• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

☆ Perfect Team Mate? | Gaming Etiquette

Squididly

Full Squid
NNID
Squididly
So unlike many other gamers, Splatoon was my first real online shooter experience.

Often I find myself questioning whether or not my team mates are screaming at me from the other side of the screen, due to my inexperience with games of this kind. I consider myself a fast learner and decent gamer, so when my team seems to go to crap, I can't help but wonder if it's me or them.

What are some qualities you appreciate in a serious team mate? What are some things players do that drive you crazy?

Glacei

Inkster Jr.
Honestly, there are a number of things I think fall under each of these categories, even under some sub-categories such as Preferrable and Necessary. But typically, I find an ideal "serious teammate" to:
Necessary:
-Have a general feel for their weapon (I say general because we all have to try new things, right?)
-Be versatile in combat, and know when to be where when things get shaky.

Preferrable:
-Know at least basic callouts
-Not be a squidbagger, it's more of a pet peeve but it's mildly embarassing having someone like that on my team
-Just in general be someone who's fun to play with/against, after all, it is just a game :D

That's pretty much it from me, I'm sure people have stuff to add to this thread as well, so I'll take this opportunity and leave you with this.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
^^^Nice! Beat me to it.^^^
I encourage early practice of using as well as following other's c'mon's/to me's

I just finished posting a little blurb on my first succesful solo ranked c'mon team and I tell you.

It feels magical.

PS: This is amazing in S rank and up, results may vary in other ranks.
...Still try it though, the results make it worth the risk in my opinion.

Squididly

Full Squid
NNID
Squididly
I know this makes me a noob, but what are callouts? I'd really like to be able to play on a team eventually, but I don't really know any of the necessary terminology. If there's already something posted about it somewhere on here I'd greatly appreciate a link.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Never really thought about this before. Basically just be well rounded players, you don't need to be amazing for me to appreciate you being on my team.

Being respectful is one. I gain a LOT of respect for anyone either on my team, or the enemy team, who does not participate in spawn camping for example. After a particularly brutal one sided match, I quickly look at the kill counts of the winning team. The ones who just stood back to give the other team some breathing room are following some real sportsmanship to me.

Going with respect, people who are gracious in their wins who don't do any taunting are always appreciated as well. Like someone mentioned, seeing a teammate being a jerk to others gives me some second hand shame.

Booya exchanging is also great for feeling like a really well working team. And people who will go out of their way to help you in a match are true stars. Guarding a friendly jump marker for example, is always nice. Unless I have like two or more enemies rushing me and my teammate's jump marker, I'll defend it, sometimes getting splatted but allowing them land safely.

And finally, teammates who will actually use my beakons I worked so hard to place in strategic areas in the map. You are the true stars!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Situational awareness is always a good thing to have. Watch what your allies are doing so you can decide to assist if need be, and watch your own footing so you don't step in front of a sniper's line of fire, or anyone's really. Personal space is important even in squid combat :P

veenickz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
veenickz
What are some qualities you appreciate in a serious team mate? What are some things players do that drive you crazy?
Well, for me...

First of all, dont spam super jump. Just swim if there is no safe jump

Dont use the same weapon over and over, especially when you know its not working at all in the mode/rotation. Yeah, unless you use chargers, because all teams need one and i cannot use one :p

Dont paint all the base at the beginning of a match

If you have Beakon, use it
If you have Bubbler and share it to push together, i really appreciate it
If you use Splash Wall to protect super jump landing point, i will booyah you
If you use Inkbrush, please dont engage from front. If Carbon, dont ambush but get splatted instead...
In short, use your main, subs, and special properly

Learn the shortcuts and optimal opening routes on every maps

And for that, please play regularly. You cannot hope to play properly when you rarely play

Last but not least: No squidbagging. No squid parties!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Dont use the same weapon over and over, especially when you know its not working at all in the mode/rotation. Yeah, unless you use chargers, because all teams need one

Maybe a long-range unit, sure, but not every team needs a charger, my friend :P They're a little specialized to be essential.

NNID
smasher15x
So unlike many other gamers, Splatoon was my first real online shooter experience.

Often I find myself questioning whether or not my team mates are screaming at me from the other side of the screen, due to my inexperience with games of this kind. I consider myself a fast learner and decent gamer, so when my team seems to go to crap, I can't help but wonder if it's me or them.

One of the biggest things I look for in a teammate is know what weapons your team is using. By knowing what each teammate has, you'll know what they will do good at and what they need your help doing, for example: I like to use the custom hydra splatling, but one of my biggest problems is chargers, if one of my teammates recognizes this, hopefully they will help take care of the charger and then I will be in a more comfortable position. So basically, just know how each weapon on your team performs so you can put them in a position to perform at their best.

Last edited:

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I know this makes me a noob, but what are callouts? I'd really like to be able to play on a team eventually, but I don't really know any of the necessary terminology. If there's already something posted about it somewhere on here I'd greatly appreciate a link.
I don't know where this has been posted before, but in solo ranked it's simple enough(since the game only gives you two)
so I'll just post it here for your convenience.

I am referring to the c'mon/booyah or to me!/nice! on the directional pad on the lower left of the gamepad.

-C'mon!/to me! always means that the signaler is requesting backup at their position. So either super jump to them OR if you-are-close-enough/they-are-pinned-down just swim. I use it most commonly on rainmaker when next to the rainmaker and I want someone else to pick it up since I have my special ready.is usually

-Booyah!/Nice! is either to compliment a teammate for an awesome kill(s) and possibly saving your butt from certain splat. Not that I ever need saving, I'm amazing *sniff*.
BUT it can also be used by a fallen squid to signal to his teammates when his killer is still nearby/on-top-of his splatted corpse, allwoing for at least a little use out of the kill cam in solo ranked.

If you do get into squads and tournaments and such, each squad will vary with how and what they callout, but it doesn't hurt to get a leg up before joining...
so I'd say check out ThatsRb2Dude... Squidkids I think has done a video or two on callouts, and maaaaybe rocketek(I only distintcly remember Dude's videos)

The "pro callouts" are just voice chat telling your squad-mates where specifically on the map where an enemy is and/or where they are headed. Never pro squaded before, but to my knowledge most of these callouts are done by the long-range/support guy.

Squididly

Full Squid
NNID
Squididly
I don't know where this has been posted before, but in solo ranked it's simple enough(since the game only gives you two)
so I'll just post it here for your convenience.

I am referring to the c'mon/booyah or to me!/nice! on the directional pad on the lower left of the gamepad.

-C'mon!/to me! always means that the signaler is requesting backup at their position. So either super jump to them OR if you-are-close-enough/they-are-pinned-down just swim. I use it most commonly on rainmaker when next to the rainmaker and I want someone else to pick it up since I have my special ready.is usually

-Booyah!/Nice! is either to compliment a teammate for an awesome kill(s) and possibly saving your butt from certain splat. Not that I ever need saving, I'm amazing *sniff*.
BUT it can also be used by a fallen squid to signal to his teammates when his killer is still nearby/on-top-of his splatted corpse, allwoing for at least a little use out of the kill cam in solo ranked.

If you do get into squads and tournaments and such, each squad will vary with how and what they callout, but it doesn't hurt to get a leg up before joining...
so I'd say check out ThatsRb2Dude... Squidkids I think has done a video or two on callouts, and maaaaybe rocketek(I only distintcly remember Dude's videos)

The "pro callouts" are just voice chat telling your squad-mates where specifically on the map where an enemy is and/or where they are headed. Never pro squaded before, but to my knowledge most of these callouts are done by the long-range/support guy.
Than you for the info, very useful.
I've been eating up Squidkids and finding them very helpful. I just wish it was easier to find updated stuff of quality.

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
Being respectful is one. I gain a LOT of respect for anyone either on my team, or the enemy team, who does not participate in spawn camping for example. After a particularly brutal one sided match, I quickly look at the kill counts of the winning team. The ones who just stood back to give the other team some breathing room are following some real sportsmanship to me.

Going with respect, people who are gracious in their wins who don't do any taunting are always appreciated as well. Like someone mentioned, seeing a teammate being a jerk to others gives me some second hand shame.
You can hate me all you want for this, but I see nothing wrong with spawn camping. I see no reason to have to give the other team any breathing room if they're being spawn camped. Is it a pain when you're on the not so fortunate team? Sure, but it doesn't make sense for them to back off so the other team can possibly make a comeback when the spawn camping team has already have them trapped at their base. After all, they ended up spawn camped at their base fair and square.

Now if you were to have the whole other team spawn camping AND squidbagging, that would be some seriously bad sportsmanship in my opinion. They're already owning the battlefield and there's really no point in rubbing it in the other team's face like that.

I consider squidbagging in general bad sportsmanship, not just if the team is doing it while spawn camping. I understand if players do it to try to mess with their opponents and try to get the person to mainly target them, but I personally am not going to go out of my way to attempt to target one specific person. I'm not sure how well that tactic works, but either way it makes the player who does it look really bad. It even looks bad when you're squidbagging the squidbagger back after splatting them despite not being the first to do it. I'll occasionally squidbag back if I happen to splat the squidbagger who squidbagged me or a teammate, but that's it. I really don't do that often mainly because it is mildly distracting, even for a couple seconds. Spamming ZL should really only be done at squid parties.

Yeah, this was edited. My other response was a little rushed and I feel like this new wording does a better job explaining what I meant to explain the first time.

Last edited:

SmokyWreck

A captain of the darkness.
I'm more of a goofy player then a competitive player.. But i do play often and see myself as decent at this game. I love to squad and go in rank with friends

And i have seen and did many lil things that i see as good sportmanship. Like, saying Booyah/Nice when my death is avenged or i see a nice splat. When someone help me up a wall i take the time as i swim up to press the Booyah/Nice to show my gratitude and the likes. It's something i honestly enjoy and love seeing on the turf. It's nice and make it so that even if you loose, you have a smile on your face because you had a nice time

But there's also thing that annoy me a lot;
-People who spam the c'mon/to me when their team is loosing. It annoy me a lot because i have the reflex of immediatly super-jump to a team-mates that say c'mon/to me and i end up either back at the span or in a death trap because my team-mate die by my super-jumping indication that revealed their position..
-Squidbaggers. Now, i've never really dealed with actual squidbagging. Because everytime it happened to me it was in a funny situation or my team still won. But i honestly think it's disgraceful, but then again i understand the taunting bit of it
-Spawn camping. Now, i don't think it's wrong per say, because it's fairly easy to get out. But it's more of having team-mate that DOESN'T superjump to you when you're out of the spawn camping, securing an area for them to super-jump and saying c'mon/to me but NOBODY superjump to you.. It's overly annoying to me. It's like they WANT to be spawncamped !

So honestly.. Good sportmenship to me is; Be friendly
Bad is; Compromising everyone's performance by behing salty

I dunno if it made sense ahah--

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
For some reason~... I like your avatar!

Some added things from my recent salty adventures (view the Dead Sea Salt thread):
  • Where possible, turn your teammates 1v1 into a 2v1
  • Ink your teammates' feet or an escape path for them when you see they're in trouble
  • Throw as much ink as you can on or around an opponent engaging your teammate; this will weaken and trap them
  • Personally, I will jump at or in front of a teammate and taptaptaptap "Booyah!/Nice!" while wildly jump shooting in a direction in hopes that they notice
    • I notice an opponent pretending to be Solid Squid and is camping or sneaking around nearby
    • Someone popped a special and we need to take cover
    • There's a BatSquid above us and she'll make you swear
    • There's a pirate after our booties
  • If you and your team are playing the "I don't want to pick up the rainmaker, you do it!" game, make sure someone from the other team doesn't tiptoe over to grab it—sometimes they'll do it through your own ink!
    • Same applies for Tower Control
  • If someone grabs the rainmaker and you have a special to help them out, give them the "C'mon!/To me!" signal
  • If everyone is pushing forward with the goldfish, consider guarding the booty from plunder—if you go down, spam "Booyah!/Nice!" so the others know there's trouble
  • Two or three teammates heading back to respawn during a push? Find somewhere safe then "C'mon!/To me!" so they can jump to you
  • Manage to safely infiltrate your opponents side of the map for a good flank? Give the "C'mon!/To me!" and at least one of them with help you capitalize on the opportunity
And that's what I have to share so far. Hope I didn't give everyone too much of the glaze eyes with that infodump.

I'm more of a goofy player then a competitive player.. But i do play often and see myself as decent at this game. I love to squad and go in rank with friends
I like you already! Goofy players for the win! ...and no one takes my inkbrushes seriously, even when I have my "serious face" on.

SmokyWreck

A captain of the darkness.
I like you already! Goofy players for the win! ...and no one takes my inkbrushes seriously, even when I have my "serious face" on.
I'M A BURSH USER TOO-- I'm a beast with my octobrush nouveau and i often get told i should play more seriously so i could rekt ;v; HONESTLY. They make a big mistake, brushes are dangerous weapon, when you play against someone who's overly aware of everything on the map and use a brush, you're deff in trouble--

While i'm at it. I need to also add to my list of stuff that annoy me;
-Getting squidbagged by someone because you splatted them once

Like honestly.. WOW..

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Lel goofy players unite
-Getting squidbagged by someone because you splatted them once
I'm actually not too bothered by this(unless I am already salty prior to it)
I see it as me slightly improving their time playing Splashing Momma, if only by a teensy tiny bit.
If everyone is pushing forward with the goldfish, consider guarding the booty from plunder—if you go down, spam "Booyah!/Nice!" so the others know there's trouble
-Same applies for Tower Control
While not so much an ediquette thing and more of a strategy thing

THIS.

But only one guy... unless a kraken is swiggity swootying from behind.
When you are carrying the fishy and your teammates push-back a kraken, you feel the love <3

PS: No problemo Squididly, I usually skulk the weapon section to give anyone who sneezes advice when I get on so =p

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
You can hate me all you want for this, but I see nothing wrong with spawn camping. I see no reason to have to give the other team any breathing room if they're being spawn camped. Is it a pain when you're on the not so fortunate team? Sure, but it doesn't make sense for them to back off so the other team can possibly make a comeback when the spawn camping team has already have them trapped at their base. After all, they ended up spawn camped at their base fair and square.
i just find it bad sportsmanship. there's almost little to no way to have a chance if you're being spawncamped. maybe in the last few seconds of the match when youre pushing the objective the final few steps, but spawncamping like 1-2 minutes in? excuse me? being on both receiving and giving ends of this, i just can't stand it. it's cheap, unfair and can be really upsetting to the other team which just doesn't make me feel right at all. i always stick as close to the objective as i can unless its necessary i push, even then, i will avoid throwing myself head-first into their spawn - i don't need to spawn camp to win.

also, i have had many a teammate on my team who will go ahead, ignore the objective, and attempt to spawncamp the other team. it doesn't work, they just keep dying, and the other team is already pushing the objective into our base. it REALLY grinds my gears, and i'm sad at how often i've seen it happen. basically, in a lot of times, spawncamping is detrimental to YOUR team, so please don't do it unless its absolutely necessary, honestly. atleast get the objective before trying to spawncamp! jeez.

(not aimed at you, btw!)

anyway. a good teammate, if we're talking solo queue... just somebody who has good awareness and is a good sport. no squidbagging, no spawncamping, no uncalled for harassment, and we're good. i appreciate responding to me "to me!"s though i understand why it can be confusing (especially in NA where its so ambigious). picking up the tower when i have to move off (i usually spam "to me!" in this case to signal to someone to take it) is great (i make sure the person im alerting has a "tower-y" weapon). spamming nice/booyah to alert me of enemies is a nice bonus, but not necessary. someone who will protect you when superjumping or when under fire is always always appreciated too. using specials to protect me (and other teammates) is double points <3

oh and another one, but i love someone who will squidparty a tiny bit with me during times of safety/quiet. like when you're waiting for the other team to respawn. i've had a couple players do this with me when we're defending the zone together, it always cheers me up. of course, make sure you're paying attention and stop when the enemy comes back, but otherwise, i'm all for it!

in competitive play, i.e. someone i'm voicechatting with, someone who knows basic callouts, looks out for me, and doesn't get salty is perfect. i get kinda nervous when my teammates get angry/salty on call. i totally understand why, but also, pls dont. this doesn't mean being a bit exasperated like "dang that carbon got me on the snipe" or "this INKZOOKA! JEEZ!", but tilting and getting mad at your teammates is not helpful to anyone. you tilt, we all tilt.

sorry for a long post wahaaaa

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
also, i have had many a teammate on my team who will go ahead, ignore the objective, and attempt to spawncamp the other team. it doesn't work, they just keep dying, and the other team is already pushing the objective into our base. it REALLY grinds my gears, and i'm sad at how often i've seen it happen. basically, in a lot of times, spawncamping is detrimental to YOUR team, so please don't do it unless its absolutely necessary, honestly. atleast get the objective before trying to spawncamp! jeez.
Wow, I completely forgot about the singular spawn campers when typing my response.

If a single player completely ignores the objective just to try and attempt to spawn camp the other team, I can understand why that would bother you. That kind of spawn camping is not all that helpful most of the time. Can they get kills? Sure, but your team is not necessarily benefiting from all those kills the camper is getting.

Now if all four players have somehow pushed the entire other team back to their spawn, that's when I think it's appropriate to spawn camp. With the other team at their spawn, your team will be able to carry out the objective easily. (But I usually only see this kind of spawn camping in turf wars when there's not a lot of turf left for the camping team to ink rather than ranked battles. I don't play ranked too often, so please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom