Are you Casual or Competitive?

Do you play the game Casually or Competitively?

• Only Casual

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Both but mostly Casual

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Both Casual and Competitive

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Both But mostly Competitive

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • Only Competitive

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I approach every game I play with a competitive mindset, but I'm not currently on a team and I'm juggling a few other games I'm more focused on actively competing in, so I'm not really involved with the competitive scene. I was on a team for a little while but dropped off, still deciding if I want to commit to trying again, or stay casual and focus my grind elsewhere.

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
I used to be competitive, as in I was part of a few teams, played in several tourneys and played in a season of LUTI with my last team.

The mindset doesn't really leave you even after you quit playing competitively though. Maybe it's just my experience, but I've found that once I've been exposed to the competitive side of a game, it's really hard to go back to playing casually, for better or worse.
this is the big thing yeah, you never truly "un-learn" the things you learn when you dip your toes into any deeper community, its not even just a competitive splatoon thing, its a human thing. Knowledge gained is never truly lost. until you get old and develop dementia at least

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
honestly i dont even know what type of "comp" were talking about anymore, if anything im surprised theres so many competitive players

comp as in people who have a competitive mindset in casual gamemodes, comp as in anything thats not turf war, comp as in people who are part of the game's c

i hope that "casual" here doesnt mean "turf war only" because anarchy is definetly part of casual lmao
To be fair the main people who made pushes for people to come back here were mostly strictly competitive sources(Squid SchooL, LUTI, etc)

And I don't fully agree that Anarchy is part of casual, maybe at low ranks sure but once you get to like low A in order to continue to see sucess you usually need to step back and start reviewing yourself and forming good habits often used in organized games(ex: watching the HUD for specials, pinging this way more often to signal important details, etc)

arias

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
she/her or he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2421-7847-3701
To be fair the main people who made pushes for people to come back here were mostly strictly competitive sources(Squid SchooL, LUTI, etc)

And I don't fully agree that Anarchy is part of casual, maybe at low ranks sure but once you get to like low A in order to continue to see sucess you usually need to step back and start reviewing yourself and forming good habits often used in organized games(ex: watching the HUD for specials, pinging this way more often to signal important details, etc)
ohh i almost forgot why the forum was revived in the first place lol

also it depends on what kind of "casual" were talking about

like yes you need a competitive mindset to get to and above S+, while S and below can be considered to be the "more casual side" of anarchy

but i meant competitive as in "competitive scene"... people tend to throw around the word competitive too much and also tie it into anarchy because turf war onlys view anarchy as something way more "serious" than it actually is, maybe because of how s2 ranking worked
but now the rank system is practically useless and you cant naturally derank anymore, so anarchy means way less than it ever did lol

tldr i mean that anarchy is part of casual gameplay because its not part of the competitive scene

Beckett.

Semi-Pro Squid
i would say im competitive but ive never actually played in a tournament. i have comp knowledge and i formed a team that ended up disbanding bc no one was active. rn i am improving so i can find a team.

Skoobz

Inkling
I play the game competitively but I do enjoy playing casually as well. I just recently played with the Sunset Surge server where we ran only weapons with sprinkler in a PB. It was a very funny time.

Piggy

Inkling
Pronouns
they/any
Only casual, I mostly enjoy turf war, salmon run and tableturf.

I never set foot on anarchy/ranked because I thought it was the more competitive mode, but I've been told that unlike turf war it has matchmaking and in lower ranks it's very casual (I even saw someone refer to it as "the kiddie pool") so I'll try it out some time since turf war tends to get a little too intense.

I just wish there was turf war in anarchy, or at least a more casual turf war mode for people like me who like to play a little more relaxed.

Coastline

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3538-6274-5019
i do play in comp, im currently forming my own team rn and we’re gonna start practicing and playing in tournaments soon. but i can still enjoy the game on a casual perspective, when i play with friends and we run stupid weapon comps or play turf

Pix

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Pixxyofflames
Switch Friend Code
SW-0436-5764-8697
as someone who still loves parties and such, i still think of myself as kinda casual... but im absolutely a competitive mindset player, hah!unsure how far in the comp direction i lean, though!

Mazumie

Inkster Jr.
now i’m questioning what OP meant with the question… does ”competitive” mean “plays on a dedicated comp team” or just “has a competitive mindset while playing the game”
This is why I don’t necessarily like the way people use competitive. I feel like people often use “competitive” to describe a player who is on a team and plays in events. But competitive is so much larger than that. Not that OP was wrong to ask it’s a fine question.

Before I was on a team I played to get better, to improve, to be the best Sploon player I could be at that moment in time. I think there are many others who fit that description but don’t play with a “competitive” team.

(Gawsh here I go talking about how the semantics of the Sploon community bug me, *again*)

guster-animations

Pro Squid
Pronouns
they/them
This is why I don’t necessarily like the way people use competitive. I feel like people often use “competitive” to describe a player who is on a team and plays in events. But competitive is so much larger than that. Not that OP was wrong to ask it’s a fine question.

Before I was on a team I played to get better, to improve, to be the best Sploon player I could be at that moment in time. I think there are many others who fit that description but don’t play with a “competitive” team.

(Gawsh here I go talking about how the semantics of the Sploon community bug me, *again*)
i wouldn’t take it quite so seriously. “comp” refers to players who play on a team and in tourneys, “casual” refers to players who don’t
yes it’s confusing but that’s all there is to it

NTDO_SPLAT

Inkling
I've found myself very much within a mixture of the two. I enjoy playing within tournaments, discussing the game, watching/learning from top players, etc;
But i simply have no desire to climb the competitive ladder. Im content where I am, having a good time w/friends and generally not having to pressure myself to take the game "more seriously" per say. I still want to learn, but im p well done w/being stressed about my skill level.

ig atm i just care about having fun a bit more than actively improving

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom