• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Competitive play, Turf War of Splat Zones?

Turf War or Splat Zones?

• Total voters

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
If we have to choose one, I think it is way too earlier to pick one over the others. With that said, Splat zone was clearly designed with competitive play in mind so if we can only choose one, we should choose that.

I would assume balance patches and the like would be focused on that mode. With that said, having options is certainly the best options. Would make it better for people to join into the competitive scene and have fun. Not to mention some people will just have better experience in other modes.

BoTalksGames

Pro Squid
Content Team
NNID
BjFauble
Tower Control looks the most competitive in my opinion, it's going to lead to some really exciting moments. Splat Zones would be the runner up (basically Hardpoint from Call of Duty). Turf War isn't going to be as competitive as those two.

Burgundy Blade

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SuperSableye24
I think Splat Zones and Tower control would be the most competitive, but Turf War looks fun as well. It could be any of them really.

noahk777

Senior Squid
NNID
noahgk
I still think Tower Control looks the most competitive. It'll probably the most team-based one, seeing as you really have to work together perfectly.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
I was thinking Turf War this whole time, but anything works I guess. For squad battles I feel both teams could agree on one mode and play it, or alternate between modes each battle. I'm looking forward to seeing what will be the standard, if any. :D

JBtheHunter

Inkling
NNID
JerBear92
I prefer Turf War because it actually takes advantage of the entire map rather than a single area of the map. It's the mode that Splatoon was built around and the mode most people will play. Splat Zones might be more difficult, but it's also way more limited. Both modes will involve lots of strategy, but Turf War is the best display of the game's mechanics. I'd much rather swim around the entire map as a squid and strategically attempt to cover every corner of it than just keep swimming to the same spot over and over. There's always the chance that both will be played competitively, but I'd bet that eventually we will primarily be playing Turf War at tournaments.

ecaflip

Inkster Jr.
NNID
None
While splatzones may be more team coordinated, I find that centralized maps are far too simple minded for my liking, if I were to organize comp matches, I'd play them out on turf wars for the fact that it'll be playing all over the map instead of dog piling into one little square.

Burgundy Blade

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SuperSableye24
I think Turf War will be my mode of choice. Unlike Splat Zones, which is almost exclusively combat, Turf Wars will have a more strategic element to it. Plus, I'd rather roam the full map, and not be stuck to just a single square.

SmashCapps

Senior Squid
NNID
Quixzen
For long term stuff thinking of viewership and such, Turf Wars will be the game mode most players know about and recognize. Plus it has a solid strategic element to it, enough to keep the game competitive. If it turns out to be a bit light we can always try other modes, or tournaments can just host each mode separately.

SpecialtySake

Pro Squid
For long term stuff thinking of viewership and such, Turf Wars will be the game mode most players know about and recognize. Plus it has a solid strategic element to it, enough to keep the game competitive. If it turns out to be a bit light we can always try other modes, or tournaments can just host each mode separately.
Agreed. Tournaments should dabble in both before deciding on or the other.

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
Turf Wars seem to be severely unbalanced between weapons. I definitely think that Splat Zones are way to go in competitive play, just because the area controlling mechanic brings many different strategies on the table. Turf Wars seem to be only about holding down the firing button until you're out of ink. Just based on the demo experience Turf Wars seem to be far too simple to be part of the competitive scene.

JBtheHunter

Inkling
NNID
JerBear92
Turf Wars seem to be severely unbalanced between weapons. I definitely think that Splat Zones are way to go in competitive play, just because the area controlling mechanic brings many different strategies on the table. Turf Wars seem to be only about holding down the firing button until you're out of ink. Just based on the demo experience Turf Wars seem to be far too simple to be part of the competitive scene.
Turf War is so much more than holding down the firing button. There is plenty of strategy and way fewer limits. Splat Zones basically makes the uniqueness of each map irrelevant because it's all about one spot on the map, but in Turf War you have to use a different strategy for each map.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom