Coolest Color Combination

Newtonjar

Senior Squid
The title is pretty self explanatory. Talk about what your favorite ink color combo is and why. I personally love the pink and blue one because it always makes me think of cotton candy and cotton candy makes me really happy.

What about you?

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Purple and yellow-green. It makes me think of neon yellow-green lights glowing in a city with a literally(?) purple atmosphere, which I would consider to be an awesome-looking setting.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
If it helps you guys any, I've compiled every color pair I could find. I found 16 and labeled each of them as such (though they're really meant for my personal use). Some of them are very similar to each other, however, and I haven't documented colors in previous Splatfests, as I doubt they'll ever be used again. I'll update this post if I find more, and please let me know if you found a color pair in a non-Splatfest match I don't have listed below.

I chose images where significant amounts of both colors are present and most of the shot is set in bright daylight to avoid confusion where areas are shaded. This image was also shrunk to half its regular size for filesize reasons; I wanted to avoid excessive JPEG compression as that distorts colors. Note that these are not official names, but names I made up myself for my convenience.

If they are unreadable, from left to right, top to bottom, they are:
PB&J (Art vs. Science Splatfest)
Action Movie Poster Lite
Joker
Radioactive Watermelon
Dolphins
Lakers
Berry Mint
Grapevine
Ghoulia Yelps
Sweden
Raspberry Lime
Koi Pond
Cotton Candy
Strawberry Lemonade
Cirqus Voltaire
Action Movie Poster

Last edited:

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
^ Of those, I LOVE Radioactive Watermelon. I think it looks really cool compared to some of the other combos. My least favorite would have to be Lakers, I'm just not a fan of the orange/yellow color and the purple doesn't go that well with it.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
If it helps you guys any, I've compiled every color pair I could find. I found 16 and labeled each of them as such (though they're really meant for my personal use). Some of them are very similar to each other, however, and I haven't documented colors in previous Splatfests, as I doubt they'll ever be used again. I'll update this post if I find more, and please let me know if you found a color pair in a non-Splatfest match I don't have listed below.

I chose images where significant amounts of both colors are present and most of the shot is set in bright daylight to avoid confusion where areas are shaded. This image was also shrunk to half its regular size for filesize reasons; I wanted to avoid excessive JPEG compression as that distorts colors. Note that these are not official names, but names I made up myself for my convenience.

If they are unreadable, from left to right, top to bottom, they are:
PB&J (Art vs. Science Splatfest)
Action Movie Poster Lite
Joker
Radioactive Watermelon
Dolphins
Lakers
Berry Mint
Grapevine
Ghoulia Yelps
Sweden
Raspberry Lime
Koi Pond
Cotton Candy
Strawberry Lemonade
Cirqus Voltaire
Action Movie Poster
I love how you likened two color combos to sports teams. XD

Also, I think you're missing the controversial purple and pink combo, and I know for a fact that a tomato-saucy red is used in ranked, too.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Wait, you mean there are mode-exclusive colors too, besides Splatfests? And I thought the purple-and-pink combination was used only in the Transformers Splatfest.

I have definitely seen that weird red though. I looked through my archive footage and it never came up, so I guess it's rare or something.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'll go with @Zombie Aladdin's Joker combination, with Action Poster being my second choice

Edit: Now that I think about it, we have enough material for a poll

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
I've been playing when Cirqus Voltaire is on... it seems to be an extremely intense match when it happens.

EdgyTriangle

Inkling
NNID
EdgyTriangle
Anything that includes a teal or a purple color in it is awesome by my book. I'm preferential towards the cool colors of the spectrum, but the red-orange color is pretty nice too.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Wait, you mean there are mode-exclusive colors too, besides Splatfests? And I thought the purple-and-pink combination was used only in the Transformers Splatfest.

I have definitely seen that weird red though. I looked through my archive footage and it never came up, so I guess it's rare or something.
Ranked battles have different combos than in regular battles. Also, I may be wrong on this, but isn't the purple and pink color combo one of the few in squad battles (at least with two 2-player squads)? I entered such battles with someone and always got the same colors. I'm not sure if anything changed or something, but I'm just telling my observations. I'm 100% sure about ranked battles having different color combinations, though.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Is that true? Turf Wars and Ranked Battles have completely different color combinations?

I've never played Squad, so I wouldn't know if there are Squad-exclusive color pairs. I've observed these color combinations enough to know if I encounter one I've never seen before though.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Now that I think about it, was the tomato-sauce red the red in the Koi Fish color combo? Or maybe it's just orange after all, and the red is still out there?

Anyways, yes; color combos differ between ranked and regular battles. If you check the screenshots you posted, @Zombie Aladdin, some of them have ranked match graphics (such as Sweden and Koi Fish), while others don't (Action Movie Poster and its Lite counterpart).

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Well, I didn't pay attention to which ones were which; I just grabbed footage of as many matches as possible (though the only Splatfest I got was Art vs. Science, as that's when I started documenting them). Looking at some more matches today, I think you're absolutely right. As for the tomaro red one, I can swear it was paired up with a more distinct green than that, but I'll look into that a bit more. It might be in a Squad color pair.

Ametrine

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ferrethugger98
I love Radioactive Watermelon, Ghoulia Yelps and Berry Mint. Anything that includes the sky blue ink color introduced with the Squid Girl outfit is cool too.

HarleyHyena

Inkling
NNID
HarleyHyena
I really like the Ghoulia Yelps and Berry Mint color combos. Hard to chose which I like out of both though

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
Is that true? Turf Wars and Ranked Battles have completely different color combinations?
Yes they do!
I've never played Squad, so I wouldn't know if there are Squad-exclusive color pairs.
They do! It used to always be a special pink and green (as seen here), then they added the Autobots/Decepticons colours too. Also Octo Valley has some unique colours, and the only colour pair that was Splatfest-exclusive was the Lemon Tea vs. Milk Tea one.

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid

Here's some more colour combinations from a Sunken Scroll in-game. Never seen that green and purple in the bottom left.

Artakha

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Artakha
I loved the PB&J colors. I wish that was an official set of colors.

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
I gotta say I love these colours right here:
Berry Mint
Grapevine
Cotton Candy
Strawberry Lemonade
Ghoulia Yelps
They're the best lookin' colours IMO.

CyrTheRaven

Inkling
NNID
CyrWoods
I love Action Movie Poster!! Especially since that blue is my favorite color!! :) I always called it the "Portal" combination, for obvious reasons :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom