• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Discussion: It is important to minimise deaths

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I have to admit this thread has some really important points and I feel there are a few things I do need to improve on, but I do think you forgot to key in a important fact.
Special depletion
Keep in mind that when you die you risk some of your gauge in the process, however this goes both ways, keeping an priority enemy from getting inkarmor can be more beneficial at time than you staying alive...not all the time remind you since again you risk support your team could get from your special/coverage.
But at times it is better to put your life on the line than allow the enemies to make stronger pushes
I totally forgot about this. One of the things that annoys me when teammates don't help enough with kills is that 2-4 specials popping off at the same time can swing a game. What a great point.

Same with kiwi-tea's point about knowing when kills will help with a push and when it won't. This is something that I need to remember more. I'll get mad when I wipe a team and my team doesn't push, but wanting my team to be in the position to push isn't the same as them actually being in position to push.

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
The problem is not about your high k/d or a low death rate. It is about playing the objective. One player might have went 10-3, but was he helping with the objective? Did he fail to help clear a path for rm? Did he fail to help defend the zone? Did he see his teammate in a battle, and instead of helping, retreat? Does he flee away from the tower the second the enemy approaches, or does he risk death in order to take the lead?
Once you get to the S+ level, you are never going to complain about a teammate that can get kills. What he does after that is important tho. If he goes to no man's land and starts inking territory, that is bad. If he picks up rm, starts riding tower, or helping create 2 on 1 advantages, then that is good.

This is what separates good players from great players. I'd rather have a teammate (unless they are an anchor weapon) that goes 8-10 than one that goes 5-3. This shows me that they were constantly engaging the enemy and playing creating pressure. This probably means they constantly grabbed rm, distracted the charger, or became a helpful distraction for an ally charger.

I think your topic has good points, but the numbers by themselves can be confusing.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
The problem is not about your high k/d or a low death rate. It is about playing the objective. One player might have went 10-3, but was he helping with the objective? Did he fail to help clear a path for rm? Did he fail to help defend the zone? Did he see his teammate in a battle, and instead of helping, retreat? Does he flee away from the tower the second the enemy approaches, or does he risk death in order to take the lead?
Once you get to the S+ level, you are never going to complain about a teammate that can get kills. What he does after that is important tho. If he goes to no man's land and starts inking territory, that is bad. If he picks up rm, starts riding tower, or helping create 2 on 1 advantages, then that is good.

This is what separates good players from great players. I'd rather have a teammate (unless they are an anchor weapon) that goes 8-10 than one that goes 5-3. This shows me that they were constantly engaging the enemy and playing creating pressure. This probably means they constantly grabbed rm, distracted the charger, or became a helpful distraction for an ally charger.

I think your topic has good points, but the numbers by themselves can be confusing.
I'm a huge NBA fan, so this reminds me of a basketball quasi-adage. A few years back, this one NBA player (I forget who) said that whenever he came home from high school games and told his dad how many points he scored, his dad would ask him, "Okay, but how many fouls did you pick up?" The idea being: if he picked up too few fouls, he wasn't playing physical enough defense.

Low deaths are great in general, but sometimes (not, not, not always... not at all), they indicate a player didn't engage the enemy enough. They weren't where they needed to be. It's a weird thing because you need to stay alive to push the objective, but (unless you're lucky or just soooo much better than your opponent) if you are pushing the objective correctly, you're probably going to die at least a few times.

Tangentially related, I play a lot of pairs/team league with my wife, who is probably a little better than the average person you'll see in turf wars but a little worse than the average you'll see in ranked. Especially when we do teams, she's always the one to carry the rainmaker or ride the tower. That's her designated role, and she picks up a lot of deaths doing that yet never complains. It's thankless and it isn't glamorous, but it allows the rest of us to do things we're good at in those modes and she isn't.

That's really off topic, though, and beyond the scope/point of the OP, but it IS an exception that proves the rule to some extent.

leowtyx

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
leowtyx
I think Tri-Slosher is still too much aiming for Scrubs.

Try the Dynamo Roller ;)

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
Now that Quick Respawn is out of the picture, avoiding death is more important than it's ever been. Sure, if you keep foes out of the game more than you're out of the game, that is technically good, but it can all be for naught if you die at a crucial moment. Removing circumstances isn't really possible because one death at any point can result in a snowball effect with the extreme pace of this game.
sucks now how respawn works the rules for it to take affect are wierd and now stealth jump only working to players in distance????? kills that for me also.....so if you got someone alive and he falls back at least you got someone to jump to.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
sucks now how respawn works the rules for it to take affect are wierd and now stealth jump only working to players in distance????? kills that for me also.....so if you got someone alive and he falls back at least you got someone to jump to.
Hey, don't give up on Stealth Jump, it's still handy, it's functionality just changed. The distance for it to work is about the range of the .96 Gal, which isn't THAT far, and it no longer adds a delay to your jump. So you can't just invisibly leap to the center of combat anymore, but it's good protection against snipers and ambushers.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
my whole build before as a up close main weapon was respawn and stealth jump and hopefully kill 2 to 1 in tight and repawn and get back there asap and now that concept is kind of not doable so i need a whole new look at my gear and change how i play the game for splat 2 compared to splat 1, i'm getting close to being back in S class so i need to figure this out lol so i thik staying alive on these maps means more than ever now. especially since they all seem so easly to get back into the shooting.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Well... yeah. If your playstyle strictly depended on how abilities worked before, you need to rethink things. The game's changed, ADAPT OR DIE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom