• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

A Weapon you play and Why it needs Buffing

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
If you do not know, I play the blasters of this game. Preferably the ones that one shot opponents. With the range blaster being my most used weapon for the past month.

I hear you right now. "Range blaster, u wot? Range Blaster doesn't need a buff, that weapon is super cheap, git gud and learn how to use the goo tuber". And guess what, you're somewhat right. But there is this one thing that every blaster got in splatoon 2 that is complete and utter bs towards every player who put muscle memory into the game. And that's the rng whenever you jump.

If you ask a long time blaster main what's awful about splatoon 2, they will mention this. I'm mentioning this because I put this in my mind for months, and then they changed it with no reason to it. Now you could just be an ignorant idiot and tell me "Just don't jump". I cannot believe the amount of people who have told me this "tip" who have never picked up a blaster.

Seriously, if you ever told that to a blaster main, apologize right now.

Why is it something ignorant to say? Because every blaster player must jump around or "bunny hop" to avoid being punished because you were on the ground and you move slower than the dev team on this upcoming patch 1.5/2.0 Which is why any decent blaster main will jump at you if they're going for the standard 2 shot kill.

Why is this problematic then? It's because it makes your carefully crafted aim look like a cranky 2 year old was holding your controller for you when you go for jump shots. So you have your blast hit the ground or the walls, completely negating your kill. And since the blasters fire so slow, a miss can mean certain death in some situations. Which could have been a completely fair kill on your end. Or if you were like me at the end of splat one, you could consistently hit directs up close, so you loved being able to jump and flick the crosshair into your opponent. Except, you can't do that anymore, because having good aim is awful in a competitive game.

Also, rng is pretty toxic to any game it inhabits. Especially in pokemon where games can be decided by a single critical hit, a win condition can be lost because you switched in your pokemon to a move that can burn 30% of the time, or you miss a move by 10% and lose the game because of it.

So please, change the blasters back to where they were before splat 2, they were just fine. We don't have the braindead lunas who only stack qrsj, and we don't have panic buttons anymore on the range blaster.
You can actually still get 100% accurate jump-shots, you just have to shoot a *little* bit later than you would have in s1. Sorin made a video about this recently and I encourage you to watch it.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
At this point I mostly use the Custom Jet Squelcher and sometimes it's Vanilla counterpart depending on the map and gamemode. Occasionally, I would switch things up and use the Dualie Squelchers and the N-ZAP '85 if I want to play more aggressive.

For the Jet Squelcher, I think it's a pretty solid weapon for the most part and doesn't necessarily need any changes but if I really had too a small increase to it's bullet velocity would be ok.

The kits of both the Jet Sqelchers are pretty solid (imo) for the most part but one thing I wouldn't mind buffing would Toxic Mist sub weapon. I mentioned the Toxic Mist sub-weapon in another thread on how effective it can be on curtain maps and in RM, but the somewhat high ink cost and the fairly long delay before start recharging your ink tank hurts a bit. On top of that more experienced players (or players who stack a lot of swim speed ups) could boldly attempt to swim though ignoring the effects of the Toxic Mist and sometimes come out on top in the engagement.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the Toxic Mist sub was a little less costly/shorting the delay before you can recharge your ink tank OR keeping it's current cost but making the effects of the Toxic Mist a bit more potent.

The Dualie Squelchers are fine for the most part as they already have a lot going for it, but I do wish they were more accurate (I dislike losing engagements due to RNG bullets which is why don't use the .Gals much), and the N-ZAP is pretty much perfect for the most part.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
You can actually still get 100% accurate jump-shots, you just have to shoot a *little* bit later than you would have in s1. Sorin made a video about this recently and I encourage you to watch it.
Could you please send a link to this video, I searched the channel, and I couldn't find it. Also, I've never really seen Sorin use a blaster, much less tell you tips and tricks about it. Maybe you're talking about Sendou's video about Blaster rng. Which he mentions pretty much everything I talked about. "Sure you just can't jump, but jumping is a very important part of every blaster player.

I saw this on Sendou's twitter account a couple days ago.
And yes, I know that you can still shoot accurately in splatoon 2 when you jump. However, you lose out on a lot more kills just because you shot at the top of your jump, which was understood for the entire lifetime of splatoon 1 as the time to fire.

And yes, I know this change was to nerf blasters overall. However, the best blasters those being Luna Neo and CRB got heavily nerfed in their own right. The main nerf with the luna was that it got it's safety net of Quick Respawn + Stealth Jump removed, plus an ink consumption nerf on top of that.

The CRB also felt the qrsj nerf, but it also got it's panic buttons taken away. You can't roll a splat bomb to your feet if a flanker comes near you, suction bombs just don't allow that type of play. And you certainly can't panic kraken like you used to, making range blaster require more aim to be as efficient as it once was.

Those changes were fine, they stopped blaster players from becoming too aggressive, and careless with their tools to win gunfights without aim.

Why the rng manipulation is overkill, at least in my eyes is that it can easily make the user's trained aim, complete garbage. And someone who can't aim the broad side of a barn can now hit directs because the shots can deviate so far.

The other reason why this change is complete garbage is because it harms the vanilla blaster. Yeah, the weapon that has literally disappeared after the range blaster got introduced. It was never considered "high tier" in splat 1 anyway. It was just the blaster that never had a good bomb, couldn't space like the other two instakill blasters, and couldn't compete against them for a team slot. Which makes a struggling weapon trying to get into the meta even weaker, and even in this splashdown meta, it's never really seen. Which is just depressing because if anything splashdown is getting a nerf, not a buff. And toxic mist isn't going to save the weapon anytime soon. I'm not even going to get started on the custom version. That poor thing has a terribly underpowered inkjet that it can barely ever get, and a sub that doesn't help it at all in an intense gunfight.

Zahntavier

Senior Squid
Tenta brella, obv.

Small issue here, but I’d like a more visible reticle when hiding my charger shots, or swimming while holding a shot. The soft grey circle gets lost in the visual noise sometimes...maybe I’m just old.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Could you please send a link to this video, I searched the channel, and I couldn't find it. Also, I've never really seen Sorin use a blaster, much less tell you tips and tricks about it. Maybe you're talking about Sendou's video about Blaster rng. Which he mentions pretty much everything I talked about. "Sure you just can't jump, but jumping is a very important part of every blaster player.

I saw this on Sendou's twitter account a couple days ago.
And yes, I know that you can still shoot accurately in splatoon 2 when you jump. However, you lose out on a lot more kills just because you shot at the top of your jump, which was understood for the entire lifetime of splatoon 1 as the time to fire.

And yes, I know this change was to nerf blasters overall. However, the best blasters those being Luna Neo and CRB got heavily nerfed in their own right. The main nerf with the luna was that it got it's safety net of Quick Respawn + Stealth Jump removed, plus an ink consumption nerf on top of that.

The CRB also felt the qrsj nerf, but it also got it's panic buttons taken away. You can't roll a splat bomb to your feet if a flanker comes near you, suction bombs just don't allow that type of play. And you certainly can't panic kraken like you used to, making range blaster require more aim to be as efficient as it once was.

Those changes were fine, they stopped blaster players from becoming too aggressive, and careless with their tools to win gunfights without aim.

Why the rng manipulation is overkill, at least in my eyes is that it can easily make the user's trained aim, complete garbage. And someone who can't aim the broad side of a barn can now hit directs because the shots can deviate so far.

The other reason why this change is complete garbage is because it harms the vanilla blaster. Yeah, the weapon that has literally disappeared after the range blaster got introduced. It was never considered "high tier" in splat 1 anyway. It was just the blaster that never had a good bomb, couldn't space like the other two instakill blasters, and couldn't compete against them for a team slot. Which makes a struggling weapon trying to get into the meta even weaker, and even in this splashdown meta, it's never really seen. Which is just depressing because if anything splashdown is getting a nerf, not a buff. And toxic mist isn't going to save the weapon anytime soon. I'm not even going to get started on the custom version. That poor thing has a terribly underpowered inkjet that it can barely ever get, and a sub that doesn't help it at all in an intense gunfight.
Yeah, sorry about that. I MEANT Sendou, I tend to find myself confusing the 2 quite a lot.

But I'm glad the devs are discouraging jump-shots. It makes a nice dynamic where you either take a chance to get a kill without being punished or you choose to commit to your kill and are punished if you miss the direct. Overall, I think it (and the lack of qrsj and invincibility) have raised the skill ceiling of a weapon class that (for the most part) is just "point and win".

plz don't get mad at me. :confused:

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Overall, I think it (and the lack of qrsj and invincibility) have raised the skill ceiling of a weapon class that (for the most part) is just "point and win".
bruh
plz don't get mad at me. :confused:
Come on dude...do you realize what you just said? Blasters are far more than "point and win". Anyways, if you got nothing nice to say here, don't bother.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
bruh

Come on dude...do you realize what you just said? Blasters are far more than "point and win". Anyways, if you got nothing nice to say here, don't bother.
How am I not being nice?

Oh and you're right, it's not "point and win," it's "miss and still do ridiculous amounts of damage"

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
How am I not being nice?

Oh and you're right, it's not "point and win," it's "miss and still do ridiculous amounts of damage"
Yeah, we can certainly go without someone acting all aloof and looking down upon certain weapon types for a change. You cannot go in, insult a Blaster main and expect him not to take offense to that. I sometimes play Blaster-type weapons myself, not as religiously as Guy does, but you can easily tell someone hasn't played it enough himself to be talking like this, so here's a tid-bit of explanaition for you.

First of all, it's neither point and win, nor is it "Miss and still do ridiculous amounts of damage".
If you want to oversimplify shooter games, every single weapon boils down to "point and win" ("bruh, chargers are so ez, just charge up dem shots and point at the enemy"). Now for your second statement. Whoa there, boi. :p . Blasters need to land their OHKO, otherwise their TTK is easily overshadowed by pretty much every shooter type weapon and even, to a certain extent -charger weapons. Yes, the very same charger weapons that supposedly suck at close-combat. Been there on both ends. In exchange, they get the capability to punish people for bad positioning and can splat behind cover using the blast radius. Similar to how your bullets can still shoot over obstacles and up ledges in an arc. Similar to how Sloshers and Rollers can still get you up ledges. Similar to pretty much every weapon in the game (except chargers, that fall-off damage is negligible), if you haven't noticed that yet you haven't been paying attention.

As for the "but Blasters don't need to aim well!", yeah well, technically spoken, lots of weapons in Splatoon have that perk to a certain extent. Either because their shots are super wide (Tri-Sloshers) or because their fire-rate makes up for it (ooooh!). Weapons mostly excluded from this kind of perk happen to be in the long-range department (oooh, makes sense, yes?) or don't deal much splash damage (for instance, the RPro needs three indirects to kill, that's again pretty much slow as molasses compared to the SSPro who can down you in a second if you're unlucky).

Anyhoo, add the fact that Blasters like the CRB can't turf to save their life (compared to pretty much every shooter and even chargers in the game), AND turn into a statue when shooting while standing, which is brutal, considering fast-TTK weapons don't have that mobility drawback, so they need to "bunny hop" to keep that tid-bit of momentum when engaging enemies. You can probably tell where I'm going there, with the RNG in S2 really messing up quite a lot of shots where other weapons'd go mostly unaffected with unbeaten mobility on top of a fast TTK. Yes, one can deal with that nerf ON top of the worse kits, but it doesn't have to. But hey, I'm playing the E-Liter, what do I have to say, amirite?

P.S.: Jet is fine. The only buff I can see worthwhile is not exclusive for the Jet itself but the sub (Toxic Mist), since that one is arguably the worst sub in the game rn.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Yeah, we can certainly go without someone acting all aloof and looking down upon certain weapon types for a change. You cannot go in, insult a Blaster main and expect him not to take offense to that. I sometimes play Blaster-type weapons myself, not as religiously as Guy does, but you can easily tell someone hasn't played it enough himself to be talking like this, so here's a tid-bit of explanaition for you.

First of all, it's neither point and win, nor is it "Miss and still do ridiculous amounts of damage".
If you want to oversimplify shooter games, every single weapon boils down to "point and win" ("bruh, chargers are so ez, just charge up dem shots and point at the enemy"). Now for your second statement. Whoa there, boi. :p . Blasters need to land their OHKO, otherwise their TTK is easily overshadowed by pretty much every shooter type weapon and even, to a certain extent -charger weapons. Yes, the very same charger weapons that supposedly suck at close-combat. Been there on both ends. In exchange, they get the capability to punish people for bad positioning and can splat behind cover using the blast radius. Similar to how your bullets can still shoot over obstacles and up ledges in an arc. Similar to how Sloshers and Rollers can still get you up ledges. Similar to pretty much every weapon in the game (except chargers, that fall-off damage is negligible), if you haven't noticed that yet you haven't been paying attention.

As for the "but Blasters don't need to aim well!", yeah well, technically spoken, lots of weapons in Splatoon have that perk to a certain extent. Either because their shots are super wide (Tri-Sloshers) or because their fire-rate makes up for it (ooooh!). Weapons mostly excluded from this kind of perk happen to be in the long-range department (oooh, makes sense, yes?) or don't deal much splash damage (for instance, the RPro needs three indirects to kill, that's again pretty much slow as molasses compared to the SSPro who can down you in a second if you're unlucky).

Anyhoo, add the fact that Blasters like the CRB can't turf to save their life (compared to pretty much every shooter and even chargers in the game), AND turn into a statue when shooting while standing, which is brutal, considering fast-TTK weapons don't have that mobility drawback, so they need to "bunny hop" to keep that tid-bit of momentum when engaging enemies. You can probably tell where I'm going there, with the RNG in S2 really messing up quite a lot of shots where other weapons'd go mostly unaffected with unbeaten mobility on top of a fast TTK. Yes, one can deal with that nerf ON top of the worse kits, but it doesn't have to. But hey, I'm playing the E-Liter, what do I have to say, amirite?

P.S.: Jet is fine. The only buff I can see worthwhile is not exclusive for the Jet itself but the sub (Toxic Mist), since that one is arguably the worst sub in the game rn.

Bro! It's not like I said, "You suck I hope your family dies!" I just talked about my opinions on the Blaster class. People shouldn't be taking offence if someone else says what they think about the weapon they main.

And the "shoot and win" is a joke that obviously went over your head, similar to the term "walking simulator" used for adventure games. The "miss and do ridiculous amounts of damage" thing is actually real though. Yes, a good blaster will get mostly directs, but they can also easily kill when they can't even SEE the enemy. Add that classic Splatoon lag and you've got a very good weapon.

I didn't mean to *TRIGGER* anyone.

Last edited:

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」

Bro! It's not like I said, "You suck I hope your family dies!" I just talked about my opinions on the Blaster class. People shouldn't be taking offence if someone else says what they think about the weapon they main.

And the "shoot and win" is a joke that obviously went over your head, similar to the term "walking simulator" used for adventure games. The "miss and do ridiculous amounts of damage" thing is actually real though. Yes, a good blaster will get mostly directs, but they can also easily kill when they can't even SEE the enemy. Add that classic Splatoon lag and you've got a very good weapon.
You might want to check that detector, cuz it's giving you a false-positive. Though you may want to stop and think for a second: This is a forum, with written text. Jokes will "fly over people's heads" if not clearly indicated as such, as tone of voice does not convey well through written text. Similar to how you just thought I'm being salty when explaining why I think you're wrong (with a pinch of sarcasm, sorrynotsorry :D). As to "people shouldn't be taking offense, it's just my opinion" - yes, you are entitled to have your own opinion about weapon classes, but this doesn't free you from the responsibility to voice them in a way where you don't go walking around being plain rude about it left and right under the false pretense this falls under freedom of speech. Cuz to recap, here's what basically everyone understood: "Yeah, Blasters are the cheapest weapon class, plz don't be mad at me Blaster-mains lul" - I'm just the boo-man actually going in and telling you this. You're welcome. |3

Back on the "miss and do damage":
Again, that's a perk lots of weapons can abuse in different ways, including classic Splatoon lag. It doesn't invalidate the fact that Blasters, when hitting indirects, have a much slower TTK compared to basic Shooters which have a skill floor somewhere up in the skies (classic sign of a good allrounder) compared to the Blaster class (crippling overspecialization). And the longer the range of a Blaster, the more crippling the jumpy RNG gets, as once you enter below their optimum range, directs are the only way to win gunfights. You can go and say it's a cheap weapon, but I hope you do realize what you're doing there in the long run.

Last edited:

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
The "miss and do ridiculous amounts of damage" thing is actually real though. Yes, a good blaster will get mostly directs, but they can also easily kill when they can't even SEE the enemy. Add that classic Splatoon lag and you've got a very good weapon.
Okey, I see what you're saying here. Blasters don't need to aim. And to an extent, you're right.

However, the feature of the blaster, is of course the blast. And that blast only goes off at a certain distance. So if your opponent is inside you and that blastoff distance, you need to aim for the direct. Because competent players will not allow you to let them get into that blast space easily. Trust me I learned that the hard way :[

Good blasters can get directs consistently, that's pretty true. Which again, is the optimal way to kill opponents, you don't resort to two shotting all the time.

If a blaster player can't see an enemy, then that means they won't even shoot there. Or they won't know where to approach the enemy. If they can't see the enemy, it's not an easy kill. It's a kill that they have to hunt for. I think the context you meant to put this in was around cover, or on a ledge. Because a blaster player doesn't need a line of sight to kill you sure, but they need to be aware that you're there. And that kill is by no means "easy" because the slow fire rate allows the opponent to run away in between shots, so it's not going to be easy to get these kills.

Now adding that to "Classic Splatoon lag" can apply to every weapon. It can turn a dynamo roller into a carbon roller with twice the range, an N-zap into a dimension hopping beast, and it can make any fight going up against them almost impossible to win. However, "classic splatoon lag" is not consistent enough, nor is it able to be abused by any means (your opponent has to deal with a laggy player on their screen too), and you can't use it against your opponents regularly. As you would probably disconnect from the match all together, or just unable to play the game. Which doesn't make it an argument as to why the weapon is good.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Jet Squelcher, especially the vanilla JS has suffered from massive indirect nerfs by having all its competitors severely buffed, and being even ignored during general buffs like anti-baller buffs.

Other than that, the Octobrush is fine. Could in fact use a little nerf to make the Inkbrush a tiny bit relevant.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Other than that, the Octobrush is fine. Could in fact use a little nerf to make the Inkbrush a tiny bit relevant.
How would you go about nerfing the Octobrush without turning it into the Inkbrush? The Octobrush always has a bit of a rough time cos of all the Splashdowns and Stinkjet being the way it is.

Foxtrot

Full Squid
I cant be the only one who wants this feature removed. Please for the love of the kraken god, remove the charge delay to chargers when falling.

I have absolutely no idea why its a feature that when falling, your charger, charges at half the speed. There is no doubt that chargers are already in a 'meh' spot, and while this might not play a major part in it, id love for it to be gone. I feel like it would make the squiffer specifically a much more popular, and viable charger too.

darktenpura

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1816-5244-1416
I cant be the only one who wants this feature removed. Please for the love of the kraken god, remove the charge delay to chargers when falling.

I have absolutely no idea why its a feature that when falling, your charger, charges at half the speed. There is no doubt that chargers are already in a 'meh' spot, and while this might not play a major part in it, id love for it to be gone. I feel like it would make the squiffer specifically a much more popular, and viable charger too.
That would have made chargers much more fun! APPROVE.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Oh yeah! Chargers aren't hitscan anymore, right? Make Charger weapons hitscan again so I can actually land my shots like I used to, pls. I was no charger main in the first game, but I at least knew I was going to land my shots if I had my crosshair on someone. Now it doesn't feel right anymore.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」

While it would give me the opportunity to make more trickshots, it's always been this way afair. Same for Splatlings. I don't know how to feel about this personally, I've done perfectly fine with this squissue so far and idk if that's really necessary anymore considering unscoped chargers have the charge-hold mechanic now, so jumpy trickshots are already a thing. That being said, I wouldn't have any problems with this being buffed, lol.

Oh yeah! Chargers aren't hitscan anymore, right? Make Charger weapons hitscan again so I can actually land my shots like I used to, pls. I was no charger main in the first game, but I at least knew I was going to land my shots if I had my crosshair on someone. Now it doesn't feel right anymore.
With the current tickrate idk if Hitscan is such a good idea. I admit I've been legit annoyed when first diving into S2 because of the slowed down projectiles but you adapt after a while. As long as they don't fix the underlying technical issues I wouldn't risk speeding them up. Then again, the SSPro has faster projectiles..I'm torn. Just make them the same speed and I'm happy.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
How would you go about nerfing the Octobrush without turning it into the Inkbrush? The Octobrush always has a bit of a rough time cos of all the Splashdowns and Stinkjet being the way it is.
That's quite easy really. Remove all the buffs it has received during the Splatoon 1 to Splatoon 2 transmition. They were completely unnecessary like many other buffs and pushed the Inkbrush even further towards redundancy with the additional 4-Hit range buff. It's currently not struggling in any way and is a beyond solid weapon in every aspect. While it's of course not dominating and doesn't badly need nerfs like for example the Splattershot, a nerf would definitely still be justified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom