Debate! - Should Autobomb be affected by Cold Blooded?

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Discuss as if you were on the Splatoon 2 dev team.

Cephalobro

Hmm, this one is tough, on one hand, it would stop the spamming that prevents me from counter-attacking but on the other, so many players would run this along with some Ninja Squid gear, thus making the Auto Bombs useless against sneak-attackers.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Let's get rid of both. Problem solved!
*collects paycheck* (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)و

But really, it'd be nice if cold-blooded was actually useful even on a semi-regular basis. Maybe it wouldn't shut down autobombs entirely but change a parameter like fuse time, ping range, tracking distance, startup time, walk speed, or whatever.

Inkling kirby

Semi-Pro Squid
They're both pretty sub-par in their respective categories. If cold-blooded did affect it, I'd say it should reduce fuse time up to 75% (meaning one main would reduce by 22.5%) and reduce ping range by up to 50% (one main = 15%), also meaning the player would have to be closer to an autobomb than other teammates to be chosen as the target over them proportional to reduction of ping range (sorry if that's confusing). They should give the autobomb some buff though as well. I have no idea what, though.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Normally i'd say no, but because you said that hypothetically if i were on the splatoon 2 dev team, i'm gonna vote yes

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Cold Blooded is currently a garbage ability, so sure, I'd say reasonable buffing in respect to Autobombs would be fine. Have it reduce the bomb's sensitivity range by up to 50% (with the max of 57 points in Cold Blooded). I'm not sure about reducing the "fuse time"--do you mean it should walk around for a shorter amount of time/distance (less relentless pursuit)? Certainly having the actual detonation time be shorter would be a detriment to the Cold Blooded user. Reducing the walking time could be weird in respect to how it interacts with other players (they might be expecting it to chase someone and get caught as it blows up early).

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Memery aside, no. The problem isn't that CB is too niche in it's current state. It's that it's too weak.

Theoretically it could function really well as a Stingray counter, but the problem is that it does too little to reduce your visibility. CB could see some use if they give it the same buff that QSJ/SS got, where it scales better if you only get 1-2 subs of it. Another CB buff I've thought up that would be cool if it would require your inkling to take more damage before it'd show up on the enemy map.
But in it's current state, it really doesn't need to counter one of the worst sub weapons in the game. Both need a buff, but not against eachother.

Inkling kirby

Semi-Pro Squid
Cold Blooded is currently a garbage ability, so sure, I'd say reasonable buffing in respect to Autobombs would be fine. Have it reduce the bomb's sensitivity range by up to 50% (with the max of 57 points in Cold Blooded). I'm not sure about reducing the "fuse time"--do you mean it should walk around for a shorter amount of time/distance (less relentless pursuit)? Certainly having the actual detonation time be shorter would be a detriment to the Cold Blooded user. Reducing the walking time could be weird in respect to how it interacts with other players (they might be expecting it to chase someone and get caught as it blows up early).
Yes I meant it walks around for less time if it doesn't reach its target, but you made a good point with the way it might confuse players.

BirdAndreo

Senior Squid
Lol, cold blooded doesn't even work against Beacon's new feature. Pretty sure devs forgot about it.

But i would say yes. Autobomb tracks you and CB is supposed to counter tracking effects

Azure ST

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-2076-3733-1036
They should give the autobomb some buff though as well. I have no idea what, though.
Well i just found out from 5 minutes of testing (more of which would help) that an autobomb paints about as well as 5/9s of a suction bomb or ~70% of a splat bomb, so that's one place to start.

Ping range and persistence are two things it probably doesn't need a buff in (unless cold blooded gets involved?). A bit of anything else looks like fair game

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I would just say yes cause Cold Blooded needs more uses.
And while we are at it, why not make Tenta Missiles target you slower too, then it would be relatively useful to have.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
This seems to be going very well!

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Alright, ladies and gents, it is time to make a final decision before we move on; How should Cold Blooded affect autobombs?

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Honestly, would not oppose. Cold-Blooded needs more reason to exist.

I'd say it just stops chasing the user in proportion to the amount of Cold-Blooded they have. (What is the max duration an Autobomb will chase a user for anyways?)

Last edited:

Azure ST

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-2076-3733-1036
I'm thinking that cold blooded could cause premature detonation, I.e. making the bomb detonate further away from the player. Not sure how that'd work in practice

Cephalobro

Remember, the purpose of the Auto Bomb is be an anti-camper sub, so maybe only reduce 15% of the amount of time an Auto Bomb walks before exploding. That way, sneak-attackers can still be flushed out but the Auto Bomb doesn't chase as long.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
4 hours 'till we need a final decision (4:30).

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Please, don't just say "oh yeah, totally!" but keep asking yourself further: Why? Why should Autobomb be affected by CB? Would this encourage anyone to pick CB now? What does this change in the meta? How will this affect Autobomb, the weapons that have Autobomb and does it need a nerf? How severe should it's effects be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom