• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are Ink Resistance Up & Tenacity worth it?

Bolt

Inkster Jr.
NNID
EnderBolt
Tenacy user here, and let me just say that it's well worth it. Some main slots make almost 0 difference, but ever since I've started using Tenacy, the amout of specials I can use in a match has almost doubled. Well worth it.

TheElite711

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Elite
Plus with the recent nerf(?) to the Inkzooka (special gauge value raised to activate it), Tenacity can help make up for the longer time it takes to use it.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Plus with the recent nerf(?) to the Inkzooka (special gauge value raised to activate it), Tenacity can help make up for the longer time it takes to use it.
Thinking about it that might be why they nerfed Inkzooka and Echolocator a bit. Some matches it felt like the opposing team had echolocator after echolocator.

TheElite711

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Elite
They're the strongest specials in the game by far from what I've seen. Unfortunately for me, every time I get my special, I end up getting splatted just about every time. Doesn't matter what is going on in the map, fate has a timer for me in the upper right corner :(.

jaddasroots

Inkster Jr.
NNID
jaddasbranch
They're the strongest specials in the game by far from what I've seen. Unfortunately for me, every time I get my special, I end up getting splatted just about every time. Doesn't matter what is going on in the map, fate has a timer for me in the upper right corner :(.
I know that feel. But at least with Echolocator it's instant unlike the other specials and lasts after you die if someone splats you. That's something the inkzooka doesn't have, powerful special it may be.

TheElite711

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Elite
This is why the Echolocator is my personal favorite special. It benefits the entire team instantly, while the Inkzooka is dependant on how good you are at hitting your target (I'm not the best shot with it myself). Besides, I love support-like attributes, so Echo is perfect for me.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
So I tried tenacity with special charge up (and for a short time special saver, but I dropped that one) with the splash-o-matic (it's special is the only reason I touch that weapon) and it is so much fun. Still can't reliably win ranked matches with it but it definitely stalls the opposing team and covers a ton of ink on the ground. Its especially great for reaching the opponents side in Blackbelly Skatepark during rain maker and for covering the splatzone on Saltspray Rig.

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
How is echolocator one of the strongest specials? Everyone and their mother is running cold blooded, so I don't think it's that great.

But if coldblooded didn't stuff echolocator so hard, I would agree that it is one of the strongest specials.

Last edited:

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
How is echolocator one of the strongest specials? Everyone and their mother is running cold blooded, so I don't think it's that great.

But if coldblooded didn't stuff echolocator so hard, I would agree that it is one of the strongest specials.
Doesn't it kind of speak well of the special's power if many people feel the need to equip something to counter it? You're restricting their options before the fight even starts.

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
Doesn't it kind of speak well of the special's power if many people feel the need to equip something to counter it? You're restricting their options before the fight even starts.
No other main ability offers that kind of power (except maybe Ninja Squid).

If I had to choose between being almost untrackable or being able to have my special a whole whopping 12 points earlier, you better believe me (and most of the splatoon community) are going to go with it.

Even if echolactor sucked, coldblooded would still have more utility than any other main shirt slot.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
Both are very decent, While tenacity is something you will just want if you want your special quickly, Ink resitance up can fit in almost every build as stepping in enemy ink is actually pretty common.

jaddasroots

Inkster Jr.
NNID
jaddasbranch

Do alot of people really use coldblooded? I only use it in turf wars when I use weapons I like to infiltrate with, like the inkbrushes. Other than that I haven't seen noticed many people use coldblooded.

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
Do alot of people really use coldblooded? I only use it in turf wars when I use weapons I like to infiltrate with, like the inkbrushes. Other than that I haven't seen noticed many people use coldblooded.
It's more popular in ranked mode, but it's even more popular in squad battle, since almost every squad I've fought have had at least one echolocator.

Luddoj

Inkling
I managed to upgrade my Sporty Bobble Hat to have Tenacity + 3 Sub Quick Respawn, and now I'm using it for Rainmaker mode, and it's working out great. I don't really like Rainmaker that much because of how disorganized it can get, and because people actually don't know how much strategy is involved, but anyway, I'm not here to rant, but actually to say that in a mode as Frenzy and as chaotic as Rainmaker, Tenacity works great if you manage to keep yourself safe. Weapons with Echolocator benefit the most from this ability, since it's fairly easy to get it, even without Special Charge Up (which I have noticed that it's actually pretty good as well so I'm using it in exchange of Tenacity on some modes like Turf War, just for the Inkstrike)

Now, in regards of Ink Resistance Up, after watching the video @jaddasroots shared, I'm more than convinced that that ability is God Tier material. The difference is abismal, to say the least, and with all the new gear included in the 2.0 update, thare are now different gear with Ink Resistance Up on their main slots, and very useful potential sub-abilities thanks to their brands.

Still, as mentioned above, I only found Tenacity useful in Rainkmaker, since I use the Sporty Bobble Hat and it has Tenacity as Main, and 3 Sub Quick Respawn which actually help me get to the action faster. In other modes, I prefer to wear something that has Ink Saver Main or Quick Respawn as their main.

I'm still testing with many different loadouts to check for the one that benefits the most from these abilities, but it doesn't help that I already spent all my Super Sea Snails and getting 30,000 coins is not THAT easy.

NikeXTC

Inkling
NNID
NikeXTC
I guess Tenacity is particularly useful if you rely a lot on your Special. I've been using it A LOT, since I'm a main Krak-On Roller squid and everything that charges my kraken faster is welcome. This is especially true in some Ranked modes, Rainmaker and Tower Control, and that was part of your initial question.

I pair it with Special Saver (3 sub on Black Arrowbands plus another gear with it as main) and in fast games it can really make the difference.

TheElite711

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Elite
My point exactly. It's so strong that it takes a main ability slot to properly go against, but even then that second or so it reveals someone may be enough to make an effective move against.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Tenacity is great. It's a skill that rewards you for staying alive, which is the most important thing you can do in the game. If you don't get any use out of it, then that means your team is probably already winning anyway. If the teams are almost equal, you will get more than enough use out of tenacity's charging ability so long as you play well. It goes best with sets you want to focus fairly hard on the special with, and I'd usually switch it out for something else on sets where I don't feel the special is as worthy of constant use with.

Ink resistance up is similarly really good. it makes it a lot easier to stay alive in just the situations where you need that sort of boost. Said situation also happens constantly and almost every single match. I'd almost say it's a staple, really.

EarthBoundEnigma

Inkster Jr.
I run tenacity and spam special charge up, since the two abilities compliment each other, because special charge up reduces the special meter size, allowing tenacity to max you out sooner.

As for echolocator, I consider it as a no-fuss instant ink refill with a bonus maphack.
Few specials allow you to just continue playing as usual, before giving you your free tank refill.
It also allows you to start charging your next special while it is still active, sometimes even allowing you to use it back-to-back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom