Aiming tips?

Grimlai

Senior Squid
NNID
SVC_Grimlai
Hey! I'm one of maybe two squids who use a charger, and I would like to find a way to consistently improve my aiming. I use a lot of motion controls, but I am open to trying out the classic full-stick method (but I would prefer to stick with motion). So what are your tips for learning how to aim precisely and consistently?

iNinja5567

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
iNinja5567
Stick with motion controls and look at the aiming reticule. It will change when you are aiming at an enemy. Other than that, practice, practice, practice!

V-kun

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
V-kunGX
I applaud you if you can play with motion controls. Personally i'm terrible at it. My recommendation is the right stick and low sensitivity. If you are more comfortable with motion controls though, stick with that and practice.

Sgt_Ludby

Inkling
NNID
Sgt_Ludby
I use the stick in noncombat situations but once I'm in range of an enemy, I use motion controls almost entirely. I find it much quicker and, more importantly, more precise.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
I must be the other squid who uses the charger then :P

Use motion controls and practice! Something that helped me was using the Splatterscope in the beginning, don´t know why but after using it for a day I was aiming much better with the regular charger.

Also, when aiming at enemies consider if they are moving, sometimes you need to aim to where they are going to be instead of where they are at the moment, mostly when fighting against jumping enemies.

V-kun

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
V-kunGX
It's funny, i turned motion controls on again yesterday after reading this post, just to see if i could give it another chance. It's not bad lol. It takes some getting used to but i think if you could master it, it's a great asset.

SHUTupNrocK8

Pro Squid
NNID
SHUTupNrocK8
I mean, you've probably heard it here already, but the best thing to do is practice. Pick it up in the Battle Dojo. Ink the place up, now stand in one spot, aim at a target, shoot, aim at another one as quick and accurate as you can, shoot. Repeat until you find a comfortable sensitivity. Keep practicing this, then bring it to the Lobby to use on moving targets. Practice makes perfect, you may not do well at first, but with more practice, you'll get better and better, and if that's a weapon you truly enjoying using, use it, and you will do well, and have fun.

Also, I highly recommend using motion controls. There will be commonly occurring situations where you'll be sniping, possibly aiming down the sights and you'll have someone inking you up from behind. I'm telling you from experience, you will never be able to turn around quick enough without motion controls being active. With motion controls you can hit the analog stick in the direction you want to turn in, as well as, turn the gamepad and you'll turn extremely quick, and this will give you a fighting chance. You could even start charging your Charger while turn quickly to try to get off a quick OHKO.

Hope this helped, have fun!

Riomegon

Inkling
NNID
Riomenog
From what I hear alot of jp players who are known to hop, shoot & dip (which let me tell you trying to aim them down is a pain...)
use motion controls.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
From what I hear alot of jp players who are known to hop, shoot & dip (which let me tell you trying to aim them down is a pain...)
use motion controls.
When you face someone like this, instead of aiming at where they are try aiming at their feet to where they´ll land. It takes some time to get used but once you do you´ll get them everytime. Whenever you see someone jumping (in any situation, like from the tower in the Skate Park) think that you have the advantage because you know exactly where they are going to land and they can´t do anything to evade a shot at their landing point.

iNinja5567

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
iNinja5567
You should always use motion controls. They are the best for aiming and covering turf. The analog controls are much more difficult to aim with. Unless you are really used to normal shooter controls, you should ALWAYS use motion controls.

CatBeard

Inkling
NNID
Tirwin200
One thing I use for a warm up is to go into the weapons testing ground. I ink up a little turf to give some room to swim and I constantly reposition myself. Each time, I charge up a shot while looking away from my target. Then, when it's just at full charge, I use the motion controls to aim and fire in a single sweeping motion. This helps with intuitive aiming and timing the full charge. Also, if you've completed the single player mode and have an Inkling Girl amiibo, the charger challenges are a great way to practice movement and hitting moving targets. I especially recommend the octoling battles for practice.

My best advice is this; kills are not a charger's greatest asset. It's the long, solid trails you make. Kills are very good and important, but when I first started getting good with the charger, I didn't get kills to help my team. I created trails. With them you can make lanes, close escape routes, and cover large areas by shooting and strafing. Don't be afraid to semi-charge for the sake of covering turf and making trails. You can assist in team kills by cutting off escape routes. Also, chargers have some of the highest mobility in the game thanks to the solidness of the lanes created, though at the cost of maneuverability. Mastering these skills will aid you more immediately than accurate kills.

Hope this helps ^_^

EvilMario

Inkling
NNID
EvilMario
Motion, or sticks, doesn't matter. Use whatever you're most comfortable with. If you're using sticks, I like to turn my sensitivity down for charger, more so than I would for other weapons at least. I almost always scope.

Grimlai

Senior Squid
NNID
SVC_Grimlai
So what I've been doing right now is using the motion controls on all weapons, but having the settings on 3.5 for shooters and rollers, and having the sensitivity at default for chargers. Gets rid of most of the wobbles when trying to snipe.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
>Wiggle your gyroscope around in the general direction of your enemy
>When you hear the shots hitting, stop wiggling!
>???
>Profit

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
>Wiggle your gyroscope around in the general direction of your enemy
>When you hear the shots hitting, stop wiggling!
>???
>Profit
xperk advike from proffesro PmD. Relleck.

Seriously though, USE MOTION CONTROLS!

_Vicious_

Full Squid
NNID
Vicious09
i never use the gyro i use stick, i can agree that the gyro controls can give you much more precise aiming but i can do just as good or even better than a squid using the gyro :) just personal preference.

for stick i use sensitivity 0 or +1 depending on what weapon i am using.
just keep at it using whatever you feel is a good fit for you

Prime 2.0

Inkling
NNID
PrimeV2
The undisputed gold standard in shooter control schemes is WASD+Mouse, which uses motion control for aiming. Splatoon's implementation of motion control could be better, but it is good enough to be an objectively superior choice to pure stick once learned, baring physical disability.

Splatoon lacks "lift the mouse off the pad" functionality for resetting physical controller position without disturbing the camera's facing, but it has the camera reset button which can substitute for that with some finangling, so you have to learn to use that for getting your gamepad back into position before you'll really feel comfy with the waggle. Right stick will be used for non-aiming turns at most sensitivities, but at low enough you just need to resort to camera reset abuse (stop shooting, move backwards, reset) for fast turns. Since you're using charger, you'll probably want to use a low sensitivity for more precise movements, so that's something you'll probably be learning at some point as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom