• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Anyone else hyped for the new leaked content?

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Male Octolings seem like sequel material to me. It's more like they decided to use the Octoling Single Player asset and make a new character out of it.
It's still a bunch of work just for even one model. Creating multiple meshes for all of the different shirts and hats on top of the obviously new ones we'll get with the update, adjusting the model for all of the situations the player will encounter, shading to work properly in all situations, making them work in the plaza, making higher quality textures because the player has a good look of them compared to before, it's a LOT of work.

Artakha

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Artakha
Oh i can understand if they don't put work in making a male octoling model. I'd just like it if they did have it simply to have the option for everyone.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Well, I wouldn't worry too much about the Male Octolings. After all the Male Inkling was designed after the completion of the Female Inkling, as an afterthought.
Oh yeah, originally Splatoon was only gonna have female Inklings before they decided to put in playable dudes afterwards. You know, that could explain why there were only female Octolings shown. Just a leftover from the original idea for the game.

Psycho_Wendigo

Resident World Devourer
NNID
PyschoWendigo
Octolings are pretty much confirmed at this point, they work too well in the game when modded in, having their own octopus-flavored specials and what not.

The amiibo stuff is all just speculation, with no basis, NWPlayer just swapped Orange's model with an Octoling

Nothing really new here

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
I don't "get" the hype for the Octolings.
Well for me, it's their cool 60's sytle tenta-hair, and their overall more curved, octopus-like design. the eyeshadow, and octarian king's music choices also make me think they're a bit goth (contrasting the preppy nature of inklings), hanging around in (literally) underground clubs. Also, I think the octarians have a more interesting story.

Squidna

Inkling
NNID
mootles
Octolings are pretty much confirmed at this point, they work too well in the game when modded in, having their own octopus-flavored specials and what not.
The octoling kraken is the exact same as the inkling kraken though?....Unless i'm blind.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
The octoling kraken is the exact same as the inkling kraken though?....Unless i'm blind.
The only difference is that it uses the Octopus travel form's animations.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
if anyone's interested, Nwplayer's account is back up. there's (i think) a new video with explanation in the desc.

NWPlayer123

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
NWPlayer1234
that's due to the octolings squid/octo form having different model rigging
Basically, the Squid and the Octo share the same animations, but since the Octo has 4 tentacles, two are hidden inside its body, and they have a data file that tells the game how much to offset each bone/tentacle so it can reuse animations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom