Any little in-game details you appreciate?

Eel-Ectric

Full Squid
Pronouns
she/he/they
Switch Friend Code
SW-0840-7727-8401
I was wandering Splatsville during the splatfest when I noticed a player model standing near the table turf area behind Grizzco. The character would sway a little, then start dancing a little more, then seemingly get embarrassed and go back to swaying. It was such a small and quiet detail but showed so much character and thought put into it!
So, I'm wondering: does anybody else also have little details y'all appreciate in-game?

TRUE NUCKA

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
He / Him
How the lore in this game has connotations with ****ing nazism and genocide and colonialism and Hitler and other war crimes/atrocities. That is a great detail that I love about Splatoon.

Cephalobro

Octarian Storyteller
Site Moderator
I have mentioned this before, but visiting Hotlantis through the arcade machine reveals that the garbage can behind your character has an octo tentacle sticking out of it, it's not fuzzy and not Sanitized either, just a normal octo tentacle. This could tease the idea of tentacle Octarians in the hub in Splatoon 4 or some future Splatoon game.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I have mentioned this before, but visiting Hotlantis through the arcade machine reveals that the garbage can behind your character has an octo tentacle sticking out of it, it's not fuzzy and not Sanitized either, just a normal octo tentacle. This could tease the idea of tentacle Octarians in the hub in Splatoon 4 or some future Splatoon game.
Unfortunately, I’m pretty sure that it’s just because that garbage can is a purchasable locker decoration. Though I do like your optimism.

I’ll be the one to bring up weapon sound design this time. Pretty much every weapon in the game has a unique sound when shooting. But that’s not the part I want to point out; when the Wellstring V is fully charged, you can hear it creaking under stress. A completely unnecessary detail that’s useless in the context of a match, but just makes the weapon feel so much more real and alive. I love this one particular detail.

SAMICOM

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him/They/Them
Switch Friend Code
SW-1519-4190-1330
I was wandering Splatsville during the splatfest when I noticed a player model standing near the table turf area behind Grizzco. The character would sway a little, then start dancing a little more, then seemingly get embarrassed and go back to swaying. It was such a small and quiet detail but showed so much character and thought put into it!
So, I'm wondering: does anybody else also have little details y'all appreciate in-game?
Band Lore. Diss-Pair origin is so ****ing funny

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
every once in a while i take some time to watch splatoon gameplay frame-by-frame. there's some really subtle UI choices that i absolutely love, like the little flash that happens every time one of your bullets collides with someone, which only lasts 3 frames and is pretty small but definitely aids in confirming that you've hit something; or the way the X over the player icon on the top of the screen slides into frame and flashes rapidly to draw attention to it so you can recognize that someone died, and same for the splashes that appear on the side of the screen when a teammate dies offscreen. there's so so many really small animation details that really make the game come together and present as much information as it can to the player, and as a game design nerd i love to try to catch all of the tricks they use to pull that off

QuagSass

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-6661-0032
Ough I was gonna talk about a bunch of different things, but then realised that just this one section became rather wordy. So I'll just keep it to this little bit.

I love love LOVE the sound design of the splatlings. Each splatling sounds unique in a way that so perfectly suits each one.

Heavy and Mini sound plastic-y, fitting their more toy-like appearance (Mini even has little rattle sounds added to it). The Order Splatling sounds subtly different from the Heavy, a bit more metallic? Not quite sure how to describe it, but it sounds exactly how it looks.
Nautilus and Hydra both sound metallic, being mostly metallic splatlings (go figure), but Nautilus sounds more hollow, like it's made out of thin metal sheets while Hydra sounds like an engine with how it purrs. Really highlighting the weight difference, despite the similar materials.
Ballpoint sounds plastic-y as well, but more? Dense? I guess? And the little mechanical clicks as it changes modes is just. Mwah! Beautiful!
Also did you know that there is an animation for Ballpoint changing it's modes? It's very fast and you can't really see it in regular gameplay because of the angle, but the Ballpoint does retract it's other barrels and sticks one of them out of the little hole in the casing for it's long range mode! That's so cool! I love splatlings!
Edit is a strange amalgamation of Heavy's plastic sounds, combined with Nautilus' more hollow sounds and Ballpoint's mechanical clicks. Really fitting it's gameplay, being the more mobile "traditional" splatling with a charge-based gimmick.

And despite the differences, they all sound so satisfying. The charge, the release, the singular uncharged bullets. They tickle my brain and satisfies my need for crunch

BeckyXP

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
She/Her
Small frys design in the spring fest and every other time it appears

Yeenom

Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/They
NNID
YeenBeans
Switch Friend Code
SW-6746-0504-4799
In the background of Barnacle and Dime you can see a set of male, female and genderless / NA bathrooms (It's the one with the green sign) Idk why but I just love that little detail so much. Even outside of inclusivity (Which I wish was more standard IRL), it just makes sense with a society made up of sea creatures with different biologies and make-ups. I love when Splatoon does worldbuilding outside of just the bands or specific NPCs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom