• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Piranha Pit

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
i switched to roller for the splat zone today on the pit map and wow good success i almost maxed out A+ so close

XenoPixel

Senior Squid
NNID
XenoPixel
I kind of hate this map as of right now. I think the layout is odd and there are certain areas that I never see myself going to, at least in ranked (I'm looking at you Saltspray Rig). I do like the conveyor belts however. I imagine unleashing a seeker rush on one would be very fun. Maybe the map will grow on me, but as of right now I don't like it.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
So, has anyone seen this TC glitch yet in their playthroughs?

No bones in Inkling bodies aside, that can't be a comfortable position to stay in.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I'm really fond of this map. The Inkbrush/Octobrush and Slosher weapons do amazing on Piranha Pit. With all the tight corners and ledges to slosh over, they make for some really powerful weapons to keep control of the map. The Hydra is also amazing on the map. It took me a little bit to learn the layout of the map so I would know the best spots to go with the Hydra but once I learned it, I found that the Hydra is really powerful and great at support on this course. I'm not overly fond of the way my roller works on the course. I've only found that I like my roller during Splat Zones on Piranha Pit. It feels a bit weird to me using it on Piranha Pit in any other mode.

The map is really nice and it's really fun. I'm definitely glad that the map is more geared towards short ranged weapons rather than long ranged ones. We have a lot of maps that benefit longer ranged weapons so it's nice to see one where the benefit seems to be on short ranged.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
Things I like about this map:
-Balanced for chargers, good vantage points but they don't lock down the whole map.
-Somewhat like Walleye, in the middle almost any weapon can do well.
-Can't get spawn camped

Things I don't like:
-Some of the belt placements are just awkward, like the one from spawn and the one to the left of it.
-Half the map is just.. out of the way. Mainly just inkable turf to farm but I wish it was in the mix.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Can't stand this map, especially in SZ. In theory the map is huge but you're only going to use 1/4th of the map for it, leaving you with two small alleyways and ramps to do most of the fighting. The zones are also ridiculously close to spawn on top having a few vantage points overlooking it, making splats nearly meaningless resulting in matches being long stalemates just for getting the first few first points. The conveyor in front of spawn is more of a hindrance, it stops your team from being able to retreat.

It's allright in turf war. Haven't played TW/RM yet on it.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
When it was released, this quickly became a favorite map. But having played it a few more times as players become familiar with it I'm starting to get annoyed by it (in TW, I haven't had it in ranked so far.) The two issues I've had when playing it is that due to its enormity and ease of inking, high turf rate weapons can easily charge up multiple specials before doing much of anything. it gets annoying in the first 30-40 seconds either fending off 2 waves of full bubbler squads, or 2-3 simultaneous krakens incoming. You can outrun the krakens very easily but then you're fighting a defensive position deep inside your own base and they can set up a spawn camp while you do. Or just the annoyance of 3 inkstrikes back to back before even digging in. It's a valid tactic, but it's one that gets annoying to deal with. Splatoon normally has a fast & frantic pace, and in this map it's just 30 seconds of dead center followed by an invincible assault.

The second problem is following whichever side launches an invincible assault first, it actually is pretty easy to get spawncamped. I've seen several rounds where 3 opponents sit in front of the spawn conveyor and one at the exit near the ramp to the side area. From there they can shoot everyone that goes forward from spawn, and easily react to the sides as anyone tries to escape. If they're a superior team, there's really nothing you can do about it. In fact it's a whole lot like Walleye Warehouse in that regard, except due to the vast turf it's far less possible to force a last minute turnaround with a sudden flank, particularly in TW.

Splatfest with this thing is going to be pretty annoying depending on the matchup.

I still have a lot of fun with the actual battles on the map though, and the fun TW requirements of trying to get into both side areas. But it's unfortunately a map that requires both teams to "choose to play fair and square" for it to be really fun, and when you get a team that exploits what you CAN do with it, the fun drops out. I'm not sure how they'll remedy it yet, but I can see some modifications coming in the future. When there's two "fair" teams, it's a blast and generally yields "too close to call" results within a percent or two which is great.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
This is a solid map. I enjoy it on all modes, which I cant say about a lot of maps.

Rainmaker in particular. I've been able to get a knockout right out the gate in under 30 seconds several times. The only other map I can recall doing that on is Mahi Mahi.

electraheart

Senior Squid
NNID
howalive
so far, i like it. it's new and definitely different from the rest. it's really horizontal though . i wish they could have utilized it though. it seems almost a waste especially in the ranked modes . everything is just extremely compact. i think it would have been cool if they had put the two splat zones on the way opposite sides of the map maybe.
i like that it's not extremely easy to spawn camp though. there are multiple ways to go if the other team's blocking areas.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
so far, i like it. it's new and definitely different from the rest. it's really horizontal though . i wish they could have utilized it though. it seems almost a waste especially in the ranked modes . everything is just extremely compact. i think it would have been cool if they had put the two splat zones on the way opposite sides of the map maybe.
i like that it's not extremely easy to spawn camp though. there are multiple ways to go if the other team's blocking areas.
Mismatched teams get spawncamped easily by aggressors here. Not worse, and probably better than Arowana, Mackarel, Walleye, but still in that group. When 3-4 opponents sit in front of the conveyor in front of spawn, they can easily watch for anyone going out straight, going to the left toward the ramp conveyor, or out to the right toward their own base. They might have an issue if someone goes down to the side area, but one player can usually clean it up fast. I've seen it a few times in TW where we either all get spawn camped if against vastly superior opponents, or I manage to break out and go work on inking their base, but the rest of my team never gets past spawn (and for some reason never jumps to me...which is their own fault, not the map's.)

I think adding an obstruction to block the view of the sides, or adding an opening to escape to the sides from spawn more stealthily would easily solve the spawncamp issue though. The trouble right now is in front of that conveyor, there's a clear view of all escape routes, so you can cover them all from one spot.

The lag mentioned above I think is the real problem in the map though. It happens in many maps but it does seem worse here. People jumping off the conveyor 3 times only to still be shooting from it; people turning into krakens AFTER you shot them with full charge eliter rounds twice (and heard the hit sound); people that take AoE damage from 5-6 burst balloons, with hit sounds, don't die, splat you and were not wearing any armor; rollers you chased down that are now attacking you from behind. Swimming in your own ink to suddenly instantaneously be surrounded by enemy ink everywhere, and surfaces you inked suddenly being bare ground. Not uncommon anywhere, but persistent here. I suspect the load of tracking players on conveyors is to blame along with the size. It can probably be fixed by streamlining the conveyor tracking.

I love the map layout. But I groan a little when it's in rotation due to those two issues. But I do love playing it, I either get a lot of splats or a lot of TW paint points here :)

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
Once I catch it on camera I'll upload it in fact I'll do it now

Maybe someone else posted this on this thread but I just didn't see it but anyway there's a pretty cool Easter egg which involves the great zap fish
In turf war when the timer reaches 50 seconds if you head down to the big open areas (the one with jelonzo on a boat) in turf war
And look out to sea you will see the great zap fish swimming in the water

Pinko

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pinkolol16
already knew, i spent the first day looking for it since drlilrobot was teasing it.
inklings die from electrocution in water. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom