A+ Ranked Strategy: Video Mini-Series (~1h 30min)

NNID
Tina
What rollers do you all use? I use the dynamo in A and I think they're not very hard. E-liters on the other hand make me want to leave the group. If my team doesn't have enough ink on the field I feel like I can't do anything because the e-liter makes it so I can't spread ink in order to approach then.

superman

Senior Squid
Thanks for the series, I enjoyed it quite a bit :)

One thing I'd like to add though is that you probably wouldn't have to play on the internet when 8 Wii Us are on the same LAN because I doubt the games run on nintendo servers but actually on user Wii Us.

That would mean that since Nintendo's machtmaking server will give each client the host's public IP address the Wii Us on the same LAN will send their information to their default gateway (router) instead of directly to the other Wii Us. The router would then kind of send the information to itself because it's sending stuff to it's own public IP address, resulting in only a tiny (maybe immeasurable) amount of additional lag than a tradional LAN setup.

tl:dr - as long as Nintendo adds a spectator mode we're good to go for live "esports" events

Erico9001

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Erico9001
What rollers do you all use? I use the dynamo in A and I think they're not very hard. E-liters on the other hand make me want to leave the group. If my team doesn't have enough ink on the field I feel like I can't do anything because the e-liter makes it so I can't spread ink in order to approach then.
Dynamo roller is less affected by blasters because it has much more range and therefore a different strategy from the other ones.

Most good non-dynamo rollers... we like to hide and surprise. As rollers, we always need some way to get close so that our ink flings can hit them. However, blasters are immune to many of our strategies and tactics. It's pretty frustrating. We can only really take out a competent blaster by coming in from above or behind. If they see us, we cannot hide, only run. If they have good aim, they kill us up close too with a 1 hit KO move. It is possible to kill a blaster, but you need to place a lot more effort than with any other weapon, and it's much less likely you will actually get the kill.

On the topic of rollers, they seem good in tower control.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
Dynamo roller is less affected by blasters because it has much more range and therefore a different strategy from the other ones.
While this is true, I feel like trading with luna blasters because they're kinda too close or got closer and just barely got the second hit in right as I flick them into oblivion is way too common. I should probably just distance myself more though. Normal blasters can occasionally hit a dynamo off guard with a point blank shot, I don't think this is a common issue though.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
I use carbon roller and rarely die to blasters if I'm not out of position. It's farely easy to dodge their shots close range. However being out of position against a blaster is basically instant death. I trade against the gals and splattershot much more often then I do with blasters.

Good stuff flc (y)

Power

Inkling Commander
Great video series. Learned a couple of neat strats. Many points I agreed with. Now we just gotta see how the meta shapes up down the road.

I don't mean to be demanding, but will there be any follow up series for tower or other stuff?

Erico9001

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Erico9001
I use carbon roller and rarely die to blasters if I'm not out of position. It's farely easy to dodge their shots close range. However being out of position against a blaster is basically instant death. I trade against the gals and splattershot much more often then I do with blasters.

Good stuff flc (y)
I've actually picked up blasters recently, and this is totally true. Now that I have the perspective of both a blaster and a roller, I can very clearly say you're best off in close range, especially from a slight angle. Up close, our only chance is to get a precise point blank shot with our bombs to one hit you, but it's hard and nearly impossible if you come in from an angle. Carbon rollers and dynamo rollers both seem equipped to deal with them - dynamo = outrange, carbon = out-maneuver. Regular rollers just don't have enough mobility nor range, unfortunately...

The Luna Blaster and Regular Rollers actually share a lot of strategies, though. I only picked up the Luna Blaster yesterday for Splatfest, and I learned VERY fast. Can't wait to take the blaster into ranked mode, now.

deepseadiva

Full Squid
Excellent series; I watched the whole thing! You've won a subscriber.

Love to hear more after all the patches, the new weapons, and the new game modes.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
This was a very informative series, and some of the things you mentioned helped me finally break out of A-, which was a very annoying rank for me. I hope you do some more videos like these in the future, maybe on gear abilities?

Oatsy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaOtmel
blasters are the bane of rollers.
Funny enough. As a blaster main, rollers are usually the bain of my existence. (I usually sneak up right next to people for direct hits with no risk of reaction time, but a roller somehow seems to always turn around or just be hiding around the corner. Other than that, f**k the dynamo >_>)

(Yes flc, it is I, that annoying Oatmeal guy.)

Erico9001

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Erico9001
First of all, most A+ people I find are rather average in skill. You can't sway me by just tossing that around.

'super jumping is a bad idea' - really? Super jumping is actually a great thing. Firstly, if you have recon, you will know exactly what's going on, and can super jump safely all the time. If you do not have recon, you can pay attention to ally positions and new ink splatter on the map while you're respawning. You can also look at how many of them are dead.

° Moteki

¤MÆL°
NNID
Shoctopus
really surprised how video 4 o super jumping completely changed my game. You'd think it wouldn't be something all that game changing but it actually improved my game play quite a lot - and for that I thank you, flc.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
First of all, most A+ people I find are rather average in skill. You can't sway me by just tossing that around.

'super jumping is a bad idea' - really? Super jumping is actually a great thing. Firstly, if you have recon, you will know exactly what's going on, and can super jump safely all the time. If you do not have recon, you can pay attention to ally positions and new ink splatter on the map while you're respawning. You can also look at how many of them are dead.
I agree here. Super jumping may gfive you're position away but the other players actually have to notice it. Besides, if there is a person on a perch (probably with a charger) then they are a safe way to get to the action faster. And if there are multiple routes backtrack slightly and go that direction. You're jump might be fixed after you touch someone on the gamepad but that is all that is fixed.

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
I watched all the videos, nice job! I have to agree, you made those right before Tower Control mode came out and so the strategy of which abilities and weapons work best have really flipped around.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
I agree here. Super jumping may gfive you're position away but the other players actually have to notice it. Besides, if there is a person on a perch (probably with a charger) then they are a safe way to get to the action faster. And if there are multiple routes backtrack slightly and go that direction. You're jump might be fixed after you touch someone on the gamepad but that is all that is fixed.
I think you guys are missing the point. If your team has absolute map control and you can jump to a teammate that's pulled back a bit, of course you're going to jump. But, if your team is getting hammered and your bud is getting shot at by 3 people, jumping is a terrible idea and thinking you will survive is crazy.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I think you guys are missing the point. If your team has absolute map control and you can jump to a teammate that's pulled back a bit, of course you're going to jump. But, if your team is getting hammered and your bud is getting shot at by 3 people, jumping is a terrible idea and thinking you will survive is crazy.
Well yeah I know that. When he said "never super jump" I had problems with that statement. Obviously you shouldn't be super jumping into unsafe positions.

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
(watched videos 6 and up)
I strongly disagree that scoped weapons are "just better" Scoped weapons get slowed down when charging and have a limited view that non-scopes don't have to deal with, the trade off with range really isn't worth it. Scoping a weapon essentially makes it far more defensive than it needs to be, and splatoon is certainly a game that requires everyone to move effectively. Scoped weapons are certainly for a type of play-style, but they just don't "outright" outclass their non-scoped versions./.

super jumping is generally a bad idea, the time you are super jumping is time that you could be covering ground or making a new path or approach. Generally in the video he covers that it's far more optional than people give credit for. If you only already have your bases/path covered and the mid point is controlled, ya super jumping can work, but generally you want to always ink something and gain more for your special.

Erico9001

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Erico9001
(watched videos 6 and up)
I strongly disagree that scoped weapons are "just better" Scoped weapons get slowed down when charging and have a limited view that non-scopes don't have to deal with, the trade off with range really isn't worth it. Scoping a weapon essentially makes it far more defensive than it needs to be, and splatoon is certainly a game that requires everyone to move effectively. Scoped weapons are certainly for a type of play-style, but they just don't "outright" outclass their non-scoped versions./.

super jumping is generally a bad idea, the time you are super jumping is time that you could be covering ground or making a new path or approach. Generally in the video he covers that it's far more optional than people give credit for. If you only already have your bases/path covered and the mid point is controlled, ya super jumping can work, but generally you want to always ink something and gain more for your special.
Generally, inking little spots on the way back to the front lines is what I see people doing, and I let them do that. They probably need their specials more than I do. I usually have the killer wail as my special, which is ok, but not game changing (ehh I avoid tower control). My kills usually come from my roller and sometimes my suction bombs. By super jumping, I get to the front lines much quicker. That is where I am needed, after all. It also places me near an ally, which almost guarantees cooperation between us. I do have a quick super jump main ability.

That's not the only use to super jumping. It can also be used when you are in a tight situation and know your death is incoming. Cornered by foes? Kraken coming to get you? Super Jump! The faster your super jump, the more of an option this is. It's not at all an option for people with stealth jump, though :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom