Best overall weapon in Turf Wars?

D

Deleted Member

What is the best overall weapon in turf wars? This is considering ink coverage per second, offensive capabilities and specials/subs.

Box

Pro Squid
As of right now, the Tentatek Splattershot seems to be at the top.

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
There's not really a specific best.

Aerospray and Splattershot Jr are the best for pure coverage. I think the Brush and Splash-o-matic are also similar in that regard.
Splattershot, .52 Gal, and N-Zap slightly outrange the above weapons, but cover slightly less.
Then you have Squelchers, the Pro, and .96 Gal for a similar tradeoff compared to the above. But also ink efficiency starts getting really bad.

Personally I prefer the Aerospray MG for the Seeker/Inkzooka combo for killing potential, but RG's Inkstrike is better for pure turf coverage.
Tentatek Splattershot has a similar loadout and is a very solid all-around choice. Good coverage, efficiency, range, and kill speed, all with or without special gauge but that certainly helps.
Other two fan favorites are the Krak-on Roller and Splattershot Jr because turning invincible is always great. Jr. might suffer a bit in kill potential outside of Bubbler, but Rollers are great stealth killers.

Then basically any of the Gals counter all of the above. Both .52 loadouts are solid, and the .96 has a sprinkler to cover everything while you kill with the sheer power of the gun itself (Echolocator mainly just to refill ink).

I'm not feeling much for the others, honestly. Too many penalties for the benefits. Maybe in Splat Zones, though.

Bread

Inkling
NNID
Iceformation
What is the best overall weapon in turf wars? This is considering ink coverage per second, offensive capabilities and specials/subs.
Anything with a high fire rate/Inkstrike. In that sense, the Aerospray RG is hands down the best with the fastest fire rate in the game and being that it has Inkstrike.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
Hands down, the Aerospray RG is the best weapon for covering terrain in ink. That fire rate, plus awesome spread PLUS inkstrike make it the best weapon ever for Turf Wars. Also, the mine is good for extra points every once in a while. Set it in an obviously highly traversed area and you basically get free points; if it's hit with opposing ink, you ink it back getting points. If it's stepped on, the person who stepped on it likely had some ink laying around them, free points!

Box

Pro Squid
You don't want to be an Aerospray noob. That weapon and the RG variant in particular are free kills for anything with decent range.

redfeatherraven

Inkling
You don't want to be an Aerospray noob. That weapon and the RG variant in particular are free kills for anything with decent range.
Sure, if you stand still.

He's right, though, you don't want to be an Aerospray noob. If you pick the gun up, you need to expect to operate more hit-and-run, ambush-style tactics. Box is correct that it loses a straight firefight with anything that outranges it. This doesn't make it a bad gun per se, it just means you don't get into straight firefights. In Turf Wars, optimally, you don't get into any firefights at all; you honestly rarely need to.

@Box, specifically addressing your suggestion of Tentatek, I disagree in Turf Wars. It does well, it's a very good choice - but I can outscore it with an RG any time, any place, any wielder. In Splat Zones on the other hand it's a menace in the best sense, and doing very well.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
@Box, specifically addressing your suggestion of Tentatek, I disagree in Turf Wars. It does well, it's a very good choice - but I can outscore it with an RG any time, any place, any wielder. In Splat Zones on the other hand it's a menace in the best sense, and doing very well.
consider that outscoring in turf isn't the whole story. every time you die, your contribution to the team shrinks; the turf you've inked gets inked back. you get high scores because you're constantly inking and re-inking the same turf, whereas something like a charger can take a large area of the map and completely seal it off to the enemy team (see saltspray).

also since turf is determined in the last 15 seconds, something that can reliably get to the mid, win 1v1s, and push forward is always going to be effective. aerosprays can't reliably break out of a spawn camp. tentateks can.

redfeatherraven

Inkling
consider that outscoring in turf isn't the whole story. every time you die, your contribution to the team shrinks; the turf you've inked gets inked back. you get high scores because you're constantly inking and re-inking the same turf, whereas something like a charger can take a large area of the map and completely seal it off to the enemy team (see saltspray).

also since turf is determined in the last 15 seconds, something that can reliably get to the mid, win 1v1s, and push forward is always going to be effective. aerosprays can't reliably break out of a spawn camp. tentateks can.
I'll concede most of those points, but I've won more than my fair share of turf with a last-minute push. And the only time I've ever been spawn camped successfully is in a 3v4 or worse. I run Recon equipment and go where my enemy isn't.

I will say, however, that you don't want too many Aerosprays on a team simply because it is so awful in a firefight and most people don't run ambush builds to counteract that. One is great, two is tricky, three is troubling.

I won't be bold enough to say that Aerospray is the best weapon in Turf; I think that's actually a very hard call, since in my experience success in Turf has depended more on team makeup than any individual gun. Give me two to three competent people who can hold their own in a firefight and one to two competent people that can near-exclusively take turf and/or disrupt movement, and I'll give you a win whatever they're holding.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
I'm not sure that there is any 'best' weapon - it will be down to the player, and how they play best. The blasters with middling range and middling coverage (as opposed to good range + poor coverage, or poor range + good coverage) are obviously good all-rounders though, simply because they lack the serious weak spots of the other variants. But the other weapons can still shine in the right hands.

The aerospray clearly has the most potential in terms of straight up coverage, and so racking up $$$, but it's a mistake to think that high scores always indicate that a player has performed well - as flc said, you can ink a lot ground without really helping your team, if you're being covered up as much as you're inking and/or failing to push forward. Also, if an aerospray player struggles to hold their own in a fire fight - which is tricky with the aerospray and requires some quite specific tactics - then they'll spend a lot of time respawning and won't help their team at all. So I think that, generally, the aerospray's clout in turf wars is easily exaggerated.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
It's a tough call between Tentatek Splattershot, Aerospray RG and Splattershot Jr. in my opinion. Tentatek is the best allrounder while the other two are best for racking up very high turf scores. Aerospray is more offensive and Jr. is more defensive. You definitely don't want to be in a team which consists only of the latter two, so Tentatek might actually be superior.

I prefer more offensive/long range weapons even in Turf War, though, as I like to keep up my 4-1 - 6-1 KD ratios.

V-kun

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
V-kunGX
I just got the splattershot pro yesterday.. I haven't used it in battle yet but from the test run i did, it looks pretty solid at the moment. I'm level 10 though so it's as strong as i can get for now. I imagine that it staves off players well so you can hold your coverage of inked areas.

redfeatherraven

Inkling
It's a tough call between Tentatek Splattershot, Aerospray RG and Splattershot Jr. in my opinion. Tentatek is the best allrounder while the other two are best for racking up very high turf scores. Aerospray is more offensive and Jr. is more defensive. You definitely don't want to be in a team which consists only of the latter two, so Tentatek might actually be superior.

I prefer more offensive/long range weapons even in Turf War, though, as I like to keep up my 4-1 - 6-1 KD ratios.
I'd actually put Aerospray more as a defensive weapon and Splattershot Jr. as an offensive; The Jr's far superior aim, plus the ever-beloved Bubbler, give it advantages in a straight fight the Aero simply can't touch, even with things like MG's Inkzooka.

I'd concur that you don't want an all Aero team (you will not get four sufficiently devious players together until August, I promise), but I think you might actually do alright with an all Jr. squad if everyone was competent.

SHUTupNrocK8

Pro Squid
NNID
SHUTupNrocK8
I've used some rapid fire weapons differing in range and fire rate, they seem to have great coverage and give you the ability to travel fast while going in between inkling and squid forms while shooting ink at your feet. To get to the middle quickly, especially on Arowana Mall, you could use the Seeker and swim behind to quickly ink mid. As for myself, I'm absolutely loving the Splat Roller. I don't care what anyone says about it, I love it. I've learned to somewhat play well with it, and as with any weapon, the more you play with it you'll get better and better.

Overall, I don't think there is a "best" weapon for any game type. I mean, in literal terms, there may be, but I feel everyone needs to find a weapon / class they really love using even if you're not good with it at first. Constantly use it and you'll eventually understand it, how to play well with it, and you'll be have a blast splatting n00bs :3.

DaisyFan

Pro Squid
Jr is good for pushing since the bubble can be in good use in group. .52 Gal is good for holding/defense.

DaisyFan

Pro Squid
oh i really didn't pay attention of the thread name, i find Jr and Aeropray good for turf wars.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I see a lot of weapon variety now that more people are levelled highly enough to get all the weapons. Sometimes I see swarms of Aerosprays or Krak-Ons, but for the most part I see Squelchers (especially the Dual one), .52 Gals (my main), Splattershots (love me that Tentatek), Splattershot Pros. I see less Chargers and Blasters but that's mainly due to how hard they are to use. I've been pinned down by a good sniper in Turf Wars, and they didn't have a lot of points, but they kept me and my team from winning. I see a good mix, and the success of the team is not predicated by weapon type alone.

If that were true, I'd have won every game I played on an all Aerospray team, or lost to said team every time. Neither has been the case, and the nightmare of 4 opposing rollers from the Testfires is long a thing of the past.

So really, the overall "best weapon" for Turf War is whatever weapon the best player is using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom