• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Complete Weapons Guide: An Overview/Grade of Every Weapon in the Game

Leanny

Senior Squid
NNID
Leanny
Yeah, got 99pt A+ with a grade F weapon (Splatterscope). Now I'm feeling confident enough.

The Goomy

Inkling
NNID
IAmTheGoomy
Hey guys! Thanks for the input. :S

I feel like most of the criticism comes from people who disagree with my opinion.
It's impossible to not have your opinion come into play when doing something like this and I stated at the beginning that some of it is opinion based and therefore shouldn't necessarily be taken as fact.

@Robotoboy20 I'm not really sure how I "trashed" the Nozzlenose. I definitely feel that it's underwhelming when I've used it in ranked and turf war. And I think this sentiment is generally held by most players as it's been weeks since I've even seen one, let alone seen someone using it effectively. However, usage rate doesn't necessarily equate to viability, but it's my opinion that it's not a very good class.

This being said, literally every weapon in the game can be used effectively if you put a crap ton of time into it. I know the scoped snipers have some sort of usefulness, I just personally don't see why you would cripple your ability to see what's around you for 3 extra range, when I actually find the non-scoped sniping to be easier.

@Phobos While it does have (slightly) less range, its effective range is much higher, especially with the higher damage rating: maybe I didn't make this point clearly in the main post.

This post was not meant to be an end-all-be-all grading system, but rather my viewpoint/experiences, as I have tried every gun in the game. I hope that this thread continues to spark discussion and good arguments for why people like certain weapons, new ways to use them, or even finding new counters to guns that are commonly considered good!

Phobos

Inkling Commander
While it does have (slightly) less range, its effective range is much higher, especially with the higher damage rating: maybe I didn't make this point clearly in the main post.
Yeah I figured that's what you meant - just seemed a little ambiguous in the text :)

InkCGO

Inkling
Your post is fairly well put together for being what you described as a 'viewpoint/experience' response. Would also aid new players in picking up new guns to try out or utilize. I don't think the grades you applied extend beyond this base perspective. It's a good guide for new players who have a play style of 'get kills' and don't know which weapon they prefer yet.

There's too much depth and intricacy with each weapon for each game mode to just jumble them all together and apply a rank. At most, you would have to separate the game modes with a different grade for each to start knocking on a true 'A+99 guide'. There's also roles that certain weapons fulfill well, but it seems like none of these were a favourable style of yours to use.

The Goomy

Inkling
NNID
IAmTheGoomy
Your post is fairly well put together for being what you described as a 'viewpoint/experience' response. Would also aid new players in picking up new guns to try out or utilize. I don't think the grades you applied extend beyond this base perspective. It's a good guide for new players who have a play style of 'get kills' and don't know which weapon they prefer yet.

There's too much depth and intricacy with each weapon for each game mode to just jumble them all together and apply a rank. At most, you would have to separate the game modes with a different grade for each to start knocking on a true 'A+99 guide'. There's also roles that certain weapons fulfill well, but it seems like none of these were a favourable style of yours to use.
It's difficult to fill out all of those intricacies individually, as that would require using every gun for a very long time to learn all the intricacies, as well as the fact that it took me 8 hours to write this as is (30,000 characters!). Thanks for the feedback!

I do have to disagree with saying that the guide only talks about getting kills, as I talked a fair amount about supporting the team and support the tower. How you can use sub weapons to capture zones etc. Regardless, getting kills supports the team plenty and is a good way to get into a new weapon. Knowing how to get kills with it is the best way to start and you can develop your own playstyle with each gun yourself.

Last edited:

Robotoboy20

Squid Scout
NNID
robotoboy30
@Robotoboy20 I'm not really sure how I "trashed" the Nozzlenose. I definitely feel that it's underwhelming when I've used it in ranked and turf war. And I think this sentiment is generally held by most players as it's been weeks since I've even seen one, let alone seen someone using it effectively. However, usage rate doesn't necessarily equate to viability, but it's my opinion that it's not a very good class.

This being said, literally every weapon in the game can be used effectively if you put a crap ton of time into it. I know the scoped snipers have some sort of usefulness, I just personally don't see why you would cripple your ability to see what's around you for 3 extra range, when I actually find the non-scoped sniping to be easier.
Sorry I'd had a very bad day. I shouldn't have been so aggressive. I do disagree with you list though.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
Oh my god...it's range is actually VERY good... seriously. Dude... can we have a game where people don't just trash on a whole set of options the game gives you!? Fighting games are filled with this kind of crap. Truth is I completely disagree, and you rip on my favorite weapons. I think the devs put these in here for a reason. It's not like they just said "Welp! We need more options, just throw something together" I'm almost certain they play tested their game, and looked at the overall usefulness of these weapons. Just because somebody reaches A+99 doesn't mean anything. You want the absolute truth? I think you didn't learn how to use these weapons properly. I main the Nozzlenose and do just fine with it in higher ranks. Please stop trying to phase out options with weird opinions.

I've read people telling me the gun has a "slow kill speed" and "It's range sucks" and even "You need perfect aim to hit with it" none of that is true... I've mained this thing since it came out... and the kneejerk reaction and hilarious interpretation that Splatoon isn't made for burst fire cracks me up. None of this is true. Take it from me folks, the Nozzlenose is a very good gun that requires more a technical play style than some of the other more brain dead weapons.
First, you were pretty disrespectful in how you came across in that text. Second, the reason he is grading it so low is because it is usually "outclassed" (not the best word) by other weapons. Sure, when put in the correct hands, it is very good. But when creating a guide like this, you gotta look at weapons overall, in every mode, to how a player generally uses it. So, instead of being a bit rue, try to think about how this guide was formed. If you feel like you can create a much better one since you appear to have a lot more insight on some of the weapons (in your opinion), then go ahead and o it, no one is stopping you. But please try to use tact next time.

EDIT: Sorrystuff was posted in this thread while I was typing. Feel free to ignore most of what I typed.

LemonPlaid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Exo-Josh
I can't say for 100% sure but it appears with the exception of rollers it appears you forgot to account for movement speed during and out of shooting with blasters and chargers. Besides the 3 hit vs 2 hit, this is another reason why the .96 gal series is worse than the .54 gal

Robotoboy20

Squid Scout
NNID
robotoboy30
First, you were pretty disrespectful in how you came across in that text. Second, the reason he is grading it so low is because it is usually "outclassed" (not the best word) by other weapons. Sure, when put in the correct hands, it is very good. But when creating a guide like this, you gotta look at weapons overall, in every mode, to how a player generally uses it. So, instead of being a bit rue, try to think about how this guide was formed. If you feel like you can create a much better one since you appear to have a lot more insight on some of the weapons (in your opinion), then go ahead and o it, no one is stopping you. But please try to use tact next time.

EDIT: Sorrystuff was posted in this thread while I was typing. Feel free to ignore most of what I typed.
Ah yeah, I was kind of a jerk... I realized that. I actually have written a couple of extensive guides on the Custom Jr. and the L-3 Nozzlenose. I mean my opinion is different, and I've had pretty great success with both of those weapons, but yeah --- gotta respect people's opinions... Sorry about that.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
Ah yeah, I was kind of a jerk... I realized that. I actually have written a couple of extensive guides on the Custom Jr. and the L-3 Nozzlenose. I mean my opinion is different, and I've had pretty great success with both of those weapons, but yeah --- gotta respect people's opinions... Sorry about that.
Hey it's all good. I come off pretty blunt a lot of times as well. Plus, you're having a bad day. I don't know the background, so I can't say much. :)

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Splash-o-Matic should be a B, imo. Its fantastic in both ranked modes and its special if used correctly in turf wars can turn the tide better than inkstrikes.

Also, Ink Brush best mode is turf war. Pointwise, its pretty equivalent to the Aerosprays.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
I can't say for 100% sure but it appears with the exception of rollers it appears you forgot to account for movement speed during and out of shooting with blasters and chargers. Besides the 3 hit vs 2 hit, this is another reason why the .96 gal series is worse than the .54 gal
I actually wanted to bring this up, all the data I've seen had the .96 as a two shot splat, and unlike the .52 gal no amount of defense up will drop it to a 3 shot.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
I can't believe you put splattershot tentatek as having all maps being good for it. I am an A rank regular splattershot and I used a lot of tentatek getting up there. There are 3 maps I would say that do not bode well for that weapon.
Kelp Dome: This weapon isn't exactly bad for this stage, but there are so many weapons that are amazing for this stage which greatly hinders its advantage. Pro, Dual, Dynamo, Squiffer, and Squelcher come to mind.
Moray Towers: It is hard to launch a formidable assault on this stage without getting stopped by a dual squelcher, 3k, or roller. Suction bombs can deal with some of the pressure, but not enough to actually give you any freedom for 1v1s.
Arowana Mall: Chargers, Squelchers. That is all I have to say. It is imposible to focus on high ground hostiles and zone invaders at the same time.
I think you were right about the regular splattershot though, since it is my main.

winner133

Full Squid
NNID
winner133
I can't believe you put splattershot tentatek as having all maps being good for it. I am an A rank regular splattershot and I used a lot of tentatek getting up there. There are 3 maps I would say that do not bode well for that weapon.
Kelp Dome: This weapon isn't exactly bad for this stage, but there are so many weapons that are amazing for this stage which greatly hinders its advantage. Pro, Dual, Dynamo, Squiffer, and Squelcher come to mind.
Moray Towers: It is hard to launch a formidable assault on this stage without getting stopped by a dual squelcher, 3k, or roller. Suction bombs can deal with some of the pressure, but not enough to actually give you any freedom for 1v1s.
Arowana Mall: Chargers, Squelchers. That is all I have to say. It is imposible to focus on high ground hostiles and zone invaders at the same time.
I think you were right about the regular splattershot though, since it is my main.

For the mall it can use the ink Zooka to reach chargers

Last edited:

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
Nice guide! But the above is slightly misleading - the aerosprays and splash-o-matic actually have the same maximum range (well, more or less - the aeorspray is listed at 32 to the SoM's 30). It's just that the SoM is more effective than the aerospray towards its maximum range due to its straighter firing pattern.

identical range, as it happens

EDIT: columns are muzzle velocity, straight frame, guide frame respectively (the latter two of which determine max damage range and the range that everyone's familiar with)

WowItsCharles

Inkling
NNID
WowItsCharles
I logged in just to write this. Great overview. I too have extensively played splatoon (200 hours in the first month since the game came out) and also hit A+ Rank with 99 points (however I have since then dropped to only 50 points due to money grinding).

As someone who also is very comfortable within the meta of the game, I must say great post, listing the overview of each and every weapon. I agreed with everything in this post (except for maybe I would make inkbrush's best gamemode Turf Wars but meh, its decent at both) and im glad the info is in this comprehensive list, all compiled together.

Thank you! :D

Last edited:

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425

identical range, as it happens

EDIT: columns are muzzle velocity, straight frame, guide frame respectively (the latter two of which determine max damage range and the range that everyone's familiar with)
link to data please and thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom