Bloblobber...game Changer?

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Is H-3 the standard for weapon balance, cause a lot of weapons are better than it, do they all need to be nerfed aswell? :p
It actually kind of is. The H-3 is kind of the definition of a high risk high rewards weapon. It isn't used as often because of the risk, but the reward is worth it for those to get truly good with it.

Being able to splat an opponent at the same speed as a normal Splattershot but with range equal to the Splattershot Pro. But the catch being that it is a burst fire and you need to get the three burst shots in for that fast KO, and it comes with end lag before you can fire again.

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
It actually kind of is. The H-3 is kind of the definition of a high risk high rewards weapon. It isn't used as often because of the risk, but the reward is worth it for those to get truly good with it.

Being able to splat an opponent at the same speed as a normal Splattershot but with range equal to the Splattershot Pro. But the catch being that it is a burst fire and you need to get the three burst shots in for that fast KO, and it comes with end lag before you can fire again.
Well that can't be the case to Nintendo cause like I said there are plenty of weapons considered stronger that are allowed to remain as such.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
After a few days of play, I don’t think its OP and it should not be nerfed. It does have OHKO potential, but its really pretty hard to do unless the other player is right in front of you and even then its not a very forgiving hitbox. Its great for area control but its overall turfing ability is just average so it doesn’t really churn out specials all that fast. And now that the initial excitement has passed you don’t see teams of 3-4 any more and when you’re the only bloblobber on a team its much harder to overwhelm the enemy with blob lobs everywhere. I think its a great new weapon that does something other weapons can’t do, but that doesn’t mean it should be nerfed, it just opens up the way the game can be played for everyone.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Well that can't be the case to Nintendo cause like I said there are plenty of weapons considered stronger that are allowed to remain as such.
Going down the list, most weapons do come with their pros and cons that balance them all out in the end. Some of those pros may be favored over some of the cons, but they both exist to make sure the weapon isn't completely breaking the balance.

Rapid Blasters, the meta weapons not long ago came with the glaring flaw that they really are only good at optimum range and are still fairly slow killers, somebody able to rush them quickly (like dualies) or find themselves in a situation where they can outrange them were the weapons clear Achilles Heel. Other weapons simple do things by the books, they aren't trying to achieve anything extreme.

Even the Ballpoint Splatling comes with a lot of weird technical things, like its very short ranged bursts for its initial and long charges, it still being outraged by other weapons in its class on both modes. The high accuracy being a blessing and curse to the weapon. While it does lean towards the more pros thans cons side, it still doesn't compare to how weird the Bloblobber is in that regards. Then is the simple fact, it's still a Splatling doing many of the basic things you'd expect from a Splatling, it was never that earth shattering.

The Bloblobber on the other hand simple does too much. It may certainly have its weaker points, but the simple fact is, its pros are too extreme while its flaws or even just general performance issues don't amount to an adequate amount to really say this weapon is "balanced". Even if this weapon doesn't end up going competitive, there is still its general balance.

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Going down the list, most weapons do come with their pros and cons that balance them all out in the end. Some of those pros may be favored over some of the cons, but they both exist to make sure the weapon isn't completely breaking the balance.

Rapid Blasters, the meta weapons not long ago came with the glaring flaw that they really are only good at optimum range and are still fairly slow killers, somebody able to rush them quickly (like dualies) or find themselves in a situation where they can outrange them were the weapons clear Achilles Heel. Other weapons simple do things by the books, they aren't trying to achieve anything extreme.

Even the Ballpoint Splatling comes with a lot of weird technical things, like its very short ranged bursts for its initial and long charges, it still being outraged by other weapons in its class on both modes. The high accuracy being a blessing and curse to the weapon. While it does lean towards the more pros thans cons side, it still doesn't compare to how weird the Bloblobber is in that regards. Then is the simple fact, it's still a Splatling doing many of the basic things you'd expect from a Splatling, it was never that earth shattering.

The Bloblobber on the other hand simple does too much. It may certainly have its weaker points, but the simple fact is, its pros are too extreme while its flaws or even just general performance issues don't amount to an adequate amount to really say this weapon is "balanced". Even if this weapon doesn't end up going competitive, there is still its general balance.
Why would an OP weapon ever not be used in an environment that generally uses only the best options? You would take how a weapon looks on paper over real world results? Also I hope you're not saying all weapons are balanced cause that's definitely not true, some are simply better than others. A weapon doesn't need to be earth shattering, weird, or subverting expectations to be strong. I'm not saying the Bloblobber is balanced, just that it isn't superior to the strongest weapons.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Here's the thing, at our current state. There are no truly "OP" weapons. The Enperry Splat Dualies are very prominent in the current meta, but there isn't a single thing OP about that weapon. The Splat Dualies as a main are pretty much typical, the kit isn't anything out of the ordinary, just has Inkjet which is a special that has high rewards when played well. It's meta because it is a smart counter to other weapons. That honestly describes much of our current standing meta, it's like a game of rock, paper, scissors, less about which weapon is "stronger", but which weapon beats what.

The real world results of the Bloblobber is, its area control ability in Turf War and Splat Zones are very good, neigh some of the best. The weapon admittedly lacks in regards to Tower Control since its projectiles are unfriendly on or against the tower. It's abilities in Rainmaker are absurd, primarily due to it's high damage rate with Slosher multipliers as well as the Rainmaker carrier being a much easier target all things considered. It's just normal in Clam Blitz.

It's ability to work at range is great. Though it has slow projectiles, its ability to work at range greatly puts low-mid ranged weapons at a disadvantage, at least in the way of suppressing opposition. Against long ranged weapons, the weapon isn't at a complete disadvantage either due to its high mobility, especially against most long range weapons which have very low mobility or slow kill time. Then we have the fact unlike a lot of long ranged weapons, in combat, the Bloblobber isn't really at any comparative disadvantage in close range, in fact the weapon is at its most dangerous at close range, being able to kill in one attack, and kill fast since it no longer deals with its lengthy travel distance.

The above aren't inherently bad to have, but the they're bundled into a package that doesn't need all of it together alongside its other stats. The weapon doesn't necessarily need a complete reworking, but there are certainly aspects of this weapon that need to be toned down, maybe things such as firing rate, ink consumption, movement speed, etc which are unnecessarily good. It is simply a weapon that does too much, it tries to play itself into too many strengths.

Last edited:

Daxxie

Senior Squid
NNID
Dax
Switch Friend Code
SW-3813-3439-7790
In RM they are just scary, it destroys the shield in a few hits and the holders speed penalty makes them more of a walking target than ever, and since the bubbles bounce is long they aren't safe at the back either.

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
My thoughts after using the Blob-lobber for a couple matches
Honestly, I think that this weapon is just the Octobrush/Clash Blaster all over again. It just needs to further cement itself into the current meta because it's literally only been out for a few days, it has the potential to one slosh kill but if you move fast enough you can avoid taking all four bubbles and punish them.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Here's the thing, at our current state. There are no truly "OP" weapons. The Enperry Splat Dualies are very prominent in the current meta, but there isn't a single thing OP about that weapon. The Splat Dualies as a main are pretty much typical, the kit isn't anything out of the ordinary, just has Inkjet which is a special that has high rewards when played well. It's meta because it is a smart counter to other weapons. That honestly describes much of our current standing meta, it's like a game of rock, paper, scissors, less about which weapon is "stronger", but which weapon beats what.

The real world results of the Bloblobber is, its area control ability in Turf War and Splat Zones are very good, neigh some of the best. The weapon admittedly lacks in regards to Tower Control since its projectiles are unfriendly on or against the tower. It's abilities in Rainmaker are absurd, primarily due to it's high damage rate with Slosher multipliers as well as the Rainmaker carrier being a much easier target all things considered. It's just normal in Clam Blitz.

It's ability to work at range is great. Though it has slow projectiles, its ability to work at range greatly puts low-mid ranged weapons at a disadvantage, at least in the way of suppressing opposition. Against long ranged weapons, the weapon isn't at a complete disadvantage either due to its high mobility, especially against most long range weapons which have very low mobility or slow kill time. Then we have the fact unlike a lot of long ranged weapons, in combat, the Bloblobber isn't really at any comparative disadvantage in close range, in fact the weapon is at its most dangerous at close range, being able to kill in one attack, and kill fast since it no longer deals with its lengthy travel distance.

The above aren't inherently bad to have, but the they're bundled into a package that doesn't need all of it together alongside its other stats. The weapon doesn't necessarily need a complete reworking, but there are certainly aspects of this weapon that need to be toned down, maybe things such as firing rate, ink consumption, movement speed, etc which are unnecessarily good. It is simply a weapon that does too much, it tries to play itself into too many strengths.
I bet there's many who would disagree with that, atleast I've heard people say Dualies and Blasters are OP. I've never said this though. And yeah, that a weapon can counter other strong weapons is one of the things that makes it a strong option. The Bloblobber certainly has weapons that can counter it in the right situation, namely anything that moves sideways quickly like Dualies Blasters and other Sloshers, and rival backliners like Splatlings n Chargers with their faster shot velocity and tendency to be on high ground.

The weapon is atleast good in all modes, even Tower Control with it's kit, but I mean so are most strong weapons. The advantage in Rainmaker is substantial though. I've no doubt the damage to objects will be reduced in the next patch, but for now yes this is the one area I agree the weapon is OP. As for splatting the rainmaker carrier, it's easier for every weapon to hit them, so not really a Bloblobber exclusive advantage.

It's ranged play is great but not without drawbacks. Bloblobber outranges most weapons only as long as they don't have height advantage, and the slow shot velocity on top of the bubbles shrinking after bouncing makes them easier to avoid than shots from other ranged weapons. Weapons like Splatlings and Chargers can splat a Bloblobber well before the bubbles reach them for instance. As for melee combat, that's what I initially thought on paper with the H-3, but in practice getting the one burst kill is very difficult. Same deal with the Bloblobber. Might have a slightly faster firerate, but it's single attack travels slower and is divided into 4 hits with the last one being so small I've even had it miss at point blank range. Much like the Jet Squelcher, pretty much every frontliner weapon that get's within range has the advantage against it I'd say.

I still don't understand how you say it does too much when we already have weapons that do everything pretty well such as the Tentatek Splattershot, Enperry Dualies, and Ballpoint Splatling. They turf really well, they kill well at both melee and long range, highly effective in all modes, etc.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
It's ranged play is great but not without drawbacks. Bloblobber outranges most weapons only as long as they don't have height advantage, and the slow shot velocity on top of the bubbles shrinking after bouncing makes them easier to avoid than shots from other ranged weapons. Weapons like Splatlings and Chargers can splat a Bloblobber well before the bubbles reach them for instance. As for melee combat, that's what I initially thought on paper with the H-3, but in practice getting the one burst kill is very difficult. Same deal with the Bloblobber. Might have a slightly faster firerate, but it's single attack travels slower and is divided into 4 hits with the last one being so small I've even had it miss at point blank range. Much like the Jet Squelcher, pretty much every frontliner weapon that get's within range has the advantage against it I'd say.
My issue is, yes, on paper you'd think this would fall into many of the same pitfalls as the H-3, but in reality, it doesn't fall into as many as you'd think. Even when it comes to requiring a steady aim, the Bloblobber is actually better than the H-3. Any bit of camera movement from the H-3 does have a significant effect on where your three shots go, while it is possible to do similar with the Bloblobber, the window of error is much smaller, so even during heavy movement, if 1 blob it hitting dead on, there is a high likelihood that the rest are also dead on.

Then come the minor things that are really the crux of what I wanted changed, the simple stuff like strafing speed, ink consumption, and its firing rate. The above can exist, but as I said, they're wrapped into a package that makes it too easy to use. Y'know what the H-3 has, slow strafing speed, the other long ranged Explosher has slow strafing speed, even the base Slosher in its own class has slow strafing speed with significantly less range. Getting the 1HKO at close range I genuinely believe is no more difficult than getting a hit in with the normal Slosher or a direct with the Sloshing Machine, the difference being, this will actually kill, while having practically the same firing rate as the Sloshing Machine. That's why I genuinely do believe this things need some simple nerfs, like a slight nerf to its firing fate.

You say that like the Jet Squelcher, it is at a disadvantage in the frontlines, but that isn't any further from the truth. In the frontlines, this weapon is perhaps at its most dangerous. Its big flaw of slow projectile speed is at its least effect at close range, and it shares the same firing rate as the Sloshing Machine but with more damage. The thing essentially become a Blaster pulling off direct splats at close range. Any other Slosher is typically put at a disadvantage in a frontline head to head due to DPS or range, except the Bloblobber, since it only need one shot to win an engagement and said shot becomes increasingly threatening the close your are. The weapon even has fairly good strafing speed so unlike other ranged weapons, it isn't a sitting duck on the frontline either. Again, that's why I say stuff like its firing rate slightly and its strafing speed should be toned down, so that it does fall into the basic faults like range weapons being weak at close range.

I still don't understand how you say it does too much when we already have weapons that do everything pretty well such as the Tentatek Splattershot, Enperry Dualies, and Ballpoint Splatling. They turf really well, they kill well at both melee and long range, highly effective in all modes, etc.
It's quite simple. TTK and Enperry are just rounded. That's about it, they're rounded weapons. They are what can be said to be a jack of all traits but a master of none. There's nothing that particularly stands out about these weapons, they're basically the definition of middle ground weapons, just good all around, but never excel at any given trait. Then they just have Inkjet, Inkjet is great when played well and all, but Inkjet ain't no Inkzooka it ain't breaking the weapon.
Ballpoint, does stand out though, mainly just the strafing speed though.

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
My issue is, yes, on paper you'd think this would fall into many of the same pitfalls as the H-3, but in reality, it doesn't fall into as many as you'd think. Even when it comes to requiring a steady aim, the Bloblobber is actually better than the H-3. Any bit of camera movement from the H-3 does have a significant effect on where your three shots go, while it is possible to do similar with the Bloblobber, the window of error is much smaller, so even during heavy movement, if 1 blob it hitting dead on, there is a high likelihood that the rest are also dead on.

Then come the minor things that are really the crux of what I wanted changed, the simple stuff like strafing speed, ink consumption, and its firing rate. The above can exist, but as I said, they're wrapped into a package that makes it too easy to use. Y'know what the H-3 has, slow strafing speed, the other long ranged Explosher has slow strafing speed, even the base Slosher in its own class has slow strafing speed with significantly less range. Getting the 1HKO at close range I genuinely believe is no more difficult than getting a hit in with the normal Slosher or a direct with the Sloshing Machine, the difference being, this will actually kill, while having practically the same firing rate as the Sloshing Machine. That's why I genuinely do believe this things need some simple nerfs, like a slight nerf to its firing fate.

You say that like the Jet Squelcher, it is at a disadvantage in the frontlines, but that isn't any further from the truth. In the frontlines, this weapon is perhaps at its most dangerous. Its big flaw of slow projectile speed is at its least effect at close range, and it shares the same firing rate as the Sloshing Machine but with more damage. The thing essentially become a Blaster pulling off direct splats at close range. Any other Slosher is typically put at a disadvantage in a frontline head to head due to DPS or range, except the Bloblobber, since it only need one shot to win an engagement and said shot becomes increasingly threatening the close your are. The weapon even has fairly good strafing speed so unlike other ranged weapons, it isn't a sitting duck on the frontline either. Again, that's why I say stuff like its firing rate slightly and its strafing speed should be toned down, so that it does fall into the basic faults like range weapons being weak at close range.

It's quite simple. TTK and Enperry are just rounded. That's about it, they're rounded weapons. They are what can be said to be a jack of all traits but a master of none. There's nothing that particularly stands out about these weapons, they're basically the definition of middle ground weapons, just good all around, but never excel at any given trait. Then they just have Inkjet, Inkjet is great when played well and all, but Inkjet ain't no Inkzooka it ain't breaking the weapon.
Ballpoint, does stand out though, mainly just the strafing speed though.
I'm guessing you don't have a whole lot of practice with the weapon, so perhaps that's the root of our disagreement. Everything I'm saying is based on how it performs in battle. For instance I know for certain it's easier to land a hit with the other Sloshers than it is for the Bloblobber to land the 1-slosh splat. Not just because of their stats like faster shot velocity and bigger hitbox, but also experiencing the match-ups first hand many times. Also, Tentatek and Enperrys just average weapons? Hmm, well I guess it's time to just agree to disagree! In the end it's neither of our opinions that matter, only Nintendo's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom