• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Count to 5,000 Inklings

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I wanna hold out until the Fibonacci number, but let's not cause this thread to stagnate. 88 it is.

Question: I noticed that the Inkling count and the post numbers don't agree. This can be traced back to posts #56~9, over the course of which a surprising number of things go wrong. This is displeasing. Can we... can we kind of just add an extra Inkling to bring the count back?

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Not yet, I was thinking about this number and I got 8^1+9^2 which is pretty cool.

edit: So, I figured out how to type exponents (I don't think they work on this site though), but I'm still not sure what a q prime is, could you explain that to me?

Last edited:

IoCal

Inkling
90 inklings

If we have a choice of two types of shoes, 3 shirts, 3 hats, and 5 different weapons, we'll need 90 inklings if we want to have them wear all the possible combinations simultaneously.

Last edited:

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
So I'm technically breaking a rule but not really because I'm going to skip ahead to 92 so the posts = the number, and there will have been 2 numbers between mine.

I found the book I was looking for! It has random facts for every number up to 200 (and factors each of them). So apparently there are 92 ways to organize 8 queens on a chessboard without any of them being able to reach each other. There are basically only 12 positions but if you use rotation and reflection you can get 92. And that's not divisible by 12 because one of the positions is symmetrical, and can only be organized in 2 reflections and rotations rather than 4 of each, so you get 11×8+4 positions instead of 12×8 positions. And also, I really like chess! My school has a chess club that I attend every week. I don't play as much in Summer, though.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Chess! I used to play it. Then I moved to a private school, and it turns out that private school kids are scarily good at it. So I basically haven't touched it for almost five years. That book wouldn't happen to be something something Curious And Interesting Numbers, would it? Because I own that.

And thanks for bringing the count up!

93 days in three long months, although there are no three consecutive 31-day months. If there were 369 days in a year and all months had 30 days or 31, there definitely would be (Dirichlet's pigeonhole principle! It's fairly obvious logic but I sound clever when I call it that).

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Well... uh, 10 + 18x > 5x^3... I don't know how to solve depressed cubics, alas, but we can just substitute integers in until it works. And it does for 2 but not 3! So if we were working in a weird, warped Base 2 in which we could use any digits, you'd be correct.

Oh, and here's 96, bringing with it approximately a zillion factors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom