Contest: Make the Low Ink Map Pool

Riffy

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7886-8427-4387
map-iplabs-ink-pool.png

I tried to minimize the total amount of potential complaining with this maplist, hopefully it works out🤞

M2Nova

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-4074-1996-1312
I'll bite for the interaction bait
map-iplabs-ink-pool.png

TBob408

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-5648-5506-6493
The problem is TC and RM suck. It's almost impossible to find more than 3 maps in those modes that everyone will agree on. I always joke about how teams constantly counter pick TC Academy, but really there aren't many alternatives if you want to play TC.
idk about making a whole new map pool (I haven't played the new maps enough), but in discussions I've had with TOs like Baha_blast/Edenmori, it seems what would be best is this:
cb-5
tc-3
rm-3
sz-5
so we have 16 maps still but its focused on the two modes with more consistently above-average maps. in sets where you play the same mode twice, you play one of those two.
I say I discussed this with baha but this is more to what im leaning towards. I believe they were leaning more towards only a zones bias, so like 7 zones maps.

liligravybread

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0704-7291-1041
idk about making a whole new map pool (I haven't played the new maps enough), but in discussions I've had with TOs like Baha_blast/Edenmori, it seems what would be best is this:
cb-5
tc-3
rm-3
sz-5
so we have 16 maps still but its focused on the two modes with more consistently above-average maps. in sets where you play the same mode twice, you play one of those two.
I say I discussed this with baha but this is more to what im leaning towards. I believe they were leaning more towards only a zones bias, so like 7 zones maps.
the problem with uneven numbers of map modes is that if you have an even distribution of modes in a tournament map list then there’s more repetition of maps in tc and rm. testing who the best team on the weekend (or day) that tournament out of all the sign ups could be more dependent on how well they navigate and strategise on an uneven map list. it could end up closer to a question of ‘who is the best team when a map list favours teams better on mako mart?’

imo that’s kinda less good than a 5/5/5/5 or a 4/4/4/4 distribution of maps and modes where TOs try to at least made the final list as good and even and fair as possible.

taking the route of favouring certain maps or modes unevenly you may as well start looking into creating a gimmick tournament.

Squid Junction has 6 zones maps and 4 of the rest in their map pool which i think is the slightly better alternative in splatoon 3 tbh (i have more thoughts on zones in the thread on zones-only tournaments)

eggs

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0538-5429-4884

here's what I came up with, based on personal preference and experiences as a low level player
kind of a variation of a lot of other map pools already submitted, I think this wouldn't be bad :)

Attachments

Shortcake

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-1636-2040-6048
map-iplabs-ink-pool(2).png

i don't recall any of these ever being complained about on twitter*
*many of them also have not been talked about ever because why would you

CicadaFan

Inkling
map-iplabs-ink-pool.png

I'm sure some top level player has had something to say about Umami Zones, and I know some have about Mako Rain, so I'll have to apologize for not being better than IPL staff at what they've been doing for years.
I genuinely think Inkblot Tower and Shipshape Zones are the only two here that I felt I had to include only to pad out the number of maps, the rest of these I'd defend as genuine good choices.

TBob408

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-5648-5506-6493
the problem with uneven numbers of map modes is that if you have an even distribution of modes in a tournament map list then there’s more repetition of maps in tc and rm. testing who the best team on the weekend (or day) that tournament out of all the sign ups could be more dependent on how well they navigate and strategise on an uneven map list. it could end up closer to a question of ‘who is the best team when a map list favours teams better on mako mart?’

imo that’s kinda less good than a 5/5/5/5 or a 4/4/4/4 distribution of maps and modes where TOs try to at least made the final list as good and even and fair as possible.

taking the route of favouring certain maps or modes unevenly you may as well start looking into creating a gimmick tournament.

Squid Junction has 6 zones maps and 4 of the rest in their map pool which i think is the slightly better alternative in splatoon 3 tbh (i have more thoughts on zones in the thread on zones-only tournaments)
yea thats the point, you dont have an even distribution of modes. read my post again and if you still dont understand what i mean ill clarify

liligravybread

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0704-7291-1041
yea thats the point, you dont have an even distribution of modes. read my post again and if you still dont understand what i mean ill clarify
i see what you mean in terms of even distribution of modes but wont this still mean that some maps will show up more often?

Vicctorree

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-8023-4540-1833
Making map pools for tourneys in Splatoon 3 really sucks. Yeah sting ray in Splatoon 2 made RM frustrating, but now you got soda on TC. In Splatoon 2, TC Shipyard was a staple in map pools, you would get zero complaints about it except for those weirdos who wanted moray. But in Splatoon 3, TC Shipyard is seen as too snowbally.

To account for this, map pools started shrinking in Splatoon 3. Proving Grounds was one of the first tourneys to go with only 4 maps per mode for a total of 16 (4/16). InkTV took it a step farther with a 3/12 map pool. Low Ink took awhile, but I've managed to get it down to a comfy 5/20 which I think is fair considering it is a 2 day tourney with counter picks. Now you see a lot more tourneys starting to do the same, smaller pools focusing on just the "best" maps. The trick to make sure players don't complain about maps feeling too repetitive is to limit maps from appearing in more than 2 modes. Yes you could use Hagglefish, Museum, Mako, and Academy for 3 or some in all 4 modes, but limiting them to just 2 helps the players feel like things are more diverse despite the smaller map pool.

The problem is TC and RM suck. It's almost impossible to find more than 3 maps in those modes that everyone will agree on. I always joke about how teams constantly counter pick TC Academy, but really there aren't many alternatives if you want to play TC.

So here is a challenge to you, squidboard person. Make a tourney map pool and post it below. Rules are:
~ must include 5 maps for all 4 modes, 5/20
~ cannot repeat any map in more than 2 modes
~ cannot use any map that a top level player has tweeted about in a negative way (if you missed a tweet then you officially suck as a TO, I don't make the rules)

Best map pool will be used in Low Ink for February.

1706749768815.png
Fixed LI for you :heart emoji:

TBob408

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-5648-5506-6493
i see what you mean in terms of even distribution of modes but wont this still mean that some maps will show up more often?
well i mean, if you mean map-modes, ig the idea is to evenly distribute the maps by like, making every set run either clams or zones twice in a bo5, and in a bo3 every set has clams and zones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom