Describe the 'Signature' above you?

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
A lot of orange words and gear (except for the noise cancelers). You must really love the color orange.

Achamo

Inkling Commander
NNID
KupoSuppi
Jeez! This feels like a very eye catching fic in a sense!

Also, I think the MODs banned animated signatures now... *Sigh*!
I'm going to have to fix mine into something else when I have the time. </3

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
All of the sniper's lines from Meet the Sniper.

Also, I think the MODs banned animated signatures now... *Sigh*!
I'm going to have to fix mine into something else when I have the time. </3
Actually, I think it has to do with the forum's switch to HTTPS. The external images are now being fetched through a proxy so that's probably where it's breaking. I'm curious enough about it that I'm going to try to look into exactly what the problem is. ;)

Edit: I noticed that the missing-image image that is being returned by the proxy is also being served with the header x-proxy-error: retrieve_failed, so the problem is like I thought: the forum's proxy is failing somehow. I'm going to look into it more and test some theories, but I think it actually has to do with how your signature changes to different images.

2nd Edit: The way the Universal Sig Rotator works is by responding with a redirect (Specifically a 302 FOUND response) that points to the image it selected out of your pool. So, I went and quickly wrote and put up a page on my server that serves exactly such a response that points to an image on my server. Sure enough, that failed in exactly the same way. Just to be sure the proxy isn't doing something stupid like checking for a file extension, I then rewrote the page so it actually sends the image itself, and it worked.

(On a side note I accidentally discovered that the proxy refuses to work with SVG images… I find that pretty appalling.)

So, the problem is that when the proxy gets the redirect, instead of doing what any HTTP client (like a web browser) is supposed to do and request the new URL it was just given, the proxy just gives up and returns that missing-image placeholder.

I recommend you bring this up with the admins and either quote or point to this post.

(Sorry about the lateness of this second edit. I finished just after the nightly backup started. :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Admin
Premium
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
Warchamp7
All of the sniper's lines from Meet the Sniper.

Actually, I think it has to do with the forum's switch to HTTPS. The external images are now being fetched through a proxy so that's probably where it's breaking. I'm curious enough about it that I'm going to try to look into exactly what the problem is. ;)

Edit: I noticed that the missing-image image that is being returned by the proxy is also being served with the header x-proxy-error: retrieve_failed, so the problem is like I thought: the forum's proxy is failing somehow. I'm going to look into it more and test some theories, but I think it actually has to do with how your signature changes to different images.

2nd Edit: The way the Universal Sig Rotator works is by responding with a redirect (Specifically a 302 FOUND response) that points to the image it selected out of your pool. So, I went and quickly wrote and put up a page on my server that serves exactly such a response that points to an image on my server. Sure enough, that failed in exactly the same way. Just to be sure the proxy isn't doing something stupid like checking for a file extension, I then rewrote the page so it actually sends the image itself, and it worked.

(On a side note I accidentally discovered that the proxy refuses to work with SVG images… I find that pretty appalling.)

So, the problem is that when the proxy gets the redirect, instead of doing what any HTTP client (like a web browser) is supposed to do and request the new URL it was just given, the proxy just gives up and returns that missing-image placeholder.

I recommend you bring this up with the admins and either quote or point to this post.

(Sorry about the lateness of this second edit. I finished just after the nightly backup started. :rolleyes:)
Heya, you are correct. For security reasons the image proxy does not follow redirects I'm afraid.

Apologies for the inconvenience :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom