• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Anyone else notice this issue with Splat Zones?

SacredWarrior

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SacredWarrior88
Switch Friend Code
SW-5006-3355-6621
As someone who exclusively plays Splat Zones, one thing I notice a lot is that most of the stages have some type of pillar or pole right in the center of the zone which always gets in the way. Is this intentional by Nintendo due to certain specials like the Booyah Bomb being used a lot in Splat Zones?

Cephalobro

I haven't played Splat Zones in a long time, but I can still see a pole or pillar right in the center can be annoying, as I saw that even the Turf War version of Wahoo World now has one of those.

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
These were implemented as a band-aid fix to a whole ton of maps in an attempt to fix charger/splatling sightlines.

Largely, it didn't work very well and is a huge nuisance on maps like Wahoo World where the pole doesn't do anything to solve the sightline problem, but inhibits many other weapons.

SacredWarrior

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SacredWarrior88
Switch Friend Code
SW-5006-3355-6621
These were implemented as a band-aid fix to a whole ton of maps in an attempt to fix charger/splatling sightlines.

Largely, it didn't work very well and is a huge nuisance on maps like Wahoo World where the pole doesn't do anything to solve the sightline problem, but inhibits many other weapons.
That makes no sense. Chargers and splatlings are supposed to have sightlines! That's the whole point of using them!

Octo-crisp

Inkster Jr.

Do you think that the poles will be removed, if maps start receiving reworks?

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
Mincemeat Metalworks is probably the best map to demonstrate why something needed to be done. Better yet, let's just break down why Mincemeat is a bad map since I'm going to all the trouble.
Mincemeat Turf War Map.png
Here's Mincemeat Metalworks as of the latest patch.
Mincemeat Turf War Map No Pillars.png
Here's what it was like before.
Mincemeat got a relatively minor change with the addition of those two cars-on-a-pike. Why was this done? Let's look at the enemy's approach options.
Mincemeat Approach.png
There's effectively three ways to reach our side of the map, and since all maps have rotational symmetry, these options apply to us approaching them as well. The two options marked with a red X could have been options, but the walls are uninkable and can't be scaled, leaving us with A, B and C.
A is obvious - it's where most objectives are in ranked and is always populated.
B gives you high ground, but isn't exactly the stealthiest approach.
C has ample cover that make it the best approach option, but it's still far from ideal - we'll get to that.
For now, why was the car put where it was? Well, take an e-liter for a spin and cover all of the options you get there and it's pretty easy to see why.
Effective Range.png
Any spot covered in ink in this image is a place the E-Liter can shoot you. It goes without saying that anything behind the charger is also dangerous. Notice that almost all of A is covered, as well as our side's B. From that spot, though, the car blocks shots to B and C. B is still risky for reasons stated above, but this should make C a viable approach, right?
No approach.png
The area circled can be reached easily through route C, but you can't actually do much while here. Longer-ranged weapons can poke or kill the charger, but anything short-ranged can't do much with this space. The only way to approach the charger directly is to climb up and walk across the grate - an extremely dangerous move. Still, blocking B and C from the charger's sight is still a positive, right? The perch slightly behind the one in the demonstration can still reach B, but the car makes it so it can't reach C. Even though attackers can't do much with that, making B and C safer is only a good thing. Except... (continued)

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
Whoops, you can shoot there.png
Oops, an even worse place to leave open to shoot.png
Because of the way the car is positioned, there are openings to fire on B and C. While the car DOES still make them safer, a skilled E-Liter player can essentially bypass the very measure put into place to prevent it from being overwhelming. Whoops!

TL;DR - Mincemeat Metalworks shows us why weird pillars and poles have been placed everywhere and why they're an inconvenience at best and completely ineffective at worst.

Do you think that the poles will be removed, if maps start receiving reworks?
That's going to be heavily map-dependent, I think. Some of them are probably here to stay, others might be removed if they no longer serve a purpose.

Octo-crisp

Inkster Jr.
Effective Range.png

Any spot covered in ink in this image is a place the E-Liter can shoot you. It goes without saying that anything behind the charger is also dangerous. Notice that almost all of A is covered, as well as our side's B. From that spot, though, the car blocks shots to B and C. B is still risky for reasons stated above, but this should make C a viable approach, right?
Thank you! I'm already marked as a bookmark so I can revisit this information.
So routes B, and C are bad because put the player in a dangerous spot. By looking at the chart, the place where route C leads the player is a no-man zone, right?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
edit: The sentence was weird, so I decided to rephrase

Last edited:

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
By looking at the chart, the place where route C leads the player is a no-man zone, right?
Yes, that's right. It's frustrating - with a small change like an inkable wall, short-ranged weapons would be able to use it as a flanking method.

I think the question you asked re: the charger being safer because of the car was interesting, too, so I looked into that:
View.png
Poke.png
The car does indeed shield the charger a bit, but most weapons fighting from B wouldn't be able to reach it anyway. However, the angle the car is placed at allows any charger on B to counter-snipe from the trickier spots on that perch.

Octo-crisp

Inkster Jr.
That's interesting! It's good to know when playing with a Squiffer. I feel inspired to conduct some tests of my own. Here's what I have gathered so far.
  • it can throw lethal bombs from C to snipe, so I think it's worth running one or two sub power up abilities for this map.
Fv41n-zaYAAtALU (1).jpg
  • The inkjet can use the pile of scrap on the side, to get enough height to shoot on snipe over the pike with a car (I am not sure if that's a good thing)
Fv41n-0aMAAat1R (1).jpg
  • explosher can hit snipe from route C
Fv41uGfaQAAAQuv (1).jpg

These are some of the things that I discovered. I'm not sure if they are widely known by the community, but they have value as a quick reference.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom