• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

☆ Perfect Team Mate? | Gaming Etiquette

Squididly

Full Squid
NNID
Squididly
I'M A BURSH USER TOO-- I'm a beast with my octobrush nouveau and i often get told i should play more seriously so i could rekt ;v; HONESTLY. They make a big mistake, brushes are dangerous weapon, when you play against someone who's overly aware of everything on the map and use a brush, you're deff in trouble--
You Brushers are terrifying monsters. I've been ambushed by the same Brusher over and OVER again in matches, it's infuriating to have the whole map held by one friggin insanity artist.

I have a Brusher complex, I hate them because I want to BE them.

SmokyWreck

A captain of the darkness.
You Brushers are terrifying monsters.
Honestly-- I use my subs and special just as much as my brush. Most of my kills are with splatbombs to be honest, avoiding them is easy but stick around and i'll know how you play and use it against you

Brush are easy to deal with. As an S rank brusher i still get caugh off guard easily, the best way to deal with a brush that love to ambush you is to be more aware of your surrounding and use your subs to keep them away until you're at a good advantage. Some brusher are often too focussed on getting a splat to notice a bombs

And honestly.. I'm sure you'll get just as good as these ambusher !~

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
Wow, I completely forgot about the singular spawn campers when typing my response.

If a single player completely ignores the objective just to try and attempt to spawn camp the other team, I can understand why that would bother you. That kind of spawn camping is not all that helpful most of the time. Can they get kills? Sure, but your team is not necessarily benefiting from all those kills the camper is getting.

Now if all four players have somehow pushed the entire other team back to their spawn, that's when I think it's appropriate to spawn camp. With the other team at their spawn, your team will be able to carry out the objective easily. (But I usually only see this kind of spawn camping in turf wars when there's not a lot of turf left for the camping team to ink rather than ranked battles. I don't play ranked too often, so please correct me if I'm wrong.)
it's kind of complicated when you think about it like that. i feel, "organic" spawncamping (when you just sort of push the other team back naturally through the flow of the match) is more or less fine. it usually happens at the very end when you're about to land a knockout. it just happens and you don't really think about it. but deliberately spawncamping, especially early on? i'm firmly against that. i guess it's more complex than initially thought, haha.

You Brushers are terrifying monsters. I've been ambushed by the same Brusher over and OVER again in matches, it's infuriating to have the whole map held by one friggin insanity artist.

brushes are so hard to play, and we're really easily ambushed, honestly. but in any case, if you find you have one of those complexes, you should try getting the hang of the weapon yourself! you'll find out exactly what our strengths and weaknesses are, and you can use it against us. i did this with lunas, they used to be the bane of my existence until i started playing with one a bit. kind of a "to beat them you have to BE them" concept ;>

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Like I've said elsewhere, spawncamping bores me. If one team's incompetent enough to be pushed that far back, it means that no one really gets to play for differing reasons based on the teams. Egh. Whenever my team engages in a spawncamp I usually just wander off cause I'm certainly not needed for that nonsense.

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
You can hate me all you want for this, but I see nothing wrong with spawn camping. I see no reason to have to give the other team any breathing room if they're being spawn camped. Is it a pain when you're on the not so fortunate team? Sure, but it doesn't make sense for them to back off so the other team can possibly make a comeback when the spawn camping team has already have them trapped at their base. After all, they ended up spawn camped at their base fair and square.

Now if you were to have the whole other team spawn camping AND squidbagging, that would be some seriously bad sportsmanship in my opinion. They're already owning the battlefield and there's really no point in rubbing it in the other team's face like that.

I consider squidbagging in general bad sportsmanship, not just if the team is doing it while spawn camping. I understand if players do it to try to mess with their opponents and try to get the person to mainly target them, but I personally am not going to go out of my way to attempt to target one specific person. I'm not sure how well that tactic works, but either way it makes the player who does it look really bad. It even looks bad when you're squidbagging the squidbagger back after splatting them despite not being the first to do it. I'll occasionally squidbag back if I happen to splat the squidbagger who squidbagged me or a teammate, but that's it. I really don't do that often mainly because it is mildly distracting, even for a couple seconds. Spamming ZL should really only be done at squid parties.

Yeah, this was edited. My other response was a little rushed and I feel like this new wording does a better job explaining what I meant to explain the first time.
Yeah I do agree with you, spawn camping is a legitimate tactic and it's perfectly fair and only seems to happen when there's a very large skill gap between the two teams.

In my experience I've only been spawn camped about 8 times since I picked up the game.

Unless of course you count Port Mackerel (F*** that stage!!!) in which case it's probably 100+. Spawn camping happens about 80% of my games on Port Mackerel and it always feels like it is little more than a coin flip that determines who is camping who.

I still believe that spawn camping is legitimate even on Port Mackerel because I don't blame the player, I blame the designers for making it so easy to do on that dogsh*t stage. Seriously that stage needed renovations much more than Urchin Underpass did!!!

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
You can hate me all you want for this, but I see nothing wrong with spawn camping. I see no reason to have to give the other team any breathing room if they're being spawn camped. Is it a pain when you're on the not so fortunate team? Sure, but it doesn't make sense for them to back off so the other team can possibly make a comeback when the spawn camping team has already have them trapped at their base.
I don't urge everyone to back off and give the camped team some space, I just appreciate allies and enemies who do. Since I'm usually the only one who will back off and let my teammates go nuts on the other team, it's rare see someone else stay towards the middle and just wait the match out. I would rather have match that is more exciting with some risk than just an easy win due to usually, certain outside circumstances. Besides, comebacks from spawn camps are nearly impossible. Even when I make the match a 3v3, that only makes it a "fair" fight, but it doesn't change much.

After all, they ended up spawn camped at their base fair and square.
I can count the number times I've been spawned camped in a 4v4 match in Splatoon with my hands. However, the certain "outside circumstances" I referred to above, are DCs. I imagine this is where most spawn camping happens, and there is nothing fair and square about a 3v4. As someone who easily has been on the team with a DC way more than the full team in this scenario, I hate that I've had so many awful losses just rubbed in my face with people trying get cheap kills on me because someone on my team left. It ruins my good mood when playing this game, and it's worse when it happens multiple times in a session, or consecutively(which happens so often it's ridiculous). I can't be the only one who feels like this, so I abstain from doing it to opponents who get a DC too.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador

Often when I play brush, confrontation is met with a lot of discretion and indirectness.

I busy myself more with map control, match flow, teammate concern, being a beakon, tracking, scouting, distraction, path finding/making, and harassment. Along with a whimsy sense of adventure and willingness to trapeze about like Spider-Man. Sometimes, likewise with a carbon roller.

If I splat someone it's either unintentional, assisting a teammate, or ensuring circumstances favour me. So I guess in most respects, at least to most competitive or "serious" types, I'm playing the game wrong. Ha!

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
As someone who easily has been on the team with a DC way more than the full team in this scenario, I hate that I've had so many awful losses just rubbed in my face with people trying get cheap kills on me because someone on my team left. It ruins my good mood when playing this game, and it's worse when it happens multiple times in a session, or consecutively(which happens so often it's ridiculous).
I see no reason to go easy on them just because they're a team of three since it is still possible to win a 3 vs. 4 or not have it end up with the team of three getting spawn camped the whole time. If it's a 2 vs. 4 or a 1 vs. 4 everyone might as well squid party that round instead of trying. (Unless it's a solo ranked match. I'm not sure what to think about this. This would be a really cheap win, yet I know a lot of players are probably not going to want to lose points from going easy on the team with disconnects. I'm glad I've never had to deal with that the few times I've played ranked.) Having only one or two players on your team is in no way a fair match unless the other team also had a disconnect or two. In a case like this in turf was I can't believe people on the team of 4 still try as hard as they would if it was a 4 vs. 4. I've seen the team with disconnects just give up and squid party while the full team or at least one player from the full team is sitting there spawn camping them. Are you kidding me? That's no way to win and that's really bad sportsmanship.

Since I'm usually the only one who will back off and let my teammates go nuts on the other team, it's rare see someone else stay towards the middle and just wait the match out.
I'm usually that one person who will stay back a little a watch out for anyone trying to escape the spawn camping, because someone is going to eventually if all four teammates are staying right by the spawn.
Unless you meant just literally sitting there and doing nothing but watching the whole thing.

Last edited:

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
I see no reason to go easy on them just because they're a team of three since it is still possible to win a 3 vs. 4 or not have it end up with the team of three getting spawn camped the whole time. If it's a 2 vs. 4 or a 1 vs. 4 everyone might as well squid party that round instead of trying. (Unless it's a solo ranked match. I'm not sure what to think about this. This would be a really cheap win, yet I know a lot of players are probably not going to want to lose points from going easy on the team with disconnects. I'm glad I've never had to deal with that the few times I've played ranked.) Having only one or two players on your team is in no way a fair match unless the other team also had a disconnect or two. In a case like this in turf was I can't believe people on the team of 4 still try as hard as they would if it was a 4 vs. 4. I've seen the team with disconnects just give up and squid party while the full team or at least one player from the full team is sitting there spawn camping them. Are you kidding me? That's no way to win and that's really bad sportsmanship.

I'm usually that one person who will stay back a little a watch out for anyone trying to escape the spawn camping, because someone is going to eventually if all four teammates are staying right by the spawn.
Unless you meant just literally sitting there and doing nothing but watching the whole thing.
It's also worth mentioning that if you have less members than the opposing team your special meter charges faster. (It gets pretty crazy when you stack it with Tenacity) But yeah while 3v4 is very doable, 2v4 or 1v4 is pretty much gg before it even begins.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
In that scenario, I just start inking every little bit of turf to keep myself occupied, and wait the match out, usually looking down at my map to see if our base needs some coverage. I guess it's soothing to be able to cover every bit of turf in our base and the middle in those scenarios. But still not nearly as fun as a real battle. :oops:

Squididly

Full Squid
NNID
Squididly
brushes are so hard to play, and we're really easily ambushed, honestly. but in any case, if you find you have one of those complexes, you should try getting the hang of the weapon yourself! you'll find out exactly what our strengths and weaknesses are, and you can use it against us. i did this with lunas, they used to be the bane of my existence until i started playing with one a bit. kind of a "to beat them you have to BE them" concept ;>
I have to restart anyhow, so I think I might challenge myself to get acquainted with weapon types I struggle with (i.e. brushes and snipers) while I rise through the ranks again.
Thanks for the tip.

Squididly

Full Squid
NNID
Squididly
Often when I play brush, confrontation is met with a lot of discretion and indirectness.

I busy myself more with map control, match flow, teammate concern, being a beakon, tracking, scouting, distraction, path finding/making, and harassment. Along with a whimsy sense of adventure and willingness to trapeze about like Spider-Man. Sometimes, likewise with a carbon roller.

If I splat someone it's either unintentional, assisting a teammate, or ensuring circumstances favour me. So I guess in most respects, at least to most competitive or "serious" types, I'm playing the game wrong. Ha!
I respect your Brush game. There's no wrong way to play if you're having fun!

Unless you're exploiting game-breaking glitches that make no one have fun BUT you.Those are dirty, dirty squids.

Xehias

Pro Squid
NNID
Xehias
Booyah teams are great—even if we lose I can feel like we had fun. I always drop a Nice when I see a teammate get a kill, avenge me, or defend my superjump spot (always booyah when you land safely from a superjump!). I especially love it when I’m playing a charger and there’s another charger on my team, and we booyah every time the other snipes someone. If you do these things, I’m very glad to have you on my team, regardless of whether you play "well" or not.

As for what constitutes as a bad teammate, I’d say squidbaggers are about it. Oh, and players who are off to who knows where while the enemy is pushing the objective. Both of these are pretty rare, thankfully!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom