• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Competitive meta discussion (Splatoon 2)

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Since 3.0 I think I'm seeing more Tentateks and Custom Blasters being used, likely due to the Splashdown nerf, aswell as .96 Gal Decos. Otherwise it's still a pretty good mix of everything. This is just for solo X rank of course. Curious to see if changes occur in tournaments.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Well the US Inkling Invitational is tomorrow morning (8AM PST) on twitch so I'm very interested to see what they use. Most likely a lot of tteks, custom blasters, slosher decos, splash neo, heavy, charger, more vanilla rapids, maybe a dynamo but I doubt it tbh. Zimi, maybe glooga deco, vanilla clash, H3D, N-Zap, Tri-slosher and enperries. Maybe a roller here and there. I realize that's a lot of weapons but there's a lot of weapons being played right now from what I've seen in scrims.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
The way to effectively dodge roll is to instead of going "roll - roll", go "roll - wait - roll - roll" unexpectedly.
Well it doesn’t have to be in that order. Just confuse your opponent. Really the only good part about the Tetras.

Aromaiden

Full Squid
The Meta after 3.0 seems to be pretty good so far. If I had to choose a dominant Special, I'm okay with Inkjet being it.

We could still use some buffs to Tenta Missles to make it not almost completely outclasses by other Specials and some buffs to the likes of Undercover and Luna, but beyond that, we have a decent array of viable options again. Although, it seems that Splattershot are once again the top.

With the blast size buff, Clash actually outranges Splattershot, Splash o Matic, Nzap, .52 Gal, and even the Blaster itself.
It's generally outclassed by its blaster counterparts, except Luna who is in bad spot atm. While it does outrange some, it lacks the Rapids range (which makes up for its slower ttk) and the overall more consistent ttk of Splattershot, Blaster, .52, etc.

The slight difference in splatting is commonly a deciding factor.

Last edited:

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Lmao and now we have Penguitt picking up clash for a game on port mackerel in the Open on Saturday. I'm fairly happy with where the game is now, just a little disappointed we didn't see anything too game-changing in terms of lower tier weapons (E-Liter) but it's fine to be honest. I'm actually pretty happy that inkjet is showing dominance and really hope they don't nerf it. The reason it's outshined the likes of splashdown is because of the skill ceiling of this game. Splashdown is even easier to shut down. Even I'm starting to improve and be more consistent shooting them down on charger.
And then with inkjet, people realized they were good at the game and picked up inkjet and took on the challenge of practicing directs and maneuvering and all that. People realized "well hey I don't have to worry about where I deploy my inkjet if I kill everyone in sight." For this reason, I don't think it needs a nerf. People are being rewarded for being good at the game and that's how it should be. Then we have a slight disappearance (that I hope turns into a bigger disappearance) in stingray. People's comps don't have time to fit it in and run more aggressive comps in favor of more blasters and inkjet as well as zimi and slosher. People are starting to run rapid, custom blaster, ttek and zimi. Or at least something along those lines because everyone wants to have inkjet.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Inkstorm is awful right now. They need to give it it's good painting back because it is a bad bomb now.

Aromaiden

Full Squid
Generally, I think Tenta Missiles should be buffed as well and I can see the case for Inkstorm in its currents state.

Thoughts on Splashdown after the patch?

Personally, I feel very mixed about it. Like I understand its uses, but it seems like it may be among the/if not the worst Special in the game. The fact that it's assigned to some of the weaker weapons in the games also worries me a bit about the future of the weapons using it.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Then
Generally, I think Tenta Missiles should be buffed as well and I can see the case for Inkstorm in its currents state.

Thoughts on Splashdown after the patch?

Personally, I feel very mixed about it. Like I understand its uses, but it seems like it may be among the/if not the worst Special in the game. The fact that it's assigned to some of the weaker weapons in the games also worries me a bit about the future of the weapons using it.
again it is the only special capable of holding the name of “panic button”, but yet now it is starting to lose grip on that term considering how easy it is to put a stop to it. I think if they are going to shut down Splashdown, buff the two other things that are at least semi-panic buttons, you guessed it, Ink Armor And Baller. By giving these specials faster starting times, it can make them more of a panic button. However I don’t think I or anyone else want the Baller back in the frickin meta like it was before, so I would give the cake to Ink Armor, because it hasn’t touched Metagame it’s whole lifespan. Make the thing almost instant or maybe only half a second of delay, I think that it would mitigate Splashdown panic button users.
And also to the people who think Ink Jet could be used to solve problems, no, it just makes you more vulnerable really.

Aromaiden

Full Squid
I think you misunderstood my question. I was asking whether people think the Splashdown is pretty bad now.

Also, Ink Armor is actually pretty relevant and was stupidly dominant in the past. It's the main reason that a lot of people run N-Zap and it was huge during the start of Spla2n with the Tri-Slosher and N-Zap being incredibly dominant because of it.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
I think you misunderstood my question. I was asking whether people think the Splashdown is pretty bad now.

Also, Ink Armor is actually pretty relevant and was stupidly dominant in the past. It's the main reason that a lot of people run N-Zap and it was huge during the start of Spla2n with the Tri-Slosher and N-Zap being incredibly dominant because of it.
Well I don’t think that the Ink Armor has ever truly been in the meta, just the weapons tha it has been on have been prevalent.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Oh and to answer your first question yes I do think Splashdown sucks now unless if you Superjump first.

Aromaiden

Full Squid
I think it was definitely at least partially because of Ink Armor. Stacking Ink Armor after one another was a relevant part of the meta before it was nerfed.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
I think it was definitely at least partially because of Ink Armor. Stacking Ink Armor after one another was a relevant part of the meta before it was nerfed.
Yes but it was really only good against weapons with long charge up times like Dyanmo and E-Liter, which you don’t see a lot of.

Aromaiden

Full Squid
Not really. Stacking it preemptively meant that if you played well, you would basically beat your opponent in each fight. As the Armor provided protection against more than a single attack, like may originally expected. Due to the ink Armor providing a small period of invincibility, it made fights very one-sided.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
And also to the people who think Ink Jet could be used to solve problems, no, it just makes you more vulnerable really.
Lmao you should've seen the US/CA Inkling Open on Saturday. So many inkjets and some amazing inkjet users. It's become quite a prevalent force to be reckoned with recently, with players getting increasingly good at landing directs. Sure it makes you more vulnerable but it doesn't matter if you can direct everyone you see ;) It's a tough special to use but definitely has the highest skill ceiling of any special in the game.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Lmao you should've seen the US/CA Inkling Open on Saturday. So many inkjets and some amazing inkjet users. It's become quite a prevalent force to be reckoned with recently, with players getting increasingly good at landing directs. Sure it makes you more vulnerable but it doesn't matter if you can direct everyone you see ;) It's a tough special to use but definitely has the highest skill ceiling of any special in the game.
It defintely does require the most skill of any special weapon..it requires aim and fluid movement

Rinku

Inkling
NNID
The_Shadow2014
Switch Friend Code
SW-2291-5639-2316
I've loved the Luna blaster since the original, perfect level of damage, fire rate and damage for me. Using my splat bombs like burst bombs also allows me to pick people off a lot more easily. Though, the baller is far from useful in rainmaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom