• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Charger Tips?

Francisco

Inkster Jr.
I've decided to main Chargers, such as the E-Liter 4K, due to their long-range nature. However, I have three main questions about Chargers to improve my gameplay:

1) What is the most optimal motion and stick control sensitivity?

2) How should I deal with players that approach too close? Is it best to run away until I regain the range advantage?

3) What are the best abilities to choose for Chargers?

I appreciate any tips you have. Thanks in advance!

Splooner

Inkling
NNID
PaulyD23
I am a sniper main in Splatoon 1 and I had motion sensitivity maxed but I had/have a method of aiming with both the gyro and the stix that I do not have in Splatoon 2. Splatoon 2 I only use the gyro to shoot and I max the sensitivity. I am using the joycon game pad and I highly recommend trying just gyro aim no hands on stix while lining up your shot. My shots are getting better and better with this method and the hard part is that moving after the shot is a bit awkward.

Up close players are all situational, sometimes you gotta run, sometimes take a shot, sometimes just hide. I'm a splatterscope player in Splatoon 1 and I have an excellent shot up close.

My favourite abilities are Swim speed, Ink saver main, Ink saver sub if the subs good, but this might change because the games still pretty new.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
i heard long range snipers tend to favor less sensitivity, but i'm sticking to the shorter-ranged goo tuber until the squiffer comes back, and i feel like i need the extra turning speed. running at +4 gyro, +5 stick.

that being said, i'm really having trouble getting used to the longer charge times and i haven't had much success at all.

Last edited:

Snipe-sound

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Snipesound
I just posted pretty much same topic tge charger for me is so much harder then splat 1 granted i was a stick player now transitioning to motion. Any tips my aim is off but i know thats practice but the movement feels off but i got pretty good with shooters with motion.

Maave

Inkling Commander
Woah, high sensitivities my dudes.

1)
On Splat1 I'm at +1.
On Splat2 I'm at -1.5 Gyro and +2 Stick.

The reason for low sensitivities is to smooth and remove jitter. On Splat1 I used to go with +3 until I started using the scoped E-liter, then I found there was a lot of jitter just from my hand movement. +1 smoothed it out. And -1.5 is as close to the same feel in Splat2. The stick is up at +2 for increased turning speed. The stick doesn't have much effect on sniping, sniping is mostly gyro.

2)
-If they have to travel through a lot of your team's ink first, run away briefly then turn around and take some shots. This depends on how much they have to travel and how much ink you have to escape with. A good example is when you're on your team's ramps at Moray Towers - lots of space to back up, good clear shot when the enemy approaches.
-If there's a ledge or something preventing you from shooting, use the sub weapons as they approach. Either toss over the edge or toss at the edge so they run into it as they climb over the edge.
-If the ink is mixed and you can't easily retreat then there's a good chance you'll get splatted. Fight em tooth and nail! Throw a sub weapon and then do tap shots once they're close up.

3) Ink Recovery! Or Ink Saver Main. Pick whatever you got. If you can get 2 or 3 main slots of Ink Recovery then you're solid. The rest of the slots are just whatever you feel like. Maybe swim speed for moving/escaping or Special Charge Up or Special saver if you like your special.
Ink resistance is nice sometimes for walking in speckles of enemy ink while charging a shot. In the higher levels the snipers usually don't expect you to stand right in enemy ink, so enemy ink + Ink Resistance + corner peeking = sneaky shot against enemy sniper.

FYI for the newcomers. Main slots = 10 points, subs slots = 3 points. So 3x sub slots are basically the same as a main slot.

Aeladya

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Aeladya
Switch Friend Code
SW-4028-2792-9217
What is the best way to improve with the charger? I want to try to be at least somewhat proficient at all the weapons, but I want to learn the charger as it is the most difficult weapon for me to get used to. I seem to be a liability so far and I can't seem to use it without being killed more often than I am killing.

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
What is the best way to improve with the charger? I want to try to be at least somewhat proficient at all the weapons, but I want to learn the charger as it is the most difficult weapon for me to get used to. I seem to be a liability so far and I can't seem to use it without being killed more often than I am killing.
I hate giving this answer, because it's really unsatisfying, but you have to put the hours in. You gotta get used to charge speed, distance, aiming, and all of that takes practice. Like with every other weapon, you gotta learn map layouts, specifically which areas you can lock down, and which ones suck to fight from. If you're gonna do a lot of Turf Wars, you gotta learn how to paint, and which enemy areas you can reach. It's a weapon with a high skill floor, and if you're worried about being a lump, just stick to Turf Wars, Hero Mode, and the practice area.

Aeladya

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Aeladya
Switch Friend Code
SW-4028-2792-9217
I hate giving this answer, because it's really unsatisfying, but you have to put the hours in. You gotta get used to charge speed, distance, aiming, and all of that takes practice. Like with every other weapon, you gotta learn map layouts, specifically which areas you can lock down, and which ones suck to fight from. If you're gonna do a lot of Turf Wars, you gotta learn how to paint, and which enemy areas you can reach. It's a weapon with a high skill floor, and if you're worried about being a lump, just stick to Turf Wars, Hero Mode, and the practice area.

I'm having more of an issue of the enemy moving at the last second and then activating their special to annihilate me. Even if I am able to reach them, they manage to get out of the way right as I pull the figurative trigger so to speak. Maybe this is one of those weapons where I am just not going to be good at and should quit now? Let's face it, the other players in this game move a lot faster than the enemies in say Skyrim or Resident Evil. I don't want to quit so easily, but maybe some people should stick to certain weapon types?

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
I'm having more of an issue of the enemy moving at the last second and then activating their special to annihilate me. Even if I am able to reach them, they manage to get out of the way right as I pull the figurative trigger so to speak. Maybe this is one of those weapons where I am just not going to be good at and should quit now? Let's face it, the other players in this game move a lot faster than the enemies in say Skyrim or Resident Evil. I don't want to quit so easily, but maybe some people should stick to certain weapon types?
I usually try to limit their mobility with some lines before going for the kill.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
1. Really depends on what you're comfortable with. Try out the firing range or some of the Octoling levels and figure out what sensitivity setting feels the most natural to you. Having a higher sensitvity doesn't make you a better sniper, nailing your shots will.

2. Partial-shots are now a thing of the past, so you can no longer rely on that to quickly eliminate players who get too close. People always look out for the charger, so try to stay hidden before you make a decisive shot which is a easy first kill of the game. Get players who are preoccupied with something else(like shooting at one of your teammates) from a safe distance.
Do know that if you try to start inking ground or stay too long in one spot people will know where you are, try to stay out of your vision and will do their best to stab you in the back. So know that inking ground isn't something you should always be doing and try to shift to different positions regularly. (this is why i really miss the sprinkler on the Kelp Splatterscope)

3. Too early to tell, but ink recovery/ main saver seems to be pretty good. Respawn Punisher is also a good one if you can rack up kills nicely, chargers are some of the safest roles you can play in this game.

In general expect a lot of the advice in this thread to change as time goes on, patches will come and go and it's too early to form a meta. If you want to try out a less punishing ranged weapon you can always try out the Heavy Splatling.

Aeladya

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Aeladya
Switch Friend Code
SW-4028-2792-9217
1. Really depends on what you're comfortable with. Try out the firing range or some of the Octoling levels and figure out what sensitivity setting feels the most natural to you. Having a higher sensitvity doesn't make you a better sniper, nailing your shots will.

2. Partial-shots are now a thing of the past, so you can no longer rely on that to quickly eliminate players who get too close. People always look out for the charger, so try to stay hidden before you make a decisive shot which is a easy first kill of the game. Get players who are preoccupied with something else(like shooting at one of your teammates) from a safe distance.
Do know that if you try to start inking ground or stay too long in one spot people will know where you are, try to stay out of your vision and will do their best to stab you in the back. So know that inking ground isn't something you should always be doing and try to shift to different positions regularly. (this is why i really miss the sprinkler on the Kelp Splatterscope)

3. Too early to tell, but ink recovery/ main saver seems to be pretty good. Respawn Punisher is also a good one if you can rack up kills nicely, chargers are some of the safest roles you can play in this game.

In general expect a lot of the advice in this thread to change as time goes on, patches will come and go and it's too early to form a meta. If you want to try out a less punishing ranged weapon you can always try out the Heavy Splatling.

Ironically enough I'm stuck on Sector 3 Level 13 of Hero Mode, and that is the gun my little sister mains in the first game, she can't find a Switch yet and is a bit short on the funds to get one.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
Woah, high sensitivities my dudes.

1)
On Splat1 I'm at +1.
On Splat2 I'm at -1.5 Gyro and +2 Stick.

The reason for low sensitivities is to smooth and remove jitter. On Splat1 I used to go with +3 until I started using the scoped E-liter, then I found there was a lot of jitter just from my hand movement. +1 smoothed it out. And -1.5 is as close to the same feel in Splat2. The stick is up at +2 for increased turning speed. The stick doesn't have much effect on sniping, sniping is mostly gyro.

2)
-If they have to travel through a lot of your team's ink first, run away briefly then turn around and take some shots. This depends on how much they have to travel and how much ink you have to escape with. A good example is when you're on your team's ramps at Moray Towers - lots of space to back up, good clear shot when the enemy approaches.
-If there's a ledge or something preventing you from shooting, use the sub weapons as they approach. Either toss over the edge or toss at the edge so they run into it as they climb over the edge.
-If the ink is mixed and you can't easily retreat then there's a good chance you'll get splatted. Fight em tooth and nail! Throw a sub weapon and then do tap shots once they're close up.

3) Ink Recovery! Or Ink Saver Main. Pick whatever you got. If you can get 2 or 3 main slots of Ink Recovery then you're solid. The rest of the slots are just whatever you feel like. Maybe swim speed for moving/escaping or Special Charge Up or Special saver if you like your special.
Ink resistance is nice sometimes for walking in speckles of enemy ink while charging a shot. In the higher levels the snipers usually don't expect you to stand right in enemy ink, so enemy ink + Ink Resistance + corner peeking = sneaky shot against enemy sniper.

FYI for the newcomers. Main slots = 10 points, subs slots = 3 points. So 3x sub slots are basically the same as a main slot.
i always hear about how much better low sensitivity on chargers is, but i never seem to do well on it. i've trained myself too hard on the squiffer.

then again, i've never done much extensive testing below +3 (+3 and +4 just feel limiting rather than stabilizing and i end up preferring +5), and i've always wondered if lower senstivity helps with hyper close combat which i tend to perform poorly at.

i'm surprised at such a low stick sensitivity though? when i first jumped into S2 high stick sensitivity felt huge. i guess it's residual squiffer reflexes (since being able to 180° using the stick is way better than jerking the controller way over)

-------------

testing:

i'm surprised how immediately comfortable i am at these sensitivities (i'm running +1 gyro and +2 stick). thought it would take more time to get used to. not sure if 2+ stick sensitivity is quite enough (it almost certainly won't on squiffer) but it feels good at this range without the need for quick mobility/reactions.

i may be sticking around this sensitivity for a while, at least until the squiffer is back.

Last edited:

Maave

Inkling Commander
I'll try bumping up the stick sensitivity. I just went up a few notches until I thought it felt fast enough. I didn't actually try higher on stick though.
My gyro sensitivity came from one particular match on Camp Triggerfish. I got frustrated because I couldn't hit a really simple shot with the 3K Scope due to hand shake.

AceSpade

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AceSpade
Switch Friend Code
SW-2867-1190-1324
My problem is that I get tired of the practice room and turf war is too short imo. Do you have any recommendations on what I should do to practice? I’ve been attempting to have some private battles but most of the people I do that with almost always get bored and use other weapons .-.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
You said you want to battle people who only use the Charger?

AceSpade

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AceSpade
Switch Friend Code
SW-2867-1190-1324
Yeah! Because if I do that, then I’ll have to adapt and be the better marksman. Even if I get killed a bunch, it’ll still make me a better sniper just because I’m stubborn and don’t like to give up to someone better than me.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
As someone who's aim isn't fantastic but can still pull off some decent gameplay with the charger I'll say this, it's not always about hitting all your targets. A charger gets the kind of assist that doesn't even count in Splatoon 2, trapping and scaring away enemies so your team can take them out. That's if you don't make the shots first.

If you start out in turf it's good to pick a nice bit of high ground to control and ink all over, you can do that by crabwalking and just tap shotting, I find I end up inking my spot better than my Teammates. An example on starfish, I always head straight to the right, and cover all of that high platform just opposite the gratings to the right of the stage, and there's a good ink proof wall to stand on that gets you a nice view on the middle of the stage.

Only aiming tips I can give is snapping and shot leading, which everyone will already tell you. Takes a lot of practice but it works. You just have to imagine that player is you down there, and if you see a laser, you'll swim away, whereas if the laser is behind a wall and you can't see it, it's a lot harder to escape. I also find if I fire too soon I just miss and they get caught in my ink, if I give it an extra split second I can make the final minor adjustments to get the kill. Sometimes it's about compensating just the right amount, what that amount is, only you will realise after practice, but if you wait until the x appears on the crosshairs, unless you have absolutely amazing reaction time, you're probably going to be too late in getting the shot.

In regards to knowing when to stay and take the shot, it's all about confidence. If you think you can make the shot, then take it, it gets easier the closer they are as they're a bigger target, but if you think you're gonna miss, ink your escape and use your sub to your advantage, a splat bomb can really set someone back so you can get away and take another advantageous position.

Finally, if you want to main e liter, of highly recommend utilising your sub. Ink mines are no joke in this game and can be so useful. For example, the snipe in moray towers is a great place to sit, however now you can get flanked from about three different places at least, the most common being the wall to snipe and the right ramp leading up. I always leave a mine at the bottom of that ramp, mines now track whoevers detonated them, and should that miss, you'll still get a notification that your mine has gone off, meaning you can take heed of the warning and either aim down that ramp to your attacker or move away to another position. I generally place a second mine under my feet, if I'm not at snipe I can find out when the enemy team has moved up there and make my moves accordingly. Additionally, mines do 35 damage, meaning a partial shot, or two tap shots will kill. Use this to your advantage. These mine tactics also work great with the dynamo.

Finally, (until I think of anything else) a charger isn't about sitting still all game waiting for someone to come within your range. You push forward with your team, stay a reasonable distance behind them but enough that you can still pick off unnoticed flanks and anyone who gets your teammates first. A charger has to be the most map attentive player and has to know pretty much everything that's going on, and tunnel visioning into the one guy you keep missing is gonna spell disaster if someone comes from somewhere else.

Hope this helps anyway, I've never been that good with charger but I've put a lot of effort in, and have been able to reliably win games.

Last edited:

dishwasher

Full Squid
This is probably a bit unorthodox, besides the "practice makes perfect" thing everyone keeps touting, but what I've done is held back my ranking in TC to B (also the easiest ranked battle to be an effective charger). By keeping myself back with that game mode, I'm able to practice and won't move up unless I become a better charger.

Additionally for me, I find that I'm using motion sensitivity around +2, and stick around +1. I really only use my stick to get "close" to where the opponent is and then snapping with motion from there. And as other people have mentioned, using your subs/specials is critical to being an effective charger, and you'd be surprised how much a splat bomb can push an enemy back.

AceSpade

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AceSpade
Switch Friend Code
SW-2867-1190-1324
These are seriously some of the best tips I’ve seen yet. I saw some seriously amazing test fire footage of a charger inking a path while looking at his map, so I kind of understand what you mean by knowing where your enemy is at all times and how you can run or if they can hide from you and such. What confuses me is the whole shot leading thing, I’ve never heard of that. What exactly would you use that technique in?

A lot of the other information like using the sub on the e-liter is amazing. I typically really like the e-liter and it’s abilities, especially the rain cloud but I go to moray towers (either on turf war or ranked) and do as you say, and stay back and guard the middle. That typically means watching the enemy tower, the right patchway, the left rail and I typically put the mine on the bottom pathway so I know if I’m about to get flanked or not.

Moving up in ranked with only a charger is a very smart idea since if you stay at your current rank it only means that your skill level is at that area. The mode I’ve been pushing ranked is splat zones, since they typically always come to that one area. It’s harder on different maps, but almost always, the enemy goes back to the zone and tries to take you out so you have to be quicker than with tower control where everyone is in a firefight to grab the tower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom