• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Complete Weapons Guide: An Overview/Grade of Every Weapon in the Game

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
Splatterscope at F because it "cripples your vision"? next time grade weapons when you know how to use them, thank you. The Splatterscope has longer range than the vanilla chanrger, and helps aim when used correctly. Yes, it cripples your aim if you charge and THEN look for enemies, but if you reverse that, then you will have a much better time.

winner133

Full Squid
NNID
winner133
I'm liking too much posts here.....

but seriously I think you should try the weapons again and maybe revise them, I think the 96 gal deco should be bumped to a A+ but that's just me.
Also the main reason I don't like is how you put F ranks, it seems like you didn't even try them, all you just put is a review and said "done!" You didn't even put the counters or best stages like the other weapons.

plus krak on roller at least in my opinion shouldn't be that high but again that's me.

Edit: Plus ink brush B-, wat
Edit2: It's best in splat zone, double wat

I would explain my reasons but I'm pretty sure most people know them, I would post if you want me too

Last edited:

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
I don't understand why Spllatershot Jr. is A-. I main that weapon and I even don't think it's that great. I'd consider B at best. I only use because it works well with my aggressive playstyle.

and Splooshomatic at C? Why not F? It's the worst weapon I ever tried. You literally can't do anything with it unless you're face to face, which wont happen because you'll already be dead from longer range weapons.

Looks like other people already disagreed with Inkbrush being B- too. Inkbrush loses all usefulness within about 15 seconds in on Splat Zones. It's much better suited for Turf Wars. There's simply no use for it after helping your team get to the zone.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Honestly I disagree with a lot of this thread. Krakon Roller as A? Nah. Tentatek has no inferior or superior maps for implying that it is a perfectly all-rounder weapon. Nope. Scoped chargers just worse than their non-scoped counterparts? Certainly not. I think you should stick to weapons you know well. I understand that you put a lot of time into this with a lot of care but, no offense, some of these reviews came off as a little ignorant. As a whole though its pretty good.

Last edited:

Robotoboy20

Squid Scout
NNID
robotoboy30
I don't understand why Spllatershot Jr. is A-. I main that weapon and I even don't think it's that great. I'd consider B at best. I only use because it works well with my aggressive playstyle.

and Splooshomatic at C? Why not F? It's the worst weapon I ever tried. You literally can't do anything with it unless you're face to face, which wont happen because you'll already be dead from longer range weapons.

Looks like other people already disagreed with Inkbrush being B- too. Inkbrush loses all usefulness within about 15 seconds in on Splat Zones. It's much better suited for Turf Wars. There's simply no use for it after helping your team get to the zone.
Where'd you get that avatar? Also the entire concept that you'll be dead from weapons that have longer range assumes you're constantly out in the open and not great at flanking, or surprising your opponent. Many longer ranged guns suffer in close due to their lack of spread.

Nyleator

Inkling
Jet Squelcher (80/32/40) – Shooter, Sub: Splash Wall, Special: Inkstrike

The Jet Squelcher is a really cool weapon that can work well in all game modes. The Splash Wall is amazing for team support, as you can put it into crucial choke points and use it to push forward with your amazing range. In addition, the Inkstrike helps to take control of zones in Splat Zones. The only bad thing about this weapon is that it’s really weak and therefore takes a lot of good aim from distance to get kills. The spread on this gun is decent and really should be used more than it is.

(For some reason this is the only size picture, sorry)

Best Gamemode: All

Best Map: Kelp Dome/Moray Towers

Worst Map: Blackbelly Skatepark

Best Counter: Rushing

Grade: B+

Kelp Splat Charger (85/50/40) – Charger, Sub: Sprinkler, Special: Killer Wail

The Kelp Splat Charger is definitely a good charger. Its range of 85 is definitely excellent and its charge time is pretty decent as well. Unfortunately where it falls short is in the Sub. Although the Sprinkler is an amazing option for most classes, it makes the weapon completely vulnerable from close range as there is nothing you can hit the opponent with from close. The Killer Wail is a decent special but does not help the close range issue. Definitely could be better. This gun needs good team support to succeed.

Best Gamemode: Splat Zones

Best Map: Arowana Mall/Moray Towers

Worst Map: None (Chargers are cool in this way)

Best Counter: Rushing

Grade: C+

Kelp Splatterscope (88/50/35) – Charger, Sub: Sprinkler, Special: Killer Wail

Don’t use this. The scope is unnecessary and not helpful. Splat Charger is better in every way, with the same Sub/Special.

Grade: F

Krak-On Splat Roller (55/50/40) – Roller, Sub: Squid Beakon, Special: Kraken

The Krak-On Splat Roller is extremely similar to the Tentatek Splattershot in that its stats are somehow so mediocre that it makes an amazing weapon. The Krak-On is a good weapon that works on pretty much any map, any gamemode, any style. It’s a fast roller that also has the option to flick at a decent range. In addition, it splats incredibly quickly and is a 1HKO when rolling and splatting. The Squid Beakon is an amazing Sub on rollers as they are generally going to be able to get where they want to and normally have the ink to place them. These are crucial for winning on certain Splat Zones maps (Saltspray Rig), and support the team. The Kraken is nice for using in dicey situations, and also can be used to ride the tower in Tower Control.

Best Gamemode: All

Best Map: All

Worst Map: None

Best Counter: Outplaying your opponent

Grade: A

L-3 Nozzlenose (57/40/Burst) – Shooter, Sub: Disruptor, Special: Killer Wail

The L-3 Nozzlenose is completely unique in that it’s the only gun in the game that is a burst fire. I feel like this is underwhelming in a game where the main goal should be to ABI (Always Be Inking). It’s hard to keep a consistent stream of ink with this gun. Unfortunately, these flaws are not mitigated by amazing stats. Its range is relatively poor, and the damage is abysmal. The Disruptor is a really cool Sub without a lot of distribution, but it’s not enough to make it a good weapon. The Killer Wail is mediocre as well.

Best Gamemode: Turf War

Best Map: Arowana Mall/Urchin Underpass

Worst Map: Kelp Dome

Counter: Pretty much everything

Grade: C-

Luna Blaster* (10/80/30) – Blaster, Sub: Ink Mine, Special: Inkzooka

First off, I’d like to say that the Luna Blaster looks bad a**. I want to own one of these in real life. Anyway, the Luna Blaster is an amazing choice on Tower Control. It hits incredibly hard, and you don’t have to hit the target to do damage. In addition, the range is not as much of a liability on Tower Control as most of the action is really close. The Ink Mine is useful to put onto the tower to help defend it, and it can even be placed on choke points to help gain momentum. And finally, the Inkzooka is an amazing special for any short ranged gun, and the Luna Blaster is no exception. It’s useful to hang onto until you get into a crappy situation from range and them BAM, get them. Such a cool gun, such a cool class, such Luna, much Blaster, WOW.

Best Gamemode: Tower Control

Best Map: Bluefin Depot/Urchin Underpass

Worst Map: Kelp Dome

Counter: Range or minimum effective range

Grade: A- (this is totally biased it should be B+, but it’s too cool to give that grade)

New Squiffer (65/70/60) – Charger, Sub: Ink Mine, Special: Inkzooka

The New Squiffer is definitely an interesting gun that actually performs a little better compared to its counterpart the Classic Squiffer. What separates the New Squiffer from other chargers is its incredibly short charge time, as well as the fact that it is still a 1HKO. Unfortunately, it is still outranged by things like the .96 Gal and Splattershot Pro, but it’s useful for pretty much everything else. The Ink Mine can be used to protect yourself from close up, while the Inkzooka can increase your effective range. Definitely a cool weapon that is so different than all the other chargers.

Best Gamemode: Tower Control

Best Map: Blackbelly Skatepark/Kelp Dome

Worst Map: Arowana Mall

Best Counter: Snipers

Grade: B

N-Zap ‘85* (50/32/75) – Shooter, Sub: Splat Bomb, Special: Echolocator

Ah, the N-Zap ’85, one of the first weapons I seriously considered maining. I really enjoy using this gun, the spread and fire rate are incredible, and really allow you to put offensive pressure on the opponent. In addition, the range of 50 with the fire rate of 75 is almost unprecedented. It’s really awesome seeing the coverage that this gun has, and it actually kills really quickly at close range. The Splat Bomb increases the range of the weapon further by letting you toss them into areas you can’t normally reach. Echolocator is amazing on a weapon like this that covers a lot of turf, as you can charge it pretty quickly and support your team.

Best Map: Blackbelly Skatepark/Kelp Dome

Worst Map: Port Mackeral

Best Counter: Snipers and Midrange Guns

Grade: B+

Rapid Blaster (45/35/40) – Blaster, Sub: Ink Mine, Special: Bubbler

Don’t use this please. It’s so inferior to all the other blasters.

Rapid Blaster Deco (45/35/40) – Blaster, Sub: Suction Bomb, Special: Bomb Rush

Somehow worse than the Rapid Blaster.

Really underrated, I got 20 kills with the Rapid Blaster Deco in an A lobby for tower control!

Despicable

Inkling
Really underrated, I got 20 kills with the Rapid Blaster Deco in an A lobby for tower control!
nice, but A ≠ good and 1 ≠ many

try doing consistently well with the weapon; you probably won't succeed

Last edited:

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
I'm confused with my weapons right now. I started out using the Splash-O-Matic, I was quite aggressive and my aim isnt too bad, so it worked. Occassionally I would be out ranged on some maps and I started using the Custom Dual Squelcher, again I had success and moved to A-, but since then I've been playing **** at the higher level. I find I can't hit anything thats close to me. I then tried the Custom Blaster for the first time in a turf war and went 15-0, kind of a wtf moment, So confused right now. I know turf war isnt anything to go by, but should I be trying to play the blaster?

Last edited:

winner133

Full Squid
NNID
winner133
I'm confused with my weapons right now. I started out using the Splash-O-Matic, I was quite aggressive and my aim isnt too bad, so it worked. Occassionally I would be out ranged on some maps and I started using the Custom Dual Squelcher, again I had success and moved to A-, but since then I've been playing **** at the higher level. I find I can't hit anything thats close to me. I then tried the Custom Blaster for the first time in a turf war and went 15-0, kind of a wtf moment, So confused right now. I know turf war isnt anything to go by, but should I be trying to play the blaster?
Whatever weapon you like

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Where'd you get that avatar? Also the entire concept that you'll be dead from weapons that have longer range assumes you're constantly out in the open and not great at flanking, or surprising your opponent. Many longer ranged guns suffer in close due to their lack of spread.
Tumblr. Japanese artist named Sizma. Here.

MickX

Inkster Jr.
I'd say the Kelp Splat Charger might have some usefulness as a different playstyle/approach to Tower Control, playing mostly as a Killer Wail generator. Basically toss Sprinklers to paint areas close to your base for free special gauge filling while you contest, zone and possibly kill enemies at the center (later on Sprinklers can serve as distractions or as weak meatshields when placed on the tower). Though that's probably a niche as best, and the regular Splat Charger might be a tad more consistent overall especially if you tend to end up in teams that are lacking in bomb-type sub weapons (I sure remember a lot of times where I wished for a Splat Bomb Rush to stop the enemy team's push xD).

As for whether to use scoped chargers or not I feel it's a matter of playstyle and preference. I personally can't use the non-scoped variants because I can't seem to focus well on distant targets without that brief zoom-in that happens before the scope encloses your vision. It really throws me off for some reason. Having half a line in the test area worth of extra range only depends on whether you can make good use of the scope mechanic or not tbh, I say go with whatever method the player prefers.

Other than that I have little else to add to my commentary without repeating what others have already said. Great effort there, keep it up! :D

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
So is this list unchangable or are you going to listen to peoples opinions and put it in he OP?

Summer1401

Full Squid
NNID
Litaker
Custom E-Liter 3K (97/20/15) – Charger, Sub: Squid Beakon, Special: Kraken

The Custom E-Liter 3K is everything wrong that the original E-Liter does right. Although the class still has the same gun (with the best range in the game), it unfortunately has weird and not useful Sub and Special. The Squid Beakon is not useful for a charger as you are usually not pushing into opposing territory. In addition, the Kraken nerf made it significantly worse, as well as the fact that you are usually not going to be close to the action to get kills with it anyway. Wasted potential on an amazing gun.

Best Map: Arowana Mall/Moray Towers

Worst Map: None

Best Counter: Getting close

Grade: C+
Yes, love, because getting close to a kraken is such a good idea. And please realize that the beacons are more for your team mates then you yourself. Finally some paint brush recognition. I have no idea why every one hates it so much. The scope extra range makes a difference when faced with another charger. the range helps but the lost sight is a bit of a hindrance. Put those scopes at the same grade as normal chargers Just kinda over all think of how everything weapons work in teams and against teams not just one on one.

Zauron

Inkling
.96 Gal is a 2HKO weapon not a 3HKO weapon. In fact, unlike the .52 Gal, its ALWAYS a 2HKO weapon regardless of how much Defense Ups the opponent has, whereas the .52 Gal drops to a 3HKO with 1 main Defense Up (meaning a .52 Gal user should probably roll with at least one main Damage Up whereas a .96 Gal doesn't really need to).

Also, the L3 Nozzlenose's major strength is having literally the best accuracy of all non-blaster non-charger weapons at 96.67%, on top of having better range than all shooters besides the Squelchers, Pro, and .96 Gal. Its also the fastest possible firing rate within its 3-shot burst at 4 frames like the Aerosprays but better damage than them. The fact that it is burst fire actually gives it incredible mobility when combined with Run Speed Up. If an enemy is even slightly damaged (by say happening to stand in your ink for a split second) it can essentially insta-splat due to the incredible accuracy and firing rate meaning all 3 bullets of a burst are pretty much guaranteed to hit with good aim (and using a Disrupter on them first so they can't move makes getting off that aimed shot ink-redibly easy!).

You may be right that its obvious flaws (poor ground inking speed, needing 2 bursts to kill a full-health enemy, sub-par sub/special loudout) keeps it from being a great gun but to claim it has poor range and damage is just inaccurate.

You may want to check out the hard data, pulled directly from the game itself, on some of these guns and make some corrections here and there: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ezdePv6wCyIXewhVMt_KqjTQV64Fz5BeWbR7R9BtUHY

Last edited:

jubilee

Inkling
Nicely done, one can see the effort that you put into making this. However, in my opinion you shouldn't just slap an F on a weapon since someone might just prefer for example the scope over the non-scope one, for example the added ease in aiming, and actually get better results because of that. I think the users of the non-scope chargers might enjoy the ability to be able to succeed better in the middle of enemies that are running around whereas scope users perhaps like the campier and the more stay-away/careful playstyle. Overall, it might just might just be preference with these two weapons since either one has clear benefits and disadvantages when compared to the other.

Also, imho, you shouldn't just write sentence about how a weapon is bad or how no one should ever use or even try to use it(Rapid Blaster). This way, fewer people will try to advance the specific playstyle/strategies of the weapon or even make the weapon work. I think that you should at leasy give an explanation or some arguments for why the weapon is "bad". Then perhaps everyone would understand your given grade, or, if not, maybe some healthy discussion would arise. :)

One more thing. The Squiffers do get outranged by .96 Gal, Pro and Dual in paint range, but not in damage range(not counting damage induced by standing in enemy ink). This actually means that if you space yourself correctly, you can take them down before they can you.

Last edited:

RiDEL

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RiDEL_Puff
Yeah, got 99pt A+ with a grade F weapon (Splatterscope). Now I'm feeling confident enough.
I honestly think he greatly underestimates the scope. This is probably the dumbest reason to put it in F to be honest. The scope really doesn't infringe on your vision to much nor does it completely change how effective the weapon is in general. When choosing between scope or default it mostly comes down to preference or if you have difficulty aiming. Personally I love scope over default the little twitches I can get while scoped as saved my life more times then I can count, and the scope hasn't gotten me killed once yet.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
I'm assuming you were just ***-pulling for Dynamos? Port Mackeral is one of the best maps for Gold Dynamo. So is Bluefin. Like, Bluefin is so good for Dynamo that I'm positive most of this list is just stabs in the dark.

The actual counters for Dynamos are chargers and blasters.

If you're listing Krakon Roller as good on all maps then Dynamo has no map weaknesses either.

Ponytail

Inkling
After reading about eh, 13 or so comments, I have decided to give my *gasp* opinion on scopes.
So, as far as the scopes go, I went into the testing zone and decided to ignore everything you said about the +3 because honestly, that number means nothing to me at all. It's a number assigned to a value I know nothing about.
So, I found with all of them the range is increased by about 2/3 of a zone. A zone being the space between two dotted lines. That brings the Eliter 3k from 8 1/3 zones up to 9, which is brutally far.

Also, limiting your sight isn't a big deal. I thought it would be awful at first but let's be honest, when you're charging up a shot you won't be able to turn around and shoot the person behind you before they kill you anyways. If you're covering territory, you won't have limited vision for long at all. Also, that's pretty significant in the fact that it allows you to out-range a freaking normal Eliter 3k. Nothing is more annoying than charger vs. charger combat when you have lessened range. Being the sadist I am, I like to have the advantage.

EDIT: Also I forgot to mention, I have shot underneath really tiny slits in things like billboards and killed people with a charger because I had a scope. It is beautiful and I suggest you try it sometime.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom