Are Ink Resistance Up & Tenacity worth it?

Luddoj

Inkling
I have been playing with my Ink Resistance Up kicks and my Tenacity Sporty Bobble Hat (because fresh, and because style, and because I rather level a gear up to level 3 than wear a gas mask with zero style points) with Tenacity. My question is, are those abilities actually worth my main slots? I have designed over 5 entire sets surrounding the most useful abilities, but I can't seem to make them work because the max amount of fully powered abilities you can have with all your 3 pieces of year is 6, and I usually consider 8 abilities to be the best you can have (Tenacity and Ink Resisntance Up included)

So I want to hear you opinions. I really don't care a lot for Turf War matches, I already have a gear and loadout for that. I'm trying to focus more on Splat Zones and Tower Control.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I have been playing with my Ink Resistance Up kicks and my Tenacity Sporty Bobble Hat (because fresh, and because style, and because I rather level a gear up to level 3 than wear a gas mask with zero style points) with Tenacity. My question is, are those abilities actually worth my main slots? I have designed over 5 entire sets surrounding the most useful abilities, but I can't seem to make them work because the max amount of fully powered abilities you can have with all your 3 pieces of year is 6, and I usually consider 8 abilities to be the best you can have (Tenacity and Ink Resisntance Up included)

So I want to hear you opinions. I really don't care a lot for Turf War matches, I already have a gear and loadout for that. I'm trying to focus more on Splat Zones and Tower Control.
I don't play with tenacity but I feel like it is a weird ability because it will only work if you are already at a disadvantage and on most games it is pointless. I try to pick abilities that I know I will use multiple times a match or that aren't situational. I might try tenacity later on and see what new abilities fit my playstyle. With shoes there aren't many options. I like ink resistance because it gives me a few extra seconds if I accidently step on a tiny bit of the enemy ink or if I am in a 1v1 and they shoot beneath my feet. I feel like they aren't the strongest ability out there but you do notice when you aren't wearing them. What are the other abilities you like to use for your head/feet? Also what weapons do you main?

Luddoj

Inkling
I play with Carbon Roller mainly, also, I go with Splatter Jr. for Turf War, and Splattershot Pro for everything else, if the stages are not good for rollers.

I would like to keep using Ninja Squid and Swim Speed Up, as they are a must for me. Everythyng else can vary.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I play with Carbon Roller mainly, also, I go with Splatter Jr. for Turf War, and Splattershot Pro for everything else, if the stages are not good for rollers.

I would like to keep using Ninja Squid and Swim Speed Up, as they are a must for me. Everythyng else can vary.
I think of the two previously mentioned abilities that tenacity is the less helpful (Except maybe during splatfest or late in the games life cycle when it struggles to fill up a full team.)

Luddoj

Inkling
Then I'll drop Tenacity but will stay with Ink Resistance. I'm really struggling to find gear that I actually like AND that is useful. I hate the fact that, sometimes, if you want to have good abilities, you have to sacrifice style.

And one last question. Are Quick Respawn and Ink Saver Sub worth it? Based on my weapons and all that, what do you think?

With Tenacity out of the picture, I would go for Saver Main, Saver Sub, Swim Speed, Ink Resistance, Ninja Squid, Quick Respawn and probably Special Saver or Charge Up.

Solar~Beam

Inkling
NNID
riot404
Ink Resistance is, if you care about stats over looks, the best ability on shoes you can run with. This is because, like stated before, its an instant speed debuff and health debuff when you step on even the smallest amount of ink, which can happen a lot. It makes basically every other shoe ability not worth running.

Tenacity is very strong as well. Its strength comes from the fact that it does not factor in how much your team is behind the other team; i.e. even if one person dies and the other team as all four alive, Tenacity will slowly fill your special bar. A lot of people knock on Tenacity in the same vein that they knock on Special Saver, in the sense of "I don't want an ability that only matters when I (or my team) am dying". But the fact is that while you have a fair amount of control over how much you die, the odds of no one on your team ever dying and the other team having more active players than yours is very slim. It will be happening multiple times per match and Tenacity fills your special bar for you FOR FREE by a substantial amount.

That said it's still a pretty slim benefit and you will only be missing out on a few more special fills if you were to switch to another head piece.

Inkster Jr.

Ink resistance is not as effective on rollers because they usually cover the ground in front of them with ink. However, It is a good ability apart from that, from what I have read. Ninja squid is quite effective on short range weapons such as the blaster and rollers.

Last edited:

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Uhm, Tenacity is really good. Every time one of your teammates die, you get meter for it. That's going to help you every game and it becomes more and more useful the more meter-building gear you have in general because Tenacity doesn't have diminishing returns.

Ink Resist is the best main shoe ability in the game, but everyone pretty much knows that by now.

What weapon(s) are you using? Your weapon's desire for meter kinda determines if you want to use Tenacity.

Pitero

Inkling
For head slot I'd go with what suits you the best; Want to move around faster - get swim speed, want to respawn quicker - get quick respawn etc. The most common used one would be Tenacity and while it's not bad, it's also not a must.

I'd rather choose Cold Blooded over Ninja Squid. Carbon roller indeed needs a stealthy play, but you can imitate the invisible moves by swimming slower. And you can't get rid of Point Sensors/Echolocators etc. the other way (They're still as common even after the update).

Ink Res. will help you in a lot of situations. As a melee myself it has saved my life too many times to change it for anything else.

What else abilities you could take? Bomb Range Up and Damage Up. Carbon Roller already has got a strong short range attack, so you can focus more on the Burst Bombs which take care of further enemies.

Test things out in the training zone and battlefield and choose what is best for you :)

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Ink Resistance is, if you care about stats over looks, the best ability on shoes you can run with. This is because, like stated before, its an instant speed debuff and health debuff when you step on even the smallest amount of ink, which can happen a lot. It makes basically every other shoe ability not worth running.

Tenacity is very strong as well. Its strength comes from the fact that it does not factor in how much your team is behind the other team; i.e. even if one person dies and the other team as all four alive, Tenacity will slowly fill your special bar. A lot of people knock on Tenacity in the same vein that they knock on Special Saver, in the sense of "I don't want an ability that only matters when I (or my team) am dying". But the fact is that while you have a fair amount of control over how much you die, the odds of no one on your team ever dying and the other team having more active players than yours is very slim. It will be happening multiple times per match and Tenacity fills your special bar for you FOR FREE by a substantial amount.

That said it's still a pretty slim benefit and you will only be missing out on a few more special fills if you were to switch to another head piece.
Well your special bar slowly fills by itself (albeit very very very very slowly) but it still feels like tenacity isn't that great when using it. It might be because I like to use weapons that spread ink pretty quickly so it might help charger type weapons or people who like to hide and ambush the opponents for kills? It really is dependent on playstyle and what you like.

Kryzz

Full Squid
NNID
Valdraya
Tenacity's usefulness kinda varies depending on the weapon you're using. I use it with the custom 3k. It depends quite heavily on kraken as a fallback, so having it charged when your team is down in numbers and the enemy is encroaching on your snipespot is ideal. Also since the eliter can't spread much ink, it's more useful on the whole than special charge up. Helps that the arrowbands are my favourite headgear appearance-wise too :cool:

Carbon roller spreads ink pretty well, but it's main skill is ambushing and since you use ninja squid I guess you hide in wait often, so obviously you've gotta consider tenacity will charge up your bar even while you're a squid. For Splattershot Jr I would go with special charge up instead though, since you'll be covering a lot of ground with it and inherently have a little more team survivability with the bubbler.

florence

Full Squid
i love tenacity. common misconception: tenatcity doesn't only work when a teammate disconnected, it also works when your team has more players waiting to respawn. and the bigger the difference in active teammates is, the more it works. i notice a huge difference in how quickly my special gauge fills up.

TheElite711

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Elite
This this and this! I've always loved Tenacity in all my games because of the fact that, since this is basically solo queue (unable to control who you play with), Tenacity was/is always my fallback plan. "Hey, my teammates sure are dying alot! Lemme just use my early special to possibly jump start us back into an aggressive position!"

I understand the thought of "Well if I gotta rely on my teammates not playing or dying, then whats the point of even depending on this skill?" Its just a great fall back plan in my opinion. If you do happen to get those kind of people, perhaps you can carry the team to a sweet victory or assist in it if it isn't that bad of a situation.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
I main the Splattershot Jr, and the Bubbler is more or less the main reason I've been keeping this thing for so long.
Being able to get the Bubbler as soon as possible is kind of a must, especially if your team is dying. It should be noted if you're using something with like, the Killer Wail, which is already really easy to get, it's not gonna be very useful for you.

Ink Res is amazing for getting away, the only reason I don't run it is because nothing matches my outfit.

Floati

Inkster Jr.
Honestly for a roller- I'd go tenacity over ink resistance. You'll get the inkzuka more often to deal with ranged threats and its pretty noticeable how much it helps imo.

MadMadMorgan

Inkling
Honestly for a roller- I'd go tenacity over ink resistance. You'll get the inkzuka more often to deal with ranged threats and its pretty noticeable how much it helps imo.
You can't really go tenacity over ink res since tenacity is only on headgear and ink res is only on shoes

jaddasroots

Inkster Jr.
NNID
jaddasbranch
Personally I think ink resistance for me is great as a sniper. You can't ink the ground at your feet as easily, and being able to swim through enemy ink splotches is super helpful when someone has gotten too close and you need to get away.

It's also great as a dynamo main. A dynamo's most vulnerable point is the windup for a flick of ink. The dynamo is already slow, and getting caught in enemy ink slows down that windup noticeably. Since you can't turn tail and run as fast as an inkbrush or even regular or carbon roller, I've found it really helpful to use ink resistance.

Floati

Inkster Jr.
You can't really go tenacity over ink res since tenacity is only on headgear and ink res is only on shoes
He's asking which of the 2 abilities to drop (if any) for other abilities he considers important (not one for the other)... For most rollers, I think tenacity would be more useful.

NouriZ

Full Squid
NNID
NouriZoo
Yeah, as shown in the video posted above, Ink Resistance makes such a huge difference it's not even funny. You basically are forced to run it if you want to do any good. You'll notice the difference the minute you start using it. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom