep it from us. I doubt they would keep Octolings female and leave the males screwed out of luck. I have a gut feeling they're working on male octoling models, and when they do finish, they may announce it.

I just have a hard time believing they'll leave male players out in the rain.
I would like to believe it, but the male animation file (Which has known animation files for the Inkling Boy) from what I'm reading hasn't been touched at all. The female one, (Which has known animation files for the Inkling Girl and Octoling) have been updated with this new update.

Also, the majority of players prefer playing as the Inkling Girl. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. Why waste money and development time on something that won't get used as much as the girl anyway? It probably would cost Nintendo extra money and the release would likely take longer for something that the majority would not use. Also, if there were Male Octolings, we'd know about it already because there would be remnants of it's existence in the code. From the looks of it, if you want to play as a male character, you'll have to use the Male Inkling sadly. I hope I'm wrong though.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Also, the majority of players prefer playing as the Inkling Girl. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. Why waste money and development time on something that won't get used as much as the girl anyway? It probably would cost Nintendo extra money and the release would likely take longer for something that the majority would not use. Also, if there were Male Octolings, we'd know about it already because there would be remnants of it's existence in the code. From the looks of it, if you want to play as a male character, you'll have to use the Male Inkling sadly. I hope I'm wrong though.
I play with the inkling female as well, despite being a male. Protip though, Nintendo isn't going to leave the male half of their fanbase in the dust. That would be an absolutely stupid thing to do. To think they wouldn't have male Octolings because the female inkling is more popular is just absurd. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. It's not a waste of money when the people that want to be Octolings as well as male get what they want. You act like Nintendo is up to their eyeballs in debt and can't afford the creation of a male octolling. Just because it seems untouched doesn't mean it is so. It would be a, excuse my language, retarded move financially to not allow their male fan base to also be octolings. Nintendo tries their hardest to refrain from pissing off their fanbase, I doubt they'd act any differently here.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Inkling Girl is the mascot of the series, so is natural most players gravitate towards her. That doesn't mean Octoling Boy wouldn't have his fanbase should he be added, after all, a lot of people play Inkling Boy (even I switch from girl to Inkling Boy at times, just to shake thing up a bit). That being said, I am not confident we are getting Octoling Boy... I hope we don't, though!

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Protip though, Nintendo isn't going to leave the male half of their fanbase in the dust. That would be an absolutely stupid thing to do.
They will if money's involved. They know the Male Inkling got ignored for the most part and he's a last minute decision. And the development team is smaller, and that means less budget which means less features to add post launch.

To think they wouldn't have male Octolings because the female inkling is more popular is just absurd. I'm sorry, but that's the truth.
"But then why waste money on a male character? The female will be used more!" Is the thought here. So are you going to try and convince me that the male will be used to nearly the same degree as the female, making the development costs worth it? The Inklings proved that won't be the case, so why spend any more money than they already have? Also, female locked races have been a thing in games.

It's not a waste of money when the people that want to be Octolings as well as male get what they want. You act like Nintendo is up to their eyeballs in debt and can't afford the creation of a male octolling.
Nintendo is a business, first and foremost. They have always thought about the long term and do not like to spend large amounts of money on things that are not hardware. This hasn't changed very much for years. They are not broke, but they are not going to spend extra money on something that would be played by a fraction of the players.

Just because it seems untouched doesn't mean it is so. It would be a, excuse my language, retarded move financially to not allow their male fan base to also be octolings.
The entire reason the Octolings are even wanted is due to their appearance. We know what the girls look like and we only have a basic idea on what the males looks like in the Sunken Scroll, but do not actually appear in game. Why are you expecting something that didn't even appear in the single player at all?

Nintendo tries their hardest to refrain from pissing off their fanbase, I doubt they'd act any differently here.
Too late. They already have due to them not announcing anything to get really excited over in the past few weeks.

Again, If you would read my last thought on my post you'd find I do want them too, but It doesn't look likely is all I'm trying to say. I'm preparing the bunkers in case they reveal it's female only.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Sigh. . . Fine, I'll bite. . .

They will if money's involved. They know the Male Inkling got ignored for the most part and he's a last minute decision. And the development team is smaller, and that means less budget which means less features to add post launch.

It most certainly was not ignored. Yes, it wasn't as popular, but that in no way is a finite reason to completely remove any ability to even create a male Octoling. Dev teams being smaller does not instantly mean less budget btw, even if it is a smaller budget creating a male octoling would not put them in the hole. That's what being paid DLC would alleviate. So, uhm, by less features do you mean having weapons to release every week and constant gear additions? Just curious. If the dev team is as small as you're making it seem, it's incredible that their capable of as much content as they've already given us.

"But then why waste money on a male character? The female will be used more!" Is the thought here. So are you going to try and convince me that the male will be used to nearly the same degree as the female, making the development costs worth it? The Inklings proved that won't be the case, so why spend any more money than they already have? Also, female locked races have been a thing in games.

I get your thoughts on the matter, you made it very clear. I'm not going to convince you of an unseen variable, since, it's completely impossible to do. But to sit here and act like the male Octoling won't get used is ridiculous. Maybe not to the same degree as the female, but it will be used, and it will give male players that want to portray such in game the satisfaction they deserve. Yea, female specific classes/races have been used in other games, but that has nothing to do with this. I mean, other than using irrelevant outside instances to back your argument.

Nintendo is a business, first and foremost. They have always thought about the long term and do not like to spend large amounts of money on things that are not hardware. This hasn't changed very much for years. They are not broke, but they are not going to spend extra money on something that would be played by a fraction of the players.

Alright, I'm glad I get the chance to approach this, since this will be a juicy portion of my reply. . . You're right, they are a business. With that said, I'm getting pretty tired of that being the go to statement. They are a business that makes it their utmost priority to please their fans. This would be no different. I'm glad you brought up the "large amounts of money on things that are not hardware" though because, let's apply that to Smash Bros. . . They have given constant DLC that is not hardware for a while now. Characters, stages, mii costumes etc. some of which no one ever uses and never intends to use (namely mii costumes).These are just as difficult if not more difficult to create due to hitboxes, stun animations, etc. Yet, they're going to be dropping 3 more maybe even 6 on us in the near future. Should they apply the same "well if they're not gonna use this character why add it" mindset? Especially in a game that is entirely dependent on movesets, lag time, hitboxes, etc. The ballot is a prime example of this. Just because a character is popular, doesn't mean it will be good. If it's not good, it won't be used. That is the way of Smash Bros, but they will develop these characters anyways because they answered to their fanbase. Ya know, pleasing their fans. They are spending extra money on something that may be played by a fraction of the players as we speak. So, I'm not sure how solid that argument is.

The entire reason the Octolings are even wanted is due to their appearance. We know what the girls look like and we only have a basic idea on what the males looks like in the Sunken Scroll, but do not actually appear in game. Why are you expecting something that didn't even appear in the single player at all?

Who said I was expecting anything? I simply gave a logical reasoning as to what's "taking so long". It would make sense to have them if they are to become playable so that the players can choose whatever gender of whichever race they want. I am not expecting male Octolings to be playable, I'm not even really expecting female Octolings to be playable. I simply gave a possibility as to what is going on right now.

Too late. They already have due to them not announcing anything to get really excited over in the past few weeks.

Yet again another go to statement. . . They don't have to keep us on a constant hype train ya know. They don't have to constantly announce things every week and a half. That's what made E3 so lackluster was they spent all of 2014 selling all the games they could have shown at E3. I'm sure they've noticed this and have taken heed to it. I see this mindset no longer applies to just the Pokemon fanbase now, and it's making me wonder why people feel the need to constantly have something huge on their plate.

Again, If you would read my last thought on my post you'd find I do want them too, but It doesn't look likely is all I'm trying to say. I'm preparing the bunkers in case they reveal it's female only.

I read it, and I in no way said you didn't want them in the game. Didn't even imply it. I simply presented a counter argument. All I'm trying to say is that leaving a portion of their male fanbase out in the rain, no matter how large or small it may be, would be a dumb move on their part. I'm not preparing for anything personally. And I see you've already set your mind on one outcome despite being passive aggressive in saying you wouldn't mind males being in there. If your mind is set on Females being the only playable octolings and are showing no signs of wavering then there is no point in continuing this "debate".

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
This is taken from Inkipedia so it may be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually correct.

According to their original Japanese name, takozonesu (From octopus and amazons), it seems that they all are female. To support this, the Octolings that the player encounters appear to be female.

The amazons as you may have known are all female warriors in mythology.

Of course we did see DJ Octavio who is male so it's not entirely out of the question that male octolings cannot be a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom