Buff Ink Mines? Why or Why Not?

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I've seen quite a few unsuspecting Rollers getting splatted because they rolled over one o_O
I suppose they can work against rollers like that but if that's all they can do it's pretty underwhelming.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Also putting them where the E-Liter snipers love to camp can be useful for denying the enemy their cover fire.

Like how?
Bluefin: Stick them at the bottom of the walls that can be climbed. On your side, prevents them from climbing up to attack your Heavy Splatling/E-Liter cover fire crew. On their side, gives them a surprise when they jump down...

Moray: Stick them behind you when pushing up lanes, the ultimate anti-pursuit. Stick them where enemies love to jump down to, provide them something 'soft' to land on :D

Mackerel: Use in conjunction with Splash Walls and Killer Wails to funnel enemies into killing zones. Put it on the forklifts, squids love to climb up on them.

Flounder Heights: Get creative. Hide it where people like to climb up to surprise them when they pop up/drop down.

Walleye: deny the side passages. Deny landing zones. booby trap the boxes in the middle.

Tower Control: Stick it on the tower, deny it to the enemy.

Splat Zones: Stick it at the chokes to slow advances. Stick it in the side passages to deny flanking movements. Booby trap the zone itself.

Rainmaker: Learn where to plant mines to get Rainmaker Bearers. Deny the pedestal, cut off side passages, delay their advance so the team sniper can get into position, deny the walls they want to climb to get to side passages/reach your sniper. Hang back and plant mines to delay encircling movements when pushing into the enemy half.

Learn to git gud with the mines before you discount them.

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Also putting them where the E-Liter snipers love to camp can be useful for denying the enemy their cover fire.
Can't they simply set off the ink mine? That's protection for five or six seconds. You could do that with any other weapon without needing to go up there.

Not saying that's negligible time, but it's something that could be done by a suction bomb even better and might even get a kill.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Can't they simply set off the ink mine? That's protection for five or six seconds. You could do that with any other weapon without needing to go up there.

Not saying that's negligible time, but it's something that could be done by a suction bomb even better and might even get a kill.
Drop and go. You can leave a mine there and see when it goes off early (it means either the enemy sniper tried to go there and either got splatted/retreated, or one of their teammates went to sweep for mines since they found out you got them). It will betray their position.

Delaying the sniper for even a few seconds might be enough for the Rainmaker Bearer to get out of the sniper's range.

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Delaying the sniper for even a few seconds might be enough for the Rainmaker Bearer to get out of the sniper's range.
Betraying position is clever, but not foolproof. They can keep in a safe distance and break the mine with a sub-weapon. Further, the fact that any other sub could do the same thing without the set-up doesn't give credence to your second point.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
I rarely get splatter by ink mines. If I'm not focused on something else, I'll see them before they explode. I think the ideas that you can either place more than one or that the explosion animation is sped up would make them much better. They're still functional, but definitely the worst sub overall.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix

Bluefin: Stick them at the bottom of the walls that can be climbed. On your side, prevents them from climbing up to attack your Heavy Splatling/E-Liter cover fire crew. On their side, gives them a surprise when they jump down...

Moray: Stick them behind you when pushing up lanes, the ultimate anti-pursuit. Stick them where enemies love to jump down to, provide them something 'soft' to land on :D

Mackerel: Use in conjunction with Splash Walls and Killer Wails to funnel enemies into killing zones. Put it on the forklifts, squids love to climb up on them.

Flounder Heights: Get creative. Hide it where people like to climb up to surprise them when they pop up/drop down.

Walleye: deny the side passages. Deny landing zones. booby trap the boxes in the middle.

Tower Control: Stick it on the tower, deny it to the enemy.

Splat Zones: Stick it at the chokes to slow advances. Stick it in the side passages to deny flanking movements. Booby trap the zone itself.

Rainmaker: Learn where to plant mines to get Rainmaker Bearers. Deny the pedestal, cut off side passages, delay their advance so the team sniper can get into position, deny the walls they want to climb to get to side passages/reach your sniper. Hang back and plant mines to delay encircling movements when pushing into the enemy half.

Learn to git gud with the mines before you discount them.
Git gud with mines isn't enough. Basically all mines do is stall the enemy for a few seconds. They rarely kill and don't do well at zoning. They are just overshadowed by other subs that do their job better.

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Git gud with mines isn't enough. Basically all mines do is stall the enemy for a few seconds.
I agree with you but appreciate that he provided legitimate uses. I'll need to test a few of these to see if they hold up to snuff and see if my position on their usage changes.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I agree with you but appreciate that he provided legitimate uses. I'll need to test a few of these to see if they hold up to snuff and see if my position on their usage changes.
Tell me what happens when you do and if you found that they are better than we think as of now.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Either that, or make the mine's impact as big as the Rainmaker's shield explosion. (sarcasm)
This would be hilarious. At the same time make the Ink Mine a special weapon instead of a sub :D

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
This would be hilarious. At the same time make the Ink Mine a special weapon instead of a sub :D
A special that was just a huge explosion like the Rainmaker's shield would be pretty cool, actually. A sub that does the same but is smaller, and possibly takes two hits would also be fun.

DisidisiD

Inkling
i think the ability to have remote detonation or multiple mines would be quite useful. But I really would love a decrease to animation time. That would likely be the best buff it could be given without making it too powerful.

tene_sicarius

Full Squid
NNID
TeneBrisSicarius
The Ink Mines are a direct counter to the Inkbrush right now, because the mine's kill range is the inkbrush's combat range, and the ending animation for a swing is as long as it takes the mine to explode. Brushes are rare in ranked, so mines work better in Turf war. I wouldn't be against placing more down, but instantly exploding is a bit much, since they already force a player to be very cautious when capturing a tower.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Multiple mines would be too strong. You have to take into account that whatever number of mines you're suggesting is multiplied by 4, because there will always be teams that want to play certain strategies that makes use of multiples of something (ie: 4 people throwing burst bombs, 4 suction bombs, 4 splattershots, etc).

I think you should be able to detonate your mines by placing another down. Reduce the radius and damage if necessary to balance them.

Nintendome

Inkredible YouTuber
NNID
LogicallyHank
Nintendo should just allow Ink Mines to be thrown for more strategic placement, then also decrease the time it takes to explode so that they can't avoided as easily.
Seems awfully similar suction bombs. There are some clear differences (i.e. stealth, interactions with enemy ink, etc) but the similarities seems to outweigh those IMO.

Helios42

Inkling
NNID
Helios4242
I've seen quite a few unsuspecting Rollers getting splatted because they rolled over one o_O
I've had the opposite experience. One of my biggest frustrations with the mines is that rollers - something I very much would like to stop - can literally just keep moving forward and avoid it. They only get splatted if they stop for some reason (deer in the headlights or they happen to be attacking someone). It could use with just a little bit swifter activation in that case I feel.

That being said, Mines aren't as bad for my playstyle as a lot of people feel they are in general. At least for me, I use it to make routes more challenging to advance through. I don't babysit the mine and I don't expect it to be 100% efficient. But it's a layer of defense that I leave, and can catch people off guard while I'm off guarding another entrance. It's also good at controlling foes movements when there are two directions they could go, or if someone's following you.

Last edited:

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
I've seen the suggestion of being able to place 3 mines at a time crop up here and people debating whether or not that would be too powerful, what about just being able to place 2 at a time?

DisidisiD

Inkling
I've seen the suggestion of being able to place 3 mines at a time crop up here and people debating whether or not that would be too powerful, what about just being able to place 2 at a time?
This is the kind of thinking we need. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom