• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Accidentally Activating My Special

kunoichi squid

Inkling Cadet
Does anyone else have trouble accidentally activating their specials when playing Salmon Run? I have to wonder if this is is because I'm using the joy con grip. My hands are relatively small, just FYI. Anyway, just wondering if I'm the only one and/or some suggestions. Thanks in advance!

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I've always had that problem, too, regardless of controller, and in Splatoon 1 too. It maddens me that they assigned it to the right stick when L and A are unused.

Squee-G

Inkling
Personally, I've never had the problem, but I could see how you might do it. I would recommend using thumbstick caps for your joy-cons, at least for me, they make the sticks feel clickier when you press down, so I think they might help out. Personally, I like using the Mibote set.

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
Yeah, I used to do this a lot, particularly in tense situations when I'd be gripping my controller a little harder than I really needed to. Though I use a Pro Controller most of the time and still have the issue, so it doesn't seem to be a joy-con specific problem.

One thing that I've found can help is pushing the stick around from the sides rather than resting your thumb on top. It makes it a lot harder to accidentally press the stick in. It also makes moving the camera around a little slower, but not to the point where it's noticeably impacted my performance. I find you generally don't need to be wrenching the camera around too fast in Salmon Run anyway.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
i've pressed it by accident, like reflexes from when i'm using other weapons ("NOW!!" oh wait this isn't what i thought it was), but i've never had a mechanical accident where my finger slipped.

maybe we hold the controller differently. i always control the sticks with the middle/ball of my thumbs rather than the tips.

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I don't have this problem at all, but I remember when I first started playing games like Lost Planet, which had the reload button be R3, then I would have problems accidentally clicking the stick in the middle of a fight. You just sort of learn over time to control yourself.

Xystance

Inkling
I feel the controller being smaller and the sticks being more sensitive and easier to push down has led to easy special activation. Sharp turns have caused me to activate it when they did not in Splatoon 1.

kunoichi squid

Inkling Cadet
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, comments, etc. Glad to know I'm not the only one and hopefully we (all of us who have issues like I described) can either cope or learn how to retrain our thumbs. :D

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
Oh wow bro, you just brought up a sore subject for me... Yeah, this squid is guilty as charged on the accidental activation front. I haven't managed to pull it off in Salmon Run, but I've done it too many times to maintain any dignity in in both Splatoon 1 and 2. For me, it's always when I get in a really sticky/intense situation, which can happen quite a bit since I have a very aggressive play style. It's killed me more times than I can count, but the good news is that somehow I got to S+ in Splatoon 1 and am currently at S in 2 anyway. The bad news is that I keep doing it whenever I'm surrounded on all sides by bad guys, ha ha. At this point I guess it's gonna be hard to stop, but I wish I could...

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
If I were to guess I'd say it's most likely due to using the grip instead of a pro controller, I've never really had this issue. The opposite, actually! I always forget to use mine until it's too late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom