• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Anyone still play Splatoon 1?

KayC

Inkling
I am new here. Can't believe it took me this long to find a Splatoon forum! Anyway, I can't afford the switch so I'm still playing Splatoon 1. The hacked and smurfed version now.

If anyone wants to play that's still on it tho, let me know.

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
I have a switch and Splatoon2 but sometimes I'm still playing Splatoon1 because I want to do the same thing what I made in Splatoon2, in Splatoon1: Reaching S+.

Calissant

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0729-8716-4971
I own Splatoon 2 but I bought a Wii U and Splatoon on eBay a few days ago because I want to experience playing the original. I missed out on the entire experience of Splatoon because I never owned a Wii U. Come to think of it, I've never seen nor touched a Wii U in real life. I just want to see what it's like.
So, I'll be playing Splatoon 1, if not just for a couple of weeks.

Cuttooth

Inkling
NNID
Cuttooth
i went back 2 it the other day cos i was curious

i played on moray towers and i couldnt believe how much smaller that version was lol

DJ Particle

Senior Squid
NNID
DJParticle
Switch Friend Code
SW-0728-9987-8856
I want to see if I can level cap Splatoon 1 before they shut off the servers.

Halfway there right now.

BirdyItty

Inkling
NNID
Funny2101
Switch Friend Code
SW-5944-5824-2398
I still play Sploon 1 every now and then, as it would be nice if I managed to get to S+ before they shut down the servers.

kidsquid17

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Firefin
Switch Friend Code
SW-5267-5861-7211
I own Splatoon 2 but I bought a Wii U and Splatoon on eBay a few days ago because I want to experience playing the original. I missed out on the entire experience of Splatoon because I never owned a Wii U. Come to think of it, I've never seen nor touched a Wii U in real life. I just want to see what it's like.
So, I'll be playing Splatoon 1, if not just for a couple of weeks.

that's dedication

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I played it a few days ago, just for old time's sake. Died to a seeker because i forgot touching them actually kills you in one hit, laffo.

I still stand by my point that the specials in the first game were way more fun to use. They felt like moment where you were in power, whenever it's you raining nukes with Inkstrike or start blasting hurricanes with Inkzooka they felt powerful. In the sequel it feels more like a glorified sub weapon.

I wouldn't have noticed this without playing, but the sounds in the second game are much better. Guns actually sound more like they're shooting goopy paint rather than bullets.

For those who haven't tried the first game yet, if you want much more powerful and fun specials and a ranked system that's harsh but fair I'd recommend it! Even if Splatfest is gone, now is a better time than ever!

Last edited:

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
I played it a few days ago, just for old time's sake. Died to a seeker because i forgot touching them actually kills you in one hit, laffo.

I still stand by my point that the specials in the first game were way more fun to use. They felt like moment where you were in power, whenever it's you raining nukes with Inkstrike or start blasting hurricanes with Inkzooka they felt powerful. In the sequel it feels more like a glorified sub weapon.

I wouldn't have noticed this without playing, but the sounds in the second game are much better. Guns actually sound more like they're shooting goopy paint rather than bullets.

For those who haven't tried the first game yet, if you want much more powerful and fun specials and a ranked system that's harsh but fair I'd recommend it! Even if Splatfest is gone, now's a better time than ever!
Yeah I went back to 1 the other day and the specials are way more fun to use. 2 specials don't feel very powerful at all. I get that the latter is better for competitive purposes though.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I still play Splatoon 1 on rare occasion. Its nice the fall back into the things that are no longer in the 2nd game- Such as certain Gear, Specials, Weapons, the works.

Of course I miss playing with Japanese players too, and Splatoon 1 lets that be possible. Its become such a rare thing in Splatoon 2 due to its new way of match making. So its nice to revisit them again.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
I play Splatoon 1 about as often as I play Splatoon 2; the ranked battle system on Splatoon 2 is just way too forgiving, which invalidates any ranking at all, as lower skill players can just grind their way to the top. (Actually ranking down is almost impossible.) I'm with others in that I want to finally reach S+; I can never get past the S 80, double-penalty wall.

I'm happy with the new specials, except two of them; the Stingray and Ink Armor. The Stingray is so obviously the worst while Ink Armor is so obviously the best that it hurts. The specials in the first game are all bullshit powerful, but they're all about even, unlike Splatoon 2 where I don't want to use the Splat Charger because it might as well not have a special at all. In fact, I'd say balancing might actually be worse in Splatoon 2 than it is in Splatoon 1, even if the game hasn't been out very long. You can't tell me with a straight face that the Goo Tuber can do anything better than another charger.

The absence of Japanese players is really odd in contrast to the first game where they made up about every player in an S rank lobby. Connectivity seems better though, but this may just be in my head.

Most will probably disagree with me, but I think Splatoon 2 is more different than it is better. I, for one, find the music was much better in the first game, along with many other aesthetic things. (Squid Sisters, especially after Nintendo Treehouse's ****ty Off the Hook localization.) There are also some gameplay things, like the maps, where each one felt different, unlike in Splatoon 2 (save Humpback Pump Track). Chargers and Rollers were just made worse when I don't think they needed to be, and possibly as a result, Shooters and Dualies make of 90% of the weapons used.

I was just expecting a little more after viewing the first teaser trailer for Splatoon 2. I got really excited upon viewing the dodge roll to later find out the ending lag kills much of it's utility, and that it can only be used for the Dualies, which should have been apparent to me but wasn't. I was expecting a little more from the Inkjet as well; I basically thought we were getting a faster paced Splatoon, but I realized I'm probably the only Splatoon player who is into Doom, Quake, Unreal Tournament, etc...

And pants. When we said we wanted pants, we wanted them in the same fashion as shirts, headwear, and shoes, not this 3 option, gender-locked (why?) nonsense.

Last edited:

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
I play Splatoon 1 about as often as I play Splatoon 2; the ranked battle system on Splatoon 2 is just way too forgiving, which invalidates any ranking at all, as lower skill players can just grind their way to the top. (Actually ranking down is almost impossible.) I'm with others in that I want to finally reach S+; I can never get past the S 80, double-penalty wall.

I'm happy with the new specials, except two of them; the Stingray and Ink Armor. The Stingray is so obviously the worst while Ink Armor is so obviously the best that it hurts. The specials in the first game are all bullshit powerful, but they're all about even, unlike Splatoon 2 where I don't want to use the Splat Charger because it might as well not have a special at all. In fact, I'd say balancing might actually be worse in Splatoon 2 than it is in Splatoon 1, even if the game hasn't been out very long. You can't tell me with a straight face that the Goo Tuber can do anything better than another charger.

The absence of Japanese players is really odd in contrast to the first game where they made up about every player in an S rank lobby. Connectivity seems better though, but this may just be in my head.

Most will probably disagree with me, but I think Splatoon 2 is more different than it is better. I, for one, find the music was much better in the first game, along with many other aesthetic things. (Squid Sisters, especially after Nintendo Treehouse's ****ty Off the Hook localization.) There are also some gameplay things, like the maps, where each one felt different, unlike in Splatoon 2 (save Humpback Pump Track). Chargers and Rollers were just made worse when I don't think they needed to be, and possibly as a result, Shooters and Dualies make of 90% of the weapons used.

I was just expecting a little more after viewing the first teaser trailer for Splatoon 2. I got really excited upon viewing the dodge roll to later find out the ending lag kills much of it's utility, and that it can only be used for the Dualies, which should have been apparent to me but wasn't. I was expecting a little more from the Inkjet as well; I basically thought we were getting a faster paced Splatoon, but I realized I'm probably the only Splatoon player who is into Doom, Quake, Unreal Tournament, etc...

And pants. When we said we wanted pants, we wanted them in the same fashion as shirts, headwear, and shoes, not this 3 option, gender-locked (why?) nonsense.
The maps don't seem as distinct as the first game, and I definitely agree about the pants, rip =(

AA Battery

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sunshinett
Yo también! I do not have a Switch, and I also want to make it to S+ while I still can, as making S-Rank is the only accomplishment I have ever achieved, and will be the only legacy I leave to my family. I also want to get a good feel for every weapon that exists, including ones that I don't normally play, even if it's a pointless gesture, with revised kits for returning weapons in the sequel and whatnot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member

I am new here. Can't believe it took me this long to find a Splatoon forum! Anyway, I can't afford the switch so I'm still playing Splatoon 1. The hacked and smurfed version now.

I still play!

Protohavn

Inkling
NNID
LunalaGryn
Switch Friend Code
SW-3071-3457-5817

I took a look after 100 hour of Splatoon 2 and I cant believe how little People with Rank 50 I encounter nowadays. Before the release of SP2 I always was thrown in R50-Only Parties. Also my deepest sympathy to everyone who can't get to own a Switch. I know how ya'll feel. Also I never encountered Hackers so far but i know what they are doing in the Game right now.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I assume a lot who don't own a Switch yet may still be playing. I personally don't, but still check this board from time to time.

LavaLeaf

Inkling
NNID
lolatlife
Oh heck, looks like I'm not the only one then! It seemed like everyone had migrated to S2. To help preserve the Splat 1 community after the release of Spla2n, I've actually created a Discord server where people can continue to find others to play with. I'd recommend checking it out to find squids in similar positions to you. The main thread is over at https://squidboards.com/threads/still-playing-sp1atoon-join-our-discord-server.31423/ , but you can join the server directly using https://discord.gg/4zSXBHs .

I hope to see you there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom