• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

5 Reasons why the Splat Roller is NOT overpowered!

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
The roller is what the crew at Extra Credits would call a First Order Optimum Strategy, or FOO Strategy. Common examples in gaming history include things like E. Honda's hundred-hand slap in Street Fighter, or the Noob Tube in Call of Duty--strategies that provide a lot of power for the skill required to use them, but which are far from the most powerful strategies in the game.

FOO Strategies typically serve as introductory measures for new players. They provide a lot of power for little skill that someone new to the game can join in and have an effective way to compete, instead of being entirely dominated by more experienced players who are already familiar with more effective strategies. After all, even the best Splatoon players in the world will, on occasion, get surprised from behind by a newb with a roller, just like seasoned CoD veterans occasionally eat a shot from a Noob Tube and fall pray to a rookie.

Those of us who played several sessions of the testfire are already aware of the Roller's shortcomings--it's basically harmless if you see it coming, as landing a single shot bogs them down in your ink and then you just finish them off before they can even hope to recover. A roller is only dangerous when you don't see it coming. But the fact that sometimes you just won't see it means it'll be a way for inexperienced players to not feel completely outmatched by cooler inklings.

I think the roller will still have a place in high-level play, as the ground it covers is immense, and some of the more specialized rollers seem to have some interesting effects, but it's most definitely not the instant-win OP weapon a lot of people think it is.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I still think it is silly to judge weapon viability two weeks before the release. The roller might eventually be the best, the worst or just an average weapon.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
The major probem with rollers is that if your team has none, you will be forced to constantly attack all of them to keep them away from your own turf.
So while you have the upper hand against rollers, they can literally steamroll or paintroll in this case, over territory that is not guarded properly and suddenly have them roll over your team from behind or from areas you didn't expect them to show up, having one of the sensor sub-weapon or the special sensor one, i forgot the names already... bleh, is recommended to keep an eye on them from what i have read and seen.
All of the ranged weapon can easily handle any roller if your aim is proper.

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
After seeing more Weapons, the Roller doesn't seem OP at all

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Absolutely agree. Rollers have very apparent weaknesses. They are a very good melee weapon but still have no range beyond that. Also, the have difficulty spreading paint up walls meaning if you can get them into a corner with a ranged weapon they have 'imoted escape options and risk being gunned down if they directly assault you.

Colgate

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
Roller is amazing at what it does, but it also has inherent weaknesses that can be exploited.
It's the best for sneak attacks since it's a OHKO, and it' great for covering ground fast and steady, rather than having patches uncovered from splattershots
But at the same time, there are some blatant weaknesses, like its lack of range, and that it serves no purpose for actual combat unless the oppnent is incompetent.

Lenrap

Inkling
People that are having trouble with rollers should simply get to high ground. While this is harder to do on some maps, it completely destroys any way of a roller attacking.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
People that are having trouble with rollers should simply get to high ground. While this is harder to do on some maps, it completely destroys any way of a roller attacking.
Actually, while roller definitely has weaknesses, sometimes even high ground isn't safe. I chased someone up a wall at the Underpass and waited for him to shoot a teammate, only to jump up through the grate and crush him, with a free flank into his base. Roller definitely has weaknesses, but all that paint to work with, it's OHKO and it's splat means you need to kill rollers on sight. Especially since they can easily sneak up on groups and get a free pass to take your base solo.

At the same time, it's all too easy to jump over and outmaneuver the roller... you can even get under it's splat arc and fire back if you're quick about it.

Grasp

Inkster Jr.
The roller is to Splatoon what shotguns are to most FPS'. Problem is, many weapons seem to operate best roughly within roller range, maybe just outside it but it's hard to gauge. The Splattershot Jr. only really has a chance either getting the jump at near point blank or activating their bubble. Splattershot gets a little more effective range due to accuracy, but it's still scary. Generally, my roller splats are due to having elevation or attacking from their flank. In a head on, it's pretty hit or miss. Depends on my own aim and how their paint flings, because y'know... it's a shotgun.

Actilide

Inkling Cadet
The roller is to Splatoon what shotguns are to most FPS'. Problem is, many weapons seem to operate best roughly within roller range, maybe just outside it but it's hard to gauge. The Splattershot Jr. only really has a chance either getting the jump at near point blank or activating their bubble. Splattershot gets a little more effective range due to accuracy, but it's still scary. Generally, my roller splats are due to having elevation or attacking from their flank. In a head on, it's pretty hit or miss. Depends on my own aim and how their paint flings, because y'know... it's a shotgun.
Good comparison.

warriorman222

Inkling
Can we agree that the Roller is basically the Little Mac of Splatoon?

They are both noob killers. They are both complete destroyed by one insanely simple strategy. Dittos are gonna be either stupid or excruciating. They were the first thing to be called OP. Easy to learn, difficult to master, close range and useless at far range.

All we need to do is wait for Nintendo to nerf the Splat Roller by reducing its range further, and it'll have got nerfs on the caliber of Little Mac.

lol

TheBuzzSaw

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheBuzzSaw
You know, I used to ignore stuff like this, but considering Nintendo has a reputation of patching stuff based on hurt feelings, I need to make my voice heard: THE ROLLER IS NOT OP. If people keep complaining about it, it's going to receive a Little Mac nerf and become even worse.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
If people keep complaining about it, it's going to receive a Little Mac nerf and become even worse.
I don't think that's going to be a problem. A lot of time seems to have went towards balancing this game (although I keep hearing "Aerospray", so maybe that's alarming) and I'm sure the devs know that the rollers aren't broken at all. Same with how chargers aren't under powered, they just require a different mindset and a bit more finesse. The roller is basically a shotgun/melee combo with obvious weaknesses (range and maneuverability). Whoever's complaining about it at this point couldn't really "nerf" anything more than that without being ridiculous.

TheBuzzSaw

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheBuzzSaw
I don't think that's going to be a problem. A lot of time seems to have went towards balancing this game (although I keep hearing "Aerospray", so maybe that's alarming) and I'm sure the devs know that the rollers aren't broken at all. Same with how chargers aren't under powered, they just require a different mindset and a bit more finesse. The roller is basically a shotgun/melee combo with obvious weaknesses (range and maneuverability). Whoever's complaining about it at this point couldn't really "nerf" anything more than that without being ridiculous.
I really hope you're right. I'm just super nervous. Nintendo will hear the outcry of all the insta-death from "OP rollers" and do something awful (like decrease squid run speed while rolling).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom