• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Color Wars: Canceled Xbox 360 game similar to Splatoon

metroxil

Inkling
This looks like a mess.

How long until the anti-Nintendo bandwagon uncover this to try and expose Nintendo for "copying" conveniently ignoring the fact that Microsoft and Sony are also just as inspired by Nintendo?
Ever been on GameFaqs

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
Didn't say they deserved it, just said its their own fault :0

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
Why all the hostility? This was a cool game idea developed by a small team, and I'm sure it would have been fun. It's not as pretty or polished as Splatoon, but that's no reason to attack it.

In memoriam of Color Wars. My first victory in Splatoon will be dedicated to your memory. o7

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
I remember seeing this trailer a few years ago. Funny how people are comparing it to splatoon now

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
Theres an ooooooold PC game that was exactly like Splatoon, forgot the name though
Was it an online game too? I vaguely remember playing something involving shooting paint with platforming-style maps on PC many years ago but I can't remember what it was called either.

Endymion

Pro Squid
NNID
Endymion0
I love how there's a bunch of butthurt microsoft/sony fanboys in the comments section of the video saying Nintendo just stole the idea and added squids xD

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
Was it an online game too? I vaguely remember playing something involving shooting paint with platforming-style maps on PC many years ago but I can't remember what it was called either.
Yes it had an Online Mode. I really wanna know the Name but i can't remember T_T

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Didn't say they deserved it, just said its their own fault :0
The game is actually impressive for the size of team and scope of idea. Game development is a hellish industry with crushing time constraints and little recognition for the amount of work (or even amount of time per team member) that is poured into each title.

Also I think the Digipen students' game 'Tag: The Power of Paint" (They were hired by Valve because of this game and it was the inspiration of Portal 2's Gels) is more similar to Splatoon's ink mechanics where as Colors wars is more similar to the Turf War mechanics. The gels gave you abilities when you walked on them such as high jump, speed, or walking on walls.

ThatsSo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThatsSo
Honestly the concept of coloring an area and getting points for how much you have colored is so ridiculously simple I have a lot of trouble believing this isn't a coincidence. I'm actually surprised we haven't seen a game like this before, considering how simple it is.
Either way, the appeal of Splatoon doesn't really come from just the fact that you have to color things, it comes from the gameplay mechanics that come with that. For me, at least. If you couldn't turn into a squid I probably wouldn't even consider buying this game.

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
The Characters in Color Wars look insanely boring. I never would play a Game with boring Characters.
Everything is Perfect in Splatoon, awesome Gameplay, Cool Maps, lots of different Weapons, interesting Soundtrack (some people don't like the Soundtrack though D: ) aaaaand the coolest Characters ever :3

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
The Characters in Color Wars look insanely boring. I never would play a Game with boring Characters.
Everything is Perfect in Splatoon, awesome Gameplay, Cool Maps, lots of different Weapons, interesting Soundtrack (some people don't like the Soundtrack though D: ) aaaaand the coolest Characters ever :3
Pretty sure it was going to utilize the Avatars for XBOX live or whatever. Some could argue Nintendo's Miis are equally or even more insanely boring than the XBOX avatars especially with their shop. Some people might even go so far as name off some of Nintendo's silent protagonists from throughout the ages as being boring but that's all a matter of taste. We also are on Squidboards, so of course we have a heavy bias towards the designs and mechanics of Splatoon. Splatoon has some incredible character designs and some of its OST reminds me of Pogo or Nakano4's work which is amazing. Maps are nice so far, but I am hoping to see some more unique maps down the road that utilize some of the mechanics in more interesting ways.

YesI'mTaco34

Inkling Cadet
NNID
YesImTaco
Pretty sure it was going to utilize the Avatars for XBOX live or whatever. Some could argue Nintendo's Miis are equally or even more insanely boring than the XBOX avatars especially with their shop. Some people might even go so far as name off some of Nintendo's silent protagonists from throughout the ages as being boring but that's all a matter of taste. We also are on Squidboards, so of course we have a heavy bias towards the designs and mechanics of Splatoon. Splatoon has some incredible character designs and some of its OST reminds me of Pogo or Nakano4's work which is amazing. Maps are nice so far, but I am hoping to see some more unique maps down the road that utilize some of the mechanics in more interesting ways.
i would be really nice if we could just replace Miis with the Inklings

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
i would be really nice if we could just replace Miis with the Inklings
Eh, they have different purposes. Miis are supposed to be pretty standard so you can easily make something resembling you without much detail- They both do their job well and are well designed for their intended niche.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom