After the 2.7.0 update what trends have you started to notice?

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
IMO it's an even BETTER weapon to compensate said weapon's poor close range abilities now. Burst bombs were a big buff for those who AIM the things rather than spamming 4 hoping to hit "something" :) that said the main gun there was nerfed so hard I'm really unsure if it's worth it.
That's precisely why it's such a good "nerf". Just like the Dynamo "nerf" a few months ago, flailing monkeys are severely hurt, while good players can start to shine through. That's also why I'm iffy on calling it a nerf; it's more of a rebalance than anything.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Just had a 4 hour ranked session with not a single Wasabi, only Tentateks and Vanillas, so I think the new weapon hype is definitely starting to wear off.
Really weird, it makes me wonder if the weapon matching is playing a role, i.e. it's determined wasabi is too close to whatever weapon you're using so you don't see them as much?

I haven't had a session yet without a wasabi in > 50% of the rooms. Not sure if it's parity with tentatek/octoshot or not. But if not it's close. AND I still see teams with 2 wasabis.

That's precisely why it's such a good "nerf". Just like the Dynamo "nerf" a few months ago, flailing monkeys are severely hurt, while good players can start to shine through. That's also why I'm iffy on calling it a nerf; it's more of a rebalance than anything.
Burst bombs, yeah, it's a rebalance. It buffs a certain type of play, nerfs a cheap type of play. I've found post-buff, I'm actively seeking using all weapons with burst bombs (vanilla eliter, bambi mk iii, neo splash, vanilla splattershot.)

Eliter on the other hand, that was a nerf, and a grotesque one at that. Hit by 3 separate nerfs at once, given a relatively unimportant buff, and designating it to a role that doesn't fit well with high rank play. Every time I take eliter these days, I love the burst bombs, I do ok with it, and then I end up switching to splatterscope or one of the bambis so I can actually contribute. :(

Brunosky_Inc

NNID
Brunosky_Inc
Eliter on the other hand, that was a nerf, and a grotesque one at that. Hit by 3 separate nerfs at once, given a relatively unimportant buff, and designating it to a role that doesn't fit well with high rank play. Every time I take eliter these days, I love the burst bombs, I do ok with it, and then I end up switching to splatterscope or one of the bambis so I can actually contribute. :(
I still see a good ammount of E-Liters around while playing, and I'm not familiar with the intricacies of high level play, so what's the issue with the E-Liter at that level? Does it have to do with its long charge time not being compensated enough by its extreme range?

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I still see a good ammount of E-Liters around while playing, and I'm not familiar with the intricacies of high level play, so what's the issue with the E-Liter at that level? Does it have to do with its long charge time not being compensated enough by its extreme range?
Before the nerfs to Burst Bombs and the weapon as a whole, E-Litres used to be able to stack Damage and play very aggressively, as they had Burst Bombs to fall back on in times of need (except those that just threw all 4 at the ground and splatted without aiming). With the Scope having a gap in its range now (as all uncharged shots match the regular unscoped version), and the other nerfs applied, the devs have forced it into being a perch sniper. High level ranked is all about being aggressive, wiping out the enemy as much as possible and pushing the objective as much as possible, an E-Litre can't do much to help if it's stuck in its perch whilst the rest of the team is on the other side of the map with the Tower or Rainmaker, so it becomes a 3v4 if they have no E-Litre.

Brunosky_Inc

NNID
Brunosky_Inc
Before the nerfs to Burst Bombs and the weapon as a whole, E-Litres used to be able to stack Damage and play very aggressively, as they had Burst Bombs to fall back on in times of need (except those that just threw all 4 at the ground and splatted without aiming). With the Scope having a gap in its range now (as all uncharged shots match the regular unscoped version), and the other nerfs applied, the devs have forced it into being a perch sniper. High level ranked is all about being aggressive, wiping out the enemy as much as possible and pushing the objective as much as possible, an E-Litre can't do much to help if it's stuck in its perch whilst the rest of the team is on the other side of the map with the Tower or Rainmaker, so it becomes a 3v4 if they have no E-Litre.
Oh; that makes a lot of sense.

What about Splat Zones? Dealing with enemies trying to make it to the zone(s) while hopefully their teammates help at keeping ambushers from making it to their position?

Award

Absolutely perfectly said.

And I mained CUSTOM E-Liter - no burst bombs to fall back on. I played aggressively and had to do it all with the 2-shot from the main gun close up. With the swim speed nerf, not only did the ability to join in get nerfed, but even the kraken got nerfed.

The burst bomb buff keeps the vanilla ALMOST viable, but why use it when splatterscope has almost the same range as unscoped eliter now, charges faster, moves faster, is more ink efficient, and the map design rarely favors the extended range of the eliter. Splatterscope reaches across Moray now! Though not AS deep into the ledge as eliter.

Oh; that makes a lot of sense.

What about Splat Zones? Dealing with enemies trying to make it to the zone(s) while hopefully their teammates help at keeping ambushers from making it to their position?
It probably fares better in zones, but again there's so few maps that really take advantage of that range. Depot is one of the better maps for that, but then it's so easy to get flanked as a perch sniper there, and you're in trouble close up most of the time still depending on how much ink you have left. it has its uses, but the utility is certainly diminished. I enjoy playing it at least for TC, but I take it expecting I'll probably cause my team to lose more often than if I didn't :(

It's the mix of it's own nerfs and the buffs to splatterscope and hydra that make it a shakier proposition than before. Eliter did get a 6% charge time boost, but you still get 3 shots to the tank with a very slow charge. You can't afford to miss - and with so many things moving FASTER than before, other weapons provide a lot more room to correct for error.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Really weird, it makes me wonder if the weapon matching is playing a role, i.e. it's determined wasabi is too close to whatever weapon you're using so you don't see them as much?

I haven't had a session yet without a wasabi in > 50% of the rooms. Not sure if it's parity with tentatek/octoshot or not. But if not it's close. AND I still see teams with 2 wasabis.
That only takes effect once the lobby is filled, it doesn't decide who can join the lobby, thankfully as they'd take much longer to fill. But yeah that was just my anecdotal experience, not a true a way to tell for fact. I would say the Wasabi is a bit inferior to the other variants thanks to Inkstrike, so I was thinking people were only using it over the old variants because it's fresh n new, but I could be mistaken!

Award

That only takes effect once the lobby is filled, it doesn't decide who can join the lobby, thankfully as they'd take much longer to fill. But yeah that was just my anecdotal experience, not a true a way to tell for fact. I would say the Wasabi is a bit inferior to the other variants thanks to Inkstrike, so I was thinking people were only using it over the old variants because it's fresh n new, but I could be mistaken!
Yeah, inkstrike is kind of meh (though in zones it's killer) but I think the big thing is splat bombs are generally much better in more situations than suction bombs. I "like" suction bombs. Sometimes I get fantastic "halt the RM!" runs with suction bombs. But most of the time a splat bomb just does so much more in battle. Wasabi wins there for sure. I swear people only play the tentatek for the inkzooka and couldn't care about the suction bombs much at all.

Me? I'll take my burst bomb splattershot when I want to go meta ;) That new burst bomb rush is fleek. :p

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
I think it's the weapon combination. Splattershots are so much more suited for aggressive play, and suction bombs don't quite fit the bill in that. They take two seconds to explode, so it's really just for keeping others off your neck and forcing them to move. They give you plenty of time to evade, so it's quite bad in aggressive play and just a nice spacing method a lot more useful for long-range fighters. I'm not surprised most Octoshot users don't even throw suction bombs at all. Splatbombs suit the Splattershot just better. I feel like they're actually designed to kill. You step into the enemy ink with a well-thrown (or rolled) splatbomb near you, and it's usually game-over.
I honestly think for many people it's the choice of either having a sub-ability or a special-ability when they choose which Splattershot to use, because regardless of what they choose, one of them has an ability they have usually no use for. That's why I don't understand why the Burst Bomb Splattershot isn't much more popular. Even I would use it if it wasn't so ugly or if I had the Squid amiibo to get the good looking one.

Award

I think it's the weapon combination. Splattershots are so much more suited for aggressive play, and suction bombs don't quite fit the bill in that. They take two seconds to explode, so it's really just for keeping others off your neck and forcing them to move. They give you plenty of time to evade, so it's quite bad in aggressive play and just a nice spacing method a lot more useful for long-range fighters. I'm not surprised most Octoshot users don't even throw suction bombs at all. Splatbombs suit the Splattershot just better. I feel like they're actually designed to kill. You step into the enemy ink with a well-thrown (or rolled) splatbomb near you, and it's usually game-over.
I honestly think for many people it's the choice of either having a sub-ability or a special-ability when they choose which Splattershot to use, because regardless of what they choose, one of them has an ability they have usually no use for. That's why I don't understand why the Burst Bomb Splattershot isn't much more popular. Even I would use it if it wasn't so ugly or if I had the Squid amiibo to get the good looking one.
It's not ugly if you owned one of the original Super Soakers when they were made by Larami ;) Except it was blue and yellow instead of green. But it's patent-infringingly similar ;) (Not sure if they ever sold them in your neck of the woods....I'm guessing they did in Japan though :) )

I still have my SS100 and my '89 NES Zapper.....ready for battle! :D

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I actually see a lot of tentateks throwing lots of suction bombs based on my experience. The advantage suction bombs have over splatbombs is that they stick to any surface. The longer timer and larger blast radius actually makes it to where you're scaring of most opponents and keeping them out of areas and at times forcing them to take on a tentatek head on if thrown behind them. Another advantage is that suction bombs can be super silent. If they immediately stick one to a surface it can act as a silent bomb, whereas splatbombs are constantly making noises. Both bombs have different advantages. Each can suit a weapon better than the other, but i'd say the two suits the splattershoy equally as good.

Award

I actually see a lot of tentateks throwing lots of suction bombs based on my experience. The advantage suction bombs have over splatbombs is that they stick to any surface. The longer timer and larger blast radius actually makes it to where you're scaring of most opponents and keeping them out of areas and at times forcing them to take on a tentatek head on if thrown behind them. Another advantage is that suction bombs can be super silent. If they immediately stick one to a surface it can act as a silent bomb, whereas splatbombs are constantly making noises. Both bombs have different advantages. Each can suit a weapon better than the other, but i'd say the two suits the splattershoy equally as good.
All true, though I'd say generally when I get splatted by a suction bomb it's that stealth silent variety, or my own dumb stupidity forgetting that I saw it .03 seconds ago and headed back into it (file under: Walked right into killer wail. Again.) But splat bombs more times than not it's thrown right where I'm going and with the game's momentum it simply can't be avoided.

Archæa

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ArchaeaNFS
In short: A lot more diversity.

And that's a good thing.

The old meta was becoming stale, and I for one even feared this would doom the competitive scene in its infancy. For proof of this, just watch FLC's video about why he stopped playing competitively. He felt like it became the same old techniques, weapons, abilities. The diversity among play styles and weapon choice was appallingly underdeveloped.

And what have we seen since this update? So many more different weapons, play styles and tactics. It's no longer just .96, Dynamo, E-Liter and tenatek in every competitive battle. The scene has been refreshed and fixed all the abuses of the old meta (I'm looking at you charger damage-up stacking).

So maybe not in short, but I think it was everythig splatoon needed, wanted and more. Just ask FLC, he's back now that he thinks the scene has opened up and stopped becoming the same cut and paste cheap weapons. (video below)

swaggrinkirby

Inkling
NNID
Cool-Davidoo
Post patch tower control has become a NIGHTMARE. It is really a mess of players choosing the berry pro and spamming the m=bomb rush. In general bomb rushes are more common along with the weapons carrying them. I am also seeing generally more weapon diversity and despite what others have said, bamboozeres are still scare in my side of the woods (B+ though A) I am however, seeing many more permanent inkbrushes and vanilla octobrushes. As a dynamo user myself, the huge shift towards the tempered over others seems to bother me. I think that the nerfs were fairly balanced but the 96. Gal nerf was HUGE. It really hurt this weapon I have found that I have to sacrifice some swim speed for strength up. I can't go without it anymore as the 96. has a hard time landing a third hit due to it's slow fire rate. Wasabis are the most common weapon now in my opinion.

Sexchzardth

Inkling
NNID
sesongo
Seekers had a 200% growth... I haven't played a single match without seekers... Tempered Dynamo roller also seems to be a great weapon I can´t use. I've tried to play with it and couldn't contribute at all with my team, but i've seen many bad players do good with it... Maybe they weren't bad at all and just were waiting for their weapon to come out. Also the f***ing Wasabi splattershot... Man! some matches look like an inkstrike rain! Anyway I'd rather go Zapper. Manmenmi ;)

Archæa

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ArchaeaNFS
I think that the nerfs were fairly balanced but the 96. Gal nerf was HUGE.
I have seen this point come up a lot, and I figured I might as well throw my opinion into the lot.

I do not believe the .96 "nerf" (notice the quotations) had the effect of decreasing the .96 population. This is a twofold analysis. First of all, the nerf itself was very mild. The damage nerf is easily counterable, as we have seen with the with the .52 from the beginning, and the accuracy buff helps fix one of the only weak points of the weapon (although the buff is small). It seems to me that this change is almost a buff, with no negative consequences that cannot be countered.

But the nerf must've been huge! Why else would there be the decrease in the Gal spam?

To me the answer is simple; there are so many other options now. I've made this point above, but put simply, the massive influx of newly competitively viable weapons gives new opportunities for players to use weapons other than the .96 that fit their play styles better.

Brunosky_Inc

NNID
Brunosky_Inc
I have seen this point come up a lot, and I figured I might as well throw my opinion into the lot.

I do not believe the .96 "nerf" (notice the quotations) had the effect of decreasing the .96 population. This is a twofold analysis. First of all, the nerf itself was very mild. The damage nerf is easily counterable, as we have seen with the with the .52 from the beginning, and the accuracy buff helps fix one of the only weak points of the weapon (although the buff is small). It seems to me that this change is almost a buff, with no negative consequences that cannot be countered.

But the nerf must've been huge! Why else would there be the decrease in the Gal spam?

To me the answer is simple; there are so many other options now. I've made this point above, but put simply, the massive influx of newly competitively viable weapons gives new opportunities for players to use weapons other than the .96 that fit their play styles better.
I still think the reduction in its raw damage was really helpful. While it can still two-hit, now situations where I've been caught by a stray shot of a .96 while I'm damaged, and then thusly blown up in one hit, are less common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom