• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Competitive play, Turf War of Splat Zones?

Turf War or Splat Zones?

• Total voters

noahk777

Senior Squid
NNID
noahgk
Heres a question I'v been wondering about Splatoon: Which game mode will be competitive play? Turf War or Splat Zones? I know that Nintendo are saying that Splat Zones will be more competitive, but thats because its harder, and if its just as hard for everyone that dosen't make it more competitive. So, which one should we play? Also, please don't spam comments about just having both at different times, because there should be a standard mode, like how stock is the standard for Super Smash Bros.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
The answer is Splat Zones! Nintendo has stated multiple times that Splat Zones would have an overall higher level of play while Turf Wars are for everyone.
That's not to be said that Turf Wars can't be played at a competitive level, nor that Splat Zones can't be played for fun, just that Splat Zones has a higher required skill level which is why it's locked from players who aren't lv.10.

Also the game itself doesn't get harder in SZ, just the amount of player interaction is raised in this mode, as compared to Turf Wars where you can objectively play an entire round without needing to really shoot anyone.
If you wanna compare it to Smash, I guess Turf Wars is "Time match" and Splat Zones is "Stock match".

I can imagine that starting out, most tournaments will feature Splat Zones as the standard match setting.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
Yeah splat zones will probably be the standard, but I expect to see a lot of turf war tourneys, especially online. I think it'll be like Smash 4's default tourneys and then the custom move tourneys also running.

grandpappy

You guys made me ink!
NNID
eyeplaybass
Splat Zones for sure. The idea of two teams trying to capture a single place on the map and keep it from each other has a lot deeper strategic value to it, I think. And that's what is going to determine the competitive longevity of this game; the strategic and team-play values of competitive matches.

DigDeep

Senior Squid
I was wondering this same thing recently.

While Turf War is the main mode and what Nintendo is pushing, Splat Zones is more competitive because it will probably require more teamwork/communication, and allow for more strategic plays. Let's not forget there's still more modes coming that we don't know of so there's the possiblility a whole other mode may become the tournament standard. But right now it looks like Splat Zones will be played more often.

I think both can end up seeing competitive play though as separate tournaments or side events.

Whisp3r

Inkster Jr.
I think we should play both. For a bo3 each team can pick a game mode and the last game mode is randomly selected, the team that didn't pick the mode picks the map. Also their will probably be more modes announced in the future.
We could also use a standard sequence of modes for every game, eg: splatzones - turf war - splatzones

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
i think both modes will be competitive, but separated from each other. like there will be cups for turf war and splat zones in the competitive community, each with their own different seasons, like how tf2 does 6v6 and highlander (9v9)

IMO i think splat zones will be the more popular mode because of its higher skill ceiling, but turf wars simplicity is probably gonna make players adopt an unorthodox meta, which is exciting in its own right

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
It's gonna be Battle Dojo. #confirmed.

In all honesty, it's likely going to be both.

Undr

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of incorporating both into the same scene. It's not a concept a lot of people are familiar with here, but if both are competitively viable, I see no reason why it shouldn't be at least discussed.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I wouldn't rule out the possibility of incorporating both into the same scene. It's not a concept a lot of people are familiar with here, but if both are competitively viable, I see no reason why it shouldn't be at least discussed.
my point exactly

we don't have to choose between one or the other if both are good, there's nothing in the way of us playing both at a competitive, skillful level

Whisp3r

Inkster Jr.
Yea, it seems like a shame to just leave out a game mode if both are viable, and I think more modes are on the way. More variety is better I think, even in competitive play.

noahk777

Senior Squid
NNID
noahgk
Wow, I'v `got a lot of replys..... and none of them noticed the typo in this thread's title! And now I'm changing it, so you'll never see! Mhawhahahaha!

But yeah, probably both.

EDIT: Turns out you can't change the title, so..... it says 'of' instead of 'or'. Derp.

thefro

Full Squid
Should be both Turf War & Splat Zones, AND whatever other modes there are (unless those other modes are crap for whatever reason).

Most FPS/TPS games incorporate multiple game modes into their competitive scenes.

HaDeeZ

Senior Squid
I personally don't think Turf war will be very competitive but as others have said we can easily incorporate multiple different games if they are competitively viable.

noahk777

Senior Squid
NNID
noahgk
OK, just watched the Splatoon direcdt, while their probably will be tournaments for each, it'll be hard to have all those modes at one tournament, as it looks like theirs gonna be a lot of them. Right now I'm gonna say that Tower thing will be the way to go.

HaDeeZ

Senior Squid
OK, just watched the Splatoon direcdt, while their probably will be tournaments for each, it'll be hard to have all those modes at one tournament, as it looks like theirs gonna be a lot of them. Right now I'm gonna say that Tower thing will be the way to go.
It won't be difficult, modes can just alternate during the series.Say for example we wanted to use all 3 then a Bo3 could be

Game 1 - Towergame
Game 2 - Splatzone
Game 3 - Turfwar

(in a Bo5)

Game 4 - Towergame
Game 5 - Splatzone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom