• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

5 Reasons why the Splat Roller is NOT overpowered!

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
I think the age of roller is over, most everyone is using a splattershot or it's variant in turf wars now since you can generally beat a rolle simply by backpedaling.

That being said, its unmatched when it comes to sneak kills, it's ironic that such a large weapon has to sneak around but that's what it's best at

Siambretta

Inkling
NNID
Merkoth
Is this really a thing? I mean, by the end of the second testfire session I thought it was pretty clear that the Roller wasn't really OP, it was just people playing poorly and crying OP.

As others have said, it's extremely limited on vertical-centric maps if you don't have a very good supporter taking care of making paths and can usually be countered just by... er... not falling into tunnel vision.

Last edited:

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I think most people don't know that the basic roller probably wasn't designed to be used offensively or at least not head-on. Yes, the hitbox it has can instantly KO opponents but its range is too limited to actually kill opponents, or at least smart opponents. It's best used to simply cover ground while your team charges ahead. That said though, smart roller users will take every opportunity they see for a kill on oblivious opponents. Besides, as what @Pivi says, most people use splattershots now or at least from what I have experienced so far. I doubt it will ever get nerfed from the outcries of ignorant people but still its an unhealthy attitude to adopt.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
It definetely is not OP. It's easy to kite (at least the basic one) as it is melee-range.

Kalificus

Inkling
NNID
Kalificus
Roller is the Diddy of splatoon. Very pick-up-and-pwn-noobs vibe from that weapon. That said, the skill cap is good. Players with good positioning can really wipe an enemy's backliners.

warriorman222

Inkling
Well, whenever the Splatbrush comes, people will be complaining even more again. It's basically the killing version of the roller, covering less area in paint but going stupidly fast(And probably still OHKOing).

Siambretta

Inkling
NNID
Merkoth
Well, whenever the Splatbrush comes, people will be complaining even more again. It's basically the killing version of the roller, covering less area in paint but going stupidly fast(And probably still OHKOing).
It also seems to have a nice movement to paint vertical surfaces, which is IMO the main drawback of the Roller :)

Grasp

Inkster Jr.
If I had to place a nerf on the roller after some experience with it, it would be reducing the fling attacks effective range or lengthening the wind up. The rolling motion is more than fair, but that fling attack can decimate a target at a fair distance effortlessly. Sorry, but compared to the splattershot and splattershot jr, I feel like I'm using an easy-to-use version of either. The default roller's sub and special are no slouches either.

WiiDude83

Inkling
It might have been like this in the demo, but in the actual game, they don't seem that great, especially when a player has the bubbler on as their special. a roller can do nothing but run at that point. Not to mention they struggle with areas high up

Grasp

Inkster Jr.
It might have been like this in the demo, but in the actual game, they don't seem that great, especially when a player has the bubbler on as their special. a roller can do nothing but run at that point. Not to mention they struggle with areas high up
To be fair, any weapon would be forced to turn tail and run when their target activates bubbler.

Except those with Krak-on, but then, eating a Krak-on just to beat a bubble is a poor use of the Krak-on. It's better for smashing through enemy lines.

L176

Inkling
NNID
Latu176
Rollers seemed to dominate the game early on, but when Aerosprays became more popular and people actually started moving around the map the rollers seem to have vanished from the top ranks...

TheBuzzSaw

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheBuzzSaw
To be fair, any weapon would be forced to turn tail and run when their target activates bubbler.

Except those with Krak-on, but then, eating a Krak-on just to beat a bubble is a poor use of the Krak-on. It's better for smashing through enemy lines.
I actually just had a match on Rig. I went rolling toward someone, and he activated his bubble. I started attacking anyway and ended up shoving him off the cliff to his death. XD

fishiecracker

Inkling
NNID
fishiecracker
My struggle today was dealing with Rollers who's fling range was longer than the range of my Zapper >.>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom