• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon Online Squads

Siledh

Senior Squid
NNID
Siledhrel
Coming from SEVERAL mk8 clans, there will be people playing this game from around the world which makes it difficult for half of the clan to be available at one time for a war. From what I've seen, the successful clans have had around 15-30 members. The more members, the more opportunity for war which means experience
Definitely, we so far have 10 players in ours, 5 from the EU and 5 from the US. Our captain, @Aura, is hoping to make it an even 8 to each region, which means less lag involved. Each region can practise with each other and then fight, etc. Definitely a good idea to have a larger group/clan/guild.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
WOW, i am late to this. i didn't have any idea a thread like this was even up! this thread is a really promising start for splatoon teams :)

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
Coming from SEVERAL mk8 clans, there will be people playing this game from around the world which makes it difficult for half of the clan to be available at one time for a war. From what I've seen, the successful clans have had around 15-30 members. The more members, the more opportunity for war which means experience
But Splatoon is also a much more team-focused game. The team needs to work well with each other, know their style. Having too many players loses that connection. In Mario Kart 8, there really isn't that much of a need for teamwork, at least, not like in Splatoon.
So even though you may play more, you may not actually win more. Plus, that would not be good for individual player statistics.

StarForce

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Hyrule, Mushroom, Nohr, Comet Observatory
But Splatoon is also a much more team-focused game. The team needs to work well with each other, know their style. Having too many players loses that connection. In Mario Kart 8, there really isn't that much of a need for teamwork, at least, not like in Splatoon.
So even though you may play more, you may not actually win more. Plus, that would not be good for individual player statistics.
Agree totally. My Smash record in glory mode only is 24.??% round it to 25% I have aprox 1200+ battles on that mode specifically. how many have I won? a measly 340~ish. So I have battled a lot yet my win ratio is Mediocre. Just like Sinistral Gades says on Lufia: The Legend returns when the main party of 3 humans out of 9 max is about to beat a God (himself) says: "Quality over Quantity..."

Thank you all also for the feedback and interest. Whoever has a Squad set already can post it here and I'll add it to the list. Have fun forming your teams!

@Aura Sorry I tend to associate people with their pictures in forums. I'm a visual person.

Last edited:

Setu

I'll tell you one thing: MK8 requires TONS more teamwork than Sm4sh. You can't simply assume that it requires little to no teamwork if you have no experience in war and even less in the mario kart community whatsoever. I could get SEVERAL people from the mario kart community to back me up. And don't even pull the "you don't have experience in the smash community", because I do. In case you are wondering what competitive mario kart looks like(since none of you know), here is a good example:
You have to worry about not hitting your teammate(which is all smash bros is), you have to plan lightnings + stars/bullets, and planning when to use items. But if it was a bunch of smashboards people playing, they wouldn't even be using items lol

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
I'll tell you one thing: MK8 requires TONS more teamwork than Sm4sh. You can't simply assume that it requires little to no teamwork if you have no experience in war and even less in the mario kart community whatsoever. I could get SEVERAL people from the mario kart community to back me up. And don't even pull the "you don't have experience in the smash community", because I do. In case you are wondering what competitive mario kart looks like(since none of you know), here is a good example:
You have to worry about not hitting your teammate(which is all smash bros it), you have to plan lightnings + stars/bullets, and planning when to use items. But if it was a bunch of smashboards people playing, they wouldn't even be using items lol
Wait a second. I actually do have experience in the community, but I left due to... disagreements. I never said teamwork wasn't required. I said the following: "But Splatoon is also a much more team-focused game. The team needs to work well with each other, know their style. Having too many players loses that connection. In Mario Kart 8, there really isn't that much of a need for teamwork, at least, not like in Splatoon."
I was comparing it to Splatoon Specifically.
And I would disagree about the whole items thing. In Smash, items are hazardous. With Mario Kart, they are required and a key mechanic.
Smash does require team work in team battles a lot as well (which is currently more popular for Sm4sh atm). However, I do not see a real reason to bring up Smash, as it was never something I compared it to until you brought it up.
I am not trying to pick a fight or trying to win an argument. I am simply trying to get us on the same page. I cannot stop you from doing what you want. Do what you want, and I will do what I want. Only until the meta develops is when we are required to change. :)

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
Anyway, I dunno why we had to get off subject on Smash, seeing as we were purely just comparing i Mario Kart and Splatoon. Let's get off the subject, why don't we?
@StarForce I hope you do not mind me posting a video at midnight. It will deal with The Squidicide Squad, my group. :)

Setu

Wait a second. I actually do have experience in the community, but I left due to... disagreements. I never said teamwork wasn't required. I said the following: "But Splatoon is also a much more team-focused game. The team needs to work well with each other, know their style. Having too many players loses that connection. In Mario Kart 8, there really isn't that much of a need for teamwork, at least, not like in Splatoon."
I was comparing it to Splatoon Specifically.
And I would disagree about the whole items thing. In Smash, items are hazardous. With Mario Kart, they are required and a key mechanic.
Smash does require team work in team battles a lot as well (which is currently more popular for Sm4sh atm). However, I do not see a real reason to bring up Smash, as it was never something I compared it to until you brought it up.
I am not trying to pick a fight or trying to win an argument. I am simply trying to get us on the same page. I cannot stop you from doing what you want. Do what you want, and I will do what I want. Only until the meta develops is when we are required to change. :)
You may have said you have experience in the community, but you never said experience in war setting. And I agree that splatoon will (hopefully and likely) require more teamwork, but that has nothing to do with the amount of members that would be ideal to a "squad". I simply used mario kart as an example of how clans/teams work, and how the clans are more comparable to splatoon than crews from ssb.
Smash has friendly fire option on teams. That is one strategy specially with disconected characters like Luma, pikmins and lasers, Pacman's fruits, Palutena's aura reticle etc.
Thank you, for stating the obvious as I have already stated that I have experience in the smash community and therefore know how it works.

Last edited:

StarForce

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You may have said you have experience in the community, but you never said experience in war setting. And I agree that splatoon will (hopefully and likely) require more teamwork, but that has nothing to do with the amount of members that would be ideal to a "squad". I simply used mario kart as an example of how clans/teams work, and how the clans are more comparable to splatoon than crews from ssb.

Thank you, for stating the obvious as I have already stated that I have experience in the smash community and therefore know how it works.
That's ok. But it's well to talk diferences. Everyone stated their points so it feels like it's been settled. Thou your video post sounded upset a bit. And the team attack was just an example for everyone to read that there is even more team than just landing attack an throws or protect and bait than just two vs two good play. But You can't take much from me since I'm a bad player at Smash. But lets go back on track. For now there will not be a limit to Squad members at least not for now. But I suggest not making a 30+ one just for fun.

@Captain Norris Okay. A vid is cool. Like Setsu's vid to show your squad is?

Setu

Eventually there will have to almost be a set number of players, as scaling points will get really messed up.
I think the number of players should be a decision for the clan, not for the.... whatever the heck this thread is for. The current mario kart clan competitions seem to be working just fine, and they don't have a limit on members. Hmmm.....

StarForce

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think the number of players should be a decision for the clan, not for the.... whatever the heck this thread is for. The current mario kart clan competitions seem to be working just fine, and they don't have a limit on members. Hmmm.....
I like your picture too. Looks Chibi form ^_^

Yes it up to the clan but it ends up when the limit is reached as like for example the army forces. If the Lieutenant assigns you as the leader of a specific unit you as a Sargent cannot add more team members if the Lieutenant assigned a specific number. Therefore it indeed is up to the Captain to add members to the Squad but no more than the limit if imposed. For now There is no limit yet but should something I considered like the individual point per player then I will set a specific number. In such a case comparing Mario kart with Splatoon on who works better if with limit or not is no longer viable as they are different games with different strategies and different rules. If things worked the same for everything I would have copy pasted the crew system from smash clear and identical. Lets not get complicated here now.

Setu

Mario kart is much more comparable than crew battles are. And maybe we should check out TF2 clans and go off them since that is by far the most similar game.

StarForce

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I could check that. Or someone who knows abou t it. There is a member in the Squads/tourney discussion that played in TF2. I can ask for more info from that person. Just remember I'm founding Squads as a fun quick way to battling and is a simple design. I want it to be easy and quick to set up. The tourneys and cup will be the ones with professional level strategy and rules. They won't be run by me so Things will be different but Squads can give you the experience you can expect when aiming for the real thing! I hope everyone likes the Squads since I like the idea and would love everyone to experience it. Have fun and all. I myself won't have Splatoon but I'd like to contribute to the community with something nice they can enjoy. Many things are being considered and I'm getting feedback so. Nothing is written in stone yet. I'll have more updates soon.

SuperMii3D

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
I should be in a MK8 crew >_> Im pretty op at that game....

EDIT- Id say 16 members is pretty good. 8 for each region, but Im not sure how that would roll out. Would EU ever interact with NA? If so whats the point of being in one single squad if were never going to meet? o_O

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom