Are Chargers bad

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
I was a staff user in Uprising as well, I'm familiar with the different tools available to them and their opponents. The fact that everyone could run the various super useful Powers is a rather large differentiator from Splatoon, though, as weapon sets here have set subs and specials. Along with that, while in Uprising your shot would charge simply by not using continuous fire for a while and thus you could focus on retreating and using your charge shot while moving, in Splatoon if you want to fire the powerful sniper shot you have to render your mobility next to nonexistent if you want to get a shot out, so you are much more of a sitting duck. I do agree that things may improve with time, but as each charger user is improving so will the users of other, easier-to-use weapons as well. The main reason I've been sticking to the charger myself is just to try to find each possible improvement I can make in my play.
If you would recall, Staves had the second-worst overall movement. Yes, they can move while charging, but not quickly enough to avoid Cont. Fire weapons without escape powers. (Low shot cancellation cont. fire weapons basically don't exist in the current meta so no blasting through their shots.) Chargers have the best movement across unclaimed/enemy territory, while Staves can only foxtrot along at a speed comparable to the second-slowest Blade. Chargers can move or jump just as quick as anything else to escape, while Staves need to bring costly powers to get away. Chargers' uncharged shots KO in two or three hits, while Staves need five to ten rounds of easily dodged/cancelled cont. fire to kill.

Biggest thing Staves have over Chargers is range. Unlike Chargers which only have above average range, Staves in general have the best range to charge time ratio in the game. But that's largely nullified by defense powers and cancellation weapons.

PolarisAegis

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kirbyfreek33
If you would recall, Staves had the second-worst overall movement. Yes, they can move while charging, but not quickly enough to avoid Cont. Fire weapons without escape powers. (Low shot cancellation cont. fire weapons basically don't exist in the current meta so no blasting through their shots.) Chargers have the best movement across unclaimed/enemy territory, while Staves can only foxtrot along at a speed comparable to the second-slowest Blade. Chargers can move or jump just as quick as anything else to escape, while Staves need to bring costly powers to get away. Chargers' uncharged shots KO in two or three hits, while Staves need five to ten rounds of easily dodged/cancelled cont. fire to kill.

Biggest thing Staves have over Chargers is range. Unlike Chargers which only have above average range, Staves in general have the best range to charge time ratio in the game. But that's largely nullified by defense powers and cancellation weapons.
The lack of range and lack of any defensive options combined with the increased difficulty of hitting a target with no real tradeoff still leaves the charger with a much worse position than a KI:U staff. It may be harder to kill your foe due to them having shields and warps, but those tools are equally available to you and serve you equally well. When you miss a charger shot because a foe suddenly started squidding towards you, trying to squid away does not serve you nearly as well due to your weapon being much more difficult to ink a path not as susceptible to random ink over your head cutting it off. Having higher elevation turns into a disadvantage when a shorter range weapon can simply spray randomly upward and have gravity do the job for them. I simply think that chargers have too much to risk for not enough reward when playing

ChivalRuse

Inkster Jr.
You basically have to already have an escape route set for yourself if you want any chance of escaping from a rapidfire loadout rushdown.

The ΩS

Retired
NNID
Renwin
They're so-so in Turf Wars. But good Chargers in Splat Zones is a sure fire way to keep my rank gain low. How am I suppose to get to them with three other Inklings covering said Charger user? And I'm not exactly great with Quelchers/Chargers either, so I find myself hitting on a wall once they pop in the match.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
The lack of range and lack of any defensive options combined with the increased difficulty of hitting a target with no real tradeoff still leaves the charger with a much worse position than a KI:U staff. It may be harder to kill your foe due to them having shields and warps, but those tools are equally available to you and serve you equally well. When you miss a charger shot because a foe suddenly started squidding towards you, trying to squid away does not serve you nearly as well due to your weapon being much more difficult to ink a path not as susceptible to random ink over your head cutting it off. Having higher elevation turns into a disadvantage when a shorter range weapon can simply spray randomly upward and have gravity do the job for them. I simply think that chargers have too much to risk for not enough reward when playing
You just said in your thread that the range wasn't a big deal... It's just as easy to hit unsuspecting opponents in Splatoon as it is in KIU, if not easier since the maps are so small. Actually, a big thing going for Splatoon is how your character always looks where you're aiming. Kid Icarus, not so much.

Reflect Barriers don't do you much good against a melee weapon, Bumblebee is useless against cont. fire, the invincibility doesn't last long enough to get another shot in, and you're limited to using three powers at once. Canceling your Quick Charge and Homing Boost/Slipshot/Invisible Shots is a terrible idea. Whereas a melee weapon with armor or a cont. fire weapon hard counters snipers.

If you need escape routes, why don't you make them? You have the ultimate escape route weapon. Actually, the act of reaching an area makes an escape route. What can any other weapon do when cornered? Shoot? By the time you're facing the right way you're dead regardless of weapon.

Not only will it take time for us to get optimal equipment, which is undoubtedly the way the game was balanced, there's also tons of unreleased weapons. They're clearly in the game already, so they've already been balanced for.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
I've been seen carrying my entire team on the back of my Squiffer. Just yesterday I backed the enemy team back to their base practically alone. (Killed 14 enemies that day, didn't even die... Also, top contributor with 1400 points)
I don't even camp out, I'm literally up close, and personal all up in your steeze like I'm some splatterstot user. (And I win the 1 on 1s against primary up close guns too)

Others may say that I could very well be just as good if not better with the aerospray RG (Real Gold *cough cough*) (actually, that's a line of thinking I expect from SmashChu tbh) I rely on the classic squiffer's sub weapon and it's bubbler. The sub weapon, point sensor, is my bread and butter. F*** the sprinkler btw, I kill that thing instantly. I bubble to escape and regroup, often to win 1 v 1s too. The aerospray does not have the toolset that gives me the game plan, and wearing clothes that show me where their ink mines are make that sub weapon useless IMO.
agreed about the squiffer.

where with other chargers my performance depends more on my team, when i play squiffer i become really aggressive and a team leader. i still have to watch my spacing and be extra careful around corners since a charger is still a charger, but i find myself taking the helm and doing well even when my team is not doing so great.

my only problem is that i don't really like either squiffer setup...

i hardly touch the point sensor at all (please somebody tell me if this is useful. it feels like it barely lasts at all and a poison bomb would accomplish the same exact thing but better) so i'm reluctant to use the normal squiffer despite its fabulous bubble shield. but the on the other side, while i like the proximity mines pretty well, i am NOT a fan of the inkzooka (especially on a charger that already shoots in straight lines).

i find myself using the logo'd squiffer more often simply because i use both abilities where i don't ever touch the sub weapon on the regular one... but i can't help but wish there was a better option.

even so, i cover a lot of ground, outrange rapidfire guns, and can outmaneuver other chargers.

chargers are definitely not bad, they're just a very different playstyle than the other weapon classes. getting kills gets you necessary ink-splats...
you just have to hone your aiming a bit. one tip is to learn NOT to aim at people until you're charged: aim nearby or where they can't see, then when you have a death-charge built, twitch your reticle over very quickly for the kill.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
agreed about the squiffer.

where with other chargers my performance depends more on my team, when i play squiffer i become really aggressive and a team leader. i still have to watch my spacing and be extra careful around corners since a charger is still a charger, but i find myself taking the helm and doing well even when my team is not doing so great.

my only problem is that i don't really like either squiffer setup...

i hardly touch the point sensor at all (please somebody tell me if this is useful. it feels like it barely lasts at all and a poison bomb would accomplish the same exact thing but better) so i'm reluctant to use the normal squiffer despite its fabulous bubble shield. but the on the other side, while i like the proximity mines pretty well, i am NOT a fan of the inkzooka (especially on a charger that already shoots in straight lines).

i find myself using the logo'd squiffer more often simply because i use both abilities where i don't ever touch the sub weapon on the regular one... but i can't help but wish there was a better option.

even so, i cover a lot of ground, outrange rapidfire guns, and can outmaneuver other chargers.

chargers are definitely not bad, they're just a very different playstyle than the other weapon classes. getting kills gets you necessary ink-splats...
you just have to hone your aiming a bit. one tip is to learn NOT to aim at people until you're charged: aim nearby or where they can't see, then when you have a death-charge built, twitch your reticle over very quickly for the kill.
Fellow Squiffer main here. I've used both pretty effectively, but the New Squiffer is my favorite for similar reasons.

Point sensors are very much team reliant. You see an enemy, chuck one at 'em and give a "come on!", hopefully a teammate will notice. They're also pretty good for scoping out blind corners because the explosion is so big. The Bubbler isn't as good as you'd think though, since the Squiffer can't do much chasing being a Charger.

Mines have a ton of uses. Escaping, defense, putting them down just before the floor gets covered by the enemy so it's undone, slapping one down before dying to take an enemy with you or at least undo your splat, or even using it to hear enemies coming at you before they're in range. The Inkzooka helps to deal with other snipers or long-ranged weapons, or when surrounded it's better then just dying. Not the best special but it has it's place on the weapon.

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
Chargers put in the right hands are a beast. If you focus on splatting enemies as well as the zone in splatzones. you allow your team to get the point. the more of the enemy team that is dead, the better for your team. (but chargers vary on some maps.) I feel like some maps they do really well, and other maps vs. smart players it's a struggle as you'll potentially get rushed on, or ambushed

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
As a charger main, chargers are amazing. Don't have them all unlock, but I will talk about the ones I do.

Standard/Replica - For a default weapon, it is still amazing.

It still has the Kill potential and range. Very good at both spreading ink and killing.

Splat bombs are good for getting spots you couldn't otherwise, as well as a "get off me" to your opponents.

Also, there is bomb rush, oh man bomb rush. Bomb rush is a game changer. It can easily cover a lot of turf in Turf War as well as splat zones. I think it is even better than Ink strike in splat zones as it is both unpredictable and spreads more ink. (Though with the downside of not being able to use it as often and actually having to be near the location).

Kelp: Sprinkler man. Sprinkler's inking ability is just amazing.Great distraction tool as well. Even though the killer wail is sub par, still a decent special for killing.

Classic: I prefer range, but even I can see the usefulness of a quicker charge time. Can handle itself in fire fights much better this way. Don't have any thoughts on New, since I don't see it that much.

Splatterscope - Well, it's basically a splat charger with more range and the ability to aim better at opponents. I prefer having a constant field of vision, but it should be helpful to some.

I have yet to unlock the eliter, but I want it.

Also, a random tidbit. On Walleye, it is better to go all out offensive I find, then camping on the boxes. The map is built for heavy offense. Dying isn't as big of an issue since the map is so small as well. Having a one hit kill gun on that map is insane.

Overall, the Default is my favorite with a soft spot for kelp.
Are you sure the splatterscopes actually have more range than the non-scoped variants?

OrenjiBoy135

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
OrenjiBoy145
Well, I brought up Rapid Firing to the community.

Rapid Firing lets you move at almost your natural running speed with the Charger while continuously firing forward. Just tap ZR repeatedly with the right rhythm.

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Inkster Jr.
Sheldon actually tells you that when you unlock the splatterscope that it has slightly more range.

Though, it is important to realize it isn't THAT much farther.
Speaking of which, is there any reason to prefer the non-scope chargers over their scope counterparts?

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Better peripheral vision, I'd imagine.
In a game as fast-paced as Splatoon and need to be aware of the terrain around you at all times, that's more important than you'd think.
It's not like snipers in other shooters that have unlimited range and really do need the zoom to see and target opponents at that range.

...Does the E-liter 3K have a scope?

ChivalRuse

Inkster Jr.
I see. So the downside is that you can't get a full charge and wait around for someone to wander into your field of vision because you lose a lot of vision when you look through your scope. Got it.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
I see. So the downside is that you can't get a full charge and wait around for someone to wander into your field of vision because you lose a lot of vision when you look through your scope. Got it.
Gotta be careful doing that though, you can barely move while charging and you make a laser sight visible to your opponents.

ChivalRuse

Inkster Jr.
Yeah but you can hide the laser and as long as your positioning is good, you're usually fine.

NLALEX

Inkster Jr.
NNID
NLALEX
I genuinely feel the chargers are much more viable for covering ground than people give them credit for. Fully charged shots give you a tremendously wide & long line, but the uncharged shots are also very good for covering smaller areas of ground if you shoot rapidly whilst strafing.

They're not easy to use, but they can be very advantageous if used correctly with the right conservatism. Keep your distance from opponents and enemy ink to avoid surprise attacks and you'll be surprised how well you'll do.

D3RK

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
I feel Chargers are really hit or miss... no pun intended. Compared to the other weapons they are in a league of their own in terms of the skill required. Anyone can pick up a rapid fire weapon and do well with them due to how forgiving it is to miss with something that hits 5+ times a second. The same can be said for Rollers, all you have to do is roll or fling ink at people, though they are a little harder to use and some stages can be difficult to move around on. In the right hands a charger is amazing and your team will enjoy the relief of constantly having to watch their backs. I recently started using the Squiffer and I instantly loved the gun. Most of the chargers just feel too slow for the current game modes or maybe it's just me playing them wrong but Squiffer felt perfect for my play style.

Are chargers bad? No, but most of the people using them are ;)
Also... motion controls are not mandatory to be good with chargers. Not everyone plays the same way so if sticks work best for you then use them. I personally don't use motion control because it just feels really awkward. However, I have played a lot of shooters and I am pretty good at twitch shooting so that kinda makes up for it I guess lol. Here is some of my gameplay with the squiffer for anyone interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTAMYxBoQ-w

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom