• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Competitive Inkbrush?

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
By the way, proof that it’s entirely viable:

View attachment 6308

This might not look like much at first glance, but bear in mind that this is S+4 Splat Zones (one of the least Inkbrush-friendly gamemodes); I was in the centre of the stage for the vast majority of the game; and I was the one both inking the Splat Zone and acting as a beacon. Despite all that, I got joint third splats, joint second fewest deaths, and highest p.
Sorry my dude, but your results in a solo queue game don't mean anything. Just because solo queue doesn't translate directly into competitive splatoon and your good performance doesn't suddenly make a weapon good.

Just because of so many random factors:
Horribly unbalanced teams / weapon compositions

There's little to no coordination, so trying to make team plays is almost unheard of.

And especially in the current okay bar situation, some people might not be motivated to try to their fullest.

Ever since splatoon 1 people have been seeing success with the gimmicky weapons in solo queue, so, 1 player let alone one game doesn't change the weapon's placement in the metagame.

I've covered this before, but I doubt we'll see the inkbrush anywhere anytime soon just because it's outclassed severely by other support weapons.

Aerospray RG
This weapon covers much more turf, kills faster than the brush and has a sub and special to support its team with.

Splattershot Jr
Basically the same as the aerospray, but with ink armor and inkstorm to support.

Dapple Dualies
Much better than an inkbrush in combat, both have wonderful support kits, coupled with dodgerolls and amazing DPS.

And as we all know here, it's an absolute laughing stock when it comes to combat here are just a couple of weapons that outmatch it in combat:
The splat roller
A one shot flick up close and even if it has to go for 2 flicks, it's still faster than the brush's 5 flick, and not to mention more range.

Carbon roller
Every reason with the splat roller, but two flicks to kill is faster and even though it's pretty bad, it still destroys the inkbrush when it comes to combat.

Sploosh o matic
A fast time to kill up close, and with much more paint.

Finally, we have the end all to the inkbrush's hopes to being viable
The Octobrush

It does what the inkbrush can do, except better. (Minus the rolling speed)

A 3 flick kill, with greater range, and generous falloff damage makes the octobrush much better in combat.

Even with painting and support (with the neavou kit), the octobrush still beats out the inkbrush. With it's support oriented kit, allowing it to be useful to the team, even if the octobrush isn't getting any kills.

So what does the inkbrush beat the octobrush in? Rolling speed. That's about it. And even then, the inkbrush's rolling speed is not that much faster than the octobrush's rolling speed.

All three of these reasons pretty much remove an inkbrush from a team composition since the octobrush can be run in that place anyway.

And even then, the octobrush isn't even that common in Competitive. Since it can be outranged and turfed out to keep it away from objectives rather easily.

Hopefully you see my reasoning here, just because you get one good game or you become a good player at one weapon doesn't mean that weapon is good. As that weapon could be replaced by another weapon in that role, or you could get similar if not better results with that replacement weapon.

Which is why I wouldn't say a certain weapon is good even if you brought me you going 30-4 against pros with the inkbrush. All I'd say is: "Yeah that's cool, but the octobrush could have done that" or "Yeah but could another weapon perform even better in that situation?"

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
There are people out there who want to defend many weapons for their own sake. The idea that Silver wants to defend the Inkbrush is no exception to that. Like I said earlier, we all have that weapon that we are good with that much of the community either writes off (usually for good reason) or just doesn't know how to use well. For me, that weapon is the Hydra Splatling. The list of pros isn't too shabby with it.
  • Very long range.
  • Fast firing rate once it gets firing.
  • Three shot kill at full charge.
  • Very long volleys after charging.
  • Those last two points make it theoretically possible to wipe out entire armies of Inklings in one fully charged volley!
But I am aware of the cons that this weapon brings to the table as well.
  • Very long charge time to get to a full charge.
  • Bad mobility, even with a generous helping of Run Speed Up.
  • Eats through ink like a madman. It wants all the ink!
  • Even though range is very good, it doesn't outclass the Heavies by much.
  • Decreased swim speed due to being a heavy weapon, much like the E-Liter.
In the current meta, a lack of mobility can make or break a weapon. I understand this very well, even if I dislike the current meta. Remember, I have a bit of a bias going into this conversation as I was a part of the more long ranged meta of the original Splatoon. I can see how the game's design changed to try to counter that from the first game to the sequel. Even knowing all of this, I still love the Hydra Splatling! But I am under no illusion that it is going to make the meta crumble beneath its weight. It is the same reason that weapons like the E-Liter have crumbled from the glory that it once was in Splatoon 1.

In fact, the comparison to the E-Liter is rather apropos as they both have similar workings. They both have very long range. They both output large amounts of damage, albeit in slightly different ways. They are both heavy weapons. They both require long charge times. What makes one of these weapons more viable than the other is that the Hydra can still be a threat with a partial charge, something that the E-Liter can no longer boast. Combine that with the hit that the E-Liter has taken from the first game in the lack of the Damage Up perk and you can see why this weapon is no longer very viable in high level play. But i think that both weapons can be saved from the depths of the abyss that they currently occupy, and the change would be simple.

Increase their effective range!

Once this is done, then there would be more actual merit to using these weapons! They wouldn't just be seen as the slower versions of the Heavy Splatling/Splat Charger. They would be more so the weapons that you use as the long ranged, more supportive alternatives. Both of these weapons would benefit from this as it would further distinguish them from their brethren without compromising what the weapons do in general. I also think that there should be a movement speed buff to the Hydra, but that's just my opinion. For now, both of these weapons need a range buff badly. Do that and these weapons will be seen as more viable and hopefully get picked up by more players!

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Sorry my dude, but your results in a solo queue game don't mean anything. Just because solo queue doesn't translate directly into competitive splatoon and your good performance doesn't suddenly make a weapon good.

Just because of so many random factors:
Horribly unbalanced teams / weapon compositions

There's little to no coordination, so trying to make team plays is almost unheard of.

And especially in the current okay bar situation, some people might not be motivated to try to their fullest.

Ever since splatoon 1 people have been seeing success with the gimmicky weapons in solo queue, so, 1 player let alone one game doesn't change the weapon's placement in the metagame.

I've covered this before, but I doubt we'll see the inkbrush anywhere anytime soon just because it's outclassed severely by other support weapons.

Aerospray RG
This weapon covers much more turf, kills faster than the brush and has a sub and special to support its team with.

Splattershot Jr
Basically the same as the aerospray, but with ink armor and inkstorm to support.

Dapple Dualies
Much better than an inkbrush in combat, both have wonderful support kits, coupled with dodgerolls and amazing DPS.

And as we all know here, it's an absolute laughing stock when it comes to combat here are just a couple of weapons that outmatch it in combat:
The splat roller
A one shot flick up close and even if it has to go for 2 flicks, it's still faster than the brush's 5 flick, and not to mention more range.

Carbon roller
Every reason with the splat roller, but two flicks to kill is faster and even though it's pretty bad, it still destroys the inkbrush when it comes to combat.

Sploosh o matic
A fast time to kill up close, and with much more paint.

Finally, we have the end all to the inkbrush's hopes to being viable
The Octobrush

It does what the inkbrush can do, except better. (Minus the rolling speed)

A 3 flick kill, with greater range, and generous falloff damage makes the octobrush much better in combat.

Even with painting and support (with the neavou kit), the octobrush still beats out the inkbrush. With it's support oriented kit, allowing it to be useful to the team, even if the octobrush isn't getting any kills.

So what does the inkbrush beat the octobrush in? Rolling speed. That's about it. And even then, the inkbrush's rolling speed is not that much faster than the octobrush's rolling speed.

All three of these reasons pretty much remove an inkbrush from a team composition since the octobrush can be run in that place anyway.

And even then, the octobrush isn't even that common in Competitive. Since it can be outranged and turfed out to keep it away from objectives rather easily.

Hopefully you see my reasoning here, just because you get one good game or you become a good player at one weapon doesn't mean that weapon is good. As that weapon could be replaced by another weapon in that role, or you could get similar if not better results with that replacement weapon.

Which is why I wouldn't say a certain weapon is good even if you brought me you going 30-4 against pros with the inkbrush. All I'd say is: "Yeah that's cool, but the octobrush could have done that" or "Yeah but could another weapon perform even better in that situation?"
Not that I am defending the inkbrush but it does have faster flicking...but that's it. You may see it in clam blitz.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Not that I am defending the inkbrush but it does have faster flicking...but that's it. You may see it in clam blitz.
If you see the Inkbrush in Clam Blitz, that's because it has such a fast running speed when you place the brush down and roll with it. I can see the merit in taking the Inkbrush into Clam Blitz. Rush around, avoiding enemies while gathering clams, and then bum rush their goal with all the clams you collected. I guess you could call it a...Clam Blitz? Thank you, thank you! I'll be here all night!

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
If you see the Inkbrush in Clam Blitz, that's because it has such a fast running speed when you place the brush down and roll with it. I can see the merit in taking the Inkbrush into Clam Blitz. Rush around, avoiding enemies while gathering clams, and then bum rush their goal with all the clams you collected. I guess you could call it a...Clam Blitz? Thank you, thank you! I'll be here all night!
Well yes, that was my implied point...and stop with the bad jokes...you are reminding me of Chuggaaconroy (which I love him but my god his jokes)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom