• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Discussing Inkling/Octoling Biology

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
In the liquid model as I understand it, the body is composed of solidified ink, but the organs are distributed throughout the body in kid form.

The ink itself in this model is held together by various biological apparati, can contract like muscular tissue, contains things like blood vessels and other small necesities, but can undergo controlled liquefacation to change forms. The bodily ink still forms tissue is still akin to flesh.

However, the liquid model body can be forcebly liquified by water or enemy ink, triggering the splat reflex.

In the morpha model as I understand it, the inkling's true body is a small entity embedded in the inkling. Said body is probably the "soul". The rest of the body is simply ink solidified into a fleshy substance, perhaps with some organic structures to hold it together. Under this model, the inkling's ink body is controlled by something akin to telikinesis by the true body.

Of course, since you were the one who proposed the morpha theory in the first place, you probably understand it better than I, so I may have grouped it into the wrong model.

Perhaps this third model should be renamed the "ink mech" model or something similar?

In the meantime, I need to figure out why squidboards just turned blue.

Edit: once again, I am beginning to realize that these models are not independant of one another. Rather, they are points on a spectrum of... fluidity vs solidity?

No worries everyone: I have solved the problem of squidboard's changing colors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Perhaps... as the ice becomes water becomes vapor, perhaps these models are various physical states the Inklings take on?

Like, the kid form is the Solid Squid model/state, and going into squid form is akin to the Solid Squid melting into the Liquid Squid/Form. So the Spirit Squid (as I call it), flying away from the splatted Inkling body, is like gaseous water vapor floating way from boiling water, so the Biomcha Squid model is the Gaseous state.

I mean, ink ain't water, but it kinda fits.

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
That's not what I meant, but it's an interesting idea...

If we take a look at the spectrum here, the solid model marks one end of it. Inklings in this model have sound biological structures, and are not harmed by contact with water (at tolerable temperatures). However, they are apparently too dense to effectively swim.

At the other end of the spectrum, we have... animated ink. The inklings in this model are composed entirely of ink. The states of matter flareth mentioned fit best here; the full-paint inklings are solid in kid form, liquid (ish) in squid form, and gaseous in soul form.

By the way...
This may not be what you meant, but when I said that the models were on a spectrum, I didn't mean that inklings could switch models. I meant that there were too many interpretations to firmly deliniate just a few, hyperspecific models.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I wonder if Inklingshe can get stuck in one form or another. Like maybe some kind of genetic disorder where they live their whole lives in one form and can't change over.

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
Given that inklings slowly grow from a squid baby to a humanoid form, and then simply gain the ability to go squid again at 14, I think this could only lock inklings into kid form.

To be forced into squid form that way would be the equivelant of a human whose body never grows past infancy.

Anyway, if an inkling's bodily liquefacation process were to be disfunctional, that inkling would be unable to turn into a squid.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The only defects in cephalopods that I know of are malformed arms in octopods (seven arms instead of eight, arms that are forked at the tip, & so on).

What you're suggesting sounds like something that would seriously affect an Inkling's ability to survive past larvahood. I'd say it's not out of the question, though.

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
...actually, an inability to liquidize likely wouldn't affect an inkling until 14...
In most models.

Most likely, the defect would be caused bt the liquidization factor not "activating" when it should.

...Come to think of it, how rigid are baby inklings?
They can't turn into squids, and don't develop distinct skin colors until 14.

...if you take the skin tone of inklings to be a coating of more solid ink to protect against the environment (and water and enemy ink), it could mean that inkling youngsters must be constantly monitored to make sure they don't dry out.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Globin347 said:
it could mean that inkling youngsters must be constantly monitored to make sure they don't dry out.
That could be quite a job. Irl, squids can lay up to 70K eggs. That would explain the enormous number of squid kids in game.

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
Oceanic squids may do that... but, given the fact that inklings live in an industrial society, meaning lower death rates, and the fact that they can live long enough to see their grandchildren grow up, I think inklings would all starve if they had that many children.

Plus: the fact that cuttlefish knows his grandchildren means that inklings have parental care, which only works with a small number of offspring.

And yes, I suppose amphibians may be a good comparison, although they need to keep moist all their lives, rather than just until 14.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
I wonder if Inklingshe can get stuck in one form or another. Like maybe some kind of genetic disorder where they live their whole lives in one form and can't change over.
Funny you mention that.

Because I figured Octavio unable to change into Human-Form, due to that injury he suffered.
Remember the scar?

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
That's an interesting thought... but if octavio is indeed an octoling, why is he so big?

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
the fact that cuttlefish knows his grandchildren means that inklings have parental care, which only works with a small number of offspring.
That is based on the fact that it is exclusively a human phenomenon, and humans tend to have less children than other animals because of how our physiology works. Parenting is also necessary as humans are completely helpless as infants. It's hard to say how parenting would work with a species designed for having large numbers of offspring that is more or less self sufficient from day one. All we can say based on in-game content is that Cpt. Cuttlefish has a good relationship with Callie and Marie.

While I agree that 70k kids per pregnancy is not sustainable, squids are biologically engineered for mass births. I would imagine that Inkling families would be considerably larger than human ones.

As for food, that depends on how much they actually need to eat and how hard-lined we are going to be about explaining in-game phenomena. A Wii U running in a Best Buy means that inkling will be maintaining high levels of activity without eating for roughly 12 hours. Theoretically, someone could keep their Wii U running 24+ hours straight, keeping passing the controller around to other players and rack up a day's worth of match play time, meaning that Inkling will be participating in a physically demanding sporting event for 24+ hours without eating. :(

If we use the Morpha model and their actual selves are small cores, they may not need to eat very much. If we don't, we can't exclude the possibility that they can sustain themselves off of their ink and only eat every now and then.

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
or the babies fight to the death and the few surviving get to live (lol i'm so tired) but as a general rule most living things can go days without food (including us) but seeing how active turf wars is they may eat while the game finds people to battle

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
Well, looking at the inkling development chart, at least the babies look pretty helpless. The fact that camp triggerfish exists also suggests that juvenile inklings are not competing for the privelage of reaching adulthood (remembering that turf wars are sporting events where nobody experiences pernanent harm (thanks to respawn points.))

Given the fact that large land animals were wiped out, the only predators of inklings would be other evolved sea life, which we haven't seen a great deal of. Of course, we don't see the wild in splatoon, so this may be a moot point.

Anyway, the fact that inklings can live over 100 years suggests that they have few predators, and thus a vastly greater chance of living to adulthood.

If you pay attention to wildlife, you will notice that long-lived animals, like humans, lions, elephants, and so on, tend to have few predators, while animals that everyone eats, like mice, rabbits, and bugs, are rather short-lived.
This is not a coincidence (although there are several exceptions)

If one considers these things, alongdide the fact that living in an industrial society, which drastically lowers death rates, it is very likely that inklings have evolved (both biologically and cultutally) to have fewer children, as so to take better care of each one.

Admittedly, each individual bit of evidence is rather sketchy, but they add up.

Also, I think that the prolonged gameplay and matches happening one after another can be written off as "gameplay and story segregation".

Splatoon would be a less engaging game if you had to stop to let the inkling eat, sleep, etcetera, and it would be really boring if you had to wait for the inkling to schedule a spot in a turf war, wait for the match to start, move to the battle arena, wait for judd to observe the entire battlefield to see who won, etcetera.

Splatoon is a 3rd person shooter, not a life simulator.

Last edited:

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Splatoon would be a less engaging game if you had to stop to let the inkling eat, sleep, etcetera, and it would be really boring if you had to wait for the inkling to schedule a spot in a turf war, wait for the match to start, move to the battle arena, wait for judd to observe the entire battlefield to see who won, etcetera.

Splatoon is a 3rd person shooter, not a life simulator.
Pity. I was looking forward to my Inklings driving test and first night boozing.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Speaking of adulthood and the like: All Inklings participating in Turf Wars, are kids.
And according to a developer interview, they are around the final ages, when they consider Turf Wars "cool".

Meaning that after reaching a certain age, they will grow bored of it and look for a deeper meaning in life.
Job, love, etc.
Which basicly confirms that adult Inklings exist.
Then again, the existence of Captain Cuttlefish and the Sunken Scrolls, should've confirmed that from the get-go.

I guess Turf Wars are to them, what Playgrounds are to our kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom