Bomb Trickery

TeaBee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BuzzyTeaBee
I've seen a lot of players using the bombs in Splatoon in their own way, including myself. Some use them as distractions and others apply pressure towards their opponent. I am here to talk about the bombs used in Splatoon and my own bomb techniques.

• Burst Bombs
    • Pros
      • Can be used multiple times.
      • Cheap
      • Stronger with Damage Up Ability
      • Can be used as pressure or as a distraction
    • Cons
      • Blows up on impact
What I have seen, most Eliter or Carbon Roller players use the burst bombs to chase opponents or as a safety measure. It's even worse if you have no where to run or when trapped in enemey ink.

• Subseekers
    • Pros
      • Has a Lock-On mechanism
      • Leaves a trail you can follow
    • Cons
      • Can't Lock-On to players hiding in Ink
      • Useful only on the ground
I rarely see players use this subweapon. Most of the time Carbon roller deco players use them. They're very useful on linear maps like Port Mackerel.

• Ink Mines
    • Pros
      • Hidden (I'm not 100% sure)
    • Cons
      • It's kind easy to run from, unless you're trapped in ink
In the past, I've seen plenty of ink mines in Tower Control. I hardly see them now, but they were great for forcing players off the tower.

• Suction Bombs
    • Pros
      • Highest Blast Radius
      • Clingy and stays in place
    • Cons
      • Takes a longer time to explode
This bomb is infamous not only for latching onto walls or in tower control, but for it's blast radius.

• Splat Bombs
    • Pros
      • Timer is activate while stationary or on the ground
      • Can tumble or slide (due to physics)
    • Cons
      • Physics (Only when it slides off and doesn't explode. Ex: falling in water or off the stage.)
I'm going to be honest, the Splat Bomb is my lifesaver and it's my main........sub (If that makes any sense). I've seen plenty of people use this bomb differently. Some use it naturally by just "throwing" it and others tend to use it as a trap when they're being chased. I've learned that the hard way, even if it was annoying at times. I've been practicing different ways on using splat bombs and I've had.......a blast.

• My techniques

1. Last Second Drop (There's probably a better name for this) - This is technique where you throw the splat bomb at a certain angle so that it lands towards the edge of a platform shortening it's time then slowly fall off the platform and explode when it touches the ground. I've done this plenty of times when I was expecting some players either hiding or heading towards a spot (mostly on Museum D'alfinsino).

2. Fake Out/Take Out - This is more of a mind game tactic where you throw a splat bomb at a location that you want an opponent to run to. I've noticed this after throwing a splat bomb then firing a few rounds to scare off an inkling into hiding only for them to find a surprise.

• Conclusion
If you have read this far, then congratulations. I didn't make this thread just to mention my own playstyle with splat bombs. I would also like to know what kind of tricks anyone in the Splatoon Community has when they use any of the bombs mentioned above. So everyone, how do you use your bombs?

Last edited:

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
If you use inkmines where there is a bit of oppent ink on it as you place it, it can be seen at times without bomb sniffer. Also a person that is observent can see you use sub so they know, I try point this out once to teach people that:

Also with suction bombs or splat, you can throw them in a way that they are there for people to swim up to, move around a corner them bam! Wtf splat me? oh.....

You can also use them to gaurd your side, like I place a sucton/splat bomb behind me, I can focus forward for a while and not worry.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Hey, nice username! I'm also a bee, of the birdie variety!

Seekers are also awesome on 52 Gal Deco and Aerospray MG imo. Usually on Splat Zones. Seekers can also be effective on less flat stages as well. Throwing them off of platforms is fun, or up ramps like the middle grate at the center of Flounder Heights. I personally LOVE seekers on Walleye Warehouse, Mahi Mahi and Piranha Pit.

I would also add to Suction Bombs that their clinginess can also be a con. Sometimes I throw them and they get stuck on something just a hair above or below where I wanted to throw it. Big waste of time. You have to be a lot more cautious how you aim it compared to Splat Bombs in most situations, from my experience.

On that note, I also main Splat Bombs as my go-to sub. It's definitely the most all-around and versatile sub. You can do so many things with it. But I'm finding it hard to describe my exact techniques because I use them so second nature, I hardly think about it. Mostly just as a precaution/zoning during an advance. Try to draw out the enemy and spook them into revealing themselves- or if I get lucky, splat an unknowing squid.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I've found Suction Bombs to be quite useful as a trap for Super Jumping squiddos. Technically this can also be done with the regular Splat Bomb and Ink Mine, but it's easier to time it with Suction Bombs thanks to their extended fuse: just count to two, then plant one right on the Super Jump marker.

I mainly do it as a time-saving measure; I leave that little gift there, and I continue on my way.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
I've found Suction Bombs to be quite useful as a trap for Super Jumping squiddos. Technically this can also be done with the regular Splat Bomb and Ink Mine, but it's easier to time it with Suction Bombs thanks to their extended fuse: just count to two, then plant one right on the Super Jump marker.

I mainly do it as a time-saving measure; I leave that little gift there, and I continue on my way.
Could never get the timing right but I use splat bombs more >.> (from main weapon) ya know it is more funny to do that with splash wall, I remember seeing a replay of someone putting a splash wall on a beakon and someone super jumped to it and got splatted by it XD

TeaBee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BuzzyTeaBee
If you use inkmines where there is a bit of oppent ink on it as you place it, it can be seen at times without bomb sniffer. Also a person that is observent can see you use sub so they know, I try point this out once to teach people that:

Also with suction bombs or splat, you can throw them in a way that they are there for people to swim up to, move around a corner them bam! Wtf splat me? oh.....

You can also use them to gaurd your side, like I place a sucton/splat bomb behind me, I can focus forward for a while and not worry.
Oh, I see the ink mine on the Blackbelly tower. o.o

Yeah, I can totally see suction/splat bombs as a surprise attack.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
Oh, I see the ink mine on the Blackbelly tower. o.o

Yeah, I can totally see suction/splat bombs as a surprise attack.
you actually never see the mine itself there, just them placing it from the animation. In some cases you can actually see it if you place it partly or maybe fully? (I do not use them much) on opponent ink. With bomb sniffer (I am not sure if being partly inked effects this) you can fully see them and the blinking timer (it blinks super fast before blowing up)

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Despite the fact that Suction Bombs take a longer time to explode, this has the added benefit of forcing opponents away. The area immediately becomes off limits, so it's great for protecting a certain spot. This especially applies to the Rainmaker after the shield has been destroyed. Any attempt to pick it up will almost surely result in a splat.

Splat Bombs are great at flushing out the enemy. Toss one where an inkling is hiding behind an obstacle, then go on the opposite side to greet splat them. Because of the fast detonation, it also forces the opponent to make a hasty decision to retreat. This gives you the time you need to get them. Easy kill. Just a few tricks I've learned ;p

TeaBee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BuzzyTeaBee

Call me a sadist, but I love doing that when someone's Super Jumping. I kind of get tired of not having enough ink for a bomb when that happens. I should probably practice more with the suction bomb.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Despite the fact that Suction Bombs take a longer time to explode, this has the added benefit of forcing opponents away. The area immediately becomes off limits, so it's great for protecting a certain spot. This especially applies to the Rainmaker after the shield has been destroyed. Any attempt to pick it up will almost surely result in a splat.

Splat Bombs are great at flushing out the enemy. Toss one where an inkling is hiding behind an obstacle, then go on the opposite side to greet splat them. Because of the fast detonation, it also forces the opponent to make a hasty decision to retreat. This gives you the time you need to get them. Easy kill. Just a few tricks I've learned ;p
I play with the TTK a lot and this is definitely true. Suction bombs are for zone control or traps, not kills. They're also a great counter for opponents who use bombs to try and quickly cover an area, since the suction bomb will always undo all their work.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Honestly as a ink mine user myself the benefit is if a player doesn't have bomb sniffer you can use the sub weapon button to place fake mines and scare players
Or jump into enemy ink and slowly walk back to the mine and quickly jumping out of the way to splat rollers or other close range enemies

Plus everyone places them on ledges and around corner but they are best suited in a little bit or close to open areas to push players out into the open and splat them.

Splat bomb
No way out- Toss splat bomb straight at your feet, it will land directly on the ground and splat or scare away enemies giving you an opening

Get away bomber- this might take some time but when spotted by an enemy player go to edge of your ink fire a random shot into enemy ink, swim, jump into air and quickly drop a splat bomb on the floor then swim away in previously covered ink, finally enjoy the look on their face after realizing they've been trolled

TeaBee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BuzzyTeaBee
Honestly as a ink mine user myself the benefit is if a player doesn't have bomb sniffer you can use the sub weapon button to place fake mines and scare players
Or jump into enemy ink and slowly walk back to the mine and quickly jumping out of the way to splat rollers or other close range enemies

Plus everyone places them on ledges and around corner but they are best suited in a little bit or close to open areas to push players out into the open and splat them.

Splat bomb
No way out- Toss splat bomb straight at your feet, it will land directly on the ground and splat or scare away enemies giving you an opening

Get away bomber- this might take some time but when spotted by an enemy player go to edge of your ink fire a random shot into enemy ink, swim, jump into air and quickly drop a splat bomb on the floor then swim away in previously covered ink, finally enjoy the look on their face after realizing they've been trolled
I never saw much use in ink mine, but it looks like I have more things to learn about it. Also the "Get Away Bomber" sounds tricky to do. O:

sammich

Inkling Cadet
ink mine SEEMS useful in tower control, which is why you saw it in the past.

unfortunately, it doesn't actually pull results.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
ink mine SEEMS useful in tower control, which is why you saw it in the past.

unfortunately, it doesn't actually pull results.
It works like suction bombs that stay on the tower. The main use there is to place it on the front of the tower, and then they have to get off, swim to the other side of the tower or die.

Ink mines are also useful to put right where you are shooting (mainly with the new squiffer) so you can defend yourself from surprises, to a degree. You can also use them in narrow hallways using the squiffer and you let them pass it then start attacking, and they can't retreat.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
It works like suction bombs that stay on the tower. The main use there is to place it on the front of the tower, and then they have to get off, swim to the other side of the tower or die.

Ink mines are also useful to put right where you are shooting (mainly with the new squiffer) so you can defend yourself from surprises, to a degree. You can also use them in narrow hallways using the squiffer and you let them pass it then start attacking, and they can't retreat.
not really, suction bomb is better because the other team does not control the delay on it. If I see an inkmine weapon on the other side I simply make sure the tower is inked first before getting on. The only thing that makes ink mines any sort of useful is thanks to lag, as they always do not blow up when you shoot at them and they just sit there. (or very delay reaction)

Also here is another con for inkmines, rollers can simply roll over them,act like they do not exist and nothing will happen. By the time they blow up, the roller is lone gone (maybe dynamo is the only exception? I never ran over one with a dynamo roller though so I wouldn't know.) There is a chance where a dynamo roller goes to jump to fling then it triggers, that really sucks XD

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Actually ink mines also have uses in rainmaker silence they can go underneath the rainmaker shield, unlike other weapons, this becomes very good cause I outnumbered you can place one close to the center of the rainmaker shield and then as the enemy team pops it they will get caught in the blast radius of the mine (P.S blast radius of ink mine and suction bomb are he largest in the game) as they go for it allowing you to push once more

In Tower Control placing mine on areas where enemies jump down are better than simply placing it on the tower or placing it slightly ahead of or behind the path of the tower (depending on path other team is taking) can prevent them from climbing the tower or alert your team to an enemy flank

Main:wst_charge_quick01::wst_charge_normalh::wst_charge_normalscp00::wst_shot_triplequick01:

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
What I meant was that you can put the mine on the tower and do something else for some time. It will force an inkling off the tower as most do not cover the tower then get on, they get on then cover it. Ink mines are good for certain defensive spots and choke points though. Places the enemy has to pass, like the center of arowana mall, are good because you have your main weapon and a bomb when they cross it.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
What I meant was that you can put the mine on the tower and do something else for some time. It will force an inkling off the tower as most do not cover the tower then get on, they get on then cover it. Ink mines are good for certain defensive spots and choke points though. Places the enemy has to pass, like the center of arowana mall, are good because you have your main weapon and a bomb when they cross it.
I would not judge something useful or not just because you quote low skill play/low observant? the point in trying to explain all the short comings is oping they are more likely to buff it, not accepting something with a so low use and you can say oh you use it here or there. Ink mines are not completely useless sure and some creative use can actually make some use of them but it is still the weakest sub by far. Most if not all, you can use splat bombs, suction bombs and even splash walls (super jump trap) can be used the same ways you can use ink mines but they have other uses on top of it. ink mines are simply too narrow use.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I should probably experiment more with the rebound on splat bombs. Makes your opponents keep guessing where it'll land when you can get it to pinball in a tight spot.

Still learning to use ink mines, especially when using Inkbrush Nouveau. During a blockade run and running about like a loony toon I drop one behind me or near me or inside a brush stroke. Rarely splats anyone but helps create further chaos.

With seekers I rarely see anyone besides carbon rollers use them. Rarer still, I hardly see anyone swimming in a seeker's ink trail. Does anyone does this at all/anymore?

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
I should probably experiment more with the rebound on splat bombs. Makes your opponents keep guessing where it'll land when you can get it to pinball in a tight spot.

Still learning to use ink mines, especially when using Inkbrush Nouveau. During a blockade run and running about like a loony toon I drop one behind me or near me or inside a brush stroke. Rarely splats anyone but helps create further chaos.

With seekers I rarely see anyone besides carbon rollers use them. Rarer still, I hardly see anyone swimming in a seeker's ink trail. Does anyone does this at all/anymore?
yeah but depends on situation. good to rush with, help team get in middle first.

i think it got less common in battle though because its use lead to people expecting it like how a charger splat me for doing it. in rank all i see is gals and deco carbon roller.. that use em

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom