• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

3DS 2016 Line Up List Leaked

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
*sees no Advance Wars on the list*

*leaves the topic dejected*

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
*sees no Advance Wars on the list*

*leaves the topic dejected*
The unannounced game are code names so it's not like we can expect actual titles from this leak.

Still it's kind of obvious that Intelligent Systems just wants to focus more on Fire Emblem.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
There is also one unannounced game coming to the Nintendo Wii U.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ho-hum, sounds like Direct material to me.

I'm most curious about that Nintendo Selects and N-Stars stuff. The former sounds like either a new amiibo line or a games compilation. The latter sounds more like a Skylanders sort of thing, which would be amazing if they can pull it off.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin

But seriously though, what is this crap? The 3DS is looking like crap in it's line up. NOTHING looked the slightest bit appealing. Then again, Nintendo is making their sales on the handheld. The Wii U is being abandoned for the new NX system. Way to go Nintendo. Way to make the Wii U look even more like a piece of crap. I'll be looking forward to the PS5 in the year 2020 than the new NX system. Nintendo can seriously piss off.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee

But seriously though, what is this crap? The 3DS is looking like crap in it's line up. NOTHING looked the slightest bit appealing. Then again, Nintendo is making their sales on the handheld. The Wii U is being abandoned for the new NX system. Way to go Nintendo. Way to make the Wii U look even more like a piece of crap. I'll be looking forward to the PS5 in the year 2020 than the new NX system. Nintendo can seriously piss off.
To be fair, Nintendo is shifting its focus from BOTH the Wii U and 3DS to the NX. Both are on their way out, and 3DS has build a strong and complete-feeling library over the past 5 years. I dont think there's much else that the system COULD offer us, that the NX won't offer us a better version of in a year or so.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
7 in the morning? That's a tall order for a 5 minute video.

And for that matter, only 5 minutes? Sounds like barely enough time for two games. I'm thinking it'll have to do with Pokkén at least, and maybe this Pokémon Rainbow thing if it's legit.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
To be fair, Nintendo is shifting its focus from BOTH the Wii U and 3DS to the NX. Both are on their way out, and 3DS has build a strong and complete-feeling library over the past 5 years. I dont think there's much else that the system COULD offer us, that the NX won't offer us a better version of in a year or so.
I call BS on this. The 3DS is going to remain strong long into the days of the official NX release. The issue is that the Wii U didn't get enough attention and love towards it with games and content. It's been mostly directed at the 3DS. Not to mention all the shameless cash grabs with the whole Amiibo thing. While I'll openly admit to buying some of the Amiibos, I'm not sucked into them as much as everyone else seems to be. The NX is Nintendo's last chance to do things right and if they don't, then they will be doing more than pissing off their fanbase. The backlash will be emense to the point that it could do some serious damage to Nintendo, not enough to go bankrupt with the 3DS still going strong, but enough so that they will need to rethink their position in the gaming world. It goes without saying that they are pushing to release the NX rather soon compared to any console in the past, which is already dooming it.

We already have seen a company fizzle out of existence for doing a numerous things including being a jerk to the father of the Metal Gear series. I think you should know which company I mean. Yeah, they now do strictly mobile crap.

Last edited:

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I... don't quite follow. What is it that Nintendo's supposed to do right? Cater to 3rd-parties? Give the NX next-gen hardware? Make a new Metroid/F-Zero/Paper Mario? Kill the NSMB series? And how is not doing any of the above going to turn Nintendo into the next Konami/SEGA?

I realize this sounds kinda trolly, but bear with me a bit. "Do things right" is a bit vague to me, because I can see that having different meanings for different people. And I mean, somebody's going to be pissed off either way. You can't please everybody, after all. But it doesn't seem to me like they're actively trying to antagonize their fans.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I call BS on this. The 3DS is going to remain strong long into the days of the official NX release. The issue is that the Wii U didn't get enough attention and love towards it with games and content. It's been mostly directed at the 3DS. Not to mention all the shameless cash grabs with the whole Amiibo thing. While I'll openly admit to buying some of the Amiibos, I'm not sucked into them as much as everyone else seems to be. The NX is Nintendo's last chance to do things right and if they don't, then they will be doing more than pissing off their fanbase. The backlash will be emense to the point that it could do some serious damage to Nintendo, not enough to go bankrupt with the 3DS still going strong, but enough so that they will need to rethink their position in the gaming world. It goes without saying that they are pushing to release the NX rather soon compared to any console in the past, which is already dooming it.

We already have seen a company fizzle out of existence for doing a numerous things including being a jerk to the father of the Metal Gear series. I think you should know which company I mean. Yeah, they now do strictly mobile crap.
I'm just going to copy this @Award -winning speculation/analysis (see what i did there) from this other thread:

Disclaimer: Opinion.

I mentioned in another thread, I don't think the Wii U was EVER meant to be a huge success. I think it was a stopgap and Iwata estimating huge sales numbers in the beginning was either him being completely clueless (since this is Iwata we're talking about, I highly doubt that) or him playing investors like a fiddle (which is very Iwata.) If the rumors of NX as a hybrid are true, that's in line with what I expected.

Handheld has been Nintendo's strength for a long time, to the point that during the Wii years, most of the "real games" were on the DS, not the Wii. It's no secret that maintaining two platforms, especially in the 3DS/WiiU era has been painful for them, and it's not something they ever really wanted to have to do, it's just that tech limited them to need to keep the hardware seperate. That era of tech is coming to a close - there's no reason a console needs to be separate from a handheld in the era of phones, tablets, AppleTV's.

The nature of the Wii U being sort of a handheld system that's also a console (but not really) always seemed to me they were nudging toward. From the moment "Cafe" was rumored that's what it seemed like. I love handheld gaming and love the offscreen features so it always seemed logical but incomplete. And then as soon as WiiU launched Iwata discussed the plans for unifying the handheld and console hardware divisions, building a new HQ to house it all. The merging of all the software units that was rushed through as an emergency action upon his death was not something they could conjure overnight - that was his own plan in the works but wasn't technically supposed to happen yet. The moment WIiU launched everything in Nintendo started moving toward unified hardware.

At his last investors meeting Iwata answered a question about NX (after saying he wouldn't answer questions about NX :D) he commented that he was aware of the difference in how Japan and the West have different play preferences (mobile vs. home console) and they are always trying to figure out how to cater to both with NX. Most signs seem to point to a 1-2 piece hardware that is both portable and TV based with a unified software lineup.

What that means if true is that WiiU was, internally, always intended to last through the HANDHELD cycle, not the console cycle, as a hybrid would have to replace 3DS first as it's naturally at the end of it's console cycle. Meaning this is exactly when it was intended to remain current.
But they'll continue supporting it with software right after release (they still sold Wii for a year or two after Wii U as well. And Pokemon B&W release on DS only after 3DS released.)

Speculation on NX being its own thing, but as it relates to WiiU, my opinion is WiiU was a test project and a holdover to give Nintendo a relevant HD platform while waiting for 3DS's sun to set to release the unified new platform that replaces them both, ending software droughts due to supporting one instead of two platforms. It's also possible WiiU software runs on a handheld battery powered NX. That means Splatoon in the park! NGYES/WOOMY!! WiiU seemed questionably powerful to a lot of console fans, but if WiiU was a precursor for a battery powered WiiU that fits in a pocket, that would be darned impressive.

I'm sure NX will be somewhat different than I'm expecting, but I have little doubt that the unified hardware - one platform for handheld/console will be true (though you probably have to buy both halves separately, because this is Nintendo.)

Also, if all that is true, releasing NX this year doesn't make sense, but I can't see them waiting either. All signs seem to point to it even though it's too soon. If it's two parts it might make sense the handheld part releases this year (replace the aging 3DS) and release the home part the following year. Or the other way around, replace the ailing Wii U this year, and keep 3DS momentum until the following year. Early games could possibly be dual release for both as many suspect Zelda U will be.

In any case it's a weird generational jump with timing because ultimately if all that is true, they're merging what was two platforms and two customer bases into one for the first time since 1989.

All that said, I love the Wii U & 3DS and will be exceedingly sad to see them go. Wii U only got into its groove recently, but 3DS may have replaced SNES as my favorite console of all time. It wasn't a great era to be a Nintendo investor, but it's been a great time to be a Nintendo gamer! And also, we have all those fond Iwata memories from the E3's and directs of the 3DS/WiiU era. :(
I pretty much agree with what he said, and for my part, I can't grasp how people think Nintendo is on the brink of failure either financially or in quality. It's not as though Wii U sucks as a console. And it's not as though they didn't reel in the biggest profits in gaming history with their last few consoles (Wii, DS, arguably 3DS). Are there things I would like Nintendo to do? Sure, but I think Nintendo has delivered, these past few years, as steady a number of high quality (even classic) games as ever. Let's all just calm down ok?

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
OK, so, we are getting new Pokémon games this year, but they're called Sun & Moon rather than Rainbow.

Assuming the latter wasn't a codename for the former, that casts some doubt on this list.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
I'm just going to copy this @Award -winning speculation/analysis (see what i did there) from this other thread:

I pretty much agree with what he said, and for my part, I can't grasp how people think Nintendo is on the brink of failure either financially or in quality. It's not as though Wii U sucks as a console. And it's not as though they didn't reel in the biggest profits in gaming history with their last few consoles (Wii, DS, arguably 3DS). Are there things I would like Nintendo to do? Sure, but I think Nintendo has delivered, these past few years, as steady a number of high quality (even classic) games as ever. Let's all just calm down ok?
Eh, fair enough. Though I do stand my ground on how BS the Amiibo cash grab stuff is. I actually do hope something does come out the NX that's better than Wii U, it's just my hopes are not too high with it right now. As it stands now, it looks more like the Wii U 2.0. It's just worrying me is all. There are a fair few titles for the Wii U, but sadly not enough to keep it afloat. If I was hating on the Wii U in the fullest, I wouldn't be on here... honestly... I wouldn't be playing Splatoon or Super Mario Maker even. That's a sobering thought... *shivers*

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Is anyone else just completely thrilled that Ishihara did the"DIRECT" hand gesture? He's the first to do it after Iwata, and I thought they'd abandoned it. I don't know if it was Nintendo's idea, or if he insisted (and carries the clout to insist) on reinstating it as a personal tribute? Somehow with that one gesture the energy returned to Directs! Even if it was only 5 minutes. ;)

The unannounced game are code names so it's not like we can expect actual titles from this leak.

Still it's kind of obvious that Intelligent Systems just wants to focus more on Fire Emblem.
I.S. isn't just focused on FE, though I think they're probably thrilled that their previously niche staple project actually still exists, and is growing tremendously, and are probably pretty enthusiastic about that fact that they still CAN work on that series that's closest to them after the last game was nearly their last one. Hard to blame them for putting so much energy into it.

But don't forget instead of Advance Wars they also made that excellent, if flawed (and a commercial flop) Code Name S.T.E.A.M. It was a big effort in a new IP that actually was pretty neat in a retro sort of way. It's a shame they don't get the credit they deserve for it.

They also help out on other games (I think I recall seeing their name in the "Special Thanks" in Splatoon for instance, so they had key roles in 2 new IP projects. It probably also explains the infuriating "weapon triangle" of gal->charger->roller :)

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Eh, fair enough. Though I do stand my ground on how BS the Amiibo cash grab stuff is. I actually do hope something does come out the NX that's better than Wii U, it's just my hopes are not too high with it right now. As it stands now, it looks more like the Wii U 2.0. It's just worrying me is all. There are a fair few titles for the Wii U, but sadly not enough to keep it afloat. If I was hating on the Wii U in the fullest, I wouldn't be on here... honestly... I wouldn't be playing Splatoon or Super Mario Maker even. That's a sobering thought... *shivers*
Yeah, I think we can all at least agree that Wii U has a few gems that have given us a lot of fun and joy :D (I've probably logged more hours on splatoon than any other game in my life..)

I can understand viewing Amiibo as a cheap cash grab, but I think I would enjoy the concept of having figurines of my favorite Nintendo characters even if they had no IC chip. They're affordable and cute to look at. I don't own a ton of them (and don't go out of my way to hunt them down like the serious collectors), but I like -that they exist! I can see 8-year-old me begging my mom for new amiibos for my birthday/christmas/any day of the year. Parents must have it rough.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Yeah, I think we can all at least agree that Wii U has a few gems that have given us a lot of fun and joy :D (I've probably logged more hours on splatoon than any other game in my life..)

I can understand viewing Amiibo as a cheap cash grab, but I think I would enjoy the concept of having figurines of my favorite Nintendo characters even if they had no IC chip. They're affordable and cute to look at. I don't own a ton of them (and don't go out of my way to hunt them down like the serious collectors), but I like -that they exist! I can see 8-year-old me begging my mom for new amiibos for my birthday/christmas/any day of the year. Parents must have it rough.
I personally don't even understand the success of Amiibo. It's great that it's funding Nintendo, but I dislike that they've placed so much attention on it and Kimishima seems to have a scary focus on incorporating them into play (I.E. monetizing them as physical DLC) which I'm not sure Iwata shared, and I KNOW Miyamoto does not. However, Ultimately the fact that they're so pouplar is what actually baffles me. When they released it it was a Skylanders Me-Too product. I imagined it would flop. I suspect, like the Wii's success, it will have an end to its faddish popularity.

However I also agree with you. I'm not a collector, but there's a few that I have bought (after swearing them off) that I would have bought just as figurines or collectors editions/pre-order swag with no IC chip. 30th anniversary Mario. I still have my NES and SMB/Duck Hunt Cartridge and Zapper (N-Zap '89 FTW!) which defined my childhood - how could I not? Yarn Yoshi. I've collected Yoshi plushies before. This one is yarn. It's the cutest thing ever to be made on this planet. Mega yarn Yoshi. Had to import that one because apparently they're available everywhere in Japan and here they were Toys R' Us exclusive near Black Friday. It's everything Yarn Yoshi is but bigger and cuddlier. No price is too high. It's not an Amiibo, it's a plushie, IMO. And the Splatoon Trio. That's the one I have salt for...that was a DLC cashgrab.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
I personally don't even understand the success of Amiibo. It's great that it's funding Nintendo, but I dislike that they've placed so much attention on it and Kimishima seems to have a scary focus on incorporating them into play (I.E. monetizing them as physical DLC) which I'm not sure Iwata shared, and I KNOW Miyamoto does not. However, Ultimately the fact that they're so pouplar is what actually baffles me. When they released it it was a Skylanders Me-Too product. I imagined it would flop. I suspect, like the Wii's success, it will have an end to its faddish popularity.
I'll agree with the Amiibo's success being rather odd. Though I guess all the hype they had built up enough that many people wanted them. Some wanted them to the point of scalping them. *cough* The Roselina Amiibo incedent *cough* But due to it's popularity, it's destroyed sales for Skylanders and Disney Infinity alike. Hardly anyone buys those brands anymore due to the smash popularity of the Amiibos. The popularity will end eventually, just not for a while yet. It's still rather hot in the supply and demand market. Heck, the new LOZ Twilight Princess HD remake is going to have a Wolf Link and Midna Amiibo, along with the official hard copy of the soundtrack if you pre-order the game.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Maybe I just wasn't paying attention, but I don't really recall that much hype for the amiibos prior to their release.
Me, well... I'll admit, I'm the unlucky sod who fell for a scalper at the swap meet. (And learned that I could've gotten a better deal on eBay afterward.) So I can't say that I don't like them that much. I'm just lazy when it comes to actually using them.
I'm not so sure their popularity is a bad thing, though? Or is it the execution that y'all take issue with?

OK, so, we are getting new Pokémon games this year, but they're called Sun & Moon rather than Rainbow.

Assuming the latter wasn't a codename for the former, that casts some doubt on this list.
So... I've been hearing that the codename for Sun & Moon was indeed Niji. But I can't figure out if they got that from this list or if the Niji codename was leaked elsewhere, separately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom