• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Charger Tips?

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
Shot leading is about predicting the movement of an inkling and shooting where they're going to be rather than where they are, you kind of have to get into the kind of your target and know when they're going to come towards you, or when they're going to back off, or if they're engaging with someone else, follow their movements closely so you know where they're going to be and to get the splat and help your teammate out. Unfortunately it just comes with practice, no real shortcuts, but on the plus side it's a technique that can help with any other weapon as I think teaches you predictable movements and helps with shooting moving targets.

If you really want to go all out charger then by all means use it in all ranked, but it's also good to have variety. And if you like shooters too, splatlings are a great alternative to chargers, they offer great support and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, they're not too different to get into.

AceSpade

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AceSpade
Switch Friend Code
SW-2867-1190-1324
Shot leading is about predicting the movement of an inkling and shooting where they're going to be rather than where they are, you kind of have to get into the kind of your target and know when they're going to come towards you, or when they're going to back off, or if they're engaging with someone else, follow their movements closely so you know where they're going to be and to get the splat and help your teammate out. Unfortunately it just comes with practice, no real shortcuts, but on the plus side it's a technique that can help with any other weapon as I think teaches you predictable movements and helps with shooting moving targets.

If you really want to go all out charger then by all means use it in all ranked, but it's also good to have variety. And if you like shooters too, splatlings are a great alternative to chargers, they offer great support and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, they're not too different to get into.
This is seriously insanely good advice. I don’t fancy splatling a much but I’ll definitely give them a shot, because I’ve read that they aren’t too different. I typically like using the octobrush and I’ve been trying out the splattershot pro lately too and have been doing pretty decent with it!

The best part of this advice is that I know about that, but I never had it explained to me so it’s definitely something I want to get to practicing on. I’ve been able to shoot jumping squids almost anytime they attempt to run, and it feels really incredible when you see someone jump off a ledge and you end their entire career before they thought they were going to land. It’s wonderful honestly.

Is their any tips to learn how to predict enemy movement? Any way I could practice this in the training room or will it just develop over time?

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
This is seriously insanely good advice. I don’t fancy splatling a much but I’ll definitely give them a shot, because I’ve read that they aren’t too different. I typically like using the octobrush and I’ve been trying out the splattershot pro lately too and have been doing pretty decent with it!

The best part of this advice is that I know about that, but I never had it explained to me so it’s definitely something I want to get to practicing on. I’ve been able to shoot jumping squids almost anytime they attempt to run, and it feels really incredible when you see someone jump off a ledge and you end their entire career before they thought they were going to land. It’s wonderful honestly.

Is their any tips to learn how to predict enemy movement? Any way I could practice this in the training room or will it just develop over time?
This may sound bad, and it might be just me, but I find the moving dummies can sometimes be detrimental. They all go at different speeds yes, but they go in the same line of movement, so it's a lot easier to tell where they're going to be. Taking the charger into the octoling levels of story mode is a good place to start too, the biggest difference between them and real inklings though is that they fail spectacularly at covering over your ink, meaning often times I expected them to swim away at speed but they got caught in ink and I missed my shot completely, that's why taking n extra split second to fire your shot can be crucial, so you can tell exactly where the enemy is. Hmmn, as to predicting enemy movement, yes when they jump off ledges it's good to tell falling speed but in higher levels people learn that dropping off ledges is better so that's something to take into account. Also, knowing that when people spot a charger they often have one of two reactions, get out of your way as fast as possible and stay out, or try to rush you as fast as possible, and when they're rushing you it's definitely viable to move if you don't think you're gonna get the kill, even throw in a this way command so someone can help you out. Hav no shame in moving back and finding a better position to readjust. Oh and another thing with predicting movement, it's basiclaly just that, predicting movement. Say you're in sturgeon shipyard, and you spot someone in the enemy team's pit and you see they're about to climb the wall, it just becomes a game of timing because you know their head is gonna pop up over that short wall, so you just charge your shot and wait, take that extra split second to adjust your aim if they're came up slightly to the left or right of where you thought they were, and then fire. It can be tough at first but you'll definitely improve with practice, to the point of being able to spot tiny movements with a scoped e litre and then place the shot exactly where they're going to be. In regards to jump shots too, I use it as a last second adjustment to my aim, if I'm going to jump I'll aim a bit below who I'm going to shoot, then jump so the cursor lands on them and then shoot. Jumping can also help if you're behind a short obstacle or on a ledge aiming down the smaller circle is where your shot will hit, whereas the slightly bigger circle is where's the shot would hit, if there she no obstruction. Normally they match up but if youre behind something, they won't, this means your laser won't show, but you can still aim exactly where you want, then just jump so there is no longer an obstruction and shoot.

Also, it might not sound the most interesting, but recon mode is great for charger users, you can see exactly the shots you can make from certain positions, find small bits of terrain that you can peak your shots round and find places where you can make the maximum use of your range.

My friend code is in my bio if you what to take on league or go to privates anytime.

Last edited:

AceSpade

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AceSpade
Switch Friend Code
SW-2867-1190-1324
This may sound bad, and it might be just me, but I find the moving dummies can sometimes be detrimental. They all go at different speeds yes, but they go in the same line of movement, so it's a lot easier to tell where they're going to be. Taking the charger into the octoling levels of story mode is a good place to start too, the biggest difference between them and real inklings though is that they fail spectacularly at covering over your ink, meaning often times I expected them to swim away at speed but they got caught in ink and I missed my shot completely, that's why taking n extra split second to fire your shot can be crucial, so you can tell exactly where the enemy is. Hmmn, as to predicting enemy movement, yes when they jump off ledges it's good to tell falling speed but in higher levels people learn that dropping off ledges is better so that's something to take into account. Also, knowing that when people spot a charger they often have one of two reactions, get out of your way as fast as possible and stay out, or try to rush you as fast as possible, and when they're rushing you it's definitely viable to move if you don't think you're gonna get the kill, even throw in a this way command so someone can help you out. Hav no shame in moving back and finding a better position to readjust. Oh and another thing with predicting movement, it's basiclaly just that, predicting movement. Say you're in sturgeon shipyard, and you spot someone in the enemy team's pit and you see they're about to climb the wall, it just becomes a game of timing because you know their head is gonna pop up over that short wall, so you just charge your shot and wait, take that extra split second to adjust your aim if they're came up slightly to the left or right of where you thought they were, and then fire. It can be tough at first but you'll definitely improve with practice, to the point of being able to spot tiny movements with a scoped e litre and then place the shot exactly where they're going to be. In regards to jump shots too, I use it as a last second adjustment to my aim, if I'm going to jump I'll aim a bit below who I'm going to shoot, then jump so the cursor lands on them and then shoot. Jumping can also help if you're behind a short obstacle or on a ledge aiming down the smaller circle is where your shot will hit, whereas the slightly bigger circle is where's the shot would hit, if there she no obstruction. Normally they match up but if youre behind something, they won't, this means your laser won't show, but you can still aim exactly where you want, then just jump so there is no longer an obstruction and shoot.

Also, it might not sound the most interesting, but recon mode is great for charger users, you can see exactly the shots you can make from certain positions, find small bits of terrain that you can peak your shots round and find places where you can make the maximum use of your range.

My friend code is in my bio if you what to take on league or go to privates anytime.
I think I’m definitely gonna add you and we can chat on discord so you can help me out! I think I’m getting the hang of predicting where people are as I was camping out in the enemy spawn in humpback and I had 8 kills on turf war. Not bad but can definitely be better. I’ll add you tonight after I get off work!! Thanks for the great advice, If you use discord we can use that too and chat there as it’s faster than using a forum!

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
My problem is that I get tired of the practice room and turf war is too short imo. Do you have any recommendations on what I should do to practice? I’ve been attempting to have some private battles but most of the people I do that with almost always get bored and use other weapons .-.

If you'd like, I'll play some matches with you. I can even just swim around if you want some target practice.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
I think most (if not all) of what I'm about to say has already been said, but I'm still going to say it because why not?

-Sensitivity really depends on personal taste, if you want to be really precise with your aiming then use a low sensitivity; if you want your reticle to zip around the map like a bee that's just eaten 3 bowls of children's cereal so that you can splat people without warning, then use a high sensitivity.

I don't really recommend a high sensitivity on the unscoped chargers, because (unless you have very steady hands), one little shake, shiver or twitch before you fire will mean that you miss if you're aiming at a very small, far away opponent. This applies less for scoped chargers, because when you zoom in with the scope everything is bigger so it's easier to aim.

Hope that part made sense.

-In general, when someone gets up close, unless you have a fully charged shot already to shoot them with, retreat. If you have an offensive sub weapon (or a splash wall), throw that at them to delay them, then get to higher ground so you can take them out.

-With the removal of damage up, chargers now have a lot more room in their gear for personal preference, however ink efficiency (ink recovery, main saver and sub saver) as well as mobility (swim speed and run speed) abilities will never not be a good thing.

Respawn punisher is really useful, but only once you get good.

-Also if you're coming to the charger class after using weapons from other classes for a long time (e.g. the shooters), then I recommend using blasters to bridge the gap. You need to be accurate to get the direct hit, but they're a bit more forgiving than chargers.

Turd

Inkling
NNID
yoshi_shioti
Switch Friend Code
SW-2964-4020-4043
I main this weapon along with others but my is the 4k scope

anyway if someone get's close to you try to place down ink mines while running away, ink mines may splat in 3 or 4 if they have sub defense up.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
-Also if you're coming to the charger class after using weapons from other classes for a long time (e.g. the shooters), then I recommend using blasters to bridge the gap. You need to be accurate to get the direct hit, but they're a bit more forgiving than chargers.
I'd rather change it around and say (Heavy) Splatlings are a good bridge class for Chargers. Splatlings don't need super-sharp accuracy to be played well and can still put up a fight at closer ranges, plus they can still ink pretty well and safely if you can't score a lot of kills. Of course, some people may like Splatlings well enough to main them instead!

AceSpade

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AceSpade
Switch Friend Code
SW-2867-1190-1324
If you'd like, I'll play some matches with you. I can even just swim around if you want some target practice.
That’s really kind of you! But I think I’m starting to get the hang of it, and I average around 8/9 kills in turf war with me snapping to exactly where the person will be as I let go of the trigger. It’s pretty amazing how satisfying getting kills with the charger is, especially when you kill two people in one shot. Send them back to spawn I always say

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
snapping to exactly where the person will be as I let go of the trigger.
That's good. Getting used to how inklings move while using various weapons is a big part of getting better.

Reactions: the

△ιηα▽

Inkling
I'm gonna write about my experiences here so...

My sensitivity has always been -1 (motion) +1 for sticks and I primarily use the basic splat charger.

When someone gets close I either A throw a bomb behind me most of the time it either kills them or makes them leave or I just hop away from them as quickly and efficiently as possible now if I'm using an e-litre I usually place ink mines in places I can be sneaked up on and if someone gets too close I just run away to get a bigger gap and then try to splat them I rarely do tap shots that's my last resort if I really have no options left

My gear is

Hat - main swim speed up same for subs

Shirt - main ink recovery up and 3 subs of run speed up idk why I have this tbh

Shoes - they change all the time but main quick super jump and 3 subs of ink resistance and yeah occasionally I use special charge up but meh

I like to be a very mobile charger as in I move and hop around a lot and I'm pretty good at getting myself out of a tight situation I probably only play like this because when I play other weapons I play rlly aggressively.

I would recommend if u wanna play charger rlly well to focus on getting rlly good at movement because a lot of people come up behind you and you need to be good at running away a lot of people might not think it's important but I do and it has saved me so many times

Also snapping shots is so worth it to learn

And please do enjoy playing if u get frustrated it's fine to just be like nah I'm done for today :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom