Anyone who has beaten Octo Canyon... (BIG SPOILERS)

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
How let down were you by the ending?

Because despite all the pre-release hype buildup with those stories, the Squid Sister subplot ended up not meaning anything in the long run.

Callie being brainwashed was just a meaningless afterthought of a "plot twist" that had no real significance at all.
Even during that battle, she was just there...just to be there, didn't do anything. (Sure doesn't help how easy that final battle was) And even after Marie frees her, she just vanishes completely and doesn't make herself any more useful from that point.
After you beat it, Callie still isn't anywhere. At least until you go for a rematch, in which case, you'll find out how pathetic she really is.

Splatfest or no, you can tell already that both their places in the story were last-minute decisions. ...Actually, it was because of that that they were. I think Nintendo just made us look like even bigger idiots for it.

Bottom line: It was all for nothing. They were just using Callie as bait.

P.S. Plus, no Cuttlefish anywhere. Baaaaaaawwwwww

speedySonic

Full Squid
Sure, it could have been much better, but I think it was amazing how it was presented. The Squid Sister stories did made it seem like this would be a big deal, so I understand why you're disappointed. But on its own, the final boss did a lot right presentation-wise. The music, the cutscenes, the dialogue, etc. The gameplay wasn't nearly as good as the original boss, and it would have been nice to have he lore more fleshed out (ESPECIALLY the presence of Off the Hook, which the Story Scrolls did nothing to clear up), but I wasn't disappointed by the final boss and actually enjoyed it a lot.

sunaku

Hello again!
Community Ambassador
NNID
yuuisim
Switch Friend Code
SW-3702-6418-1999
I have to wonder (and maybe rabidly hope) there will be some kind of DLC expansion to the story. The ending did feel kind of shoe-horned and rushed.

I wonder though, based on the suprise in Marie's voice lines at the end of the last Sp1atoon splatfest being suprised at winning, I wonder if Spla2oon's story was originally intended for Marie and Callie's positions to be switched. A lot of the lines Marie has feels like they should be Callie's, and the dramatic change in tone and personality while being brainwashed would have felt more impactful if Marie was the antagonist.

But that's probably just projection and speculation. It could just be that the writers didn't expect to have to write a continuation to this story after Sp1atoon took off.

All told, I was actually really happy that the squid sisters made a return and actually had some weight to their being members of Squidbeak, they certainly didn't write that tie off.

sunaku

Hello again!
Community Ambassador
NNID
yuuisim
Switch Friend Code
SW-3702-6418-1999
This too.

I was hoping that those two would be Agents 5 and 6.
Retrospectively, I'm kinda glad they stayed detached from it all. Makes me feel like being a part of that isn't just a given for important story characters.

But I will also admit that before hand I really wanted them to be a part of it too!

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
I wonder though, based on the suprise in Marie's voice lines at the end of the last Sp1atoon splatfest being suprised at winning, I wonder if Spla2oon's story was originally intended for Marie and Callie's positions to be switched. A lot of the lines Marie has feels like they should be Callie's, and the dramatic change in tone and personality while being brainwashed would have felt more impactful if Marie was the antagonist.
Do they even have any plans for a "What if Callie won" story to share with us?

Or was it literally just "(Losing team) has gone missing, so (winning team) needs your help to find her and the Great Zapfish"?

sunaku

Hello again!
Community Ambassador
NNID
yuuisim
Switch Friend Code
SW-3702-6418-1999
Do they even have any plans for a "What if Callie won" story to share with us?

Or was it literally just "(Losing team) has gone missing, so (winning team) needs your help to find her and the Great Zapfish"?
I don't want to feel cynical, but probably it was as simple as you describe... Either way, at the very least, they did make Marie a rather enjoyable character to be partnered with through the main storyline, and I grew to like her more than in the first game because she had this personality about her of being way in over her head and trying her hardest when everyone was gone. She made the best of a terrible situation, and I'll applaud the writers for making me feel invested and tearing up just remembering it AAAAUUGH

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
The 1p mode is the only flaw in Splatoon 2 for me. I was very let down by the lack of story, and especially the ending which did not really explain much. It was kinda lame that it was just hypnotism and not bitterness as was foreshadowed. It had a lot of potential to be a lot more epic at the end.

I also was really excited at the possibility of fighting Callie directly, but instead I just got a redo of the Splatoon 1 boss.

I do acknowledge that Splatoon 2 is primarily an online multiplayer game though, so obviously they put more effort into that aspect.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
The 1p mode is the only flaw in Splatoon 2 for me. I was very let down by the lack of story, and especially the ending which did not really explain much. It was kinda lame that it was just hypnotism and not bitterness as was foreshadowed. It had a lot of potential to be a lot more epic at the end.

I do acknowledge that Splatoon 2 is primarily an online multiplayer game though, so obviously they put more effort into that aspect.
If it was bitterness, and Callie actually hated Marie, I think I would cry myself to sleep for years.

sunaku

Hello again!
Community Ambassador
NNID
yuuisim
Switch Friend Code
SW-3702-6418-1999

You know that actually brings up a good point.

It feels like even the single player aspects of the game were in service to the multiplayer. From Sheldon needing "practical battle data before releasing new products" to having several cases of Octarian fights feeling like they re-used code from multiplayer and added basic AI it feels like the single player was just one big training exercise for multiplayer.

And you're right, it is a multiplayer experience, so at the very least the single player serves the main function of the game... It's just disheartening to see that despite that focus on multiplayer they've not had a lot of wiggle room to build a community inside the game that actually can communicate with one another beyond "Booyah", "This Way", and "Oops!"

But I'm rambling at this point, haha

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
If it was bitterness, and Callie actually hated Marie, I think I would cry myself to sleep for years.
Yeah, why do people always want it to be that? That would be way OOC for Callie.

it feels like the single player was just one big training exercise for multiplayer.
It pretty much is. That's how they pushed it most of the time.

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
What I envision is not straight out revenge from Callie herself.

Instead I imagined something like: Callie had some disappointment at losing the splatfest, but not so much that she would go off for revenge on her own. Instead, the Octarians notice her negative feelings and harness it to control her.

Why all the buildup of their friendships splitting apart if it was all just a kidnapping in the end?

sunaku

Hello again!
Community Ambassador
NNID
yuuisim
Switch Friend Code
SW-3702-6418-1999
Instead I imagined something like: Callie had some disappointment at losing the splatfest, but not so much that she would go off for revenge on her own. Instead, the Octarians notice her negative feelings and harness it to control her.
Callie was certainly gracious in defeat... makes me wonder how Pearl would take it if she lost a splatfest to Marina.

Though in service to your theory, I absolutely love it.

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
That's better than "She was so salty over losing the Splatfest she decided to willingly turn evil!!!!!1111", I'll give you that.

But I don't think DJ Octavio has time for any of that, especially not right after breaking out of his snowglobe.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
What I envision is not straight out revenge from Callie herself.

Why all the buildup of their friendships splitting apart if it was all just a kidnapping in the end?
It was mostly to provide character development for Marie. In the first game, she's portrayed as a snarky and overconfident individual who was mostly all for winning and could honestly be a bit harsh. The feelings of doubt and fear of Callie's resentment that she started to develop after the final Splatfest showed us that she actually genuinely cares about her cousin, and there's another side of her personality that we as the players didn't get to see on the surface. It was a reality that Marie feared, but it never actually came to be. It wasn't meant to either, it was meant to emphasize that Callie and Marie have a truly unbreakable bond as vitriolic best friends.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
How I feel...

This game made me hate Callie. This game made me hate her bomb rush song. This song turn into gibberish that sounded more, "humna, humna, wooh, wooh, woosh, bing, bing, nyah, nyah," while wanting to strangle the both of them. I went into the boss field with a low graded weapon, and was punished for it. This made it worst because I was too busy dodgy, and the song on an extended loop. I shouldn't of done this when I was tired, needed sleep. I'm a stubborn bull, but jeebus, SHUT UP YOU TWO DOLTS. I hate you DJ Octavio for being a total octopus with a tardy hipster glasses, and Callie, you radiate stink lines. Also, you, yes, you Sheldon. I wanted to use my dualies, but NOOOOOUUU...I had to use that gun. THEN IT BECAME SONIC ADVENTURE 2 QUICKLY WITH FINAL RUSH. SHELDON, WHAT AM I DOING WITH THE RAINMAKER? I GET TARGET PANIC ALREADY IN RANK. OKAY, KEEP CALM. JUST FEW MORE SHOTS. DED. FFFFUUUUU!

Next morning I wasn't the same.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
How I feel...

This game made me hate Callie. This game made me hate her bomb rush song. This song turn into gibberish that sounded more, "humna, humna, wooh, wooh, woosh, bing, bing, nyah, nyah," while wanting to strangle the both of them. I went into the boss field with a low graded weapon, and was punished for it. This made it worst because I was too busy dodgy, and the song on an extended loop. I shouldn't of done this when I was tired, needed sleep. I'm a stubborn bull, but jeebus, SHUT UP YOU TWO DOLTS. I hate you DJ Octavio for being a total octopus with a tardy hipster glasses, and Callie, you radiate stink lines. Also, you, yes, you Sheldon. I wanted to use my dualies, but NOOOOOUUU...I had to use that gun. THEN IT BECAME SONIC ADVENTURE 2 QUICKLY WITH FINAL RUSH. SHELDON, WHAT AM I DOING WITH THE RAINMAKER? I GET TARGET PANIC ALREADY IN RANK. OKAY, KEEP CALM. JUST FEW MORE SHOTS. DED. FFFFUUUUU!

Next morning I wasn't the same.
0_0

Stay... Fresh?

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I wasn't expecting something too complex to justify Callie there, the boss battle was easier but still fun. Seeing Marie "helping her to recover" was a fun factor to me.
I think the hidden scrolls enrich more the Splatoon world and story itself than those last scenes.

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
I really do hope they address any questions and concerns about this in any future interviews. Right now, it just feels like they're openly giving us the middle finger for doing that last Splatfest.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
I really do hope they address any questions and concerns about this in any future interviews. Right now, it just feels like they're openly giving us the middle finger for doing that last Splatfest.
I get worried this is going to happen with Pearl, and Marina, too. One of them is going to be 'evil' while the other one watches in the back, guiding you through the levels. I hope they just advance on the salmonid plot next time, and have it effect the inklings.

(Because the scrolls and plot on that had me intrigued.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom