1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Discussing Inkling/Octoling Biology

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by Paragon-Yoshi, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Globin347

Globin347 Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    ThePowerPigeon
    Most of us do seem to think that only inklings and octolings are able to respawn. If you have more questions, I advise you to look through this thread. I know it's long, but a ton of different points are addressed.

Ansible likes this.
  2. Globin347

Globin347 Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    ThePowerPigeon
    Actually, those of us who've been on the thread for a while are of the opinion that inkling/octarian ink is actually a highly acidic substance (possibly a sort of living thing?) that violently attacks organic matter that doesn't contain certain identifier proteins (except plants, apparently.) The proteins correspond to ink color, and an inkling can change the protein they are using. If you want to hear more about this, read the thread in depth, if you have the time... It's pretty long at this point.

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Dragoon29
    I already have, and you all have some interesting points. I just wanted to share my thoughts on the matter.

Globin347 likes this.
  4. Globin347

Globin347 Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    ThePowerPigeon
    So, the octo expansion DLC has dropped, and I’m sure there’s something relevant in there somewhere. A warning to those who haven’t playe; spoilers abound, so tread lightly.

...assuming anybody is still watching this thread.

5. Globin347

Globin347 Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    ThePowerPigeon
    To begin...
    Partway through the story, Agent 8 and Cuttlefish get trapped in a blender, and it’s made pretty clear they’d have died if Agent 3 hadn’t pulled a ceiling drop. So, what does this mean? Could Agent 8 and cuttlefish not have just hid in their “soul” forms to survive? Is that only possible with a spawn point? Or would they just have been unable to hold the form for more than a few seconds, after which their internal organs would have come falling out right into the blades?

On a similar note, I believe it was I’mplied that Tartar’s green ink was the result of the other blended test subjects, including the octarians made from it. Going on the hypothesis that Inkling and Octoling ink is actually a separate life form in a symbiotic relationship with the ink creatures, this has interesting implications.

Also, it was (to my knowledge) never confirmed that octolings are grown in test tubes, but that would explain their uncanny resemblance to inklings. That character select screen may have been something else, though; perhaps the process of pulling Agent 8 into the metro?

Ansible likes this.
  6. RainbowOni

RainbowOni Inkster Jr.

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-6643-4364-0032
    I don't exactly like to get too involve with stuff like this that not even the developers really gave much thought about. But I do know a few things here and there that I'll be happy to share.

In a interview with one of the developers, they mention that inklings are kind of tomboyish, air headed and carefree. While Octolings are serious, quiet and very clever. This is reflected when the developer mentions that Inklings til this day still haven't caught on that octolings are living with them.

Octolings produce asexual. In the splatoon 1/2 artbook it mentions that simply cutting one will give birth to anew.

In the recent haikara walker, it explains that Octolings tend to be serious and glare at things that catch their interest which can be mistaken as rude.

Octolings are completely new to the inkling world, which is why they often look confuse and expressionless.

Inklings are apparently very aggressive creatures but so are Octolings, aggressive in the competitive sense.

7. HighColorSunset

HighColorSunset Full Squid

NNID:
    AmazingStrange9
    I've always sort of wondered how Inklings wash themselves or quench their thirsts if they're so sensitive to water. Although maybe they just can't be immersed in water, maybe they'll drown if they try to swim, and touching/drinking water is okay.

8. Aguilar

Aguilar Inkling

Nintendo stated that water diffuses the solid ink that is the skin of an Inkling, hence why they dissolve in water. I think the insides are different, though. So they may drink water/soda/juice/etc.