• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Best ways to practice new weapons?

Captain Ahab

Inkling
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
NA
Switch Friend Code
SW-2202-8182-2350
Hello there!
I'm a little curious how more dedicated players, or those who are leaning into that area, practice weapons they're unfamiliar with? It's been a struggle trying to figure out my proper niche, and while I know it's partially because I only play with randos due to some struggle with college schedules, I want to find more ways to keep practicing.
Any advice? I appreciate reading this regardless.

QueueS

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-7686-7152-6216
For me it helps to watch top level players playing that specific weapon. It can be a little hard to find someone for every weapon but there should be someone out there. After that I try to copy what they do and adjust based on what works or not.

zyf_

Pro Squid
usually the general difficulty curve is
1) make sure you can use the weapon comfortably in training room
2) open with friends
3) open/series by yourself
4) x rank if you have it
5) scrims if you're competitive
6) tournaments if you're competitive + have teams

sevenleaf

Pro Squid
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
yeah, echoing what some others have said, the best ways to learn a new weapon IMO are 1) studying more experienced users of that weapon/any guides for it that might exist and 2) trying it out in low-stakes matches.

turf is often the go-to for the latter since the only stakes are weapon freshness and making your overall W/L ratio look good, but if you typically play ranked (whether in a competitive setting or not) it honestly might be better to practice with open. particularly if the weapon you’re trying to learn isn’t known for its paint output… for example, i was trying out carbon deco a while back (mostly in preparation for the first Too Many Trizookas run) and found it near impossible to effectively practice in turf, but i was able to meaningfully practice with it in anarchy open.

squid-lesbian

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
she/her
Switch Friend Code
SW-7740-0630-6914
I'm pretty much one tricking tetras, so I actually kinda struggle to give other weapons a chance even.
However, I'm a big Salmon Run fan, and I think to a certain degree that can actually help you. Obviously the weapons don't all play exactly the same, especially since you always have splat bombs and random specials, but you can grow a little accustomed to every main weapon without having to decide for yourself what you want to go with.
Another thing I do, even if that's mostly to grind weapon tickets, is that I forbid myself from playing my main in turf war, especially during Splatfests. That way I get the actual kits, and one-starring every weapon is usually enough to see if I can see myself putting more work into this weapon.
Then I'll take it to ranked and maybe play around with it in scrims, if my teammates are fine with it.

Bennet

Inkling Cadet
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
equip it go to the shoal or the lobby and just practice hitting the targets or go into a private battle and practice there

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Hello there!
I'm a little curious how more dedicated players, or those who are leaning into that area, practice weapons they're unfamiliar with? It's been a struggle trying to figure out my proper niche, and while I know it's partially because I only play with randos due to some struggle with college schedules, I want to find more ways to keep practicing.
Any advice? I appreciate reading this regardless.
The training room and salmon run can be useful for figuring out the mechanics of a weapon, but to understand and get used to a weapon's playstyle, you really just need to play ranked. Learning a weapon and using it do not have to be two separate things. As you play soloq, test to see what works and what doesn't, and keep doing the stuff that works.

Bennet

Inkling Cadet
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
The training room and salmon run can be useful for figuring out the mechanics of a weapon, but to understand and get used to a weapon's playstyle, you really just need to play ranked. Learning a weapon and using it do not have to be two separate things. As you play soloq, test to see what works and what doesn't, and keep doing the stuff that works.
no, ranked is a good way to get your current rank all the way down to C-

zyf_

Pro Squid
gonna have to disagree with this bennet individual theres only so much you can learn in the training room

i would say playing it in anarchy open with friends is probably more responsible than taking it into like
series or x rank or something

though if you have x rank you're probably alright enough at anything to survive

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom